2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Adams Idea Tech a4

That was weird........I kept getting kicked out while I was typing a response. Then, when I go back in, I see the post about 45 times! Sorry about that.

I am really reluctant to remove ANY of my wedges as that is where I really save shots. As I mentioned on the previous post, a miss-hit with the Adams A4 irons gets me in the vicinity of the green.......those wedges are what get me in the hole! That Ben Hogan Forged 53-degree wedge is pure magic and a person has to have the sand wedge, don't they?

The Gap Wedge just sort of cleans up the gaps created by Adams due to the jigged-up lofts that they present. I think that the PW is 45 and the gap is 50 degrees. So, I go 45, 50, 53, 56 with my wedges. And I could not possibly think of removing the 53 Hogan. Maybe I will just borrow someone's putter on each green!

I think that I am back to the 15 club trick! I mean, I am not playing at Bethpage Black in June!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any further reviews on the A4's...?

There sure doesn't seem to be many folks playing these great sticks.  Not sure what it is?

Bad marketing?  Not enough advertising?

Maybe Adams is putting their money toward actual product production and not over saturating us with advertisements for them every where we turn like some companies ;)

I don't have the budget for irons this year, but next year they will be the first ones to get a serious look. I have a regular playing partner that just got these about 2 months ago and I have hit his 6 and 7 a few times and they were so sweet feeling.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I have 3 rounds under my belt with these and can say they set-up well for me and I am enjoying them. They have plenty of forgiveness yet let you know when you have hit one flush. Distance is above average compared other clubs I have owned. I have the stock SL stiff shafts and they play fine for my swing. Ball flight is on the high side but they have never ballooned on me and seem to have plenty of carry. There have been several times I thought I hit the ball too high and would have lost distance and they end up going further then I had thought. I came off some Wishon 560 MC clubs with PX 5.5 shafts that I spun way too much for my swing. Overall I would give these a thumbs up.

I have 3 rounds under my belt with these and can say they set-up well for me and I am enjoying them. They have plenty of forgiveness yet let you know when you have hit one flush. Distance is above average compared other clubs I have owned. I have the stock SL stiff shafts and they play fine for my swing. Ball flight is on the high side but they have never ballooned on me and seem to have plenty of carry. There have been several times I thought I hit the ball too high and would have lost distance and they end up going further then I had thought. I came off some Wishon 560 MC clubs with PX 5.5 shafts that I spun way too much for my swing. Overall I would give these a thumbs up.

Nice review thanks. Your experience is pretty much how the few balls I have hit with them performed for me. I also have 5.5 PX but in the CG Reds, funny though I looked at the 560 MC's when I bought my current irons, but the demo club I had didn't fall in love with the Wishons like many people do.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

well i went to Golftec this afternoon for a fitting... I started with my R7TP's, and hit 5 good shots, which surprisingly only took me 5 swings...

My average distance with those 5 shots was 189.20 yards... but they must have all been pretty big draw / hooks cause they had an average of -31 yards deviation... i'm assuming a negative number is a hook...?

These are the kinds of shots I have been hitting as of late with the PX 6.0 shafts installed in these clubs...

I also hit the MP-52, X22 Tour, and A4's...

The Mizuno's had a good look, and were the 2nd ranked club on the list from the data... they were a bit shorter than my R7's at 171.47 yards, but only had a -4.30 yard deviation, which was nice to see that i was able to hit these more on target...

The x22 didn't please my eye, they looked quite a bit larger than the other 3 irons in the mix, but i hit them an average of 195.10 yards, with a -16 yard deviation...

Last ones i hit were the A4's... i know they are lofted stronger than the other 3, but only by 2 degrees to the R7's and Mizunos, and only 1 to the X22's... but the numbers were nutty...

I hit them an average of 218.23 with a deviation of only -2.43 which was awesome IMO...

I know the strong loft and bit longer shaft is part of the distance increase but they just felt good to me, and maybe the lighter shaft in the DGSL is what allowed me to get a 5-10mph clubhead speed increase but those distances are kind of crazy...

Needless to say i will have these in play this week, I jumped the gun and preordered them before I went to golftec... LOL...

Apparently i have a REALLY low ballflight... i always thought I had a lower ballflight compared to alot of the guys I play with and it was definitely confirmed today...

All the above shots were with a 6I... My launch angles with the R7s' was only 11.14, but i was able to get the A4's up to 13.03... the Pro told me that I play the ball pretty far back in my stance and I should try moving the ball up to get better launch angles, and I apparently really deloft the club at impact which is producing the distance I am getting...

Is there a shaft I can try in the A4's to really increase my launch angles...?

Apparently i have a REALLY low ballflight... i always thought I had a lower ballflight compared to alot of the guys I play with and it was definitely confirmed today...

All the above shots were with a 6I... My launch angles with the R7s' was only 11.14, but i was able to get the A4's up to 13.03... the Pro told me that I play the ball pretty far back in my stance and I should try moving the ball up to get better launch angles, and I apparently really deloft the club at impact which is producing the distance I am getting...

why not just weaken the loft 1 or 2 degrees? You already have plenty of distance with them, so thats not a problem.

Lots of high launching shafts. I have the opposite problem of hitting too high of shots at times. DNG HL are new and could be good.

That IS a nice problem to have :)  It means you are coming into the ball at a nice angle.  Did you order the A4's with HL shafts?  So did you fing the Golftec fitting worth the money?  $165 for an hour sounds like a lot.

That IS a nice problem to have :)  It means you are coming into the ball at a nice angle.  Did you order the A4's with HL shafts?  So did you fing the Golftec fitting worth the money?  $165 for an hour sounds like a lot.

I thought I read you played AP2s for awhile. If so what's the differences between them and A4? Thanks.

why not just weaken the loft 1 or 2 degrees? You already have plenty of distance with them, so thats not a problem.

i launch all my clubs low though, so that doesn't solve the issue...

i don't have trouble holding greens with as much as a 6I though so I guess it's not "really" an "issue"... i guess i would just like to hit it higher if need be...

No i went ahead and just ordered them with the standard DGSL S300's... I'll play them for awhile and experiment with ball position and see if I am hitting it higher... then make adjustments as needed...

No certainly not worth $165 for the fitting... I knew I wanted the A4's, but it was nice to see side by side comparison of 4 different clubs... I'd say it was worth maybe half the price...

Not going to rate these yet with only one range session under my belt, but right now i'm kind of up in the air...

Pros right now:

Ridiculous distance

Great look

Great feel on center shots

Good feedback on off center shots

Still good distance on off center shots

Hybrids are soooo easy to hit, and really get the ball in the air

Cons right now:

Shaft feels kinda light, almost feels sloppy at the butt end after follow through... not even sure how to explain this, cause i don't feel like i'm overpowering the S300 DGSL, but my PX 6.0 does not give me this feeling at anytime in the swing...

I only hit about 50 balls, a mix of the PW, 8,7,5I's, 4H... didn't have my best swing out there today either and I felt like I could have scored with these today...

I have a scramble tomorrow so I'll have plenty of good lies to see how they perform on the course...

I can forsee an issue upcoming though as I was hitting the PW 145-150 yards, and my 50 degree GW is only good for about 125 at full bore... I guess I can manipulate the distance gap by choking down on the PW in the 130-145 yard range... didn't really see how the gap was between the 5I and 4H cause I hit the 5I like crap... couldn't put a good swing on that thing to save my life today...

will report back later, but may possibly be looking at a shaft change...

I can forsee an issue upcoming though as I was hitting the PW 145-150 yards, and my 50 degree GW is only good for about 125 at full bore... I guess I can manipulate the distance gap by choking down on the PW in the 130-145 yard range... didn't really see how the gap was between the 5I and 4H cause I hit the 5I like crap... couldn't put a good swing on that thing to save my life today...

will report back later, but may possibly be looking at a shaft change...

keep the reports coming! I also felt like the shafts were too light and had trouble feeling the clubhead throughout the swing, so I got them with reg DG shafts....not the SL's.

I would suggest you try the DG S300s. They are roughly 20 g's heavier and feels much better IMO.

Took them out on a whim and Oh how I miss the forgiveness, looked and played for straight shots and GOT 'EM. but only thing was my dumb self forgot to tune in my distances and found myself on the back of the green alot lol (even after adding 10 yards to my normal distance)....oh and did I mention I miss the distance too :)

If your looking for any further infomation on the A4's hopefully this threads helps

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...662&hl=zlim

Took them out on a whim and Oh how I miss the forgiveness, looked and played for straight shots and GOT 'EM. but only thing was my dumb self forgot to tune in my distances and found myself on the back of the green alot lol (even after adding 10 yards to my normal distance)....oh and did I mention I miss the distance too :)

Zlim! good to hear from you again! I still have my A4s. It sounds like are realizing they are much more forgiving than the MP52s? I really wish I could play the 52s as I LOVE the feel on pured shots, but the A4s are a nice little step down from them and they are almost as satisfying.

Update!

I have now played quite a bit with the A4's and have a feel for what they can and cannot do for me.

The sad realization that it is still the same word not allowed standing behind the ball has sort of hit me! :russian_roulette: It is certainly more of a swing issue than a club issue at this point.

When I pay attention and don't get lazy with my swing, the A4's present the best feeling club that I have ever owned. A pure shot is rewarded with a feel second to none and a bad shot (usually out towards the toe) is "forgiven" to the point that I end up near the green anyways! Chipping and putting is a strong point in my game, so getting me on or near the green is very big for me.

When I am lazy, however, I find that I can hit some rather unsatisfying shots.....as I mentioned above, they don't end up bad, they just don't feel good and do not generate that feeling that I am looking for. I am quite certain that this has nothing to do with the club, but is rather a function of my bad swing habits coming back into play.

I DO hit more shots that DO feel very good, but I seem to sneak in several of those unsatisfying strikes into the mix. Note to self: Take a lesson on how to keep that left wrist from breaking down before the clubhead gets to the ball!

The distances that these clubs present did cause a bit of a "learning curve" for me. What I found that I was doing was taking one less club (as the clubs' distances would dictate) but then, due to a faulty brain ravaged by years of beers at the turn, I would tend to convince myself that I had to swing really hard to actually get a 9 iron to go as far as they do. And we all know what happens when you try to amp up and hit an iron harder! This method seemed to generate that "unsatisying" contact that I wrote about. I have found, but cannot fully convince myself when out on the course, that an 80% swing "does the trick".

All in all, I firmly believe that the A4's are the club that will allow me to fight my way out of the proverbial woods and obtain some consistancy in my game. My good shots are very good and my bad shots generate results that I can live with.

In accordance with a pact that I have made with myself, I am refusing to go the "Club Ho" route and merely try to go buy something that will totally eliminate that unsatisying result. I HAVE what I need with respects to weaponry to achieve the satisfying feeling that a purely struck iron shot can provide......I just need to work on my game!

Hi Guys-

HAs anyone hit the A4's with graphite shafts in them?

I have A3's right now that I bought as I rehab back from a shoulder issue. My usual MP-52's are great, but too much risk if I hit the ground fat with the steel shafts (PX 5.0).

However, steady as the a3's are, I really miss some sense of feel (A3's have ZERO). Thinking of A4's as I heal a bit. I'm already an adopter of the 3,4 hybrid in my Mizzy MP-52 (fli-hi and 20* clk) set, but man! The a3 Hybrids are SO easy to hit (and crazy long).

I'm getting along great with the prolaunch red shafts.

Thanks!

Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Comp KK 60 g Stiff
Callaway Razr Fit 15* TourSPX vts silver
Mizuno MP hybrid 23* Fubuki S
Miura PP9003sn 5i - PW Aerotech SF80
Mizuno JPX 50* TP4 55* TP4 60*
Scotty Cameron Newport2

Hi Guys-

HAs anyone hit the A4's with graphite shafts in them?

I have A3's right now that I bought as I rehab back from a shoulder issue. My usual MP-52's are great, but too much risk if I hit the ground fat with the steel shafts (PX 5.0).

However, steady as the a3's are, I really miss some sense of feel (A3's have ZERO). Thinking of A4's as I heal a bit. I'm already an adopter of the 3,4 hybrid in my Mizzy MP-52 (fli-hi and 20* clk) set, but man! The a3 Hybrids are SO easy to hit (and crazy long).

I'm getting along great with the prolaunch red shafts.

Thanks!

I think the A4's w/ graphite would be excellent.  They have a very soft overall feel.  Never harsh at all and I have them in steel.  I did put some Prosoft inserts in mine and I always use my Bionic glove and Lamkin Stingfree grips, so I never have any vibration issues anymore whatsoever with the A4's.  

p.s. I have 6 extra Lamkin Stingfrees (midsize) if anyone's interested.

still waiting for my set to come in... i'm really anxoius to play them again after the demo round i had with them last week... i'm wondering if anyone has purchased the the gap and or sand wedge from this set...

i'd like to see how they look, as i'm considering at least getting the GW...

Did you get graphite or steel?

Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Comp KK 60 g Stiff
Callaway Razr Fit 15* TourSPX vts silver
Mizuno MP hybrid 23* Fubuki S
Miura PP9003sn 5i - PW Aerotech SF80
Mizuno JPX 50* TP4 55* TP4 60*
Scotty Cameron Newport2

I bought my set in the 5-PW, GW configuration and I find that the GW is a rather spectacular club! With the PW at 45 degrees loft and my Hogan Forged wedge at 53 degrees, I had a big gap in coverage without the GW at 50 degrees.

Wedges are sort of like putters........quite a bit of personal preferences come into play! Depending on what OTHER wedges you currently have, the GW is a great addition to the set. For me, it fit right into what I had and what I needed!

still waiting for my set to come in... i'm really anxoius to play them again after the demo round i had with them last week... i'm wondering if anyone has purchased the the gap and or sand wedge from this set...

i'd like to see how they look, as i'm considering at least getting the GW...

Did you get graphite or steel?

S300 steel. I'll give the DGSL's a try for now.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say I am loving these clubs. The first few rounds I was very impressed but was afraid it was the honeymoon period and soon the excitment would come down but I have played close to ten rounds now with these and keep picking up confidence. I originally bought the 5-PW off this board with the stock stiff shaft. I have since added the 3 and 4 iron and they are very easy to hit as well. I usually am not that great with a 3 iron but I have hit it several times now, included 3 times in todays round, and it is as easy to hit as hybrid for me. I am very impressed. With the stock shafts they produce a high ball flight and I keep thinking I am going to loose distance because they are hit so high but I haven't lost any distance at all with these. Matter of fact, I probably picked up 3-5 yards per iron. I also love the profile as I am not a fan of clunky irons. Those just don't fit my eye well. The A4s have a thin topline and set up great at address. Highly recommended.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. I have the 5-SW all in S300 steel shafts with "new decade" grips on and I can tell you these are the best irons I've hit for a long time. I don't use my SW though, I prefer my titleist vokey. I also struggle with the hybrids as well....and it frustrates me greatly. I've never been able to hit any adams hybrids very well...and these are no different. These hybrids sit in my closet UNUSED and I play a Jack Nicklaus hybrid and a pingeye2 copper 4 iron instead (both of which I hit pretty good). But I do plan on giving the hybrids another try. I hit these irons better and farther than anything I've ever played. My 5 iron is right at 200 yds, 9 iron 140-145 or so for comparitve purposes. I have more confidence with my 5 and 6 iron now than I ever have. I used to be very "uneasy" on 5 and 6 irons, now I'm firing at the flag as though I hold a 7 or 8 in my hand. My hncp is 4 for what it's worth. Anybody that would like photos.....hit me up.

• 3 weeks later...

What about the fact that the 5 iron is 38.5 inches, which is .75 inches longer than standard? Doesn't this have an effect on playability?

Can you ask for these in the standard length? Or do they come longer so that they match up better with the hybrids? What if you don't want the hybrids??

So many questions...

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX