Ellington Ridge? Can somebody tell me about it?

crombienator

I just got the prices from the guy over Ellington Ridge wondering if the cost is worth it. I have never played. How is the course and the condition of the greens? How is the practice facility? A nice practice facility is important to me where I can practice all facets of the game. How are the rest of the facilities including the clubhouse? Thanks for your help in advance guys.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not familiar with ERCC, but they should offer a round if you are interested in joining. I think that's standard operating procedure for private clubs.

TaylorMade M3 8.5*, Grandura 510 X-Stiff
TEE CBX 119, ProjectX Evenflow blue X-Stiff
Titleist 913H 21*, Matrix Ozik White Tie X-Stiff
Srixon Z545 4-7 Z745 8-PW, KBS Tour 120 Stiff
Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
MannKrafted Straight 6 Demascus Blade - see avatar

[quote name='sjpaster' timestamp='1404839816' post='9660229']I'm not familiar with ERCC, but they should offer a round if you are interested in joining. I think that's standard operating procedure for private clubs.[/quote]
Cool man thanks. I had email contact with them on prices. And I just emailed them about an hour ago about touring/playing a round before working something out. Hopefully that's there policy.

If Augusta National asks you to join, you join sight unseen. Pretty much anywhere else, you need to test drive.

Let us know how everything works out!

TaylorMade M3 8.5*, Grandura 510 X-Stiff
TEE CBX 119, ProjectX Evenflow blue X-Stiff
Titleist 913H 21*, Matrix Ozik White Tie X-Stiff
Srixon Z545 4-7 Z745 8-PW, KBS Tour 120 Stiff
Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
MannKrafted Straight 6 Demascus Blade - see avatar

what are they asking for a memebership? I have never played it but heard it was a nice course.

Driver- Taylor Made SIM, Project X Hzrdus HC 6.0

3 wood- Mizuno STZ, Fujikura Motore X f3
Hybrid- Taylor Made SIM 2, Mitsubshi Tensei AV Blue 80
Irons- Mizuno JPX 921 SEL, KBS $ Taper

Wedges- Titleist SM8- 50, 54 & 58 
Putter- Bettinardi Innovai 6.0

[quote name='Smithj36' timestamp='1404845058' post='9660825']what are they asking for a memebership? I have never played it but heard it was a nice course.[/quote]

$3300/yr
$600/yr dining/pro shop
$400/yr carts

$4300 total a yr

What is the thought process behind charging those fees? Why don't they just charge a little more for the membership?

[quote name='TBD203' timestamp='1404846421' post='9660943']The dining/pro shop thing makes you feel the need to eat there/buy their stuff. Thus you're on site more often.[/quote]

If the place is real nice those numbers would work because then I can just tell my my wife I want to take her out to dinner a couple times a month...haha.

I read on there website they allow only 315 members. This is a HUGE selling point.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='TeachingProMike' timestamp='1405654757' post='9725595']i played it last year, it was in decent shape, decent layout ( cant think of any terribly designed holes) practice facility was OK. It is overall an OK experience. I cant say anything bad about it, but in the same breathe I have no desire to play it again.[/quote]

Hmmm...for the price, ok, may not cut it.

[quote name='crombienator' timestamp='1405721419' post='9731321']
[quote name='TeachingProMike' timestamp='1405654757' post='9725595']i played it last year, it was in decent shape, decent layout ( cant think of any terribly designed holes) practice facility was OK. It is overall an OK experience. I cant say anything bad about it, but in the same breathe I have no desire to play it again.[/quote]

Hmmm...for the price, ok, may not cut it.
[/quote]

I agree. I've played there in scrambles and more recently within the past 5 years because I have a buddy that lives right off the course - my fiance just down the road as well...it's a decent lay-out, but I never get overly excited to play it. It is a nice quiet course, but no real challenges beside maybe #18 straight up hill.

if you live in the area Thompson, CT has a beautiful private course called Quinnatisset which has a waiting list to get in, but often people on the list back out. Most notably, my father was #74 on the list 4 years ago and was approached to please join.

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

Ellington ridge is a nice course but nothing overly special. I haven't played it in years though. Either way I agree with above. Quinnatisset is the course I would be trying to join in north eastern CT.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1405722820' post='9731463']Ellington ridge is a nice course but nothing overly special. I haven't played it in years though. Either way I agree with above. Quinnatisset is the course I would be trying to join in north eastern CT.[/quote]

Unfortunately Thompson is 50 minutes away. Too far

[quote name='crombienator' timestamp='1405728253' post='9731909']
[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1405722820' post='9731463']Ellington ridge is a nice course but nothing overly special. I haven't played it in years though. Either way I agree with above. Quinnatisset is the course I would be trying to join in north eastern CT.[/quote]

[/quote]

What town/area of CT are you located in?

Ellington ridge is a nice course but nothing overly special. I haven't played it in years though. Either way I agree with above. Quinnatisset is the course I would be trying to join in north eastern CT.

What town/area of CT are you located in?

Stafford CTmegatyze.jpg

[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1405730382' post='9732087'][quote name='crombienator' timestamp='1405728253' post='9731909']

[/quote]

What town/area of CT are you located in?[/quote]

Any other recommendations?

[quote name='crombienator' timestamp='1405778117' post='9734797']
[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1405730382' post='9732087'][quote name='crombienator' timestamp='1405728253' post='9731909']

[/quote]

What town/area of CT are you located in?[/quote]
Any other recommendations?
[/quote]

I'm not really aware of too many courses in that area (within 20-30 minutes). It looks like Ellington Ridge is still 40 minutes from you. I've played some nice courses in the Springfield mass area (The Ranch) but that's probably about 50 minutes away too.

Manchester CC?

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

[quote name='BTP' timestamp='1405807996' post='9737199']Manchester CC?[/quote]

That would be considerably cheaper. It is semi-private. I am looking for good practice facilities to go along with my membership. I like how crestview in agawam, Ma looks(never been there). That's 35 minutes from me. I am leary about semi-private means. I want to have a freedom to play as I wish. I don't want to pay to wrestle with the public. I may be way off on how semi-private works. Maybe someone could clear that up...

[quote name='crombienator' timestamp='1405808442' post='9737243']

That would be considerably cheaper. It is semi-private. I am looking for good practice facilities to go along with my membership. I like how crestview in agawam, Ma looks(never been there). That's 35 minutes from me. I am leary about semi-private means. I want to have a freedom to play as I wish. I don't want to pay to wrestle with the public. I may be way off on how semi-private works. Maybe someone could clear that up...
[/quote]

Manchester CC is a wonderful, fun classic course that has been in excellent shape every time I've played it (most recently, this past Saturday). And as public courses go, its practice facility is more than adequate. I would recommend you consider it very strongly.

Senior Writer, GolfPass

PING G425 LST - KBS TD 60g Cat 4
Srixon Z F65 15 & 19
TM V-Steel 21
PXG 0311 ST (GEN 4) 4-W - Nippon Modus3 105X
Titleist Vokey SM8 52 & 58 (raw)
Evnroll ER5 (370g)

[quote name='Tim Gavrich' timestamp='1405956895' post='9749043'][quote name='crombienator' timestamp='1405808442' post='9737243']

[/quote]

Manchester CC is a wonderful, fun classic course that has been in excellent shape every time I've played it (most recently, this past Saturday). And as public courses go, its practice facility is more than adequate. I would recommend you consider it very strongly.[/quote]

Thank you greatly for your feedback. What exactly is the difference as far as being a member/non member and playing/tee times? Do I get preferential?

[quote name='Tim Gavrich' timestamp='1405956895' post='9749043'][quote name='crombienator' timestamp='1405808442' post='9737243']

[/quote]

Manchester CC is a wonderful, fun classic course that has been in excellent shape every time I've played it (most recently, this past Saturday). And as public courses go, its practice facility is more than adequate. I would recommend you consider it very strongly.[/quote]

Gonna check it out Wednesday!

I don't know if you passed on Ellington, but you should at least test drive it. I've played there a number of times with a friend who was a member - it has a reputation of being a serious golfer's course with lots of low handicappers. The green speeds are some of the fastest in the state.

The layout isn't memorable, but it's solid. I'd ask the pro to fit you in with some members around the same handicap for a test run - my experience is that the social and skill fit of your playing companions is just as important as the course. If its a great course and you're playing with A-holes you might not have a great time. On the other hand, if the chemistry is right, you'll still have a great time even if its not Augusta National.

I don't know how old you are or what your skill level is... I know a lot of Golfwrxer's are mid-low handicap, and you're more likely to find good serious golfers at Ellington than Manchester CC - it seems to me Manchester had an older membership.

[quote name='daverain1' timestamp='1405973512' post='9752211']I don't know if you passed on Ellington, but you should at least test drive it. I've played there a number of times with a friend who was a member - it has a reputation of being a serious golfer's course with lots of low handicappers. The green speeds are some of the fastest in the state.

The layout isn't memorable, but it's solid. I'd ask the pro to fit you in with some members around the same handicap for a test run - my experience is that the social and skill fit of your playing companions is just as important as the course. If its a great course and you're playing with A-holes you might not have a great time. On the other hand, if the chemistry is right, you'll still have a great time even if its not Augusta National.

I don't know how old you are or what your skill level is... I know a lot of Golfwrxer's are mid-low handicap, and you're more likely to find good serious golfers at Ellington than Manchester CC - it seems to me Manchester had an older membership.[/quote]

I am a mid handicap, 31 years old. I am looking to step up my game and was hoping to join a facility that will give me the freedom to do so. I understand the difference between Manchester and Ellington will be great. The biggest factor right now is the $4300 vs $1100. I'm trying to determine if the difference in facilities is that big. My one concern with Manchester is wrestling with the public as opposed to Ellington where I can play anytime I want as fast or as slow as I want, practice, take extra shots, skip holes, whatever.

I must add I have never been a member of a private course. So forming expectations is purely speculative on my part. I done need a magical layout. I want very well groomed, nice greens, WELL taken care of practice area that is close to course conditions. These are my wants, like I said I am forming these opinions based purely on comparison to public play!

[quote name='crombienator' timestamp='1405975184' post='9752505']
[quote name='daverain1' timestamp='1405973512' post='9752211']I don't know if you passed on Ellington, but you should at least test drive it. I've played there a number of times with a friend who was a member - it has a reputation of being a serious golfer's course with lots of low handicappers. The green speeds are some of the fastest in the state.

I don't know how old you are or what your skill level is... I know a lot of Golfwrxer's are mid-low handicap, and you're more likely to find good serious golfers at Ellington than Manchester CC - it seems to me Manchester had an older membership.[/quote]

I am a mid handicap, 31 years old. I am looking to step up my game and was hoping to join a facility that will give me the freedom to do so. I understand the difference between Manchester and Ellington will be great. The biggest factor right now is the $4300 vs $1100. I'm trying to determine if the difference in facilities is that big. My one concern with Manchester is wrestling with the public as opposed to Ellington where I can play anytime I want as fast or as slow as I want, practice, take extra shots, skip holes, whatever.
[/quote]

My soon to be father in law has a two year membership at MCC with a few stipulations: Only Mon-Fri and have to pay the price for a cart each time. Maybe you could look into something like that

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

[quote name='BTP' timestamp='1405980469' post='9753209'][quote name='crombienator' timestamp='1405975184' post='9752505']

[/quote]

My soon to be father in law has a two year membership at MCC with a few stipulations: Only Mon-Fri and have to pay the price for a cart each time. Maybe you could look into something like that[/quote]

Definitely a possibility. I am second shift so mornings during then week are good.i hate that you have to pay for the cart. Pulling money out of your pocket each round truly defeats the purpose of a membership in my opinion. I think it said its another $820 a year for a cart package, starts nulling your savings...

Manchester has a great group of guys, and is always in good/great shape. Only thing it is pretty busy there, and you can't just walk a quick nine there. The ninth hole ends at the farthest point from the clubhouse. To play nine you play 1-4 then 14-18 which is nice playing 4 par 5's in a row. Or park out by nine and play 10-13 then 5-9.

The advantages to membership at MCC appear to be longer lead time on tee times (14 days vs. 7 days) and preferred weekend morning times. Also, it should be noted that it's a perfectly fine course to walk, so I wouldn't be deterred by the need to pay cart fee when you want a cart.

If you want to get a feel for the extent to which there are more serious and younger players at MCC, I'd recommend signing up for the Manchester Open coming up on Sunday August 3. It's a fun one-day tournament to play in and I believe they have a net as well as a gross division.

Senior Writer, GolfPass

PING G425 LST - KBS TD 60g Cat 4
Srixon Z F65 15 & 19
TM V-Steel 21
PXG 0311 ST (GEN 4) 4-W - Nippon Modus3 105X
Titleist Vokey SM8 52 & 58 (raw)
Evnroll ER5 (370g)