Bridgestone X-CBP Anyone???

Timastyle

Just got back from a round of golf and shot one of my best scores to date and ended with a 81 on par 72. Course was short playing at just over 5800 yards but there was a lot of elevation change and a bit more like target golf. Used a lot of long irons off the tee.

I'm very impressed with both the heads and shafts. The irons are very forgiving for me. I'd equate these to say a Callaway pro series in forgiveness. Anywhere near the middle of the face and you're good. Big misses are bad no matter what you use. My only gripe if I were to knit pick about something is that you can't really feel where you hit the ball on the face unless you're way off center but so long as they deliver results, it doesn't bother me and these definitely deliver.

The shafts were great too. Not much lateral changes with baby draws/fades all day. Height, flight and feel were excellent.

This combo is a winner and I'm extremely happy overall. Don't think there's a need to look for different shafts anymore. ?

Hello any new updates?

How did they compare on distance?

Thank you

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello good folks here in GolfNut land!

Wanted to let you all know I ran across MapleHillGolf (via ebay store) selling these X-CBP irons with Snoke KBS$ Tour shafts in standard, +.5" and +1" lengths for $419 for 5-PW!!!!! If you order these custom with these shafts, the shaft upcharge is $449 (+$1250 for the clubs)

Go get tham while you can!

Amazon also selling these through a 3rd party for same price, but look like only standard length.

Cheers and hope you get a set if you really want them!

As for my thoughts on these, I have no idea, other than I have been playing the X-CB's for 8 months and are my favorite club I have ever played.

They are the softest feel in the market, compared to the others I have hit. Even the Mizuno MP 18. They are as soft as the old Mizuno MP 4 I once owned back in early 2000 (still hate myself for trading those in for MP 32 set.) I will mishit the X-CB once in a while and the ball flies great and comes up a little short, but completely acceptable for the mishits toward toe and heel.

The sole grind is SPECTACULAR! I have never had a club that performs this well. I tested hitting out of divots and the sole just glides on the dirt! It is amazing!

I have these with NS Modus3 105 in the long irons and Modus3 120 in the P-8. The 105 in the 4,5,6 are excellent, as it definitely helps get the ball in the air better than the 120s.

Can't wait to compare against the KBS$ with the X-CBP heads. I am planning the store the X-CBPs and use them after I wear out the X-CB set. I saw the latest TourBs and not interest in the design as it appears they are moving away from the 2017 design with the larger concentration of mass behind the ball strike taget area, which I believe helps make the feel as soft as it is.

I also found a shop on ebay that was doing an Xmas sale on the X-Blades and bought that set for under $600. Came with Modus3 130s. I'm using them in the P and 9 right now and practicing at the range with the 8 iron. Love the lower ball flight, given the Santa Ana wind days!

That's all I got for now. Cheers everyone!

Found this on German Bridgestone site:

The X-CBP is not forged 1022. Made from SA8688 (whatever that is).

• Pocket Cavity Iron supports high trajectory for precise play
  • Perimetric weight distribution from the center of the clubhead to the outside for high forgiveness
  • Beveled sole allows for varied strokes
  • Latest SA8655 steel

As well, the X-CB is a compact head, the X-CBP is a larger head.

This club is definitely not a "Players" clubhead. I will report back with how it feels when I get my X-CBP this weekend.

I can't find any info on SA8655 steel, but browsing a steel mfg PDF, the 8655 appears to be a carbon steel variant. Given the increased carbon, these heads should feel harder when hitting balls. BUT, this is Japanese material. I am suspecting that the face on these X-CBP heads might be thinner. Machining this material is more difficult than 1022. I suspect they are making this to offer higher ball speeds on off center hits.

% Carbon Manganese Phosphorus Sulfer Nitrogen Molybdenum

1022 .18-.23 .7-1.0 .4 .o5

8655 ..53-.58 .75-1.0 .4 .15-.25

From one of my knife steel sites:

Carbon: Generally with increased levels of carbon you get a harder steel, improved tensile strength, edge retention and overall resistance to wear.

Manganese: Manganese will contribute to increased hardness as well as tensile strength and resistance to wear and tear

Sulfer: Sulfur is often regarded as an impurity in steel. However, in small amounts, Sulfur improves machinability

Phosphorus: Phosphorous is generally considered to be an impurity in steels. It can be found in amounts up to 0.04% in carbon steels. In hardened steels it can create brittleness. In higher-strength, lower-alloy steels phosphorus can be added up to 0.10% for improving strength, hardness and resistance to corrosion.

Nitrogen: Nitrogen can be used in place of carbon in the steel matrix. It increases resistance to localized corrosion, especially in combination with molybdenum. The Nitrogen atom will function in a similar manner to the carbon atom but offers unusual advantages in corrosion resistance.

Molybdenum: Molybdenum will increase toughness which reduces the liklihood of chipping. It also allows the steel to maintain its strength at high temperatures which helps with how easy a blade is to produce in the factory. Like chromium it is a driver of carbide formation but is used typically in small relative quantities.

Hello good folks here in GolfNut land!

Wanted to let you all know I ran across MapleHillGolf (via ebay store) selling these X-CBP irons with Snoke KBS$ Tour shafts in standard, +.5" and +1" lengths for $419 for 5-PW!!!!! If you order these custom with these shafts, the shaft upcharge is $449 (+$1250 for the clubs)

Go get tham while you can!

Amazon also selling these through a 3rd party for same price, but look like only standard length.

Cheers and hope you get a set if you really want them!

They were $399 on ebay last week.

I'm still loving lhese. Even after months of not playing, I was hitting these great. Distance is on par with the Z565 and the forgiveness is even better. Bought a gem here .

If you have any questions please feel free to ask .

How chunky are they? Anything you can compare them to in blade size? And how are the long irons, if you are playing them. Looking for an easy to launch 4 and 5 iron.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

They're not chunky really when compared to other similar irons. z565 being an example, I posted pics. Compared to a MB, they'll have a thicker topline and longer heel to toe but by no means are they like a Ping G series.

I find the long irons very easy to hit and launch. I have historically been a low/mid ball flight guy. With these I'm much more mid to mid/high. I see you have the Z565 4i and I found these easier to launch.

The material spec I got the steel material from was Bstone's German web site for the 2018 product line (I loaded into Chrome and translated to en):

http://www.bridgesto.../node_15763.htm

The material states "Latest SA8655 Steel", so this may indeed be new for the 2018 version and I may luck out....

... Y-E-S !!!!!!!!!

The Maple Hill Golf ad says they are 1020 steel!!! WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO! These are going in the back to replace the Srixon ZU85's

NEW Bridgestone Tour B X-CBP Forged 5-PW Irons KBS $-Taper Black Smoke Steel

Street Price: $999.99

The premium 1020 forging of our TOUR B X-CB irons offer incredible feel and playability. The compact head and wide sole offer more control and smooth turf interaction. Forged mass at impact zone for solid feel and response. Compact head for tour-level control and a customized shape in every shot.

(RkyMtn's Note: this description appears to be of the X-CB iron, as the X-CBP is not a "compact" head. Emailed seller to get the story.)

Features:

• Shafts: KBS Money Taper Black Smoke Steel
  • Grips: Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Compond Red/Grey

Timastyle is doing all Bridgestone fans a great service. I had missed the comparison photos. I really did not like the Srixon V-sole in the long irons. I absolutely enjoy the sole of the J15CB. I checked the photos Timastyle posted and saw that fabulous Bridgestone sole — beveled on both sides. Love it.

$419 for these 1020 Bridgestone heads and smoke KBS $Taper shafts? They will sell these out. Just grabbed a set. Will be fun to try them out.

Here's an excerpt from another site: "The CBP irons feature a cavity back pocket design (hence the CBP), and are an update to Bridgestone’s previous J-15 Dual Pocket Forged irons. They’re 1020 forged and feature a little more offset and a bit wider sole than the existing Tour B X-CB irons. They’re reasonably comparable to the Callaway Apex or the Wilson C-300 Forged in terms of playability."

This can also be found on a Golf Digest article (looks like the other site just reiterated what I found on GD)

Head's up as well...Amazon has these for the same amount, but only 2 remaining in stock with stiff shafts.

Let us know what you think. There aren't a lot of users out there, so any feedback would be appreciated by others I'm sure.

I definitely will. Mine already came and are waiting for me at home. But I am at Torrey Pines — a nice break from East Coast winter! Maple Hill had them to me in two days. First time dealing with them.

Let us know what you think. There aren't a lot of users out there, so any feedback would be appreciated by others I'm sure.

I definitely will. Mine already came and are waiting for me at home. But I am at Torrey Pines — a nice break from East Coast winter! Maple Hill had them to me in two days. First time dealing with them.

Let us know what the stock grips are. I ordered a set arriving in the Philippines in 3 weeks. I want to have grips ready if I don't like the stock grips.

Let us know what the stock grips are. I ordered a set arriving in the Philippines in 3 weeks. I want to have grips ready if I don't like the stock grips.

Took the 5 iron X-CBP to the range today to A|B test against the X-CB. X-CB is softer, likely do to the thicker face. The design of the X-CBP is just like the Srixon, with a cut in the cavity to separate the back of the club head face from the lower back portion of the club head. The top part of the back side of the face is not milled, but has what appears to be a plastic plate with a damping material to soften the ball strike of an off-center hit. I also grabbed my friend's Srixon 585, and I thought the 585 felt a little softer.

The combination of the high launch characteristic of the of the X-CBP with the KBS$ 120 shaft produced a perfect trajectory for me. Got the ball in the air and out to a respectable distance (with practice balls, so we'll see what comes with Callaway Soft Chrome Graphine balls when on the course next, but I excited!) This looks like it will allow me to bomb a shot into the green without running to and/or off the back. I was able to adjust trajectory to hit medium and high shots. And could draw or fade with focus. But this is made for straight hitting and does this well and consistently (which I very much appreciate to increase my confidence - which accounts for a lot!)

Got to replace and build up grips, so we'll get a better idea of the club then. But I'm already sold and put the 5 and 6 in the bag. Since there isn't a 4 iron, I am going to use a Srixon 585.

Additional Comparison Info: While these X-CBP heads are firmer than the XC-B heads, these are still softer than any of the heads I have tested (blade and pocket cavity heads from Mizuno, Cobra, Callaway... in steel shafts) made from 1025 steel. Thank you Bridgestone and Srixon for using the soft 1020 steel that has the BEST feel!

Cheers!

I just bought a set from the seller on Amazon. Went with the regular shafts (110 gram); didn't think I could make the jump to the 120. I've been playing Recoil 780 F4s, and wanted to try a heavier shaft. But getting to try a new club is a bonus.

I like the idea of the pocket cavity but still getting a 46-degree PW.

More info about the clubs: http://golf-saishin.skr.jp/archives/1986

shame they arent available with a light graphite shaft :-(

Hi i*windows! True, it would be convenient and very budget friendly if Bstone had a graphite shaft option, but, ultimately, the choice the MFG would make would likely not be to your preference. For $416 for a set of $1000 clubs, you now have the opportunity to put in the graphite shaft you want. Not to mention the opportunity you have to hunt down a set of pulled shafts on the forum here to further your $ savings.

I think this is the first set of clubs I have bought that I didn't require me to change the shafts, aside from the custom orders.

This is based on a browser translation, but the Bridgestone press release says that the body is forged, but the face is made from SAE 8655 Chrome Molybendum (?) Steel.

And the stock specs and some pics:

cpc-1.png?resize=676%2C266

cpc-2.png?resize=671%2C485

cpc-3.png?resize=635%2C311

I believe that is correct though there seem to be confusion as to whether that is this series or the one that came after. I don’t know and does not matter because I assume these are some kind of cupface or insert face design.

The X-CBP’s are likely similar to Cally Apex, Srixon 500 series, Mizuno Hot Metals, TM 790, Titleist AP2, etc. — steel face laser-welded to forged body. Common construction for distance irons and the quality of the feel depends on how they went about it and what dampening they have included.

Even the Mizzy JPX 919 Forged has a cavity milled out behind the clubface. Not likely we are going to see distance irons going forward that are solid heads completely forged out of one piece of steel. The cavity or hollow head is needed because it creates the trampoline effecf.