DST Compressor opinions??.........

EKELLY

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found it a bit helpful over this year. If swung correctly it does promote forward shaft lean and more ball compression, but I believe it's easy to 'cheat' too and not get all the benefits of the club. Not the easiest club to hit but once you get used to it, it does seem to help some. I think in combination with lessons it would help alot more than by itself.

I like it a lot. I don't get to practice or play this time of year because I coach high school basketball and jump immediately into softball afterwards. When I do get to practice or play, this helps me set up properly and hit the ball a little better. It has also helped me shorten my swing a bit because I'm starting with my hands farther forward. I have a tendency to get way past parallel, so this keeps me shorter and more consistent.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Just got one and tried it on the range today. Was able to hit it fairly good after a small bucket. Guess the theory is to set up in the impact position at address. Left hand way more forward than I thought and club face seems more closed. With my regular clubs I had more success with the lead hand not so much to the left like the dst but still more than I was doing before using the dst. Also better results with the ball a tad back than normal and face looking a bit closed. All in all, am pretty satisfied with the first day results. Can see more improvement in my ball striking in the near future. Work in progress!

One of the guys got one the other day. We all were able to hit it. Seemed pretty much the same as your striker, probably easier to hit. Shaft lean at impact isn't my problem so didn't have problems hitting it.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

I have found the DST Compressor to be a very effective training aid. The strength of this club is that it is very difficult to "cheat" and actually get a solid strike if you get the address position and the grip position correct. If you pay attention to getting the starting position right, then even the slightest bit of flipping or an OTT swing path is going to be very obvious in the resulting ball flight. The Compressor forces an exaggeration of the correct movements and positions in order to achieve solid ball flight. This exaggeration is important to help get the swing changes it imparts to "stick" when you move back to your normal clubs.

Check out Dan Whittaker's review on you tube, say no more

Yeah, I saw it.....I think he's jealous he didn't develop it, trying to find a problem.....I mean, only this years Master's and Open Champion are using it, as well as numerous other Major winners.......LOL

Dan is absolutely correct as far as the takeaway problems that it might create. All of champions you said use this device have extraordinary club awareness and/or people watching them hit balls to stay on top of any swing faults that might creep in.

I watched Dan's video on the Compressor. Normally I like Dan's videos, but in this case Dan completely missed the point of this training aid and got far too caught up in the address position and the takeaway. The club is designed to "force" a better impact position. It wasn't designed to improve your setup or your takeaway and you cannot "check" your alignments/angles in freeze frames for anything, but the impact position.

I just ignore what it feels like in the required setup position and swing the club like I would swing any other. I put the "funkiness" of the club out of my head and focus on impact and the resulting ball flight. That is the correct way to use the DST Compressor.

Check out Dan Whittaker's review on you tube, say no more

Yeah, I saw it.....I think he's jealous he didn't develop it, trying to find a problem.....I mean, only this years Master's and Open Champion are using it, as well as numerous other Major winners.......LOL

Dan is absolutely correct as far as the takeaway problems that it might create. All of champions you said use this device have extraordinary club awareness and/or people watching them hit balls to stay on top of any swing faults that might creep in.

As a 4 handicapper you are a good player. So you understand the DST is for the advanced golfer, I think. IMHO, I think it pushes the hands too far forward, but I do understand the exaggeration factor........I do understand Dan's theory, just found it odd he went from saying it was fantastic, to poking holes in the logic behind it........Didn't mean to berate him for his opinion.......

Anybody try one of these?

Another owner with one gathering dust in the garage. IMO buy the Tour Striker Educator instead, it's much cheaper, it can be used on any club not just an 8 iron or wedge plus the clubs are your own.

Just to expand on my preference for the Tour Striker Educator (TSE) over the DST.

I think the TSE works better for me is because it fixes impact by making me make the required changes in wrist position in the transition. I primarily use the more extreme inside out drill with the TSE and this give me the exaggerated feel of flattening the lead wrist, that to this point I have never had.

The DST for whatever reason changed my transition to an over the top action.

Just to say I tried tour striker and that didn't improve my impact conditions at all.

I watched Dan's video on the Compressor. Normally I like Dan's videos, but in this case Dan completely missed the point of this training aid and got far too caught up in the address position and the takeaway. The club is designed to "force" a better impact position. It wasn't designed to improve your setup or your takeaway and you cannot "check" your alignments/angles in freeze frames for anything, but the impact position.

I just ignore what it feels like in the required setup position and swing the club like I would swing any other. I put the "funkiness" of the club out of my head and focus on impact and the resulting ball flight. That is the correct way to use the DST Compressor.

That's what I get, as well as it's not a full swing club, rather 3/4 at the most.......

Anybody try one of these?

Another owner with one gathering dust in the garage. IMO buy the Tour Striker Educator instead, it's much cheaper, it can be used on any club not just an 8 iron or wedge plus the clubs are your own.

Just to expand on my preference for the Tour Striker Educator (TSE) over the DST.

I think the TSE works better for me is because it fixes impact by making me make the required changes in wrist position in the transition. I primarily use the more extreme inside out drill with the TSE and this give me the exaggerated feel of flattening the lead wrist, that to this point I have never had.

The DST for whatever reason changed my transition to an over the top action.

Just to say I tried tour striker and that didn't improve my impact conditions at all.

Agreed with the flat left wrist. Few good consistent players have a truly cupped/bowed wrist. I'm not a proponent of either, officially. They're both aids that help poor fundamentals in the first place. I don't buy training aids, I just listen to the task they are supposed to tackle, then if I need a little help I'll figure it out. I actually like Martin Chuck. He's simple, to the point.......

• 2 weeks later...

The DST forces you to get your hands in front of the ball to get better compression and strike. But it does this at the expense of getting speed through the ball/ impact. I just saw a video by Chris Ryan that was talking about the impact and how to drop your hands in the downswing and then speed through the ball and the light went on. The DST is good for getting your hands forward but you have to realize that the club must that's only for an instant and that you need to get the club move quickly through impact in order to get distance. I've been pretty focused on the hands forward at impact sensation and almost forgotten that you still require speed and acceleration through that impact point. Like anything else you can't focus on one item at the expense of all others. Will still use the DST but won't let it stop the acceleration through impact either.

Hands forward on it's own has nothing to do with compression necessarily. Compression is spin loft at impact, the lower the spin loft the more "compression" by definition. So AOA (i.e. Shallow not steep) affects "compression" more than anything. That being said most that have good compression do have shaft lean, but shaft lean by itself is not sufficient for compression.

Just had one of these delivered and looking forward to trying it out.

I have a question though, and this is probably a stupid question, but here goes...

Can I carry this in my bag during a round? Not to use, but just if I use it to warm up and then leave it in my bag. And if it is allowed in the bag, does it count as 1 of the permitted 14?

• 5 weeks later...

Can the lie angle on these DST clubs be bent?

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

Just had one of these delivered and looking forward to trying it out.

I have a question though, and this is probably a stupid question, but here goes...

Can I carry this in my bag during a round? Not to use, but just if I use it to warm up and then leave it in my bag. And if it is allowed in the bag, does it count as 1 of the permitted 14?

I believe you can have it in your bag and it wouldn't count for the 14 (not 100% sure tho). However, I do know that you cannot use it or even take a practice swing with it during a round, would violate 14-3. Players on tours have been dqed for using training aids during long waits between holes.