2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

DJ Watts' Swing Principles/Philosophy

DJ Watts

[quote name='oikos1' timestamp='1398820674' post='9200155']Is there an example of any golfer over the age of 40 who hasn't had a golf related injury? I just don't think there is any method that is injury free...

This might be the one guy to listen to:

[url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2011-09/10-rules-from-gary-player"]http://www.golfdiges...rom-gary-player[/url]
[/quote]

There is and his name is Mike Austin who kept it going strong into his 80's although he almost does injure himself with recoil of The Flammer at 1:02 so you guys who use The Flammer, be careful with that move of letting go of The Flammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yDwImZnpIU

Agree with the Gary Player stuff, especially the Super Foods. I am big on the green smoothies and at 57 can smush any of you punks with my pinkie.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='thegooddoctor' timestamp='1398821624' post='9200317']
[quote name='Chief Cowpie' timestamp='1398820748' post='9200177']
You guys can say so many things like "I don't see it how it would eliminate joint damage" ... etc but its like trying to describe the taste of honey to someone whose never had sweets. You just have to take of the lid and taste. And once you see it, you will recognize your blindness.
[/quote]

what does this mean?? it's like a parent saying because I said so
[/quote]

No, its like you are poo pooing something you never tried or got to understand.

Of course the golf swing is more like an underarm throw so let's take a look at Ty Stoflet's mechanics.

Chief,

I agree with that...

mBnDtA.gif

Of course the golf swing is more like an underarm throw so let's take a look at Ty Stoflet's mechanics.

These action are not even close to the same. The action DJ shows is side arm not underarm. What does pitching have to do with golf swing other than to serve as an example of a different repetitive movement? Misdirection instead of answering the questions asked

True. The golf swing is a side arm throw.

[quote name='midweston' timestamp='1398821597' post='9200315']
Chief, did you join up just to be dj's cheerleader? Do you subscribe to his stuff? Im genuinely am curious. Being a former college pitcher, i think some people are just destined for injury, some arent. Both motions require torque, high speeds and unnatural motions. Really hard on the body, Especially when performed over and over.
[/quote]

I did audition to be DJ's cheerleader but I failed the jiggle test.

Actually I subscribe to The Tao and DJ's swing theories are in perfect accordance.

Kudos on being a farmer and so you would know the strains of both these choices on the body, especially tossing hay bales all day but there is such a thing as proper mechanical movement to minimize stress. Sure, some people may be more inclined to breakdown and encouraged by a poor diet or health regimen that doesn't allow the body to rejuvenate itself. BTW, am a big supporter of the farmers and Willie Nelson's Farm Aid and buying locally.

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1398859083' post='9202167']
This thread just gets better and better. Especially with Chief Cowpie in full force. Top 3 most entertaining posters ever!
[/quote]

While I gather you and others are mum to the swing wisdom, give the Super Foods a try. I have so many green smoothies that my poop is green and as well doesn't smell. I swear its true!!! Any one who doesn't believe, message me your address and I'll send you a sample.

[quote name='Chief Cowpie' timestamp='1398860107' post='9202229']
This thread just gets better and better. Especially with Chief Cowpie in full force. Top 3 most entertaining posters ever!
[/quote]

While I gather you and others are mum to the swing wisdom, give the Super Foods a try. I have so many green smoothies that my poop is green and as well doesn't smell. I swear its true!!! Any one who doesn't believe, message me your address and I'll send you a sample.
[/quote]

You have now reached the point where you believe your poop doesn't stink.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1398861366' post='9202307']
[quote name='Chief Cowpie' timestamp='1398860107' post='9202229']
[/quote]

[/quote]

You have now reached the point where you believe your poop doesn't stink.
[/quote]

Message me your address.

[quote name='Chief Cowpie' timestamp='1398873430' post='9203729']
Most poop, yes, a terrorist act but for my poop, an act of love and compassion.
[/quote]

So you promise hogan's secret is in it? It's green though. Gotta be a terror act.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

Chief is an original. I can't think of anyone I'd prefer to be [i]"cheerleading"[/i] me, if that's what he's doing. I think he just has the right perspective, golf for 99% of the people who play it is not about putting food on the table, it's about getting the most of out one's game and swing, and life. I'd love to meet him one day.

Rock on, Chief, rock on.

Best wishes,

DJ

[quote name='limcauco' timestamp='1398831703' post='9201437']
Dj, isn't more hip turn in downswing for those with higher hands on top? Less hip turn for lower hands on top?

If you have high hands and have less hip turn, would stress back too much bec back would be bunched up bec you can't turn hips immediately to get it out of the way bec hands needs to get lower first.

If you have low hands on top, you need to or you can get the hips out of the way immediately.

But I think not everybody can have low hands on top though. Only the lucky few, I guess.
[/quote]

Bump...

Legitimate question DJ. May not conform with what you've already said, but like what you would say on this.

Wow! Hstead was the only one who messaged me his address who didn't believe the poop color and not smelling. Its going out in the mail, soon, just had my morning coffee so it won't be long but it will be long.

Tembolo, my sh*t is the wrong sh*t for you if wan't Hogan. For anyone who wants Austin, do I have the sh*t.

[quote name='Chief Cowpie' timestamp='1398942958' post='9209681']
Wow! Hstead was the only one who messaged me his address who didn't believe the poop color and not smelling. Its going out in the mail, soon, just had my morning coffee so it won't be long but it will be long.

Tembolo, my sh*t is the wrong sh*t for you if wan't Hogan. For anyone who wants Austin, do I have the sh*t.
[/quote]

How old did you say you were?

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='limcauco' timestamp='1398913250' post='9208747']
Dj, isn't more hip turn in downswing for those with higher hands on top? Less hip turn for lower hands on top?

If you have high hands and have less hip turn, would stress back too much bec back would be bunched up bec you can't turn hips immediately to get it out of the way bec hands needs to get lower first.

If you have low hands on top, you need to or you can get the hips out of the way immediately.

But I think not everybody can have low hands on top though. Only the lucky few, I guess.
[/quote]

Bump...

Legitimate question DJ. May not conform with what you've already said, but like what you would say on this.
[/quote]

Until DJ gets to this, you have received no bounty of nature thinking you have an idyllic position having low hands on the top as you are the unlucky few. And being in a position that minimizes total body leverage, yes, there has to be less hip turn to get it working, imo, but am open to what DJ may say. Quite simply, there has to be an exactitude of perfect timing for such a swing and so as well, this movement can be seen quite often on tour for folks who have the time to practice it and as well, seen to lose it quite often even with the amount of practice put in. Likewise while DJ may have his hands high on the top, his takeaway on the inside diagonal is initially as low as any of you mad flatters.

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1398943245' post='9209691']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am older than the distant stars glowing in the night sky and younger than the morning glories blooming in the new day's light.

[quote name='Chief Cowpie' timestamp='1398944386' post='9209743']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am older than the distant stars glowing in the night sky and younger than the morning glories blooming in the new day's light.
[/quote]

So that equals 12?

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1398944806' post='9209759']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So that equals 12?
[/quote]

Yes, it equals all numbers.

[quote name='Chief Cowpie' timestamp='1398943996' post='9209723']
[quote name='limcauco' timestamp='1398913250' post='9208747']

[/quote]

Bump...

[/quote]

Until DJ gets to this, you have received no bounty of nature thinking you have an idyllic position having low hands on the top as you are the unlucky few. And being in a position that minimizes total body leverage, yes, there has to be less hip turn to get it working, imo, but am open to what DJ may say. Quite simply, there has to be an exactitude of perfect timing for such a swing and so as well, this movement can be seen quite often on tour for folks who have the time to practice it and as well, seen to lose it quite often even with the amount of practice put in. Likewise while DJ may have his hands high on the top, his takeaway on the inside diagonal is initially as low as any of you mad flatters.
[/quote]

Beg to disagree. The unlucky few can increase in numbers with correct elements taken in.

Low hands (with the correct element) needs less timing and practice. No need to turn the hips much in backswing to allow or compensate for the "wait" in transition (for hands and club to come down and in). Even Mr. Nicklaus admits he has to wait, eventually he got his hands lower.

But I like Mr. Austin's ideas very much, just don't like the high hands on top (not that there's something wrong with it, I just don't prefer it; I could and open to be convinced otherwise though).

Mr. Austin practically invented the whole left side swinging down like a gate, posting on right leg, wrists being cocked consciously early, right leg straightening, then weight to left leg, rut side swinging like a gate, and the full release from top. I like it. Did I say that already?? :)

Many uses his concepts but was never given credit for it.

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1398944806' post='9209759']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So that equals 12?
[/quote]
Lmao

[quote name='lv_2_hack' timestamp='1398822137' post='9200391']
DJ I have a serious question that I'd love for you to answer.

We all know you have a serious/extreme case of scoliosis. Why then do you seem to try and get people on here and on your site to swing similarly to you? Maybe you don't do that but I find it odd you have so many examples of YOUR swing when your spine is quite jacked up. You said yourself that if your spine wasn't so messed up, you would be swinging much differently.
[/quote]

This is a great question and one i hope dj answers.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1398956079' post='9210811']

We all know you have a serious/extreme case of scoliosis. Why then do you seem to try and get people on here and on your site to swing similarly to you? Maybe you don't do that but I find it odd you have so many examples of YOUR swing when your spine is quite jacked up. You said yourself that if your spine wasn't so messed up, you would be swinging much differently.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I've been one of DJ's critics, but I'll defend him on this one. He hasn't promoted that others swing similarly to him, but that others can follow his swing philosophy. Swings may end up looking different.

Whether you agree or disagree with the philosophy, or his analysis of swings of pro golfers, is something else entirely.

[quote name='HitEmTrue' timestamp='1398958988' post='9211223']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1398956079' post='9210811']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've been one of DJ's critics, but I'll defend him on this one. He hasn't promoted that others swing similarly to him, but that others can follow his swing philosophy. Swings may end up looking different.

Whether you agree or disagree with the philosophy, or his analysis of swings of pro golfers, is something else entirely.
[/quote]

If you check out his website, his golf swing is plastered all over his site. Also with some of his YouTube vids, he always seems to be making swings promoting his swing as the method he teaches. I think the question is still a valid question and I'd love his take on it.

Lots of Callaway Stuff

[quote name='lv_2_hack' timestamp='1398960649' post='9211417']
If you check out his website, his golf swing is plastered all over his site. Also with some of his YouTube vids, he always seems to be making swings promoting his swing as the method he teaches. I think the question is still a valid question and I'd love his take on it.
[/quote]

Fair enough...I shoulda kept my mouth shut. :)

Well basically the exact opposite of dj. No early extension flat 1 plane finish high takeaway that slots instead of extending even steeper . limited hip rotation and well short of parallel. Suspect this kid hits it very very straight

Cally Epic SZ, Cally 815 alpha FW, Cally alpha 815 3 and 4 hybrid, Apex Pro 5-Aw, callaway md2 54, callaway md2 58, Xenon Custom Copper Bullseye

[quote name='thegooddoctor' timestamp='1398983164' post='9213947']
Well basically the exact opposite of dj. No early extension flat 1 plane finish high takeaway that slots instead of extending even steeper . limited hip rotation and well short of parallel. Suspect this kid hits it very very straight
[/quote]

He hits it far too. Round of 16 at the US Am at cherry hills. Pretty dang good.