Tough question

Tiger vs. Tripp
If Tiger didn't get that "lucky bounce" on the 17th at Sawgrass and Tripp won would Tiger still be this good? Not counting the other two which could provide motivation and lets block out the 3 juniors prior. IMO not sure.

Haven't played in over 2 years.
Still dealing with bladder cancer.I'm in the hands of the VA now.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

huh? Obviously Tiger would still be this good. Just because some other guy beat him in a competition does not mean he immediatly give up golf or just automatically become your average Journeyman Pro.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

From the beginning of his career I have seen Tiger get tons of lucky bounces. Just the same I know these do not define Tiger.

I do not think that win over Trip defined Tiger but I do wonder if it defined Trip?

I mean did he just look at Tiger and say what the hey I am never going to be as good as this guy is, then quit trying?

That to me is the interesting question.

I think Tiger would be just as good today, but it is quite possible it could've taken a little longer to get to his current game. The mental side of the game is extremely important, and the confidence we all get from a few lucky bounces makes a difference. A few bad bounces early on in tough situations could've made Tiger think twice about trying some of the unbelievable shots he's pulled off under extreme pressure. When things go your way often enough you are more willing to try something unorthadox.

This is a bit ridiculous. Let's go with "If Tiger lost to Trip maybe that would've driven him to be better than he is today." Tiger would be different alright. He'd have a different way of going about all the victories, perhaps even being responsible for the advent of full contact golf and tackling competitors as they make their backswings (inspired by a commercial). He'd become the Ivan Drago of golf, a robotic killing machine on the course. He wins every event and after flying his personal space shuttle back to his home in Florida he grabs his silver medal from that US Am and cries until he departs for his next event, which is the next week because he would play as often Dana Quigley plays on the Senior Tour. Hey, he'd have to be out there every week to prove that his loss to Trip Kuehne was such a fluke. Yeah, things would be different alright.

Loo

[quote name='Chester Cheetah' post='798423' date='Nov 21 2007, 06:38 PM']If it's and buts and t**** and nuts your aunt would be your uncle.[/quote]

[quote name='uncc18' post='798446' date='Nov 21 2007, 06:56 PM'][quote name='Chester Cheetah' post='798423' date='Nov 21 2007, 07:38 PM']If it's and buts and t**** and nuts your aunt would be your uncle.[/quote]

Yeah...um...I don't think that came out right.
[/quote]

Dandy Don Meredith used to say " If if's and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry xmas"

Not sure about the aunt and uncle thing.

[quote name='kenk7us2002' post='798392' date='Nov 21 2007, 07:01 PM']From the beginning of his career I have seen Tiger get tons of lucky bounces. Just the same I know these do not define Tiger.[/quote]
Actually, they all get lucky bounces, some more than others, but the nature of luck is that it will spread out fairly evenly over a given sample lot--in this case tour pros. I'm sure there is some statistical model that shows this, but I hated statistics and have blotted all traces of it since college.

If Tiger does [i]appear[/i] to get more luckier bounces than anyone else, it's probably due to the fact that he's more visible than anyone else. More people are paying attention to him, more cameras are on him, thus more people are seeing more shots of his, good, bad, or lucky.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

Not really a tough question. The notion that Tiger is who he is because of one lucky bounce is fatuous.

He is where he is in golf because he started with a lot of talent and works incredibly hard to get the most out of it. The plus factor that Tiger seems to have over the rest of the incredibly talented hard-working guys he competes against is that he is just plain mentally tougher than anyone else playing. Lucky bounces happen to everyone at some point, but you can't fashion a career like Tiger's out of just lucky bounces.

I'm sure Tiger will be disappointed to know that his work ethic and practice was worthless and that his desire to win had nothing to do with it.

It's all about lucky bounces.

I know everyone's out shopping, but it's not THAT slow of a news day.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Here is something I found on TW that I thought everyone would enjoy!
[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZTULGGv116w"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZTULGGv116w[/url]

Callaway Epic Speed 9.0* Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Epic 15* Hazurdus 65
Callaway Epic 18* Hazurdus 65
Takomo 101t 4-pw Steelfiber fc90cw 
Bridgestone J15 56* Project x PXI 5.0
Scotty Cameron Squareback 34"

Unbelievable to even consider that if Tripp would have won that match that Tiger wouldn't be as good. If anything, like someone else said, it would have probably made him better and even more determined. A statement that is made on TV that aggrivates me sometimes is when the announcers say noone hates making bogeys more than Tiger. They all hate making bogeys out there, but it really is probably the truth. Messing up or losing drives the guy more than anything else I believe.

Listen for the people who busted my chops over the way the post was worded that's fine but we've all had lucky bounces either in club tournaments or whatever and you're mind is different the next day you play.Granted Tiger was close to going to Q school in '96 until he won vegas and wil never have to go to q school but that bounce on 17 that day could have changed his thought process in vegas. Don't forget the mind is very powerful, just ask the club HO'S! ;)

Haven't played in over 2 years.
Still dealing with bladder cancer.I'm in the hands of the VA now.

Tiger would still be Tiger. Who knows how many he could have won, if not for a bounce here or a splash there - and not justs for him, but for those that have beaten him.

Hey Stryper, according to your "my rig", don't you have 15 clubs in your Callaway stand bag?? I am not the club police, but I play one of TV!!

Teetoogrn

[quote name='tm12' post='809121' date='Dec 1 2007, 04:53 PM']Listen for the people who busted my chops over the way the post was worded that's fine but we've all had lucky bounces either in club tournaments or whatever and you're mind is different the next day you play.Granted Tiger was close to going to Q school in '96 until he won vegas and wil never have to go to q school but that bounce on 17 that day could have changed his thought process in vegas. Don't forget the mind is very powerful, just ask the club HO'S! :drinks:[/quote]

you do realize that he played trip in 1994 right? i am sure that bounce was the last thing in his mind when he was winning the vegas tournament in 1996.

As far as q school goes, vegas was his 5th tourney as a pro. He was hardly close to going to q school at that point. if it would have been his last of the year than you might have a point, but it wasnt.

Tiger averaged $34699.00 in the 8 tournaments that he didnt win that year. IF he didnt play anymore than that would give him a total of $277594.00 for the year and 140th on the money list. Now say he didnt win the other 2 events and just made his average. that would put his total for the year at $346992.00 and he would be at the 115th spot which would easily get him his card. But he did win 2 events and finished 32nd.

[url="http://www.pgatour.com/players/00/87/93/results/1996.html"]http://www.pgatour.com/players/00/87/93/results/1996.html[/url]

Since it doesnt seem like you are to familar with who Tiger is this should help

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_woods"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_woods[/url]