chipping for the high handicapper

Grambo54

Ive tried everything the last couple of years. Still, on the course I chunk, skinny, almost every chip.....but at least I dont miss :-) To date only one thing is working. Choke down. Im a right hander. Left hand fore finger on the steel below the grip and the right hand completely on the club shaft. Club ends up about 2 feet long from fingers to head. So easy to chip with whatever method. I just hinge and hit. So easy. downside is accuracy, if my clubhead is a little off, and distance tends to suffer, no feel, but I dont care. Im putting with a one or two putt chance. putting it out there if others are having chipping probs. Such a frustrating part of the game.

cheers,

G

Ive tried everything the last couple of years. Still, on the course I chunk, skinny, almost every chip.....but at least I dont miss :-) To date only one thing is working. Choke down. Im a right hander. Left hand fore finger on the steel below the grip and the right hand completely on the club shaft. Club ends up about 2 feet long from fingers to head. So easy to chip with whatever method. I just hinge and hit. So easy. downside is accuracy, if my clubhead is a little off, and distance tends to suffer, no feel, but I dont care. Im putting with a one or two putt chance. putting it out there if others are having chipping probs. Such a frustrating part of the game.

cheers,

G

That's a great old school solution that's somewhat lost now. The closer you get to your work the better you'll chip. Ever notice the length of grips on vintage hickory and steel clubs. They were a lot longer so a player can grip way down on it because control with acceleration can be easier, especially on short chips.

Two things have worked for me:

1. Feet together, open stance, open face, ball off rear foot. Address ball with club leaning toward target. Maintain wrist angle through both back and forward swing but concentrate on hitting ground in front of ball. On the follow through feel like you're carrying the ball toward the target on the club face (front elbow will come away from body). For me that's an almost foolproof way to chip. I developed a standard swing speed then just picked the right club for the desired distance.

2. The other way is 'hinge and hold'. Honestly I continue to be surprised how well this works. Ball back in fairly normal width stance. Start the back swing by hinging the wrist then hold that hinge through the rest of the back swing. Then just let your arms drop. It works most of the time for me. What surprises me is that I always use my LW (60 degrees) and adjust the power by changing the length of the back swing. I don't even have to measure the distance or think about it. That surprises me because normally I can't adjust my swing power at all. Usually it's a full swing or a disaster. But somehow hinge and hold triggers a latent ability I seem to have to guestimate distances. I learnt the technique from a Phil Michelson You tube video so I often mutter "thanks, Phil" after a good chip :)

Both of those chips roll out rather than checking up and I rarely worry about what the ball is going to land on. Most of the time that will get me within a couple of yards of the hole regardless of most surfaces.

cheers,

G

Maybe you'd like to add your "solution" to the "I can't chip" thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I sucked hard at chipping until I learned Monte's use the bounce stuff. That's so easy to get good at... and it has lasted from when I was a 30 cap to now. The only other technique I use is a putting motion with a 7-9, handle up like someone mentioned previously. It's pretty easy to start the ball on the line you want and hop over any grass in the way, but it's a lot tougher than use the bounce if the hole is too far away. Up close, pretty deadly.

cheers,

G

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. Ive tried all of these things and a whole lot more, except the chipping lesson. Havent done that one yet. I feel that a pro will try and teach me something Ive already tried and failed at. I seem to chip not too bad on the practice green, but not on the course. I feel lucky if I have even one half decent chip during a game. I get nervous before the chip and have no confidence, so I have a head problem as well. Im using phils hinge and hold method right now, feet at 45 degrees, weight forward, with the extreme choke down on the club. Seems to work best if thats the right word.

Ever tried a simple putting motion with your wedges? Little movement and room for error.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

The problem is....the chipping videos have the expert chipping just off the green, nice flat lie, chip it on and run it to a hole 15 or 20 feet away. Well thats not reality. In reality Its in longer grass over the hill and the pin is close to the edge of the green, or on an up hill and the green runs away, or its on short fairway 30 feet out or way below the green and a big chip up or maybe pitch it with a lob wedge? So suddenly, the putt chip wont work, you have to hinge and hold and give it some acceleration, or its a half pie pitch from 40 out, or a little scuff shot off the short grass.....so difficult

The problem is....the chipping videos have the expert chipping just off the green, nice flat lie, chip it on and run it to a hole 15 or 20 feet away. Well thats not reality. In reality Its in longer grass over the hill and the pin is close to the edge of the green, or on an up hill and the green runs away, or its on short fairway 30 feet out or way below the green and a big chip up or maybe pitch it with a lob wedge?????

This is chipping with poor course management. Miss your ball in places that leave you easy chips. You want to be a better putter? Hit it closer to the hole. You want to be a better chipper? Don't short side yourself. If you're not planning for potential chips, you're not managing your game...

The problem is....the chipping videos have the expert chipping just off the green, nice flat lie, chip it on and run it to a hole 15 or 20 feet away. Well thats not reality. In reality Its in longer grass over the hill and the pin is close to the edge of the green, or on an up hill and the green runs away, or its on short fairway 30 feet out or way below the green and a big chip up or maybe pitch it with a lob wedge?????

This is chipping with poor course management. Miss your ball in places that leave you easy chips. You want to be a better putter? Hit it closer to the hole. You want to be a better chipper? Don't short side yourself. If you're not planning for potential chips, you're not managing your game...

Ummmm,,,,, if his handicap is really 40,,,,,,,,

Titleist Pro V1X

Can still aim. Can still choose a club. Can still be intentional. Having a high HCP is no excuse for not trying to set up one's next shot. And doing so may be far more valuable to lowering HCP than any ball striking concept...

Can still aim. Can still choose a club. Can still be intentional.

Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad,,,,,, :lol:

Titleist Pro V1X

LOL. You act like high HCP players are clueless lumps of jello. If you can get the club to hit the ball, you can plan where it should go.

Someone earlier said something about grip length. It is true that old clubs had much longer grips. The OP's chipping method may have even been a commonly taught approach 100 years ago...

My handicap is 26. Ive played flog for 3 years now. Im usually 160 or 170 or more out from the green on a par 4 for my second shot. Should I hit a club that gets me 90 out and then pitch and hope. Or should I try and get closer and "chip" or hopefully putt. Its not so easy. I can aim but "that dont mean nuthin". I cant manage the course like lower handicappers can. Today on one hole I was 2 to about 8 foot off the green. Bad chunk chip, ball rolled off the green onto fairway, so a bad putt then, from way off the green because I sure didnt want to chip again. So a six on a short par 4. This is usual and why I want to chip better. Its costing me not only strokes but my disapointment and frustration level rises sharply. I will overcome it, I will become a better chipper....just hating the journey :-)

The problem is....the chipping videos have the expert chipping just off the green, nice flat lie, chip it on and run it to a hole 15 or 20 feet away. Well thats not reality. In reality Its in longer grass over the hill and the pin is close to the edge of the green, or on an up hill and the green runs away, or its on short fairway 30 feet out or way below the green and a big chip up or maybe pitch it with a lob wedge? So suddenly, the putt chip wont work, you have to hinge and hold and give it some acceleration, or its a half pie pitch from 40 out, or a little scuff shot off the short grass.....so difficult

The chip putt can still work in those situations. You don't have to throw the ball high in the air and land it on the green close to the hole.Bump it short of the green and roll it on. You might get the odd funny bounce but it's generally reliable. Not having to flop the ball in the air eliminates the disaster scenario. Completely duffing it a few feet or blading it 30 yards over the green. I have seen a single figure player exclusively chip with a 7 iron and bump and runs everything. If you want to play scratch golf then you probably will have to learn how to flop it.

LOL. You act like high HCP players are clueless lumps of jello. If you can get the club to hit the ball, you can plan where it should go.
You seem to have missed the point completely. Us high handicappers can plan all we want. We could have Jordan Spieth's caddy to advise us. But where the ball actually lands is another matter.

You seem to have missed the point completely. Us high handicappers can plan all we want. We could have Jordan Spieth's caddy to advise us. But where the ball actually lands is another matter.

Andrue, until you work on that outlook, you will be correct. Golf used to be taught from the hole out. Every shot has a plan. Only in modern times has it changed to learn to hit it far and hope. When you hit a putt it doesn't fly OB. Why? You have a plan. Treat the rest of your game in such a fashion.

Andrue, until you work on that outlook, you will be correct. Golf used to be taught from the hole out. Every shot has a plan. Only in modern times has it changed to learn to hit it far and hope. When you hit a putt it doesn't fly OB. Why? You have a plan. Treat the rest of your game in such a fashion.

Apparently you just can't wrap your head around the concept. I do not 'hit it far and hope'. No-one other than a default 28 handicapper does that. I can tell you exactly where I want the ball to land. What you seem unable to understand is that high handicappers just don't have a reliable enough swing.

As for why I don't putt OB - that's just a silly thing to say. Having a plan does not stop that happening. Not being a total *censored censored* stops that happening. That and the virtual physical impossibility of using a putter to strike a ball that hard on the green. Planning has nothing to do with it.

[This is chipping with poor course management. Miss your ball in places that leave you easy chips. You want to be a better putter? Hit it closer to the hole. You want to be a better chipper? Don't short side yourself. If you're not planning for potential chips, you're not managing your game...

Jeez JS, lighten up, will ya.

The joke was pretty obvious and sure, anybody can PLAN. Execution ? That's another story. As andrue has explained.

And clueless lumps of Jello ? :rolleyes: Not at all. North Butte is a 17 but as far as I can tell has as much knowledge about the game as (almost ?) anyone. Knowledge is one thing but execution is quite another - as you well know. (cool)

Titleist Pro V1X

Jeez JS, lighten up, will ya.

The joke was pretty obvious and sure, anybody can PLAN. Execution ? That's another story. As andrue has explained.

And clueless lumps of Jello ? :rolleyes: Not at all. North Butte is a 17 but as far as I can tell has as much knowledge about the game as (almost ?) anyone. Knowledge is one thing but execution is quite another - as you well know. (cool)

Yeah, I may have gotten a little over the top. Sorry all. Andrue is good. No matter who you are, a little planning can go a long way, and the same is true in setting up the short game...