Are We Becoming A Bit Too Judgmental?

Sean2

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1399064592' post='9220243']
Hey Richard!

Nice post. :-)

I didn't want to quote the entire thing, but well said. Thanks for the comment. Hope you are feeling better and on the mend. :-)
[/quote]Thank You Sean, though it's the meds, lol. Seriously, sorry for the length, Rock Chalk had a point, it's just that if I have strong feelings about something, then you combine the meds, and while I know exactly what I'm saying, and would change nothing from that stand point, I do get a tad, well, as Chalk said, verbose ;)

Hell, I'll just avoid the forum from the time that I get them thru the third hour, lol, cuz after that, I sorta die for a few hours until the next dose.

Either that or just hang out in the equipment section, lol. That's sort of a benign area and I don't get my BP worked up over there ;)

Have a great week-end :)

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1396058895' post='8972505']
Just wanted to put this out to all our fine members, but I was wondering if we are getting a bit too judgmental?

There is obviously nothing wrong with a good, spirited discussion, but when it degenerates to name calling, etc., concerning, but not limited to, such topics as:

1. The kinds of clubs people play,
2. Announcers,
3. PGA professionals,
4. Tee boxes people play,
5. Swing theory,
6. Pace of play.

...a good thread can be quickly derailed.

What do you all think? Are we becoming a bit too judgmental? Or, does it not really matter one way or the other. :-)
[/quote]

Personally, I think it's in the deck that life deals you. People come from different backgrounds and have different interpretations of life's lessons and express themselves with different words. It ain't easy to walk with crowds and keep your virtue, or talk with kings nor lose the common touch, but that's the way the cards fall and you need to deal with it.

Shambles

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1399067751' post='9220501'][quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1399064592' post='9220243']
Hey Richard!

Nice post. :-)

I didn't want to quote the entire thing, but well said. Thanks for the comment. Hope you are feeling better and on the mend. :-)
[/quote]Thank You Sean, though it's the meds, lol. Seriously, sorry for the length, Rock Chalk had a point, it;s just that if I have strong feelings about something, then you combine the meds, and while I know exactly what I'm saying, and would change nothing from that stand point, I do get a tad, well, as Chalk said, verbose ;)

Hell, I'll just avoid the forum from the time that I get them thru the third hour, lol, cuz after that, I sorta die for a few hours until the next dose.

Either that or just hang out in the equipment section, lol. That's sort of a benign area and I don't get my BP worked up over there ;)

Have a great week-end :)

My Best,
Richard[/quote]

I never intended for you to censor yourself. Post on, brother.

Richard - not quoting your post for sake of not scrolling. I think your observations are spot on! And you don't have to apologize for the mega-rant. This is a big subject to be discussing, and I think many of us are holding back and keeping to ourselves a lot of hurt, anger, frustration and bitterness because of the cowardly actions of a few "trolls". So the fact that you found the right time and place to let those things out, amongst those who are feeling the same things is ok. :) (that and I'm also guilty of the novella length post myself)

I guess my feelings on the topic are stronger than they should be, but as a father of 3 young boys, I am also more aware of the impact. I see on the news almost daily of a teenager who goes postal on his or her school... Or commits suicide. And see what is common in all of those cases- they perps are all victims of bullying and being "picked on". I do everything I possibly can to make sure my kids don't become a statistic- and institute a zero tolerance mentality about bullying. I don't want them to ever be the kid that was pushed too far from a bully, not do I want them to be the bully that pushes too far...and certainly do not want them to be the innocent victim- they are learning that to not be part of the problem, they have to be part of the solution- so I teach them to stick up for the victim. Granted I can't be with them 24/7, but I know that I'm doing my best to instill the desire to do the right thing.

One common phrase I hear all the time, and it's often repeated in threads about morals and etiquette on the course by those who in a thread about equipment are being jagoffs toward another, is: "golf is a gentleman's game". I'm sorry, but putting someone down, or putting down what someone owns, drives, lives in, or cares about is NOT something a true gentleman would do :)

Again, good points, Richard. You are OK in my book (even if you are a Muzuno fan ;) ) :sarcasm:

Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1399052280' post='9218979']

Great thread, exceptional posts, and while I've only looked at the ones on this page, I have no doubt that there's Platinum on every page.

Stay well my Friends,
Richard

[/quote]

LOL

It's just too easy to have misunderstandings based on typed text.

Remember how we met? A good member made a statement that I took the wrong way, and I attacked him for it. You let me know it was inappropriate, and you were 100% correct, but being still mad, I politely said F-you. :D I'm proud that all three of us became great friends as we quickly figured out what happened. I wish everybody could be that lucky. I'm sure face to face, everybody here would have a great time together...

Cheers!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Oh. Im in the wrong thread. I thought this was the Axis1 contest.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Shambles' timestamp='1399070043' post='9220669']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1396058895' post='8972505']
Just wanted to put this out to all our fine members, but I was wondering if we are getting a bit too judgmental?

There is obviously nothing wrong with a good, spirited discussion, but when it degenerates to name calling, etc., concerning, but not limited to, such topics as:

1. The kinds of clubs people play,
2. Announcers,
3. PGA professionals,
4. Tee boxes people play,
5. Swing theory,
6. Pace of play.

...a good thread can be quickly derailed.

What do you all think? Are we becoming a bit too judgmental? Or, does it not really matter one way or the other. :-)
[/quote]

Personally, I think it's in the deck that life deals you. People come from different backgrounds and have different interpretations of life's lessons and express themselves with different words. It ain't easy to walk with crowds and keep your virtue, or talk with kings nor lose the common touch, but that's the way the cards fall and you need to deal with it.

Shambles
[/quote]

Shambles, sometimes the deck needs to be reshuffled. :-)

[quote name='jwrogers' timestamp='1399151594' post='9225431']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1399139231' post='9224653']
[quote name='jwrogers' timestamp='1399075088' post='9221083']
I hate this thread.
[/quote]

Well said JW. :-)
[/quote]

I'm just glad my sarcasm didn't kill the thread. I was nervous there when nobody else replied for a while.
[/quote]

I knew you were just having some fun. :-)

[quote name='kevcarter' timestamp='1399127926' post='9223851']
[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1399052280' post='9218979']

Great thread, exceptional posts, and while I've only looked at the ones on this page, I have no doubt that there's Platinum on every page.

Stay well my Friends,
Richard

[/quote]

LOL

It's just too easy to have misunderstandings based on typed text.

Remember how we met? A good member made a statement that I took the wrong way, and I attacked him for it. You let me know it was inappropriate, and you were 100% correct, but being still mad, I politely said F-you. :D I'm proud that all three of us became great friends as we quickly figured out what happened. I wish everybody could be that lucky. I'm sure face to face, everybody here would have a great time together...

Cheers!

Kevin
[/quote]Absolutely!!

And I still feel badly, no matter what you say, lol :)

At first I didn't even look at who posted it or their post count, and before I hit "post" I saw your name and ya had like 20,000+ posts, LMAO, I looked at my 40 something posts, and figured, "ah hell, it's been a fun couple of weeks, " LMAO

And to the third member of our encounter, hang tough Bro, don't walk away, you're in our thoughts!!

Have a nice evening Bro, and again, my apologies :)

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1399159174' post='9226025']
Absolutely!!

And I still feel badly, no matter what you say, lol :)

At first I didn't even look at who posted it or their post count, and before I hit "post" I saw your name and ya had like 20,000+ posts, LMAO, I looked at my 40 something posts, and figured, "ah hell, it's been a fun couple of weeks, " LMAO

And to the third member of our encounter, hang tough Bro, don't walk away, you're in our thoughts!!

Have a nice evening Bro, and again, my apologies :)

My Best,
Richard
[/quote]

LOL

Please don't apologize for being right. I needed a kick in the butt! :-)

You have a great night as well Richard. Hope you are feeling well this weekend...

Hang tough Brian, you are one of the good guys!!!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='Shambles' timestamp='1399070043' post='9220669']

Personally, I think it's in the deck that life deals you

Shambles
[/quote] I don't like the deck, I get a new one-

I'm not getting into here, however I've had a few that as Sean said, they just needed reshuffled, though I've had a few really sh*tty decks, and I tossed em, and got a new deck-

If reshuffling doesn't work, forget em & toss em-

I hope all's well with you Shambles, it's great to see ya :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

I like this quote from John Walter Wayland:

The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self control is equal to all emergencies; who does not make the poor man conscious of his poverty, the obscure man of his obscurity, or any man of his inferiority or deformity; who is himself humbled if necessity compels him to humble another; who does not flatter wealth, cringe before power, or boast of his own possessions or achievements; who speaks with frankness but always with sincerity and sympathy; whose deed follows his word; who thinks of the rights and feelings of others rather than his own; and who appears well in any company, a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue safe.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1399160925' post='9226197'][quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1399160294' post='9226139']
There is no truer gentleman than Ron Burgandy.
[/quote]

I haven't had the pleasure.[/quote]

From the legends that have been told about him, he has many leather bound books, and his apartment smells of rich mahogany.

[quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1399161206' post='9226229']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1399160925' post='9226197'][quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1399160294' post='9226139']
There is no truer gentleman than Ron Burgandy.
[/quote]

I haven't had the pleasure.[/quote]

From the legends that have been told about him, he has many leather bound books, and his apartment smells of rich mahogany.
[/quote]

I just heard he is a newscaster. :-)

I'll be the first to admit that I can be a real a-hole both online and in person. It's not something I'm necessarily proud of, but it's not something I am going to necessarily apologize for. I can be pretty blunt. It's just who I am. If it's offensive, it's offensive. But it isn't really intentional most of the time.

I'm also one that will stand up for what I believe in, so that's probably where I get off line the most with conversations/debates.

So, if I've pissed you off, know that it likely wasn't intentional. With VERY few exceptions, that's the case. I'd be happy to buy the first round to bury the hatchet, too.

[quote name='minitour' timestamp='1399172215' post='9227317']
I'll be the first to admit that I can be a real a-hole both online and in person. It's not something I'm necessarily proud of, but it's not something I am going to necessarily apologize for. I can be pretty blunt. It's just who I am. If it's offensive, it's offensive. But it isn't really intentional most of the time.

I'm also one that will stand up for what I believe in, so that's probably where I get off line the most with conversations/debates.

So, if I've pissed you off, know that it likely wasn't intentional. With VERY few exceptions, that's the case. I'd be happy to buy the first round to bury the hatchet, too.
[/quote]

I've known many people like you. Nice people who come off
a little terse or blunt at first. Some people, that's just their
personality and it's no big deal.

But some people, who also speak in a blunt manner, do
so because they have become very jaded, cynical, and
generally have a pre-disposed poor opinion of people.

When I encounter people like that I check the pity box
and move on.

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1399178634' post='9227779']
generally have a pre-disposed poor opinion of people in
general.

[/quote]

I won't say I'm not guarded and slow to lower that wall (two ex wives will do that to you), but I do tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, probably more than I should (see: two ex wives) once I get to know you. :D

[quote name='minitour' timestamp='1399178780' post='9227785']
[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1399178634' post='9227779']
generally have a pre-disposed poor opinion of people in
general.

[/quote]

I won't say I'm not guarded and slow to lower that wall (two ex wives will do that to you), but I do tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, probably more than I should (see: two ex wives) once I get to know you. :D
[/quote]

I also have 2 ex-wives but thankfully, I've been blissfully
married to my 3rd for 17 years. I am also not her 1st
husband either.

We talked about many things during our courtship. Yes
there were walls that had to come down but underneath
the walls there was something we both had not lost and
that was hope.

So at the age of 44 we started our lives over again, both
innocent of what had gone on before. We have been 2
peas in a pod since; living a fun and peaceful life.

Our motto is "miracles happen to those that believe in
them'. Had we become bitter and jaded "we" never
would have happened. Does that sound childish? To
some. To us it is "child-like". Big difference.

There is always hope. Cheers!

I'm not sure we as a whole are too judgemental. I think there is a lot of passionate people here(myself included) who truely believe in their hearts and minds that they are correct in their opinions and beliefs. When someone disagrees they are attacking that persons belief system and they get aggressive and the war begins. All in all it's pretty childish behavior but none of us are completely immune to it 100% of the time. It's all a part of growing up(which all you have to do is ask my wife and she will tell you I'm still working on that)! As far as threads getting out of control I would say some of it is delivery and lack of being open minded to others opinions. Another problem is many posts are presented as "fact" when they are nothing more than that persons "opinion"!
As many have said, in person most if not all of this goes away and I think in general most people here would get along with one another face to face. It's not a perfect world so were not all going to like each other be it in person or behind a keyboard but a little civility is always nice. We all do like/love the game of golf right so we've got that going for us :)

[quote name='Parker0065' timestamp='1399183670' post='9227997']
I'm not sure we as a whole are too judgemental. I think there is a lot of passionate people here(myself included) who truely believe in their hearts and minds that they are correct in their opinions and beliefs. When someone disagrees they are attacking that persons belief system and they get aggressive and the war begins. All in all it's pretty childish behavior but none of us are completely immune to it 100% of the time. It's all a part of growing up(which all you have to do is ask my wife and she will tell you I'm still working on that)! As far as threads getting out of control I would say some of it is delivery and lack of being open minded to others opinions. Another problem is many posts are presented as "fact" when they are nothing more than that persons "opinion"!
[/quote]Couldnt agree more!

And upon giving MY opinion, based on MY 46 years of playing & MY experiences, I made a statement that I haven't seen following etiquette to add to the time it it takes one to play a round of golf. I haven't seen it. Now I understand that my playing partners may be very different from yours, Sean's or the member who responded to my post, and I tried to allow for that in my response, so as to prevent THIS type of response. However if you were to go to this thread, this individual, and it's not even his thread, LMFAO x 2, responds as though to dissagree with him is to attack his loved ones and home., LMAO

THIS, is a vintage forum response that leads to an ugly 2-3 post response and then mod insertion, lol.

And what's funny and caused the extra LMFAO off is that I said this very statement to a grad school class who, as bright individuals tend to do(and the vast majority, like 85-90%, are brighter than I, though they can't out think me, LMAO :) ), mistake opinion and TONE of certainty for fact, lol.

Hey, as I responded to this post, ya never know when you're gonna learn something, even on a golf forum, LMAO.

Let it go People!

IT'S A GOLF FORUM-

It's not an attack on loved ones, religious beliefs or your home-

IT'S A GOLF FORUM :)

And don't ever forget-

If ya start off false, you can't get to truth, LMAO

Peace :)

All The Best,
Richard

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1399181140' post='9227899']
Our motto is "miracles happen to those that believe in
them'. Had we become bitter and jaded "we" never
would have happened. Does that sound childish? To
some. To us it is "child-like". Big difference.

There is always hope. Cheers!
[/quote]First Conrad, Cheers :)

You are in the handful of the classiest individuals that I have encountered on WRX.

There are a lot of Great Guys out there, however there are far fewer Gentlemen.

You are-

Regarding miracles, I couldn't agree more. I equate miracles to luck, and I don't care if you're a sports team, a business, or an individual, miracles do not occur for the non-believers, and sh*tty teams, companies and individuals rarely get "lucky."

As my college position coach said "luck is nothing more than the intersection point of preparation and performance."

I would include miracles in that definition.

Ya gotta show up-

Ya gotta believe-

And ya gotta give it all that ya got-

You and your lovely wife obviously have!

Well Played Bro!!

My best wishes and thoughts that the next chapters of your lives are as bright as the ones just finished :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

I believe that following proper etiquette can improve the speed of play and make the game more enjoyable for everyone.

Ex: a slow group letting a faster group to play through. 1-speeds up play for faster group. 2 - the slower group, now without the faster group pushing them, and hitting in to them can relax a bit, and make better shots (shots in the fairway also make the game faster than looking through the weeds for the ball".

I also believe that Sean's quote on what a gentleman is should be stickied multiple places here and read as part of account creation.

Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

[quote name='minitour' timestamp='1399172215' post='9227317']

[/quote]

I can be blunt too, I just do it diplomatically. :-)

And, I stand up for what I believe in too. However, I am willing to listen to opposing view points, because I may be wrong. On the other hand, if I know I am correct I am not going to waste my time trying to convince someone otherwise if he refuses to listen to reason. There is no point.

On another note, I think that rudeness is a weak person's imitation of strength.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1399238984' post='9230677']
I think that rudeness is a weak person's imitation of strength.
[/quote]Dude, this is a great!!

Where do you come up with this sh*t?

I mean, you sit in front of your screen and think of this stuff, while I sit in my recliner, pass out, and the damn phone falls off of me and slides down between the pillows of the recliner ;)

Seriously, I know you've a got me by a few years, though it's like you're a combo of Ghandi, Budha and Desmond, and you can swing a club!!

MB's to boot!!

Bro, I don't even know your political beliefs, and I'd vote for ya just to listen to you!!

You're rubbing off on me :)

Not the ways with verse, the temperament-

Hell, I quote you in professional meetings, lol

Carry on :)

My Best,
Richard