Best blade style, or heel shafted putter?

justodd

I'm a little slow today and was just wondering what this picture has to do with the OP?

That putter was made in very very limited numbers and is not one that you can just go out anywhere and pick up. While Mr. Mills did in fact make some great putters, sort of pointless to point to one that is basicly un-attainable. Not trying to crash the party here, just saying that is a very rare putter.

Sorry, I misread the thread. I thought it was showing off pictures of heel shafted putters we wanted.

That's what you get for trying to help. :)

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robot, Sad to see you can't let it go man with your reference to SC and the website. Very sad.

I can't believe I missed this post. I am confused. Where did I make a single reference to the website and to Cameron in this thread? I was only trying to help as my first post in this thread had nothing to do with Cameron or TP Mills. It had everything to do with Byron Morgan and the Designed by Captain Morgan, a putter that can be ordered today and shipped tomorrow (unlike a Cameron or TP Mills). I find your attacking post sad, my friend. Very sad.

I recently gamed an American Classic VII and found that to be a great blade. The reason I stopped using it is because my stroke was too poor to use it. When my stroke was on, the AC VII performed incredibly well. When my stroke was not so good, my results were horrible. For those who have a pure stroke a blade is perfect.

All putters are attainable for a price. As stage said, the Napa has not been made in 10 years and the AC VII was limited in 2005. Neither putter is on the shelf or obtainable through Titleist. The Mills blades are also not available as retail. I am not sure if David is willing to make a blade but you never know. All one has to do is ask Jay Green. I have seen a few Mills blades available recently so this is a viable option, as are the Napa and AC VII. Let's not downplay the availability of any out of production putter that does not have Cameron on it.

Nobody said that the Mills was not a rare putter and would take time to find. However, there are other Mills blades, several of which have shown up for sale recently. Anyway, you don't know what is for sale until you look for it. That said, yes, Cameron putters are readily available and for a lower price because these are mass production putters, not handmades. Let's compare apples to apples, shall we. Now getting to the Napa and AC VII, I owned an AC VII and it is a fine putter. Is it one of the best blades I have ever used, certainly! I have owned, or currently own, several classic blades from Wilson, Cleveland Classics and Cameron. However, you started it by replying to nateobot's post. The OP did not ask about whether a putter is very limited or not. The OP asked about options. The Mills is an option for a gamer. While I understand your passion for Cameron (been there, done that), you whine when people post something that does not support your love for all things Cameron. If you are getting sick of it, sorry. That is not the intent but allow people to represent the putter world. The putter world, if you have not seen, does not revolve around Cameron and only his offerings. If the site is being ruined then I submit it is because of people who have little tolerance of a brand they are not gaa gaa over. This is a big world of putters, let alone golf clubs, so try to learn about all of them and broaden your view. If Cameron is all that you want to talk about there is a site that you would simply love.

Talk about twisting the original post. Give me a break. The OP said that he is already aware of the Napa and Miura kn350. He wanted other suggestions. For you to resuggest the Napa is a waste of bandwidth, he already has target that as an option. That is precisely what we are trying to give. No mention of price or need by date was given so options are offered. Just because you don't care for an option does not mean you need to launch into a tantrum. We are just trying to help the OP. :)

That's what you get for trying to help. :)

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

To the OP, Sorry I got involved with this one. Just trying to help. The others are right and I was wrong. I'm sure you can find one of those Mills putters just about anywhere. After all, they were of coure mass produced as was pointed out.

I'm out of here. Way too much hate in this place.

Nobody said you were wrong. However, you started against the TP Mills. You started with the drama. I am glad it is over. Oh happy day!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

:drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

Now back to the original topic. The Cleveland blade is fantastic, especially for the prices you can find one. The Yes Sophia is also another very good alternative and readily available. I am biased towards the Byron Morgan and definitely would consider that one. Byron makes a tremendous putter. The Napa is a good putter but my preference with Cameron is the American Classic VII. This is an outstanding putter!!! I would still have one if I could putt with this style. A TP Mills will be much harder to find and much more expensive as few exist. None-the-less, a Mills is tremendous, too. Another outstanding offering is a blade from George Palombi. I hear he might be making some this year. For the price, an original Wilson 8813 is a great putter. For a little bit more, a Designed by Arnold Palmer or 1964 8802 with headspeed shaft are about as good as they get. Cleveland also had a Byron Nelson blade and there are MacGregor blades from yesteryear.

What ever direction you go, a blade is a great choice for those with a great stroke. Best of luck and sorry about the drama. :)

This:

Now you did it! :tongue:

:lol:

Oh yea, that is a terrific putter!

Callawayonly I just wanna say, you get awfully offended and often. It seems you have free reign to say whatever you'd like in reference to whatever you like, yet when anybody offers their side of it, it is shot down, or scrutinized, while you oppose said scrutinization to you or anybody else. There are lots of strong opinions on this site, but when you get involved, those opinions are shut out. Being dogmatic isn't a respectable quality. Im sorry to the OP for this but i felt it needed to be said. For the record, stage1350's roasting was spot on, and I also feel it was something you would have said had you thought of it first.

PS, I find your name very ironic for being so obsessed with Scotty Cameron.

Well I guess I beg to differ. That Mills putter pictured is a putter that there could very well be less than twenty ever produced and would more than likely bring a price many times that of the Cameron's I pictured. The Cameron's on the other hand are really very easy to find and for less the $400 in many cases. If you would like one of either, give me a day or two and I will find both if you would like. In the same two days I would love to see you come up with that Mills.

Not real sure why there is the need for these offhanded replies. I sort of getting sick of it real quick. This site is being ruined by this BS.

To take my post and copy it almost word for word is about as childish as anything I have seen in recently. I really don't understand why you just don't hit the back button if you have nothing positive to add to the discussion.

Well sir, then let's cut through the BS completely. If you are sick of the offhanded replies, perhaps you should not start them. YOU were the first to go negative in this thread, crapping on the TP Mills putter. I like how you carefully avoided going after the Byron putter. You note that there are roughly 20 hand made goosenecks out there, but neglect the fact that only 25 MP Designed by Captain Morgans will be produced. You don't seem to care about any offhanded reply unless it's against you or Cameron. Is that adgenda or hypocracy on your part?

Since you want something positive added to the discussion, here we go:

To the OP, if you are looking for a Designed by Arnold Palmer/8802 style putter, the most economical choice will be any of the Cleveland Designed by putters. The carbon steel models can be had for next to no money, are some of the closest head designs to the original DBAP/8802, and use the same small diameter, stepped "head speed" shaft as the originals. Some even come with the Lamkin fat paddle underlisted leather grips.

If you prefer a modern heavier head, I would look at the Rife Bimini or wait a few months until Mizuno/Bettinardi releases the BC-7. Both will be available at retail golf shops instead of having to go through private distributors and are the only "off the rack" 8802 styles available. Even Wilson had gone special order only on their 8802. Both the Rife and Bettinardi have modern, heavier weights and milled faces.

Regardless of what brand you choose, make sure you get the putter fitted to your length, loft, and lie to ensure maximum performace. Good luck in your search.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

In this case Callaway is right. A couple of you guys are so jealous of Scotty Camerons success you go on the defensive at the mere mention of his name. Anytime it is suggested here that someone buy a Cameron the post turns into another Cameron hating thing.

R'doc has been the worse one of late. He has to bring all of his thoughts of what is wrong with Cameron into the post. He did it the other day and post was locked because it got out of hand. I could care less to have to read over and over in every putter post your thoughts on why you hate Cameron. Gets old fast.

I did not read anything in Callaways first post where implied that there was anything wrong with TP Mills. He pointed out how rare the putter pictured was, that was all.

You guys need to chill out a little!

PM sent

In this case Callaway is right. A couple of you guys are so jealous of Scotty Camerons success you go on the defensive at the mere mention of his name. Anytime it is suggested here that someone buy a Cameron the post turns into another Cameron hating thing.

R'doc has been the worse one of late. He has to bring all of his thoughts of what is wrong with Cameron into the post. He did it the other day and post was locked because it got out of hand. I could care less to have to read over and over in every putter post your thoughts on why you hate Cameron. Gets old fast.

I did not read anything in Callaways first post where implied that there was anything wrong with TP Mills. He pointed out how rare the putter pictured was, that was all.

You must have selective memory, or missed the first post by RobotDoctor in this thread where he was very complimentary of the Cameron ACVII. In fact nobody tried talking the OP out of anything until your boy wanted to talk the OP out of TP Mills because it's "rare." That's not even taking into account his mod-wannabe attempts to decide what should be posted in this thread and what the OP should and should not see.

Ironically, nobody has said a negative word about the Napa, though I did mention that it's "rare" as well. :rolleyes:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Napa. Personally, I find them a little light, but if that's what the OP ends up fitted with, I believe that he will have a good putting instrument. Would you be willing to say the same about TP Mills?

You know what gets old? The Cameron guys crying like a bunch of girls with skinned knees. Don't you have a site of your own to slap each other on the a** and talk about your "investments?"

You must have selective memory, or missed the first post by RobotDoctor in this thread where he was very complimentary of the Cameron ACVII. ...

I must have type my hate speech between the lines in invisible ink on this thread. ;)

I have 4 scotty camerons and theyre all I putt with, so I know you're not referring to me with the whole, dissing scotty. I am dissing those that are willing to shine Scotty's shoes with their tongues. To the OP I hope you have not ruled out the Coronado Mid Slant, it is immaculately weighted and smooth as butter.

Can't we all just get along? Regardless of how humorous this thread has become, it's time to get on track again before we get locked down.

He gets his feelings hurt when one constructive word is offered to God...oh...I mean Scotty...I mean Sir Cameron. Im done with the whole constructivism if he's going to run and hide like he said in his post on the "How to make the site better" thread. But like stage has mentioned I am very willing to engage in some good ol' debate.

Bobby Grace did make a blade back in the early 90s called a 2200. These can be found either with an insert (HSM material - what ever that was) or no insert. These show up from time to time as well.

<please, don't blast me that these are hard to find ... it is not my fault ;) >

Bobby Grace did make a blade back in the early 90s called a 2200. These can be found either with an insert (HSM material - what ever that was) or no insert. These show up from time to time as well.

They aren't. I have both a 2200 BeCu and a 2200 BeCu with HSM insert collecting dust in my office.

If the OP likes the KM-350, which is closer to a Wizard 600 style, you may want to look at some of the 80's Golden Ram 600 putters. Forged, carbon steel and leather grips. Jack won a lot of Majors with that head style.

But I must admit, I'm partial to the 8802 style. You can find a ton of good 8802 putters as well, many with the original leather. It's still the standard by which all others are judged.

They aren't. I have both a 2200 BeCu and a 2200 BeCu with HSM insert collecting dust in my office.

If the OP likes the KM-350, which is closer to a Wizard 600 style, you may want to look at some of the 80's Golden Ram 600 putters. Forged, carbon steel and leather grips. Jack won a lot of Majors with that head style.

But I must admit, I'm partial to the 8802 style. You can find a ton of good 8802 putters as well, many with the original leather. It's still the standard by which all others are judged.

RAM made a mid 90s reproduction of the Wizard 600 putter. I owned one during that time, mostly because of my affinity towards Jack.

oh yah.. Love my Napa man!

I still love the 1995-1996 head style the best. Slightly higher bumper on the toe and more curve on the back of the flange. The three 1996/500 copper Napas that I have owned over the years are still some of the most beautiful putters I've owned and gamed.