Golf Ball Roundup-- Hex Black, Hex Chrome, Q-Star, Z-Star XV, FG Tour, E6, Velocity, 330-RX, 330-RXS

morebeerbettergolf

Over the course of the past month I have been switching on and off with different balls for practice rounds, sometimes playing 3 different balls per hole when things are slow. Here are some of my observations coming from a high spin/high launch mid capper with a 112 driver/90 MPH 6i SS. I play a variety of courses from really well maintained privates to municipal dog tracks. My strength is tee-green, weakness is mostly putting and some inconsistent chipping. I swing like an a****** on drives so a low spin ball off the tee helps me noticeably and is a priority of mine. I like a soft but solid compressed feeling off the irons and wedges, and mid-soft feel in the short game and putting. (I.E. Cally iZ too hard and clicky, TM Penta too spinny and mushy). Sooo enough about me, let's talk about balls.

Bridgestone E6:

The E6 has been my go-to ball the past 2 seasons as I was suffering from a dreaded high fade (Thanks 910D2 with crappy stock shaft) that I have since put behind me. I always score very well with this ball. Long and straight on drives, good roll out. For me, I have no trouble stopping this ball on the greens whatsoever on approaches. Plan the rollout on chips and pitches accordingly though. Seems jumpy on really hot days on touch shots and putts. More people should probably be playing this ball, but the ego dictates playing a ball that probably costs them a few strokes a round.

Callaway Hex Black:

I used to play the Cally Tour iX exclusively and liked it really well, albeit a bit clicky. I feel that this ball embodies everything I loved about the iX, but with an overall softer feel, straighter off the tee, and better feel off the putter. Callaway has a real winner in this ball! Bought another dozen with the Ernie Els discount and have been very happy. Spins plenty for me into greens, drives straight, feels great off all clubs for me, really wouldn't change much at all about it. Outside of the little splits around the hexes that don't seem to actually affect anything, the durability has been stellar as well. They seem to stay whiter than the Callaways of old.

Callaway Hex Chrome:

I played a dozen Chrome earlier in the season. Nice ball for sure, but never could fall in love with it. Reminds me a lot of the Q-Star, which *should* be a great ball for me, but just never really did anything particularly well for me. I feel the Hex Black is straighter off the tee, and spins better on approaches and chips/pitches. For only 90 cents a ball more (at full price) I will take the Hex Black every day of the week. Could definitely see the 85-95 MPH swing crowd digging this ball.

Srixon Z-Star XV:

I never was a fan of the Z-Star. Really squirrelly for me off my woods, felt good off irons and wedges and putter, but couldn't control them on long shots. On a whim I grabbed a sleeve of these one day and put the Tour Yellows into play. The first shot I hit with it I felt I got it pretty well, but when I got to it, it was farther (by a decent margin) than any other drive I have ever hit on that hole. In that first 9 holes I had 2 drives that were the furthest drives I had ever hit on those 2 respective holes...and I play this course a LOT. So it is super long, drives straight, and feels good off full iron shots. I hit one of the best, purest feeling 7 iron shots of my life into a green with the XV. Bounced, danced, and rolled back about 2 feet from the impact crater it left. (soft green). The durability is amazing--I hit an asphalt cart path and felt bad for the path. I love the Srixon Tour Yellow--You can see these things from space. If I have one gripe about these balls, it would be that they feel a bit "heavy" on half shots and chips. I think that firmer boundary or something has a role in this. They check up beautifully for me, almost too much sometimes. This is a great ball all around for a mid-higher swing speed player.

Wilson FG Tour:

I went ahead and bought a couple boxes of blems after reading all the hype and comparisons to the ProV1. I was never a big ProV1 fan either because again they could get out of control off the tee for me sometimes and spin too much on approaches. I was a little hesitant at first, (It's a Wilson!?!?) but after playing with them, was pleasantly surprised by the controllable driver spin combined with soft feel, and green side spin. For me, they don't seem to spin any more or less than the XV or Hex Black. I still haven't put this ball into play in a real competition yet because I am not sure I can trust it (myself?) off the tee yet, just need some more time with it to get a feel for it. My home course has some pretty tight fairways that dictate driver distance but have hazards on both sides. While a lot of people seem to compare the XV to the venerable TP Red, I feel the FG Tour seems more like TP Red than it does the ProV1. I still have 3 TP Red LDPs left and I hate to even play them because for me there still isn't quite anything that drives as true, plays as soft, keeps the ballflight down, and performs as consistently spin-wise as they do. If I didn't hate playing used balls (who knows where those balls have been!?!?!?) I would buy a bushel of them and store them like fine cigars.

Bridgestone 330-RX:

As the weather has cooled off some I have put the RX into play. I feel like this ball plays almost identical to the E6 but with more spin. Really a great ball and it will be between the RX and FG Tour as my go-to ball on cooler days this fall. I liked this dual dimple model better than the old model I last played a few years ago.

Bridgestone 330-RXS:

I grabbed a box of RXS after reading some good reviews, played a sleeve of them, and have the rest on eBay right now. (strjock81) for those of you interested. For ME, they were short off the tee, average on irons, and didn't provide really anything I can't get with any other premium ball that goes farther. They did drive straight, just consistently shorter than my other premium balls. I know they aren't really geared for my SS but I really didn't think it would make as much difference as it did.

Nike One Vapor Speed:

I hate Nike Golf. I don't doubt that with the resources Nike has, that they are fully capable of developing great products, but I have never spent a dime on any of their gear. Maybe it is because they have names for all their balls and equipment that seems to pander to high school aged kids and the 30-somethings that have 20 pairs of ancient Air Jordan's in their closet. For the most part, I prefer golf equipment that is traditionally named with letters/numbers and don't look like something Cheech and Chong designed. (Damn you TM for making the Rocketballz 3 wood and 3H so damn good) At any rate, I got a dozen of these for Christmas. I thought they sucked. Not really long, not really soft, not very spinny, not very straight. I gave the rest of them to my brother in law who loses balls like it's his job. They gone.

Titleist Velocity:

Now this may be my sleeper ball of the year. I bought a sleeve for a scramble, put them in play, and was impressed by the distance and lack of spin off the tee. Most of my memorable drives have been with this ball and the XV this year. What a lot of people are missing about this ball is that while it has virtually NO greenside spin, it actually has MORE approach spin than a NXT Tour S! Look at the chart, infidels! http://www.titleist....f-ball-fitting/ So imagine my surprise when I was spinning these back on par 3s and approach shots! "Aren't these supposed to be rocks?" I was thinking. These balls are really great tee to green, and seem to have a pretty stable distance off the scoring irons. I have hit a lot of great shots with this ball, really seems to be a fairway and green finder, a lot like the E6 but without that random flyer or hot feeling on chips.

Probably the ONLY thing keeping me from using this ball (except ego of course) the majority of my rounds is that it comes off my putter on fire (Scotty deep mill). Great for rainy slow green days, bad for fast undulating greens where touch is the key. If one is using an insert putter, it may not be so noticeable. This ball is probably being overlooked by a lot of people who assume they are rocks, but I think a lot of people who value straight, consistent ball flight, compressible feel off the irons, enough approach spin to hold greens, but can handle some rollout on chips and pitches will find a winner in this ball at its price point. Pretty impressive for a 2 piece distance IMO. And that's coming from someone who is pretty ABT. (Anything but Titleist)

Srixon Q-Star:

I think this ball is almost identical to the Chrome with slightly less spin on every club. Again this seems like a ball I should really like, but just have never gotten along well with it. Does anyone else ever think this ball looks bigger then normal? I don't know what it is about the Srixon Pure White but they look larger than other balls. This ball is ok at everything but not that great at anything for me. If I was still fighting the driver woes I experienced with the 910D2 (holy spin Batman!) it might be a player but since I have gotten driver figured out, it really doesn't have a place in my bag. Plus the commercials blow.

Updates 9/11/12:

Added an RX review...

Have ceased using the Velocity after I ran out of my dozen...I still love the ball tee-green but when chipping and putting it is a bit firm and hot feeling to me. Plus the durability for a surlyn ball is bafflingly bad. These get chewed up faster than any of the premium urethane balls in this post. No joke.

Have backed off on my Z Star XV love somewhat. Boy when I hit these well off the tee they seem to be longer than anything else I have put in play...but they seem to get squirrelly off the tee for me way more so than the Hex Black and FG Tour if I don't catch them just right. My personal theory is it is the ultra firm mantle layer that also makes it feel so "heavy" on chips and pitches. When I miss it slightly with the driver it seems to maybe not compress enough and results in a spinny 15-20 yard left or right ball flight that seems way more common with this ball than these others. Again, stupid long, but this phenomenon off the tee coupled with that heavy feeling has turned me off a bit. Still awesome in the wind.

As the season has worn on, I have gravitated towards the Hex Black and FG Tour... I simply have more confidence in these two balls from tee-green...they play well in wind, have adequate spin, are long and straight off the driver, have a nice soft feeling (particularly the FG), and the price was definitely right. Anyone who likes a soft urethane ball that hasn't tried the FG Tour is really missing out. I was pretty skeptical even after reading all the hype on the boards about this ball, and after buying 2 dozen blems, I figured I had about a 10% chance of liking them, but they have really grown on me. I would like to find some of the X model cheap and try them out especially if I could pick up a few more yards off the tee with a slightly firmer overall feel.

Well there you have it folks...my observations on these fine offerings. Feel free to agree, disagree, discuss, ask questions etc.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice reviews, other than the Black Hex, I tried the ones you mention and pretty much agree. However; urethane is for golf, surlyn is for the range - and I'm sticking to it.

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

Thanks for the review, I like the Hex Black (my current gamer) and the Z Star XV. I agree with the above poster, why try the RX-S? You should have tried the B330 or the B330-S. Also, I was surprised you decided to use the Nike Vapor Speed as your Nike offering. Similar to the RX and RX-S. I hit a 20XI-X earlier this year that I had picked up and really liked it, despite the poor reviews here. I swing around 105mph and it performed very well for me. Was also quite durable. Didn't float, however.......

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

[quote name='monkeynaut' timestamp='1345264926' post='5493110']
Why did you use RX or RXS? wrong ball for you. B330 should be great.
[/quote]

I have seen other higher swing speed players use the RX and RXS with good success, I was wanting to try a softer ball that I might put into play during the cooler months. I never have cared for the 330 it seemed rock hard.. I suppose now that they've softened up the 330 in the 330S I should give them a try.

[quote name='mukster' timestamp='1345297298' post='5494022']
Thanks for the review, I like the Hex Black (my current gamer) and the Z Star XV. I agree with the above poster, why try the RX-S? You should have tried the B330 or the B330-S. Also, I was surprised you decided to use the Nike Vapor Speed as your Nike offering. Similar to the RX and RX-S. I hit a 20XI-X earlier this year that I had picked up and really liked it, despite the poor reviews here. I swing around 105mph and it performed very well for me. Was also quite durable. Didn't float, however.......
[/quote]

As mentioned in my review, I played that Nike ball because it was given to me for Christmas. I played the 20 X I ball last year when I got a free sleeve and I thought it was a pretty decent ball.

Mere mortal here. SS is no higher than 93 mph. I LOVE the ZStar XV. When hit any where near the center it feels very nice and I have hit my longest drives of the year with it. And even with my paltry SS I get a tremendous amount of spin with my non-cc SM Vokeys and this is where the XV shines for me. Perfect amount of spin. I cant keep the higher spin balls on the green sometime.

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='MATEUSZEK' timestamp='1346737785' post='5582711']
After reading so many good reviews of the Callaway Hex Black I have just decided to buy 3 dozen. Hope I enjoy them as much as everyone else!
[/quote]

I think you will really enjoy them. In the time since I made this write up I have played more with each ball above. While I have yet to try the TP5 and 2012 B330/B330S, the ball I keep putting into play when it matters is the Hex Black. Everything I said about it above is still 100% spot on. I think for cooler days this fall the FG Tour may be my go-to ball. These 2 just seem to perform the most consistently for my swing and type of play.

The XV has since fallen out of favor for me, it just seems a little too firm to me on some shots and seems to get a little more squirrely off the tee when I don't put a great swing on it as compared to the Hex Black and FG Tour. Still like the Velocity but won't buy any more of them because I don't care for them off the putter, seem plenty hot at times and I don't need that.

Good post!, might try the Velocity myself.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

[quote name='TheOx' timestamp='1346789640' post='5586189']
I think it's hilarious you brought up the Q-Star's ball size. I always thought they looked dramatically bigger as well.
[/quote]

Yeah I dont know why but it sure looks bigger to me. I figured maybe other people would have noticed it but glad at least one person commented so I don't feel weird for thinking that. A ProV1x looks slightly bigger to me as well.

Tried the Callaway Black today for the first time.

I must say...

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW it is LONG off the tee and even with my irons it seemed to give me increased distance. I was in spots on fairways I've never been to before! I hit a few really nice draws as well, but ball isnt scared to go dead straight either.

My only beef so far is that it doesn't seem to have any green side spin. Maybe it was the course I was playing today but it just felt like the ball would roll out forever. Would definitely take some getting used to but it was only one round and I didnt' feel I played that well. Only thing working for me was the driver. Will update after another round or two.

[quote name='Curtis7218' timestamp='1347230033' post='5613341']
Bridgestone e6 hits longer and straighter than any ball I have ever played. They lack the zing onto the green, but with a SS I feel the distance trumps the short game. I would like to find the perfect alternative that gives me both.
[/quote]

I feel the the Bstone RX is virtually identical to the E6 but with a urethane cover. Drives silly straight, launches high and soft off the irons, but with more spin when you need it. It won't spin like a ProV1 but it spins enough to do what it needs to do. I don't have a problem with E6 approach shots holding the green, it's the shorter pitches and chips where it seems so hot and spinless. I bought a dozen RX on the bay the other day for $38 shipped and they sent me 2 dozen in 2 ball sleeves?!?!?!? Really like this ball especially with the weather cooling down.