Adams Idea Tech a4

I just got a set custom from Adams (managed to get it for $520 shipped direct from adams with NDMC GP Grips and got all the clubs bent) and kept the standard DGSL and JAVLN shafts in Stiff. I have to say I much prefer these to my A3s... I was fading and slicing the A3 hybrids, but these seem to fly straighter... to be fair I am also doing a better job of turning the club over... anyway the 3h and 4h both seem to have a nice trajectory and just seem to stay in the air forever... When I flush it with these I get plenty of spin and have my ball release a between one and 3 yards past my initial landing zone depending on the green with the short irons (judging by my ball marks). I dont think I have the clubhead speed (or ball) to generate ridiculous spin and I dont feel that it would suit me but I am sure you can back it up if you hit down really hard.

I personally like the DGSLs and they seem to give me a good ball flight. I was thinking about shelling out for the Project Xs but I never got to demo them and I have heard that they really dont fit that many people well, but a lot of people play them due to their tour presence.

All in all I gave the set a 5, but I would really give it a 4.5 since 5 implies perfection. The set looks great, nice and clean (there is also no adams logo on the sole just the number which is nice since they dont plug with dirt and look nasty as quickly), and the top line is a lot thinner.

I bought this set so I could have a good set to grow into that still has the game improvement features that I need.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just received my Adams A4 3-pw in the Satin finish with S300 sensicore shafts. I ordered them 1* flat, -.5" in length and weakened all the lofts by 1* as well. All I can say is WOW..... I really like these clubs, feel is fantastic, and the looks of the satins are 2nd to none. I will say that I am probably going to have an additional .25"-.5" taken off of the length as my specs are normally -.25" on standard length irons and for some reason Adams thinks they need to make these irons .75" longer than standard. I am also going to have the lofts weakened a little as well since I am still hitting the 9 iron 155-160 yards. I have not been able to play a round of golf since Nov of 2008 due to personal reasons and I was afraid that I would have trouble hitting these until I "got my swing back". My first range session started out kinda like I thought as I was not making very good contact for the first 10-15 balls. Once I realized that I needed to grip down on the club just a bit more due to the clubs still being a bit long, it was game on!!! I can not say enough how good these clubs feel when struck pure. I have always played cast irons like the R7 TP's and prior to the A4's I played the 2009 Tour Preferred irons. Both of those irons are good sticks in their own rights, but the feel is not even close......much better with A4's. Great job by Adams over the last few years to cater to the mid to lower hcp player. I never thought that my bag would ever be predominantly Adams, but I am sold on the quality and performance of Adams equipment.

PING G430 LST 9* 
Srixon 13.5* 
Adams LS 19* 
Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Nippon Tour 125s
Odyssey Backstryke blade 
PING/Cleveland 54* 58*

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone hit the A4 with the black gold shafts? I just picked up a three iron with a black gold shaft but it seems very heavy. Will try her on the range tomorrow.

Titleist TSR2 8* Tensei Blue 55R

Callaway Paradym TD 15* Hazardous Gen 4 5.5

Callaway Paradym TD 18* Hazardous Gen 4 5.5

Callaway Paradym 21* 4H Hazardous Gen 4 5.5

Ping I230 Orange 4-UW DG 105 R300

Vokey SM9 Black 54-10S 

Vokey SM8 Black 58-8M
Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 35"

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Before these irons, I had Bridgestone J36 pocket cavities, which I really liked. Then I tried the A4's. While I love the look of blades, who am I kidding? The A4's are the best irons I ever played. Great looking, great feel and sound, great trajectory, great distance, plenty forgiving without being obnoxious looking.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

• 3 months later...

It is sort of funny to read an old thread that I had made comments on! The comments that I made were back in 2009. Well, I just got back from a golf trip to Oklahoma over Easter and played 4 rounds while down there. The important thing to note is that I STILL have the Adams A4 irons in my bag a full two years later. Anyone that knows me will attest to the fact that that is an unbelievable statement.

I just cannot find a reason to kick those guys out of the bag. About the only thing that has even come CLOSE is the new Adams CB2's that are flat-out beautiful, feel smooth as glass, and have the KBS shafts in them. But, my A4's are flat-out beautiful, feel smooth as glass, and have "Tour Concept" shafts in them. The CB2's are essentially the same club as the A4's and I could not justify the hit that I would take at trade-in. I don't think that I would get my value back from the expense of the Tour Concept shafts, having the shafts "Pured", and the alteration of the set make-up due to adding the Pro Gold hybrids instead of the A4 hybrids that come with the set.

I have also grown very accustomed to my sticks. Comfortable as an old pair of tennis shoes! I have said it before, but, if I just maintain an 80% swing and take it easy, these things do nothing but go right where I aim them. It is very tough to get serious about getting a new set when the ones that I have are working so well.

I managed to issue a massive beat-down to my son this weekend. I would just make a smooth swing and hit it right where I aimed. As I keep telling him, it only matters where the ball ends up, not how it got there. My shots ended up on the green, his did not. Other than dodging tornadoes in OK City, it was a very fun weekend.

The punchline to this story is that the Adams A4's will REMAIN in my bag for some time now. I suppose that technology will offer up a satisfactory replacement for these clubs at some point in the future, but the combination of awesome looks, unsurpassed feel, unparalleled distance, and sweet forgiveness is just too much for me to even THINK about giving up at this time.

I've had mine for what must be about 18 months now. I'm the same as Racurl - I just can't see giving them up any time soon.

The only thing I would consider changing at this moment is the 3 and 4 hybrids, as the A12's do look very sweet. I got the standard A4 Boxer hybrids with my set which I have never really loved, but I can't deny their forgiveness and playability.

I've updated to the F11 driver and 3-wood but these irons are staying.

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

[quote name='anth' timestamp='1303956727' post='3192045']
I've had mine for what must be about 18 months now. I'm the same as Racurl - I just can't see giving them up any time soon.

The only thing I would consider changing at this moment is the 3 and 4 hybrids, as the A12's do look very sweet. I got the standard A4 Boxer hybrids with my set which I have never really loved, but I can't deny their forgiveness and playability.

I've updated to the F11 driver and 3-wood but these irons are staying.
[/quote]

As I mentioned, I swapped out the A4 Hybrids for a couple of Adams Pro Gold Hybrids and I LOVE those clubs! I have even thought about getting the 26 degree hybrid for a 5 iron, but I don't know what I would swap out if I did that. The reason that I went with the Pro Gold Hybrids as because they have a bit less offset to them. My general "miss" is a left-to-left draw to the left that can morph into a full-blown duck hook if it gets away from me, so the advent of a bit less offset was attractive to me.

• 2 months later...

I would just like to mention that I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE my A4 forged.

PRGR 2015 (Red)Egg 10*/ Muziik Bangvoo Premium 240cpm
TEE XCG6 4w /Muziik Bangvoo Premium 260cpm (tipped 1/4")
PRGR 2015 (Red) Egg 5Ut 23*/ AXE hybrid stiff
2015 OnOff Kuro 4-PW/ Modus3 120s
Yururi Gekku 53*(bent 52) and 57* (bent 58)/  Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge
Slighter FPR Portland/ Yamada Emperor2/ Epon I-33/Hiro Mz-18

• 2 weeks later...

I have had these irons A4 forged with project X 5.5 shafts about 1 year. I got ruined by my Ben Hogan Apex Edge forged irons and despite trying lots of cast irons, I keep coming back to forged. However, most forged irons were a little too much for my skill level. I have to say the A4s fit the bill. They are fairly forgiving compred to most other forged irons I have tried (Titleist, Mizuno, Ping). The Project X shafts are great. I have had all the clubs I really like and found all of them are halfway between R and S, despite whatever is stamped on the shaft. The forged set does not come with hybrids. I found these by accident after trying the A7s and didn't like the feel and asked about any forged irons. Adams A4 was recommended. Adams never advertised these clubs and quit manufacturing them after only 1 year. Highly recommended.
Has anyone compared the forged A4 with the CB2 or CB12 which look very similar?

• 1 year later...

Can't believe it's almost 3 years later and I'm still playing these.

Anyway, just wanted to say that Dallas Golf on eBay is currently selling individual 4 irons if you've been looking for one as I have.

Cheers

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...