Apex Pro vs 714 AP2

Ripken08

I used to be a Titleist guy, and have tried to warm up to the AP2s more than once (first time I went I25s, the latest Apex Pros).

There is just some combination between the look at address and feel I didn't like.

Maybe I never tried them with the right shafts, for now I am all Callaway (something I never thought I would say).

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played the apex pro's at the start of last year. Loved the feel of them. So soft and muted. But I found the distance control to be alittle lacking. They were also stupid long. Messed up my wedge gapping.

If I went back to them I would have them bent alittle weak

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

[quote name='Ripken08' timestamp='1426077549' post='11120469']
Torn between these two sets. I would think performance would prety close.

The finish issues reported with the Apex Pros concern me somewhat.

Who has played both and which did you prefer and why?
[/quote]

I own both. I even have a tour issued set of apex pros and I still prefer the ap2 irons currently.

The pros are nice, but the ap2s just feel like a hammer when I hit them.

Going to give the pros one more shot before I sell them, but I don't see them dethroning the current champ.

AI Smoke Triple Diamond 

HiBore 2w “Unicorn”

G410 3w & 3h

Currently testing the rest 🙂 

• 1 month later...

I played my 1st round with my PRO's having spent last season playing the 712 AP2's. I will not beat a dead horse but I will say this. I found ZERO difference in the forgiveness, both have excellent turf interaction and the PRO's are longer! I was using my new GPS Watch so I got to measure a few shots. I hit 3 shots between 1-1.5 clubs longer.

I am a very high ball hitter due to a tendency to cast my wrist. My previous 7i was 155yds. I hit my 9i 152yds on one hole (I did flush it) and my AW 130yds on another.

I am VERY happy with my purchase!

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

[quote name='OrangeCrush' timestamp='1431346892' post='11536844']
I played my 1st round with my PRO's having spent last season playing the 712 AP2's. I will not beat a dead horse but I will say this. I found ZERO difference in the forgiveness, both have excellent turf interaction and the PRO's are longer! I was using my new GPS Watch so I got to measure a few shots. I hit 3 shots between 1-1.5 clubs longer.

I am a very high ball hitter due to a tendency to cast my wrist. My previous 7i was 155yds. I hit my 9i 152yds on one hole (I did flush it) and my AW 130yds on another.

[/quote]

Hello...What shafts did you get in the Pro's?

[quote name='jcosjrgolf' timestamp='1431361591' post='11538344']

[/quote]

Hello...What shafts did you get in the Pro's?
[/quote]

Jimmy,

Check ur PM

Instagram Link

[/quote]

Good to know that you find the Apex Pro every bit as forgiving as the AP2.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1431363494' post='11538596']

[/quote]

Good to know that you find the Apex Pro every bit as forgiving as the AP2.
[/quote]

Derek,

This was my 1st rd in 7 mths and when I got the PRO's in March I looked down at them, I got 2nd thoughts due to the head size but I had a great ball striking round. I did add the regular Apex 4i for extra forgiveness but I only used it 2x to punch below some tree limbs.

Instagram Link

Very interesting hearing about these two.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[/quote]

Sounds about right...Add in the right shaft and I am sure you could be a full club or so longer. The 712 Ap2's Vs Apex Pro...lofts in the 7 iron I think are 2 or 3 degrees different. I am not knocking it trust me....ALL club makers are doing this now.

[i]"You can hit this 7 Iron 200 yards..!!!"[/i] I bet you can because it is the loft of a 5 iron...!

I have the 714's and they are shorter (1/2 club) then what I was playing and it is all do to LOFT difference. I could bend my 714's but don't want to because I get the exact ball flight I like with them now. Plus...sadly I hit my 5 Iron probably as solid if not better as my 8 iron. LOL

I am starting to buy into the HOGAN aspect honestly....just loft numbers on the club. I think that would change everyone's views honestly.

Lofts don't lie... 34 degrees is....34 degrees no matter how you slice it.

[quote name='Chile Dip Master' timestamp='1431400412' post='11542668']

[/quote]

Sounds about right...Add in the right shaft and I am sure you could be a full club or so longer. The 712 Ap2's Vs Apex Pro...lofts in the 7 iron I think are 2 or 3 degrees different. I am not knocking it trust me....ALL club makers are doing this now.

[i]"You can hit this 7 Iron 200 yards..!!!"[/i] I bet you can because it is the loft of a 5 iron...!

I have the 714's and they are shorter (1/2 club) then what I was playing and it is all do to LOFT difference. I could bend my 714's but don't want to because I get the exact ball flight I like with them now. Plus...sadly I hit my 5 Iron probably as solid if not better as my 8 iron. LOL

I am starting to buy into the HOGAN aspect honestly....just loft numbers on the club. I think that would change everyone's views honestly.

[/quote]

But it's not just about lofts. This argument is very one dimensional. If a club manufacturers R&D team can take a 34* iron (whatever # it happens to be) and make it launch 3* higher than a competitors 34* iron, they CAN strengthen the lofts, make the club go further, and keep the trajectory the exact same. Strengthening the lofts do NOTHING if the clubs launch lower - they won't go any further. The only reason manufacturers can strengthen lofts is because they are designing clubs that have hotter faces and launch significantly higher than equivalently lofted clubs from yesteryear.

If it was as easy as simply jacking lofts, everyone would have done it years ago. But it's technology that is allowing clubs to launch much higher, and by strengthening the lofts you can get a 31* 7-iron to launch the same as a 34* 7-iron but go further, than everyone wins.

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1431486527' post='11549804']

[/quote]

[/quote]

But it's not just about lofts. This argument is very one dimensional. If a club manufacturers R&D team can take a 34* iron (whatever # it happens to be) and make it launch 3* higher than a competitors 34* iron, they CAN strengthen the lofts, make the club go further, and keep the trajectory the exact same. Strengthening the lofts do NOTHING if the clubs launch lower - they won't go any further. The only reason manufacturers can strengthen lofts is because they are designing clubs that have hotter faces and launch significantly higher than equivalently lofted clubs from yesteryear.

If it was as easy as simply jacking lofts, everyone would have done it years ago. But it's technology that is allowing clubs to launch much higher, and by strengthening the lofts you can get a 31* 7-iron to launch the same as a 34* 7-iron but go further, than everyone wins.
[/quote]

Dtown... If we ever get the Colorado group golf round in we can debate it over a beer my friend.... until then... I agree with your statement...being an engineer your math is valid on paper.... but put it to the real world...with REAL WORLD golfers.

Since you feel it is better design. Question...why is everyone not copying it? If it is a real world / revolutionary design that is? [i]History has shown us all that something the flat works gets copied not matter what it is, some improve on it too. Ie: In golf I think of Ping and square grooves.... no one touched it during the lawsuit time...Ping wins the suit...EVERY company switched. [/i]

I bit on the hype of the XR Pro since I tested the Apex Pro when getting my AP2's. Yes I was hitting the "7" 180+ yards... but I also was hitting my 6 iron 190 ...which given 1 degree more and half inch longer I would expect that.

Why I don't agree with the concept. I lost everything right...BAD right at time. The stock lightweight KBS 90 gram shafts was noodle to me. We tossed in the a few other KBS shafts (Ctapper light / Tour V...etc in S/S+/X) and I a lot better accuracy....but I lost distance upon that. Around 3-5 yards depending on the shaft. [i](KBS is a nice shaft too by the way...)[/i] So for me now the distance gain is gone and it is pretty close to my 7 iron, smidge longer.

Apex Pro vs 714 Ap2.... pretty much dead even on distance and ball flight. But iron to iron the stats are almost exact for that matter. I liked both honestly but I could work the ball better the AP2's. **[i] really liked MIZZY best but not a practice enough guy now for semi blades...[/i]

to me It is just funny that people worry so much about "distance" more so the number on the bottom the club...

I would challenge anyone to test this. Take the AP2 and cut the 6 iron down 0.5" and hit it.... Compare it to the XR Pro since that is supposed to be Callaway's longest club. I would bet they go within YARDS of each other...I would concede the PRO might be bit longer just because the shaft kicking the ball higher...Same shat I would bet almost dead on. It might come down to grooves and how much spin it put on each....

If you did not tell anyone the stats, I know there would people out there that would say...NO NO NO NO its a 6 iron, it says so on the bottom... but in real world its the same length and loft as the 7 iron. People will really believe because the number says 6 Vs 7 it is different.... "Okay" I can live with it, because we all know this game is mental also and that can help.

[quote name='Chile Dip Master' timestamp='1431561371' post='11554936']
[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1431486527' post='11549804']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dtown... If we ever get the Colorado group golf round in we can debate it over a beer my friend.... until then... I agree with your statement...being an engineer your math is valid on paper.... but put it to the real world...with REAL WORLD golfers.

Since you feel it is better design. Question...why is everyone not copying it? If it is a real world / revolutionary design that is? [i]History has shown us all that something the flat works gets copied not matter what it is, some improve on it too. Ie: In golf I think of Ping and square grooves.... no one touched it during the lawsuit time...Ping wins the suit...EVERY company switched. [/i]

I bit on the hype of the XR Pro since I tested the Apex Pro when getting my AP2's. Yes I was hitting the "7" 180+ yards... but I also was hitting my 6 iron 190 ...which given 1 degree more and half inch longer I would expect that.

Why I don't agree with the concept. I lost everything right...BAD right at time. The stock lightweight KBS 90 gram shafts was noodle to me. We tossed in the a few other KBS shafts (Ctapper light / Tour V...etc in S/S+/X) and I a lot better accuracy....but I lost distance upon that. Around 3-5 yards depending on the shaft. [i](KBS is a nice shaft too by the way...)[/i] So for me now the distance gain is gone and it is pretty close to my 7 iron, smidge longer.

Apex Pro vs 714 Ap2.... pretty much dead even on distance and ball flight. But iron to iron the stats are almost exact for that matter. I liked both honestly but I could work the ball better the AP2's. **[i] really liked MIZZY best but not a practice enough guy now for semi blades...[/i]

to me It is just funny that people worry so much about "distance" more so the number on the bottom the club...

I would challenge anyone to test this. Take the AP2 and cut the 6 iron down 0.5" and hit it.... Compare it to the XR Pro since that is supposed to be Callaway's longest club. I would bet they go within YARDS of each other...I would concede the PRO might be bit longer just because the shaft kicking the ball higher...Same shat I would bet almost dead on. It might come down to grooves and how much spin it put on each....

If you did not tell anyone the stats, I know there would people out there that would say...NO NO NO NO its a 6 iron, it says so on the bottom... but in real world its the same length and loft as the 7 iron. People will really believe because the number says 6 Vs 7 it is different.... "Okay" I can live with it, because we all know this game is mental also and that can help.
[/quote]

Everyone is doing it. Every major golf OEM has irons that have been engineered with stronger lofts, faster faces, and higher launching CGs. Some less than others but they are all doing it. You rarely if ever see a PW at 48-49* anymore. Players oriented clubs end up 47-46*. Super game improvement irons are 45-44*. It's no surprise SGI irons are "jacked" the strongest. It's not that they want them to go the furthest, but with the largest chassis, the lowest CG, and generally the fastest faces they can get those irons to be the fastest and launch the highest.

So I love debate but I'm not sure I understand your argument. It's fact!

After trading my ap2s for apex pros I have to say wow. I never would have thought the apex pros would be so different and so much better of a fit for me. My ball flight is back down in the earths atmosphere and I am at least a half club longer, probably close to a full club. I also have the ability to really step on one and put some extra yards on it. The feel is ridiculously better as well.

Even with the smaller heel to toe face they are pretty forgiving. I think a big thing I have noticed is the bounce difference. That sharp leading edge on the ap2 gave me a little more trouble than I was used to. I'm excited to see where the season goes now. Wish I had these earlier.

• 3 years later...

didnt want to start a new thread but i just traded in 14 apex pros with kbs tour v 110 stiff for ap2s w/ s300 stiff and might be regretting it. my ball flight is much higher and shorter with the ap2s and i play in wind a lot so its not a good fit. is this standard or more on the shaft or the club? i didnt think the heavier s300 would balloon like it is