2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The Wager...

Pigems

Read the 'Cabin Fever' thread again. Funny, this Wager has helped to ease the winter blues a bit. I'm not struggling psychologically like I was last winter.

Could be that the weather has been comparatively mild, I know I can't purchase golf clubs, and I'm playing 2 rounds of simulated golf each week.

Thank you for the entertainment ladies and gents.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1422152296' post='10812425']
[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1422138796' post='10811371']
We came in 3rd, -9. One shot out of a playoff due to a computer malfunction. But we all had fun. You have to try the new Chrome Soft. Awesome ball!
[/quote]

I wish I could have witnessed the spectacle G64. Was an hour behind all day today. Just put both Peanuts to bed after picking them up from the in-laws.

How did you hit the ball given the extended lay-off?
[/quote]I actually hit the ball well!? Guess who's drive we used 95% of the time?! They had them set for hard and fast fairways, but still was in the middle @ 290. I looked at Rick and asked him why I can't do that on the course?! He said I needed a new driver. lol. Really liking this Chrome Soft! Really look forward to see what it does on the course. Love the feel off all clubs!

Ping Hoofer

TM Sim2 10.5* 

TM Sim2 4H

TM P790 5-AW

TM MG1 54/60*

SC NP

TM SS

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1422191298' post='10814043']
[b]They had them set for hard and fast fairways, but still was in the middle @ 290. I looked at Rick and asked him why I can't do that on the course?[/b]! He said I needed a new driver. lol. Really liking this Chrome Soft! Really look forward to see what it does on the course. Love the feel off all clubs!
[/quote]

The light goes on...I'm a late bloomer...no wonder there is all that rollout (that we don't get here, at least often) on the testing bay results at GT on their sim compared to to the real world results.

Keep reading good things on the new Chrome Soft. I didn't like the original Chrome as it felt spinny to me, and the Chrome+ was just too hard and harsh for me (though I had played the Hex Black for a short bit even with my very mortal slower swingspeed). I might need to consider giving them a shot in the Spring.

But I've got a ton of other stash I play and feel similar to me in play: Diablo HX tour closeouts, NXT Tour (not the S) and dozens of ProV1 one hit wonders that I get from a local guy for $20 a dozen. Really minty. The latter are such a bargain that it's hard not to fork out some bills if he has set up shop on a Saturday near the driving range I frequent. He gave me his business card if we want to call to put in a custom order...we actually did that for some yellow balls for my wife last summer. Unfortunately they were men's balls so I passed on that.

Yes, I'm destined to be a buyer I guess. Lucky I opted out of [i]The Wager[/i] after a couple of days in the "non-feeding frenzy". :busted2: I was good for a long time but eBay brought me some new or minty off season deals while bored in the rain: the 2014 V Series Heavenwood in November (now on Craigslist), and "for Christmas to me" SM5 50 and 58. A new in wrapper G25 20* that I found locally on eBay for $160 inc shipping arrives this week. It is planned to replace the failed Heavenwood and my G20 20* that has proved to be a bit inconsistent of late by this archer. Still liking the G20 23* and 27* as an iron-look replacement.

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1422191298' post='10814043']
[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1422152296' post='10812425']
[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1422138796' post='10811371']
We came in 3rd, -9. One shot out of a playoff due to a computer malfunction. But we all had fun. You have to try the new Chrome Soft. Awesome ball!
[/quote]

I wish I could have witnessed the spectacle G64. Was an hour behind all day today. Just put both Peanuts to bed after picking them up from the in-laws.

How did you hit the ball given the extended lay-off?
[/quote]I actually hit the ball well!? Guess who's drive we used 95% of the time?! They had them set for hard and fast fairways, but still was in the middle @ 290. I looked at Rick and asked him why I can't do that on the course?! He said I needed a new driver. lol. Really liking this Chrome Soft! Really look forward to see what it does on the course. Love the feel off all clubs!
[/quote]

I can't wait to hit the Chrome Soft G64! When I get home........

Have been playing the SuperSoft most of 2014 and loving it!

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1422153019' post='10812481']
I've had an interesting week of simulated golf. I'm tweaked something in the small of my back and am suffering though some discomfort. The pain is making it difficult to make a full turn am I'm having trouble staying in my posture. Through the past three rounds I've averaged 210 - 215 yards off the tee, with a dreaded case of the snap hooks. At times I'm smothering the ball 170 yards off the tee. The oddity is that I'm +3 over my last 45 holes and it's all been 'smoke and mirrors'.

A typical hole . . . smothered drive 185 yards, 3 hybrid 190 yards, pitch to 7 feet, sink the putt to save par.

My game inside 130 yards has been exceptional and my game over 200 yards has been downright scary.

It's demoralizing to struggle off the tee, but I'd be incredibly pleased if this short game work translated into lower scores in the spring.
[/quote]

What is it, if you don't mind me asking, that feels different between the long game and that inside of 130 yards?

[quote name='LittlePoison1980' timestamp='1422202742' post='10814805']
I've had an interesting week of simulated golf. I'm tweaked something in the small of my back and am suffering though some discomfort. The pain is making it difficult to make a full turn am I'm having trouble staying in my posture. Through the past three rounds I've averaged 210 - 215 yards off the tee, with a dreaded case of the snap hooks. At times I'm smothering the ball 170 yards off the tee. The oddity is that I'm +3 over my last 45 holes and it's all been 'smoke and mirrors'.

A typical hole . . . smothered drive 185 yards, 3 hybrid 190 yards, pitch to 7 feet, sink the putt to save par.

My game inside 130 yards has been exceptional and my game over 200 yards has been downright scary.

It's demoralizing to struggle off the tee, but I'd be incredibly pleased if this short game work translated into lower scores in the spring.
[/quote]

What is it, if you don't mind me asking, that feels different between the long game and that inside of 130 yards?
[/quote]

I feel 'out of sync' with my woods and driver. Striking the ball nearer the heel and turning the ball over. I'm taking the club back and starting the downswing too quickly.

I can't begin to tell you why I'm hitting my irons/hybrids better, but this has typically been the story of my game. The driver and its swing have always been a cause for concern. I go through periods where I feel connected and in sync and times when I feel totally helpless on the tee.

Hence the reason I'm focusing so much attention on my short game. I want to be able to save strokes on those days when I'm struggling off the tee. I'm beginning to realize that there are many ways to post a score. I'm never going to be known as a 'bomber' but maybe someday I can have a short game that I can be truly proud of.

The short game focus is definitely bleeding into to my short/mid irons. I'm beginning to comprehend what the clubs doing through impact and am learning to properly release the club.

All a part of the journey.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Funny, this thread began as an equipment challenge. As we've progressed I've focused less and less on equipment and have focused more and more on my actual game. The results are definitely encouraged.

I'm living vicariously through my regular playing partner at the moment. I'm heading out to the garage to build him a 7 iron that we can use to MOI match his set. He wants to switch from steel (XP's) to graphite (Prolaunch Blue) and I'm excited to perform the build.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Let me know how he makes out with the PL Blues in his irons, I'm pondering a switch to graphite myself. I'm curious to see his results. Also you are completely right on the focus shifting from the equipment to the game and swing.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I'm also thinking about cutting down my fw's and hybrid this afternoon, these are the current lengths and what I'm thinking about shortening them to. I might also add some lead tape to my irons as well, I hit my driver so well yesterday its making me want to up the SW a little on the rest of my clubs to see if I can get similar results with the rest of my set. :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1422203542' post='10814881']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I feel 'out of sync' with my woods and driver. Striking the ball nearer the heel and turning the ball over. I'm taking the club back and starting the downswing too quickly.

I can't begin to tell you why I'm hitting my irons/hybrids better, but this has typically been the story of my game. The driver and its swing have always been a cause for concern. I go through periods where I feel connected and in sync and times when I feel totally helpless on the tee.

Hence the reason I'm focusing so much attention on my short game. I want to be able to save strokes on those days when I'm struggling off the tee. I'm beginning to realize that there are many ways to post a score. I'm never going to be known as a 'bomber' but maybe someday I can have a short game that I can be truly proud of.

The short game focus is definitely bleeding into to my short/mid irons. I'm beginning to comprehend what the clubs doing through impact and am learning to properly release the club.

[/quote]

I ask a lot of these types of questions because the answers often help me to address something similar in my game if it creeps up. I've been working on staying connected, as well as my transition. I've also made, IMHO, a really important note about my body and how it affects my swing. I have really, and I mean, REALLY short legs. We're talking 28 inch inseams here. Smurf-esque, even. I was struggling from the mid irons to the longer clubs to finish adequately, and in sync, onto my left side. I've narrowed my stance considerably, and practiced the side arm, under hand ball throwing motion. I put the emphasis on finishing on the lead side, and the combination seems to have helped tremendously. The only side effect of this has been that I now have to relocate the bottom of my swing arc, which will also be a dramatic improvement.

Interesting experience in this build.

The specs of his 7 iron are all out of whack. They were supposedly built 37" long with a D0 swing weight, but they are actually 37.5" and D5 swing weight. I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of his set. I've got a sneaking suspicion that the specs are all over the map.

Sometimes what we order is not what we actually receive. Talk about building tolerances.

The new 7 iron will be measured to 37 3/8" and D1 swing weight.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

I should add, I love my new shaft extractor. Also my feet and hands are frozen. I need to invest in a heater for the garage. My wife isn't so pleased that I'm completing the build in the kitchen while she's trying to cook : )

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1422211293' post='10815517']
I'm also thinking about cutting down my fw's and hybrid this afternoon, these are the current lengths and what I'm thinking about shortening them to. I might also add some lead tape to my irons as well, I hit my driver so well yesterday its making me want to up the SW a little on the rest of my clubs to see if I can get similar results with the rest of my set. :)
[/quote]

Wait, pardner! Cutting down an inch (about 6 pts) on your 3W and 1/2 on 5W (about 3 pts) may feel way diff than the driver cut, (including flex), and do you want to have a bunch of tape on a FW club? Not saying don't do it, but suggest testing first. There are some tips in threads about choking down and marking that point to try the feel...can't see the right away on a search but you might want to consider searching. Of course there are other ways of adding weight after besides lead tape.

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1422212697' post='10815633']

The specs of his 7 iron are all out of whack. They were supposedly built 37" long with a D0 swing weight, but they are actually 37.5" and D5 swing weight. I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of his set. I've got a sneaking suspicion that the specs are all over the map.

Sometimes what we order is not what we actually receive. Talk about building tolerances.

[/quote]
hmmm... and how many folks, at least avg golfing joes, would check the specs of even an ordered set, besides a straight off the rack.

[quote name='LittlePoison1980' timestamp='1422211790' post='10815565']
[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1422203542' post='10814881']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I ask a lot of these types of questions because the answers often help me to address something similar in my game if it creeps up. I've been working on staying connected, as well as my transition. I've also made, IMHO, a really important note about my body and how it affects my swing. I have really, and I mean, REALLY short legs. We're talking 28 inch inseams here. Smurf-esque, even. I was struggling from the mid irons to the longer clubs to finish adequately, and in sync, onto my left side. I've narrowed my stance considerably, and practiced the side arm, under hand ball throwing motion. I put the emphasis on finishing on the lead side, and the combination seems to have helped tremendously. The only side effect of this has been that I now have to relocate the bottom of my swing arc, which will also be a dramatic improvement.
[/quote]
Finishing swing always an issue for me and I'm 5'7" with about a 29" inseam I think. And not flexible. I tend to do better with a narrower stance, and maybe you hit on something. Thanks.

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1422213496' post='10815693']

[/quote]
hmmm... and how many folks, at least avg golfing joes, would check the specs of even an ordered set, besides a straight off the rack.
[/quote]

Here's what's sad, he ordered them direct from the OEM (who shall remain nameless) and he waited for nearly a month to receive them.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Well I just did my fairways for now, they feel much more comfortable at this length. I've been experimenting with choking down on them for the past few rounds and hit them much better when choked up at least and inch. So I just took and inch off of each one for now. Probably going to need to add some weight back to the heads but once I get that sorted out to a good weight I think I'll take them in somewhere to get them hot melted or tip weighted because the tape doesn't stay on too well.

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

O[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1422219673' post='10816275']
Dumb question from the peanut gallery here Pige....

Are you using that impact tape during your experiments?

Not implying a thing here -- just asking.
[/quote]

Yes sir I did on some occasions, also the simulator helps quite a bit with the info it gives. I'm just more consistent with them being shorter, especially yardage wise. But it's hard to choke up the same amount every time, if my experiment doesn't pan out the way I expect it to I can always pick up a few butt extensions and add the length back simple enough. :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1422220640' post='10816335']
O[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1422219673' post='10816275']
Dumb question from the peanut gallery here Pige....

Are you using that impact tape during your experiments?

Not implying a thing here -- just asking.
[/quote]

Yes sir I did on some occasions, also the simulator helps quite a bit with the info it gives. I'm just more consistent with them being shorter, especially yardage wise. But it's hard to choke up the same amount every time, if my experiment doesn't pan out the way I expect it to I can always pick up a few butt extensions and add the length back simple enough. :)
[/quote]

Roger that. Was just wondering. My only experience with shaft extenders goes back many moons. May have mentioned before I went through a time where my lower spine was so badly screwed up I was facing major surgery. (barely escaped the knife and will never be the same). Well to get back to the game I HAD to stand very vertically. There was absolutely no way I could bend forward at the waist without risking damage that would surely land me on the operating table. So - I bought shaft extenders - LONG ones - at least three inches each.

The good news was I could apply an ugly swing and at least say I was making my way back out onto the course. The bad news is the overall swing weights and feel of the club wandered so far off the charts it almost became funny. My 5 iron felt like it had 10 lbs of lead tape on it and the wedge felt like a sledge hammer. Those clubs were swinging me!!! LOL.

Oh well - back I go to the peanut gallery (NO OFFENSE PD - LOL). Have fun guys and continued success to all on the wager.

[/quote]

I've had a few simple adjustments come back completely out of whack. I've even had the sand wedge shaft switched with the lob wedge shaft, which actually gave me a bit of an advantage, depending on the shot. Of course, there was a flip side to that coin. :D

[color=#393939]

[b] Boston, MA[/b]
[color=#999999][size=3]Sun, Jan 25, 3:58 pm EST[/size][/color][/color] [list]
[*]... BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM MONDAY TO 1 AM EST WEDNESDAY...
[*]THE [url="http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/l/01890:4:US?phenomena=BZ&significance=W&areaid=MAZ014&office=KBOX&etn=0001&tid=557594#"]NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE[/url] IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM MONDAY TO 1 AM EST WEDNESDAY. THE BLIZZARD WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.
[*]* [url="http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/l/01890:4:US?phenomena=BZ&significance=W&areaid=MAZ014&office=KBOX&etn=0001&tid=557594#"]LOCATIONS[/url]... EASTERN AND SOUTHEASTERN MASSACHUSETTS AS WELL AS ALL OF RHODE ISLAND.
[*]* HAZARD TYPES... HEAVY SNOW... STRONG WINDS AND BLIZZARD CONDITIONS. CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. STRONG TO DAMAGING WINDS.
[*]* ACCUMULATIONS... SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF AROUND 20 TO 30 INCHES... WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS. SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 TO 4 INCHES AN HOUR AT TIMES.
[*]* TIMING... WHILE THE STORM IS EXPECTED LATE MONDAY LINGERING INTO EARLY WEDNESDAY... THE WORST OF THE STORM WILL BE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON.
[*]* IMPACTS... HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL RESULT IN WHITE-OUT / BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY. TRAVEL WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE AND LIFE THREATENING ACROSS THE ENTIRE REGION. ALSO SNOW MAY BE WET ENOUGH TO RESULT IN DOWNED TREE LIMBS AND POWER OUTAGES IN ADDITION TO THE WINDS.
[*]* WINDS... NORTH-NORTHEAST 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS AROUND 65 TO 75 MPH. THE HEIGHT OF THE WINDS WILL BE LATE MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY. THE [url="http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/l/01890:4:US?phenomena=BZ&significance=W&areaid=MAZ014&office=KBOX&etn=0001&tid=557594#"]STRONGEST WINDS[/url] WILL BE ACROSS THE COASTAL AREAS.
[*]* VISIBILITIES... ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.
[*]PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS [url="http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/l/01890:4:US?phenomena=BZ&significance=W&areaid=MAZ014&office=KBOX&etn=0001&tid=557594#"]ACTIONS[/url]...
[*]A BLIZZARD WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS OR FREQUENT GUSTS OVER 35 MPH ARE EXPECTED WITH CONSIDERABLE FALLING AND/OR BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. VISIBILITIES WILL BECOME POOR WITH WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES. THOSE VENTURING OUTDOORS MAY BECOME LOST OR DISORIENTED... SO PERSONS IN THE WARNING AREA ARE ADVISED TO STAY INDOORS.
[*]ALL UNNECESSARY TRAVEL IS DISCOURAGED BEGINNING MONDAY AFTERNOON... TO ALLOW PEOPLE ALREADY ON THE ROAD TO SAFELY REACH THEIR DESTINATION BEFORE THE HEAVY SNOW BEGINS... AND TO ALLOW SNOW REMOVAL[url="http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/l/01890:4:US?phenomena=BZ&significance=W&areaid=MAZ014&office=KBOX&etn=0001&tid=557594#"]EQUIPMENT[/url] TO BEGIN TO [url="http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/l/01890:4:US?phenomena=BZ&significance=W&areaid=MAZ014&office=KBOX&etn=0001&tid=557594#"]CLEAR[/url] ROADS.
[/list]

I broke out the lead tape tonight, my fairways turned out as expected. But my irons surprised me when I checked them. They should have been D2 to start, and with that much tape added they should have more than 1 sw point I would have thought? The LB.com pictures from top to bottom are 3 wood, 5 wood, 5 Iron, 9 Iron. I'll get to the bottom of this lol,but I'm almost positive impact gonna want new heavier shafts for my fairways at this length I think, I want more weight in the head but if I add to much more these shafts are gonna start to get flimsy I think. Maybe I can tip them a bit and add a butt extension to get the length back?? I guess I should try them first lol

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

That is a bag to be feared Pigs. Lead tape = business time.

Remember, in the end it's all about feel.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1422244478' post='10818433']
That is a bag to be feared Pigs. Lead tape = business time.

Remember, in the end it's all about feel.
[/quote]

Lets hope PD ;)

Heres a swing comparison, from last year at the beginning of the winter to this weeks swing. Rather interesting to see how my swing has changed over the past year :)

http://youtu.be/-MoS83i72eY

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2