2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway Hex Chrome+ vs. Tour iZ, Pro V1x

cantill2

Ok, so i drank some of the Phil Mickelson kool aid (i hate to admit) and I bought a dozen of the Hex Chrome+ balls to try them out on my country club. The 28.91 price was very nice and i was excited to see how this ball compares to my usual gamers (Pro V1x, Tour iz).

I'm a 2 handicap right now and swing the driver about 110 mph. I'm very good with my irons/driver and just ok with the short game/putting.

First thing i noticed with this hex chrome+ - there was a noticeable difference in both ball flight, spin, and distance. Normally, I can hit my 4-iron about 220 yards off the tee with either a tour iz or pro v1x ball. I was hitting this hex chrome+ around 230 yards. It seemed like all of my irons were about a half club longer. While this may sound great to some - it was not ok with me. I overshot many greens and when I did hit the green i didn't get enough spin. My 13th hole is an easy one - only about 370 yards... I hit 4-iron and had about 135 left. Normally i can hit a tour iz or pro v1x and it will spin back about 4 foot. I flushed the hex chrome plus and it landed and released about 6 foot.

Ball flight - the hex chrome+ seemed to be launching a little lower and with less spin off my clubs.

Distance - this is the only category the ball did well in. I was crushing everything - hitting my irons about 10 yards longer and my drives were going almost 5 yards longer. Even my mis-hit drives went further than with pro v1x or tour iz.

Durability - the ball was TERRIBLE here. My vokey wedges chewed the cover up on these balls (fish gills) like they were nothing. Additionally, the red paint number smeared on the ball after several shots. I don't know how to explain it other than the durability really disappointed me. I am a big fan of the tour iz and tour is ball, but this ball really didn't feel like a "tour" golf ball. Honestly, I felt like i was playing with a 2 piece Top Flite distance ball.

Feel - Again the ball disappointed here. It had the traditional "clicky" sound as with all Callaway balls. Off the driver and irons it felt firm but i expected that.

In the end, i think this ball is probably suited for a lot of golfers... But if you have been playing primarily with a premium ball like a Pro V1x, Z Star XV, etc then you might be disappointed with this ball.

Maybe Callaway wants to have the Hex Black for the tour players and then offer the Hex Chrome for slow swingers and the Hex Chrome+ for faster swingers. Even if I was just hitting the ball bad today (which is possible) the durability of this ball is a serious issue. I know that several people on here have commented about the durability of this golf ball and I couldn't agree more!!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Durability is about the only con for me about the C+, IMO. I prefer a clicky ball off the putter because I game a Bettinardi BB-54, so it balances out the super soft FIT face that can feel dull on lag putts.

In every aspect besides durability, its really tough to beat the C+. Super low spin off driver, looong ball, and holds greens really well. But I can't play 1 ball more than 9 holes before it's worn beyond use from my non conforming grooves.

I have the opposite opinion, great ball and even great on the wallet, spin was outstanding in between the pro v1 and the x and distance was awesome, longer (which should be a positive thing) if you have to use a club down (again a positive thing) should mean more accuracy. I have read a lot of positive posts about this ball, to bad you didnt like it. I think it is up there for one of the balls of the year!

Signature of Solon CC

Ping g430 10k 9 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71

I tried out a sleeve one night. For whatever reason, the one ball was chewed up after a few holes with my wedges. However, with the next one I put in play, I used it for the 27 holes and not a scratch. Performed awesomely, and was only 4 over for those 27 holes. Maybe it is a little longer, but that was easy to adjust to, allowing me to swing just a little easier to flush it instead of trying to jump on it. For the record, I'm a 6 with a 108 ss on the driver. I'm loving the yellow Chrome+, and stocked up with the sale they ran last week.

Edit: I've played the ProV1X for the past 5 years...

I heard for whatever reason the yellow balls were a little less durable, I have not had a issue thus far.

Signature of Solon CC

Ping g430 10k 9 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's hard to beat the C+ for the money. I am still more of a fan of the iZ, and I really like the Hex Black with the exception of it getting pretty chewed up. I usually only buy used balls, but if I do spring for a new dozen it is C+. I can't wait for lost golf balls to start selling them.

Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana D+
Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

Love the Chrome + and found the durability to be great. SS 115-120 and I can play a chrome + for 2 rounds with no problems. Distance is great and the spin is perfect for me whereas the Prov1x and Lethal's spin like a top.

Also the Chrome + is a PREMIUM ball. Funny how people get a great deal on a product but associate the quality as being lesser. It's like you want companies to overcharge you so that you feel better.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Was playing Lethal and HBT for most part of the year, but the last couple of months have been all C+! No spin issues or durability issues at all for me. Does everything very well and is super consistent for me...my number one MUST have for balls is consistency, more so spin into the greens..it just one hop and stops on full shots for me all day. Great Ball! Didn't play the Iz..didn't like it...ProV1x for me, has still been a touch inconsistent spin wise into the green...sometimes back up sometimes sit down...prefer to know what it will do.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

I just bought a dozen C+ yesterday an will be giving them a go today. I have durability issues with pretty much any ball, steep swing + ping grooves = fish gills on pretty much anything inside 175 yards. I love the ProV1x but don't like paying for them. I have been playing Srixon Z Star XV and that has been a good compromise for the price. Much better than Maxifli. I don't mind a ball that plays a little long off my irons and certainly don't mind if to play long off the tee. Just hope they are as sticky as they feel on half wedges.

G25 8.5* - Speeder TS 7.2x
RBZ Stage2 TS - Black Tie 8M3x
Anser 17* - SteelFiber 95x
J40 CB 4-PW - ss X100
J15 54/58
TM Spider Mallet

Also to add as Cochese brings up a good point about grooves I have all conforming grooves from wedge to 3 iron so that might be a reason why some are "shredding" the ball. If your still using square grooves this might be the cause.

Edel PROTO

I just switched from S58s and Tour S wedges to all conforming stuff, so hopefully they will seem more durable. I haven't actually got my new S56s yet (damn UPS), so I will still be playing my S58s today. I see fish gills in my future, but I have come to expect that from pretty much any ball I play.

It will be good to see how try hold up with the square grooves today then with the conforming grooves next week.

G25 8.5* - Speeder TS 7.2x
RBZ Stage2 TS - Black Tie 8M3x
Anser 17* - SteelFiber 95x
J40 CB 4-PW - ss X100
J15 54/58
TM Spider Mallet

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1376830529' post='7697878']
Also to add as Cochese brings up a good point about grooves I have all conforming grooves from wedge to 3 iron so that might be a reason why some are "shredding" the ball. If your still using square grooves this might be the cause.
[/quote]

I used the same ball for the pst two days, and there was minimal wear.. Nothing to the point of detouring me from continuing to use the C+. For the $, you'd be hard pressed to find a better, as J13 PREMIUM ball in new condition.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

Honestly ladahl price to performance it's the best ball on the planet by miles. I just love that a company is finally releasing a premium ball that is being played on tour and is under $35.

Edel PROTO

[quote name='Tiger512' timestamp='1375004561' post='7553710']
Someone at Callaway told me its a known the Hex Black Tour is the ball that has durability issues. I play square groove Cally X Forged and have no issues with the Chrome+ but have a lot of trouble shredding the Hex Black Tour.
[/quote]

You're bang on there. I played my 15 dozen or so Tour iz and they finally ran out I bought some Hex Black Tours and every sand shot scuffs the cover, every full wedge. I seem to play OK with them but the covers are not durable at all.

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1376795301' post='7696794']
Love the Chrome + and found the durability to be great. SS 115-120 and I can play a chrome + for 2 rounds with no problems. Distance is great and the spin is perfect for me whereas the Prov1x and Lethal's spin like a top.

Also the Chrome + is a PREMIUM ball. Funny how people get a great deal on a product but associate the quality as being lesser. It's like you want companies to overcharge you so that you feel better.
[/quote]

...AKA the Skiddy Cameron effect. If a putter doesn't cost more than $350, you can't possibly be expected to make putts with it. It must me an inferior, defective product.

When was the last time a top line, current product ball being played widely on tour was available to the public for less than $40 per dozen before it started being discounted? The only one that comes to mind is the Nike TA2-LNG, and that was 10 years ago. Glad the C+ has been so well received, as it may encourage other OEM's to offer high performance balls at a more affordable price point.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

IMO, the Chrome+ is one of the best new balls. I actually like the fact that it adds a half a club to my irons. I have not noticed durability problems, but it is urethane and wears with use as all urethane covers do. If I had one minor complaint it would be with putting. Compared to other balls I use regularly, I have a small distance control problem, almost as if the ball needs to be struck harder than usual. It's a strange sensation and hard to explain; or maybe it is what others refer to as clicky.

[quote name='maskedman' timestamp='1377095952' post='7718800']
IMO, the Chrome+ is one of the best new balls. I actually like the fact that it adds a half a club to my irons. I have not noticed durability problems, but it is urethane and wears with use as all urethane covers do. If I had one minor complaint it would be with putting. Compared to other balls I use regularly, I have a small distance control problem, almost as if the ball needs to be struck harder than usual. It's a strange sensation and hard to explain; or maybe it is what others refer to as clicky.
[/quote]

Maybe you need one of them Skiddy Cameron putters. I'm just sayin'...

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1377097052' post='7718912']
Maybe you need one of them Skiddy Cameron putters. I'm just sayin'...
[/quote]

Only if it's a Circle T with a CoA and a price tag of at least $1500. ;)

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link