Srixon 785 7/8/9 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
 Cleveland 46,52 58 RTX3 Steelfiber 125 X-cw
Odyssey Mc2 Oworks
Srixon Zstar gloves, and Zstar XV Ball

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George Lucas II must be an old school surveyor, laser transit aside, to do hand drawn hole layouts. Nice touch adding your own yardages. So who was the most famous person you looped for?

My very first day on the job was a memorable one. I caddied for a gentleman who is now very famous and one that was already a star. Some of you guys might know who "tater salad" is but i don't think anyone did in 2000. His playing parnet was none other than Jeff Foxworthy who is a golf nut. They both came stagering out at 7 in the morning with dark glasses on and neither had been to sleep yet. They apparently had been on some kinda bender the night before and they we hilarious. The best part of the day was when JEff hit it short on 14. The pin was on the left side and the green is so severve you can chip it 5 feet right of the hole and end up almost all the way off the right side if you dont get it over the ridge. It took him 5 trys just to get it on the green, and three times he had to hit it from farther away than when he started :blink:

He finally got up top and make a 12 foot snake to save nine.

Television does no justice to the undulation at Augusta. Nicklaus was always telling amatuers to pace themselves off of the first tee because #1 is so downhill and then back up that you may not catch your breath in time to hit your shot if you go scooting off the tee box.

Cheers

Scott

lol what a first day! You must watch the masters in a whole different eye then us knowing the course so well. Did you get any playing privileges there at all or did they not allow any staff to play?

That is good stuff.

I am just a regular guy, but 3 years ago I got to play Augusta National. There is a very well known man in my state that is a long time member. A good friend of mine is quite wealthy and is a big contributor to that member's business interest. The member invited my friend to play and said to round up two other guys. My friends brother and I were the other guys. All plans were set and we flew down in a private jet, played, ate in the clubhouse, and went home that same day. I didn't ever really believe it would happen until we turned off the street onto Magnolia Lane. My buddy and his brother and I just looked at each other and all thought 'wow!'

We actually played it twice that day (February 23, 2003). I shot 85 & 82. I made two birdies. On #18 during the first round I chipped in and then during the second round I made a curling putt to birdie #16. To say it was awesome would be an understantment.

The caddies were wonderful and a real hoot. I still remember their names and have one of their email addresses. Everyone there to a man (employee, member, or guest) treated everyone else with the utmost respect and honor. My caddie was terrific. He was always there for me, but during the second round we were on a tee and I needed my driver. My caddie was over talking to another caddie and they were writing some things down. I walked over and said, "Hand me my driver please." He was apologetic that he wasn't Johnny-on-the-spot and seemed like he was sort of hiding something. As we walked down the fairway I said to him quietly, "Are you guys betting on us?" He looked sort of sheepishly back at me and said, "Yea." I asked him how they knew how to do that and he said they watched us on the driving range. I had not hit well as I was very nervous but got much calmer when we teed off and played better than my practice may have shown. I asked him if I had done well for him so far and he said, "Oh yes, those guys are mad now and you've won me some money."

Of all the great memories I have from that day that is one of the top 10.

The member who took us said that the caddies were paid by the club and there was no need to tip them. In fact, it wasn't allowed. However, my caddie let it subtley be known that if I wanted to tip him, I could but it would have to be done in secret. I had fully planned to tip my caddie anyway, weeks before we went so I had plenty of cash with me. I think I gave him $100, but did it off to the side after the second round.

I don't want to post his name, or even his nickname, in case by some miracle someone at Augusta read this and got him in trouble. When we got home I even sent the caddie a hand written thank you card for making my day so special and so memorable.

I also talked to my friends about doing something for our host, but as one of them said, "What do you give a guy who is a member at Augusta National?" I ended up writting him a nice letter and included a picture of us that was taken on the course.

One thing that was said earlier was about the undulations on the greens. Nothing can describe them. #5 and #14 stick out in my mind....well....#13 too as being unbelievable. If a person has only seen Augusta on TV they can't imagine how hilly the course is and how wavy the greens are (except #12...which I triple bogied & then parred).

Opus MH, I just sent you a private message with the names of all our caddies.

You get one day in late may after they close for the summer. we played May 21 usually the course closes the week of the 15th until oct. 15. The fairways are all rye grass so they burn out pretty quickly in the late spring.

I'd rather play a burnt out Augusta than no Augusta at all!!!! Great stories guys, all the more reason for me to just try and get into a workforce where I'll get to know a member.

[sign here]

Nice pix, Heaven on Earth!

If anyone has an opening PLEASE let me know, I could be there in less than 12 hrs....... or less ;)

EC

I was lucky enough to walk the course on a monday PR in '99. We were @ #8 green a group walked by to 9 T a guy looked at us and said "CHEESE". We thought whos this rich @$$ guy playing w pros wanting his pix taken? We did! :blink: Didn't know who he was, anyway and someone told us later that it was Payne S. (wasn't wearing a hat or knickers.)

again, if anyone has an opening PLEASE let me know, I could be there in less than 12 hrs....... :stop:

Wonderful read in this thread, made me smile on a night when I just can't fall asleep. It's 1:53 am EST time and I have tossing for hours, now I can at least day dream a little Augusta National.

Thanks,

Joe

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 55 Stiff
Wood: Ping G425 5 & 7 Wood  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 75 Stiff

Hybrid: Ping 425 4i Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 54 and 58 Wilson Tour Forged 56 and 60
Putter: LAB Directed Force 2.1 (33-69)//Seemore Custom "The Big Fluffy"
Bag: Vessel Player III

A freind from a local shop gave me a great reference as his son had been there off and on for a few years while he was full time caddying on the nationwide tour. It was a great break for me i was a struggling assistant for a club and decided i wanted to go play in college so i took the 8 month job at Augusta and the rest is history. I did not want to lose my amatuer status so instead of continuing on the level one i got to loop at oner of the most brilliant peices of property in the world.

There is nothing more beuatiful then a 715 tee time going off of #10 in the shadows and peaking over the hill on amen corner going down the 11th fairway. It is absolutly stunning.

I tihnk 5 and 14 are two of the most underated holes out there, and 12 is possibly one of trhe most overratted (unless the wind is gale force :blink:)

Those greens are so severe. The green that gave me the most trouble was top right on 17 from below the hole rays creek is off to the right andthe ball break up the hill. Its mind boggleing and quite a few caddies have been chewed on a bit after miss reading that hole.

Oh just stop!! I can't take it anymore, no I'm just kidding this is the best post I think I have ever read! keep to comming

It's funny that this thread started up and I'm sitting here reading it. This seems, for me, to be the week of Augusta National encounters.

1. The boyfriend of one of my wife's friends is going to play Augusta in 2 weeks. Still haven't figured out how he got on though.

2. We had a guy in our office the other day and as I'm sitting here talking to him, he whips out pictures of him playing Augusta, like they were pictures of his kids or something. He was so proud. Obviously very well connected, but still it doesn't make me any less jealous.

3. This thread pops up.

I've always had a huge spot in my heart for Augusta (I know I'm not alone in that one). The first Masters I attended was 2003 and I was so awestruck with the place that I actually wrote the club a letter offering my assistance with anything they might need in the future. They turned me down, but I was impressed that I even got a response - an insanely polite and gracious response at that.

All you guys who have played that course, and especially opus_mh, better know how lucky you are. :-) Thanks for making this long week significantly more enjoyable by sharing your experiences.

I don't have any of my pictures on this PC, but if anyone wants I'll try to post some pictures of me tomorrow. One of my favorites is of me crossing the Hogan Bridge on my way over to #12. I was walking with my caddie (in the white and green overalls) and I was sort of looking back. My friend took the picture. One of the biggest disappointments was that we weren't able to hire a professional photographer to follow us around and just take pictures the entire time.

My mother-in-law took a copy of that picture, both my scorecards, a napkin with the Augusta logo , a par-3 course score card with the logo, and a golf ball with the Augusta logo and had it made into a shadow box for me as a Christmas present 2 years ago. They made a little bronze plaque that says Augusta Nation, my name, and the date. It really is a nice momento and it hangs on the wall of my living room. Who says mother-in-laws are all bad. If a fire broke out in my house and I could only save one thing other than my wife and son then that would be the thing. Also, one of the scorecards is signed by the member who took us and he is quite famous around my state. Just spending the day with him and having him sign your score card is sort of a big deal. I've had people come over and just be in awe of that shadow box.

Here is another pretty funny story. My friend Darrell is the one that got us on. He told me in late December that we were getting to go and that it would be sometime in late February. At first he lied to me and said we were getting to go on a trip to the TPC at Sawgrass with the member and were going to fly down in a private jet. Heck, I was excited about that. He spilled the beans within an hour that we were really going to Augusta. He said he was planning to keep me in the dark the entire time until we landed in Augusta but just couldn't do it. What do you do after being told you're going to Augusta in 2 months? I was afraid to tell anyone for fear of jinxing it, but then I couldn't hold it in. You can imagine the reactions were quite memorable. My favorite was this one from a friend named John. I remember it like yesterday.

Ring ring...

John: Hey, this is John. Are we playing this weekend?

Me: Yea, but listen to this news. Guess where I'm getting to play golf in just a few weeks.

John: The Alotian Club (a new ultra exclusive new course outside Little Rock,where we live)?

Me: No.

John: Pebble Beach?

John: You going to Bethpage?

John: Are you going back to Hawaii to the Prince Course?

John: Oh, I know....Sawgrass?

John: I don't know...uh...what state is it in?

Me: Georgia.

John: Georgia?...what is in Geor..............LONG SILENCE.........Oh my God no! You don't mean????

Me: Yep, I've been invited to play golf at Augusta National.

John: Long list of superlatives and explatives.....

Its still pretty neat to have someone see the bag tag on my golf bag and asked me, with reverence, if I got to go to the Masters. I tell them 'no' and that is the truth. I've never been to the tournament. I also get asked why I mark my balls by writing 'Feb 23' in green next to the logo on the side.

Seriously, I'm just a regular guy. If it can happen to me it can happen to anyone. If anyone is interested I will post a few pictures. Heck, I'm excited just reliving this.

I believe CSI (Caddie Services Inc) landed the contract to Augusta a few years back. One year when we were short at the club I caddied at, we had a guy that CSI flew in for two weeks from Augusta. He mentioned that the employees, which I believe included the caddies, got to play once a year, is this true and if so did you play the course?