Thoughts about playing in wind

2»

Comments

• RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Members Posts: 1,061 ✭✭
    jvincent wrote:

Do either of you use rain gloves? No chance of a club slipping using them.

Yes, I own a pair. They help, but I still don't feel 100% comfortable.
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges
  • RichieHuntRichieHunt Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭
    Playing in the wind is something I detailed along with Andrew Rice in 2018 Pro Golf Synopsis.

There's a lot of interesting findings, particularly how golfers tend to subconsciously adjust in the wind.

RH
  • B_of_HB_of_H Members Posts: 262 ✭✭
    its not nearly as hard (and therefore more fun to play) in the wind with the modern ball compared to the balata. 20+ years ago you had to really get creative and worry about spin far more. Now you can just flight a ball down and it penetrates pretty well to your target roughly. The same shot with balata may balloon like crazy and float OB.
    Srixon z785 9.5* hzrudus black 75g 6.5
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* hzrdus yellow 76g 6.5
    P790 UDI 18* (all irons KBS tour 130x)
    Mizuno MP18 (7-Pw), SC (5-6), MMC (4)
    Vokey sm7 50*, sm6 55*, TVD-M 60*
    1994 Scotty Cameron by Titleist Newport 35"
  • juststevejuststeve Members Posts: 4,763 ✭✭
    Wind is a factor in any game played out doors. Golf is played out doors. Deal with it.

Steve
  • lchanglchang Members Posts: 548 ✭✭
    I feel like people should read my original post again. When you can’t keep your balance at address, are you still able to embrace the challenge of hitting shots and playing the right clubs?

Or does it never happen to you? Is it because I’m kinda tall and lanky?
  • spud3spud3 Portland, ORMembers Posts: 1,614 ✭✭
    It's happened to me a couple of times at Bandon. Once in a sideways rain and once without.

The round with the rain is just a survival thing. Not particularly pleasant, but having good gear made it tolerable.

When it's just the wind, it made for a unique experience (most similar to one time playing nearly blind drunk back in college, but that's another story).

I found it really funny to have to think about something so fundamental as not getting blown over in my back swing. Another thing was keeping my club on the swing path, especially the driver. It meant shortening my swing quite a bit and playing everything way down. You could almost leave all the clubs in the bag except your 4 iron. In fact, I may try that next time. But I ended up approaching it like I was doing Faldo's 9-to-3 drill, with a bit more intensity.
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members Posts: 1,024 ✭✭
    edited Jan 10, 2019 6:37am #38
    lchang wrote:

I feel like people should read my original post again. When you can’t keep your balance at address, are you still able to embrace the challenge of hitting shots and playing the right clubs?

Or does it never happen to you? Is it because I’m kinda tall and lanky?

Happens to everyone. I'd bet the amount it happens to one person is proportional to surface area and indirectly so to center of gravity. So bigger people have more force exerted on them, but should be heavier if not lower.

Those shorter and more rotund might be more stable but lack the weight to lessen it as much as you'd think.

When it's breezy swing easy has worked for me. Club up and just make good slower contact, fly lower. Maybe the longer club helps too?
    Cobra F9 10.5* Project X Evenflow Blue 65 - CAMO!
    Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file