picture in picture "playing through commercials"

Comments

• PompsPomps Members  1034WRX Points: 82Handicap: 2.9Posts: 1,034 Platinum Tees
    Yes, the puff pieces need to go. This is from the olympics. They know the idiot wrxer's like us will watch regardless. They can put it in black and white and we'll watch. You'll even have the not so serious golfer watch. Their untapped market is the people (many women) that will watch because there's a huge star (Tiger) or story to it, something to make it seem sentimental and pull on your heart. They need you to be emotionally invested in the players or other characters. There were reports that Fox did this with the cubs in the world series. They kept showing people biting their towels instead of players between pitches. They showed old women so nervous and sad, it can make you feel for them. If they can turn it into "92-year old aunt mildred has been a cubs fan her whole life and this would be magical", you can get the sentimental female audience that just wants to see a story. They love that stuff.
    Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 60TX (D4),
    Titleist 915f 15*(14.25*) - Diamana Ltd D+ 80x 43" (D4)
    Titleist 816 H1 17*(16*) - Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.8x 41" (D4)
    Titleist 915hd 20.5* (19.75*) - Diamana D+ 90s 40.5" (D4)
    TaylorMade p790 UDI 2 Iron - Project X Hzrdus Black 85 6.0 (D4; 2* flat)
    Srixon z785 4-9 - Project x6.5; 2* flat 
    Srixon z965 PW - Project x6.5; 2* flat
    Vokey SM6 F-Grind 51* (D5; 2* flat); Vokey SM7 S-Grind 56* (D5; 2* flat) & TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* (D7; 2* flat) - DG Tour Issue s400
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Newport 2 - 34"
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • nixnix Members  1014WRX Points: 76Handicap: 20.4Posts: 1,014 Platinum Tees
    I'm actually ok with some puff pieces, especially if not shown over leaders on Sunday. I liked the one about the people who work on the course at birkdale but are members, for example.
    Posted:
  • Rubenc87Rubenc87 Members  249WRX Points: 38Posts: 249 Fairways
    I think Fox Started the whole PIP when they aired the US Open.
    Posted:
  • Bluefan75Bluefan75 Members  4099WRX Points: 359Posts: 4,099 Titanium Tees
    Pomps wrote:

Yes, the puff pieces need to go. This is from the olympics. They know the idiot wrxer's like us will watch regardless. They can put it in black and white and we'll watch. You'll even have the not so serious golfer watch. Their untapped market is the people (many women) that will watch because there's a huge star (Tiger) or story to it, something to make it seem sentimental and pull on your heart. They need you to be emotionally invested in the players or other characters. There were reports that Fox did this with the cubs in the world series. They kept showing people biting their towels instead of players between pitches. They showed old women so nervous and sad, it can make you feel for them. If they can turn it into "92-year old aunt mildred has been a cubs fan her whole life and this would be magical", you can get the sentimental female audience that just wants to see a story. They love that stuff.

Fox's baseball MO has been the same for years in the playoffs in late innings. Close up of pitcher, cut to his dugout, cut to other dugout, cut to crowd(closeup or wider view), only cut to pitcher halfway into his motion.It's the same dang thing every time, and frankly takes away from the game.
    Posted:
  • StiffShaftStiffShaft Members  163WRX Points: 74Posts: 163 Fairways
    they're at it again. i hate this so much
    Posted:
    So terrible
    Posted:
    Vokey SM6 F-Grind 51* (D5; 2* flat); Vokey SM7 S-Grind 56* (D5; 2* flat) & TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* (D7; 2* flat) - DG Tour Issue s400

Advertisement
  • BearQBearQ Members  3667WRX Points: 855Posts: 3,667 Titanium Tees
    They seemed to choose the worst timing to run the commercials too. Right as a important shot/putt is about to be hit, oh lets reduce the screen size by >50%
    Posted:

• youraway2youraway2 Just Old Sticks Members  1404WRX Points: 110Handicap: 7Posts: 1,404 Platinum Tees
    I used to fast-forward, now I jump to another channel. It causes me to lose focus and become disinterested.
    Posted:
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G-400 Max, 10.5, Xtorsion[/font]
    PXG, 15-degree, ACCRA
    PXG, 19-degree hybrid, ACCRA
    Cobra DWS Utility 19-degree
    CF-16, 4-PW, UST Recoil
    0311 PXG, 5-AW, i70 Areotech Steel-fiber
    SW, 56 PXG
    Ping Nickel Anser II
  • FergusonFerguson Members  5868WRX Points: 3,291Handicap: 7.0Posts: 5,868 Titanium Tees
    This is what we've become.

Apparently "WE" (the collective TV viewing audience) need marketing bombardment 24/7-365.
    Posted:
    Ferguson wrote:
    This is what we've become.

Apparently "WE" (the collective TV viewing audience) need marketing bombardment 24/7-365.

Exactly. Always need an ad in the screen. Every second is potential ad space to sell, even if it ruins the content like NBC is doing with golf.
    Posted:
    I hate this so much
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  30917WRX Points: 7,190Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,917 Titanium Tees
    Terrible amount of commercials. Good grief. I missed 40 minutes of Spieth round. Came back in and fast forwarded and stopped on each of his shots and caught back up to live coverage in 8 minutes.
    Posted:
  • digger91digger91 Members  86WRX Points: 40Handicap: 6Posts: 86 Fairways
    They do it with plenty of sports/racing. Formula 1 is a big one that they do it with as well. I actually enjoy it. I’d rather not miss any action, even if it’s a smaller screen.
    Posted:

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9* HZRDUS Yellow 6.5

Taylormade M2 15* STIFF

Ping G410 19* Alta Stiff

Mizuno JPX 900 Tour DG300 Stiff 4-PW

Callaway PM Grind 56/60

Titleist SM5 50* F Grind

Taylormade TP Juno Black Copper

Titleist AVX

it's not like they are doing us a favor so we don't miss any action. I miss everything when they do the "playing through commercial" and they still have plenty of regular commercial breaks to. The golf is ridiculously small. They are integrating the advertising and entertainment in a really offensive way. It's just unnecessary and classless
    Posted:
    digger91 wrote:

They do it with plenty of sports/racing. Formula 1 is a big one that they do it with as well. I actually enjoy it. I’d rather not miss any action, even if it’s a smaller screen.

This is even worse, because if there is a crash or anything that goes on, when the commercials are done, the announcers aren't talking about what happened because you were away, they've moved on. You have to hope they talk about it again to find out what happened.

I've yet to see the "action" that "isn't missed" due to this.

Amazingly, these networks show soccer games, and manage to go the entire half without breaking for commercial. But anything else....
    Posted:
  • HoldTheLagHoldTheLag The greatest pleasure is obtained by improving. Members  362WRX Points: 64Posts: 362 Greens
    When I see this it reminds me of the little monitors above the urinals at the sports bar.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    This drives me crazy
    Posted:
  • bucky316bucky316 Members  789WRX Points: 4Posts: 789 Golden Tee
    StiffShaft wrote:

This picture in picture "playing through commercials" garbage is the most evil form of advertising that i could imagine. The golf is tiny and no sound. I totally miss everything that happens. I'd rather just watch commercials. I pray they don't make this standard for all tournaments. I have a bad feeling
    if the alternative was pay-per-view would you prefer that?

I like the pic-in-pic technology....the bills have to be paid & this is the best option I've seen to-date....It seems to be working for NASCAR.... I wish MLB would do this too
    Posted:
    Just show the commercials and then show the golf. Don’t combine the two. If they need more commercial breaks then fine. The little box of golf is pointless
    Posted:
  • TheBoomer TheBoomer Members  3439WRX Points: 171Posts: 3,439 Titanium Tees
    Pathetic
    Posted:
    Something Rare
    Something JDM
    WITB Link
    Just makes me wanna puke
    Posted:

Advertisement
    I can't believe they would do this during the Ryder Cup. Disgraceful
    Posted:
  • ChoclabChoclab Members  402WRX Points: 168Posts: 402 Greens
    Really getting sick of it. Wish they'd just show the full screen ad then go back to the recorded shots like they used to.
    Posted:
    Srixon Z785, Cleve persimmon 3W, Ram TW276 3-PW, Miz Mp raw 56, Wilson 8813
    Terrible
    Posted:
  • mptiesko10mptiesko10 Members  65WRX Points: 54Posts: 65 Bunkers
    bucky316 wrote:

StiffShaft wrote:

This picture in picture "playing through commercials" garbage is the most evil form of advertising that i could imagine. The golf is tiny and no sound. I totally miss everything that happens. I'd rather just watch commercials. I pray they don't make this standard for all tournaments. I have a bad feeling
    if the alternative was pay-per-view would you prefer that?

I like the pic-in-pic technology....the bills have to be paid & this is the best option I've seen to-date....It seems to be working for NASCAR.... I wish MLB would do this too

Cable is already pretty expensive. It just seems like they try to squeeze every penny out of these big events and it ends up taking away from the experience. Companies keep trying to maximize profits and it ends up watering down the product. Then it's the "how to we beat last quarters earnings" and it keeps getting worse.

Kind of a negative attitude this morning but it gets old.
    Posted:
  • EmerichEmerich Members  132WRX Points: 44Handicap: 9.1Posts: 132 Fairways
    StiffShaft wrote:

Really? Seeing SOME action is worse than seeing NO action? I don't mean to be rude, but that makes no sense whatsoever.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Emerich wrote:

StiffShaft wrote:

Really? Seeing SOME action is worse than seeing NO action? I don't mean to be rude, but that makes no sense whatsoever.

You make no sense. They should shrink the golf and pack in as many commercials as possible cuz seeing some action is better than no action. I don’t mean to be rude but that’s stupid
    Posted:
  • EmerichEmerich Members  132WRX Points: 44Handicap: 9.1Posts: 132 Fairways
    StiffShaft wrote:

You make no sense. They should shrink the golf and pack in as many commercials as possible cuz seeing some action is better than no action. I don't mean to be rude but that's stupid

You seem to be agreeing with me while at the same time telling me I'm stupid. I guess you're drunk?
    Posted:
    Emerich wrote:

StiffShaft wrote:

You make no sense. They should shrink the golf and pack in as many commercials as possible cuz seeing some action is better than no action. I don't mean to be rude but that's stupid

You seem to be agreeing with me while at the same time telling me I'm stupid. I guess you're drunk?

I don’t drink. I’m not agreeing with you.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Emerich wrote:

StiffShaft wrote:

unless you're watching on a 75" screen, you're not seeing action. Just a tiny picture. #1 you have no context. Just "while we were away" if there was something worth it. This is just seeing how many people are stupid enough to believe them when they call the pile of chicken s&^t a chicken salad. There are still the same number of proper commercial breaks, then add these in, they've stuck more commercials in and have you cheerleading their move.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.