2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

BOA Lacing System

So, I have plantar fasciitis and after about 10 holes it flares up, I power through but wonder if a snugger fit or something might ease the pain or reduce whatever triggers it. I have read here and there about the boa system, but I have no idea if it helps or is just another gimmic - albeit one that has merit (or so it seems).

Can anyone explain how it feels to them and if they have gotten benefit from using this - what about the Nike version (or whatever Koepka was using?

Thanks!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't comment on whether it would help your PF, but they do stay nice and snug throughout the round. I have had both FJ and Adidas. I like the FJ a little better due to the crank being in the heel vs. on the side of the Adidas. Both control the fit just as well, just a little personal preference on turning / tightening. I do have a friend with your issue and he uses a compression fit sock which he says helps greatly.

Ping G430 10K w/ Chrome Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Ping i525 6-PW Project X IO
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*
LAB Mezz Max 

Alphard V2 wheels

What kind of shoes are you wearing? I found that anything but a hard sole was a problem. I switched back to the Titan Tour Ignite and the Tour 360's and the PF went away. Just not enough support through the forefoot with the soft shoes.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Thank you both. I do use compression socks. I have had this problem (which comes and goes) for several years. I do have both hard soled (the older Adidas that were really light but more like a soccer boot), and some puma sneaker style. I also had the really heavy - compared to what I mentioned, 360 Tours which were white and Orange - these were rather heavy and I got rid of them due to squeaks and the heavier weight. I did like them, but did not care for the weight.

I was of the impression that the BOA system couples the shoe to the foot more snuggly keeping the heel and shoe together - so to speak. I assumed that this might help with the plantar.

Fortunately, I do not suffer from plantar fasciitis but know a couple of people who do. They have had pretty good luck with getting custom inserts for their shoes. One of them spent a bloody fortune at a store here in Houston but swears by it. The other used a place he found online who sent him a box looking deal that you step into to get an impression of your feet. Sent that back and they sent him the inserts. Supposedly much cheaper but still think they were couple hundred dollars. From what I am told, this fixed both their problems. You might look into doing something like that. I understand that crap can be very painful.

Id argue that regular laces can be done up tighter, I always have to re-snug my boas after the first hole to really snug them down as they kind of bind when you just throw em on in the parking lot and crank em down. You kind have to move your foot around to get the boa to really tighten up.... but maybe I'm just nervous of the wire breaking so I'm not overly rough on it. But I'd say in my experience regular old laces can be made much tighter right off the hop. But in reading the above posts it seems maybe other factors are causing your discomfort more than just lace tightness.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

Thanks - I get that there are other factors involved. Getting custom Orthotics is not an issue (other than time) as they are covered under my insurance. That said, I do wonder how comfortable a fit would be if I did put in the customs - my wife has some and she says fit is often too tight.

I am not worried too much about over ratcheting the shoe - maybe I should be though.

I ordered a pair to test - $145 via Amazon the Adidas EQT. Seemed to have decent write up and appear to fit between the hard and softer shoe. I can easily return them if the fit is not to my liking.

The other thing about the BOA was/is the fit around the back of the shoe - where one does not get too much help from ordinary laces. Any benefit in your opinion?

> @RickKimbrell said:

> Fortunately, I do not suffer from plantar fasciitis but know a couple of people who do. They have had pretty good luck with getting custom inserts for their shoes. One of them spent a bloody fortune at a store here in Houston but swears by it. The other used a place he found online who sent him a box looking deal that you step into to get an impression of your feet. Sent that back and they sent him the inserts. Supposedly much cheaper but still think they were couple hundred dollars. From what I am told, this fixed both their problems. You might look into doing something like that. I understand that crap can be very painful.

Thanks Rick - custom orthotics is not an issue - other then time to obtain them - my insurance covers this. Maybe it's time I took advantage.

I can say that I wore the heels out of my adidas pwrboost boas or whatever there called, due to never getting them tight enough (may entirely be my fault) causing my heel to lift. But guys do say when the knob is mounted on the back and not on the tongue like mine are, that they tighten up better. They are convienient as heck though.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

Thanks - I have 2 different colors from super feet and I have something my wife picked up (and I have not used yet) from the Dr Scholl's display found in a lot of drug stores and Target, etc. Failing those things I will break down and have customs made from my podiatrist. I had just hoped that between inserts and the lacing system securing the shoe better (maybe) that I would get relief.

I did wear both a compression sock and compressions sleeve (I guess I would call it), and after today's round so far so good, no major flaring up.

> @jaw2k9 said:

> > @RickKimbrell said:

> > Fortunately, I do not suffer from plantar fasciitis but know a couple of people who do. They have had pretty good luck with getting custom inserts for their shoes. One of them spent a bloody fortune at a store here in Houston but swears by it. The other used a place he found online who sent him a box looking deal that you step into to get an impression of your feet. Sent that back and they sent him the inserts. Supposedly much cheaper but still think they were couple hundred dollars. From what I am told, this fixed both their problems. You might look into doing something like that. I understand that crap can be very painful.

>

> Thanks Rick - custom orthotics is not an issue - other then time to obtain them - my insurance covers this. Maybe it's time I took advantage.

Good luck. From all I have heard that is one painful experience to have to go thru. knocking on wood (my head)

> @cfmgolf said:

> I can't comment on whether it would help your PF, but they do stay nice and snug throughout the round. I have had both FJ and Adidas. I like the FJ a little better due to the crank being in the heel vs. on the side of the Adidas. Both control the fit just as well, just a little personal preference on turning / tightening. I do have a friend with your issue and he uses a compression fit sock which he says helps greatly.

I don’t have any comment on the PF issue, I just want to disagree with the notion that they stay snug through the round. I’ve owned 2 pairs of shoes (FJ) with the BOA system and with both pairs I was constantly having to tighten them through the course of the round. This was quite a number of years ago, so maybe they have gotten better, but my past experience with them has completely turned me off to them.

I’ve worn the boa system for years now and still fought PF. I don’t think it made any difference, whatsoever.

Go to Target and buy yourself a Futuro PF Night Support. $30 and worth every penny. It was a miracle for me; from the first night with it, I could take those first steps of the day without feeling like my foot was being torn apart. Every once in awhile, I get the first signs that it’s coming back and I slap the thing on for a few nights and it settles right down.

Really worth trying.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Update. I decided to keep the shoes. Also bought more compression socks. Played Yesterday, pain free - first time in a long time. Now, I get issues from time to time waking up - and I have worn so many different braces over the years - boots, compression things, etc. Now I just wear a big ace bandage like single band (for sleep). But 18 holes pain free in the foot/feet - what a great feeling!

Was it the shoes or socks or a medium hardness shoe - or just dumb luck - I have no idea. It's only been one wearing, but so far so good. I am eager to see how things unfold going forward. I did make adjustments over the course of the round - so that may have helped, I can't recall retying my shoes during a round.