CG16 Tour Iron Review .....WOW!

Nice review. As you mentioned, Cleveland irons dont' get a lot of buzz so it's nice to see someone's thoughts.

[b]Driver:[/b] TM M6 9* / Tensei Orange
[b]Fairway:[/b] Ping G20 15* / Ping TFC Tour Stiff
[b]Hybrid:[/b] Titleist 816 H2 / Fuji Tour Spec
[b]Irons:[/b] Callaway Apex/Apex Pro Combo  4-PW / KBS Tour V stiff
[b]Wedge:[/b] Cleveland CG 15 52* / DG S400
[b]Wedge:[/b] Cleveland CG 15 56* / DG S400
[b]Wedge:[/b] Cleveland CG 15 60* / DG S400
[b]Putter:[/b] Scotty Mil-Spec Newport

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to believe I've had these in the bag almost all season........and have no intention of getting rid of them. Played another round yesterday and felt like I could take dead aim at any pin.....awesome feeling.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

• 4 weeks later...

Hit every par 3 in regulation this weekend......as I've done for the last 4 rounds. These things are deadly accurate.....

Taylormade Imola 8 35"

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Dillinger' timestamp='1316599779' post='3579338']
Any difference with tour issue CG16's and retail version ?
[/quote]

Yep. Here's some pictures of a Tour Issue set for sale:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/498535-cleveland-tour-issue-cg16-tour/page__p__3422679__hl__tour+issue+cg16__fromsearch__1#entry3422679

Slightly thinner sole, little less offset, no "Zip Groves" writing on the face of the club, slightly different sole grind, no lofts on sole, and the Cleveland writing on cavity of iron is different, different COG. Basically a totally different iron.

Taylormade Imola 8 35"

[quote name='jones137' timestamp='1316609629' post='3579506']
[/quote]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/498535-cleveland-tour-issue-cg16-tour/page__p__3422679__hl__tour+issue+cg16__fromsearch__1#entry3422679"]http://www.golfwrx.c..._1#entry3422679[/url]

Slightly thinner sole, little less offset, no "Zip Groves" writing on the face of the club, slightly different sole grind, no lofts on sole, and the Cleveland writing on cavity of iron is different, different COG. Basically a totally different iron.
[/quote]

Why no zip grooves, zip grooves are conforming correct? The CG16 wedges are conforming and they have zip grooves.

[quote name='Dillinger' timestamp='1316620219' post='3579932']
[/quote]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/498535-cleveland-tour-issue-cg16-tour/page__p__3422679__hl__tour+issue+cg16__fromsearch__1#entry3422679"]http://www.golfwrx.c..._1#entry3422679[/url]

[/quote]

Why no zip grooves, zip grooves are conforming correct? The CG16 wedges are conforming and they have zip grooves.
[/quote]

OP didn't say no zip grooves -- he said no writing at the edge of the groove lines. Cleaner look that undoubtedly appeals to the better player.

[quote name='PaulM26' timestamp='1316621016' post='3579965']
[quote name='Dillinger' timestamp='1316620219' post='3579932']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

OP didn't say no zip grooves -- he said no writing at the edge of the groove lines. Cleaner look that undoubtedly appeals to the better player.
[/quote]

oh ok I instantly grabbed on to what I thought was the one bad thing. Thanks . You can buy directly from the Tour dept at certain retailers, I beieve I will look into a set of these for my brother in law.

• 10 months later...

I hit the steel CG16's at a golf lesson a few weeks ago and just NAILED it. The ball shot off like a bullet. I'm using 15 yr old Callaway clone irons and haven't made the upgrade yet because I wanted to try the Callaway Razr irons as first. But the deal is so good on these...and I've never hit a 5 iron so clean!

I'm going to give them another try tonight and see if I can control myself ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been eyeing these REALLY hard for last 2 seasons. Love the straight top line and LOVE the look of the black pearl but have heard and seen that it does not hold up too well. The satin look sweet too. Actually hit the demo 7 iron at GSmith today and was flying it 175 yards. That's 15 yards farther than my AP2 710s! Feels softer tham the AP2s as well? Really want to pick up a set but gotta find something to sell first!

Callaway Epic Sub Zero, Diamana D+ 63g Stiff
Callaway XR 5 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Callaway XR 7 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist 915 H 24*, Diamana D+ 82 HY Stiff
Ping i500, DG S300 105
Ping Glide 2.0 54 & 58, Ping AMT Stiff
Scotty Cameron CA Monterey, 35"

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Terrific review. I'm glad you like them as much as I do. These feel so close to a forged club that I hit on the sweet spot till I don't think I would be able to tell the difference if I wasn't aware of which club I was hitting. they feel that sweet.

Only complaint is how delofted irons are these days. The dang PW is 44*!?!? I mean it's ridiculous what these companies are doing.

I've been a Ping guy for 12+ years, but, converted to the CG16s and glad I did. I hated leaving my beloved Pings but I had to do what was best for my game.

I can't imagine these holding up as well as a set of Ping irons, but, will cross that bridge when I get there.

Give 'em a try if you need a little more forgiveness but be aware of the lofts.

• 9 months later...

jones137 - Well-written review. I just demo'd one...you see I'm building a piecemeal set, just handed over two Nike Hybrids, got store credit at an awesome discount golf shop we have locally, and was doing a side-by-side with a black-finish CG16 Tour vs. Titleist 804.OS, competing for the 7-Iron spot in my bag. In the limited time spent in their testing area (i.e. up the stairs, back door to a 3-stall fully netted and covered outdoor hitting area...no fancy cameras or knick-knacks...), I'd have to call it a dead push: too close to call. Also, without feedback from launch monitors, etc. it was tough to tell outside of feel what was actually going on: the nets are high and only go out about 15 yards from the hitting bays.

Still, key points you made regarding the feel ringed true with me also: "warm" or "soft" feel from a well-struck shot, but there was "feel" nonetheless (unlike so many cast irons with umpteen inserts, dampeners, "speed slots", "hot-faces", etc.)...mishits were easily identifiable, but as you said my toe-hit did not veer much. In the end, it was the lower ticket price on the Titleist that got me (I have many not-worth-discussing issues affecting money flow, wah-wah...), along with the slight edge in sense of workability, and plainly I just seemed to be hitting the Tittie better. Truthfully wish it were the 704.CB I were buying, but c'est la vie.

Gotta hand it to Cleveland on this club, though...great feel, REALLY great look in black...and I liked that it was incredibly tough to define the club, saying things to myself like, "game improvement or tour?...top line sets up okay, I guess...this isn't forged, is it?..." then saying, "Dude: results. Don't snob-out."

Bottom line: it's a good club that feels really great to hit. Nice write-up, sir.

[quote name='shagnat' timestamp='1372928440' post='7386426']
Terrific review. I'm glad you like them as much as I do. These feel so close to a forged club that I hit on the sweet spot till I don't think I would be able to tell the difference if I wasn't aware of which club I was hitting. they feel that sweet.

Only complaint is how delofted irons are these days. The dang PW is 44*!?!? I mean it's ridiculous what these companies are doing.... be aware of the lofts.
[/quote]

shagnat, regarding the second point, I am in total agreement. IMHO it's likely more marketing/sales driven, thinking about scenario XYZ = Clerk: So you hit your 8-iron about 150 yards? Now try THIS [hands prospective buyer a club lofted in like a 7 Iron]....Whoa, you just gained 10 yards! Wanna buy'em?...

What's funny is that in my current mixed bag I have some '78 Hogan Apex irons 7-9 which are very weak-lofted even compared with industry standards, which play more like 8i, 9i & PW...my new Titleist 804.OS 7i, my new Bridgestone J40 6i, an Adams a70S Hybrid "6i"...you get the picture...there is so little regulation as to what REALLY constitutes the numbering or labeling an iron gets that it's all guess-work...and then you end up like me with a bag that has 2 7-Irons, 2 6-Irons, no PW and no 5-Iron...

I hope you find this all as funny as I do...

:read:
:cheesy:

[quote name='CallMeStitch' timestamp='1397691294' post='9107389']
jones137 - Well-written review. I just demo'd one...you see I'm building a piecemeal set, just handed over two Nike Hybrids, got store credit at an awesome discount golf shop we have locally, and was doing a side-by-side with a black-finish CG16 Tour vs. Titleist 804.OS, competing for the 7-Iron spot in my bag. In the limited time spent in their testing area (i.e. up the stairs, back door to a 3-stall fully netted and covered outdoor hitting area...no fancy cameras or knick-knacks...), I'd have to call it a dead push: too close to call. Also, without feedback from launch monitors, etc. it was tough to tell outside of feel what was actually going on: the nets are high and only go out about 15 yards from the hitting bays.

Still, key points you made regarding the feel ringed true with me also: "warm" or "soft" feel from a well-struck shot, but there was "feel" nonetheless (unlike so many cast irons with umpteen inserts, dampeners, "speed slots", "hot-faces", etc.)...mishits were easily identifiable, but as you said my toe-hit did not veer much. In the end, it was the lower ticket price on the Titleist that got me (I have many not-worth-discussing issues affecting money flow, wah-wah...), along with the slight edge in sense of workability, and plainly I just seemed to be hitting the Tittie better. Truthfully wish it were the 704.CB I were buying, but c'est la vie.

Gotta hand it to Cleveland on this club, though...great feel, REALLY great look in black...and I liked that it was incredibly tough to define the club, saying things to myself like, "game improvement or tour?...top line sets up okay, I guess...this isn't forged, is it?..." then saying, "Dude: results. Don't snob-out."

Bottom line: it's a good club that feels really great to hit. Nice write-up, sir.
[/quote]

Thanks. No doubt these are one of Cleveland's best irons............they just have a marketing problem.

Taylormade Imola 8 35"

• 10 months later...

Great reviews!
Is this review for the which tour version? T or P? Not the OTR CG16 Tour, right?
I was using R7 TP Goosen and bought CG16 PO stamp version from Yourtourcollection.com yesterday.
I pulled the trigger after reading some reviews. My only concern is the forgiveness. As long as they are similar to Goosens, I will be okay.
Hopefully they are as good as what other players are saying too.
I can't wait to hit them!

The CG16 Tour lofts are in line with other manufacturers 'Tour' type clubs.

Like many newer irons, they get the ball in the air a little easier than your typical 80's/90's blade, so a degree stronger shouldn't change your life much. It's all about the gaps, and once you know them, you are good to go. I was able to keep the same gap wedge and send wedge I used previously.

[quote name='CallMeStitch' timestamp='1397692468' post='9107489']
[quote name='shagnat' timestamp='1372928440' post='7386426']

Only complaint is how delofted irons are these days. The dang PW is 44*!?!? I mean it's ridiculous what these companies are doing.... be aware of the lofts.
[/quote]

shagnat, regarding the second point, I am in total agreement. IMHO it's likely more marketing/sales driven, thinking about scenario XYZ = Clerk: So you hit your 8-iron about 150 yards? Now try THIS [hands prospective buyer a club lofted in like a 7 Iron]....Whoa, you just gained 10 yards! Wanna buy'em?...

What's funny is that in my current mixed bag I have some '78 Hogan Apex irons 7-9 which are very weak-lofted even compared with industry standards, which play more like 8i, 9i & PW...my new Titleist 804.OS 7i, my new Bridgestone J40 6i, an Adams a70S Hybrid "6i"...you get the picture...there is so little regulation as to what REALLY constitutes the numbering or labeling an iron gets that it's all guess-work...and then you end up like me with a bag that has 2 7-Irons, 2 6-Irons, no PW and no 5-Iron...

I hope you find this all as funny as I do...

:read:
:cheesy:
[/quote]

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

[quote name='dgmusae' timestamp='1424795636' post='11018209']
Great reviews!
Is this review for the which tour version? T or P? Not the OTR CG16 Tour, right?
I was using R7 TP Goosen and bought CG16 PO stamp version from Yourtourcollection.com yesterday.
I pulled the trigger after reading some reviews. My only concern is the forgiveness. As long as they are similar to Goosens, I will be okay.
Hopefully they are as good as what other players are saying too.
I can't wait to hit them!
[/quote]

The review is for the OTR CG16 Tour's. I've hit the R7 TP Goosen's and the OTR CG 16 Tour IMO would be a little bit more forgiving.

Taylormade Imola 8 35"