2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The Wager...

Pigems

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope all are warm. My best friend and his family are currently holed up in their Boston home. Their thermostat is set at 78*, but their house temperature is currently in the low 60's. They're all bundled up as they sit in their poorly insulated living room.

Let's hope that the poor weather is only a temporary nuisance. Here's to a early and beautiful spring.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

[quote name='LittlePoison1980' timestamp='1422414761' post='10832321']
Tomorrow I dig out my grandfather's place! Then we're done for a few days! WOOHOO!!!
[/quote]

We haven't had a major snowfall yet this year (which is an oddity) but I'm not complaining. I really dislike shoveling snow.

G64, I still haven't purchased a snow blower.

Don't work to hard LP.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='LittlePoison1980' timestamp='1422414990' post='10832337']
Pigems, just out of curiosity, how do you like those CBs? Were the AP2s ever in the running?
[/quote]

On a good day they're beautiful, on an off day I wish they were AP2's, or even AP1's some days. I'll most likely pick up a set of 712 AP2's at some point after the wager. While the CB's are very pretty, they demand a good swing.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Pigs,

Like the look of the new paint-fill. I'm a colour coordination kinda guy as well. Are you going to leave the orange on the hybrid?

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Played a simulated round at Sun Ridge tonight, which I come to discover is a real course in Arizona. Played the whites first (which were short) and posted a 70 (-1). I was striking many drives near the heel, but the ball was finding the fairway 215 yards out. Hit 15 GIR, but made very little on the greens.

One of the instructors watched parts of the round and commented that I wasn't 'setting the club' at the top of my backswing and was getting quick in transition. Also noted that my grip was a little weak. Strengthened my grip, slowed down a bit on the way back and immediately struck the ball better. Too bad the round was nearly over.

A real positive . . . my regular playing partner struck the ball really well and we had a spirited match as he bested me by a stroke. He hit the test 7 iron that I had built and really liked the feel and performance of the club. He commented that it felt 'balanced' in this hands. I need to add two more wraps of tape and then the full build will begin. I'm pleased that he has enough faith in me to complete his set. I will build him a winner : )

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1422415981' post='10832439']
Pigs,

Like the look of the new paint-fill. I'm a colour coordination kinda guy as well. Are you going to leave the orange on the hybrid?
[/quote]

TYVM sir, its been a while since I've done any so I felt I was due. I'm hoping to get all the orange gone, but the issue with the remaining orange is its not in a indented line, its just painted flat on a surface. So its going to take some thinking to get rid of the last 2 orange lines. But I will find a way. gonna re do the red on my fairways tonight to match the driver too, the different color reds are bugging me already lol. I still can't decide on colors for my irons though, this used to be easier before lol.

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1422416362' post='10832497']
Played a simulated round at Sun Ridge tonight, which I come to discover is a real course in Arizona. Played the whites first (which were short) and posted a 70 (-1). I was striking many drives near the heel, but the ball was finding the fairway 215 yards out. Hit 15 GIR, but made very little on the greens.

One of the instructors watched parts of the round and commented that I wasn't 'setting the club' at the top of my backswing and was getting quick in transition. Also noted that my grip was a little weak. Strengthened my grip, slowed down a bit on the way back and immediately struck the ball better. Too bad the round was nearly over.

A real positive . . . my regular playing partner struck the ball really well and we had a spirited match as he bested me by a stroke. He hit the test 7 iron that I had built and really liked the feel and performance of the club. He commented that it felt 'balanced' in this hands. I need to add two more wraps of tape and then the full build will begin. I'm pleased that he has enough faith in me to complete his set. I will build him a winner : )
[/quote]

Nice round PD, its funny how a few small tweaks can make all the difference some days eh??

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Just got back from Golf Town. They just put out the new ProVs. Won't be playing them any more! $60/dz plus taxes. $67.80/dz. Chrome Soft here I come! $40/dz.

Ping Hoofer

TM Sim2 10.5* 

TM Sim2 4H

TM P790 5-AW

TM MG1 54/60*

SC NP

TM SS

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1422482502' post='10836889']
Just got back from Golf Town. They just put out the new ProVs. Won't be playing them any more! $60/dz plus taxes. $67.80/dz. Chrome Soft here I come! $40/dz.
[/quote]

Close to $70 a dozen is insane. I'll play my 7 dozen, discounted FG Tours until some other massive discount comes along.

G64, who is the healthy eater in your avatar? I don't recognize the young lady.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1422442688' post='10833419']

[/quote]

Nice round PD, its funny how a few small tweaks can make all the difference some days eh??
[/quote]

Funny you posted this last night. Hit balls for an hour today. I spent the session focused on my grip (seems I had gotten a bit weak) and hit the ball solidly off the tee. I wish there was some continuity from week to week, but this is the byproduct of hitting balls once/twice a week. Darn day jobs ; )

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

I'm starting to think I have sympathy pains for my Nor'East brothers... both shoulders are not letting me play right now so I am having to watch the "Greatest Show in Golf" on TV instead of being out playing. Cannot wait to see the "changes" to the course that have been touted. I have my yardage book from 2013 so I can see if anything appears to have changed a bunch while I am sitting here under a bath of ice bags, Icy Hot, and hot showers. Starting to sound like I'm playing ice hockey again... without contact.

Hope everyone is doing well and keeping as warm as possible.

PD, that's Anita. lol Btw, might want to put the Wager on hold? I think the price of equipment will be going up?! Dollar closed below .80. This happened last time the dollar went for a s***!

Ping Hoofer

TM Sim2 10.5* 

TM Sim2 4H

TM P790 5-AW

TM MG1 54/60*

SC NP

TM SS

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1422482502' post='10836889']
[/quote]
Yowzer! And with the Canuck-buck looking more like 75 cents soon, a down south stocking up trip on whatever-turns-your-golf-crank doesn't make sense either. We still might look at Portland for a few days in the Spring. Great city and no tax on Oregon. Forgetting the exchange for a minute, it's great getting a bill for say a $50 dinner and it really is $50 before tip. There I go on getting into stuff that probably should go in Thrillhouses's northern brethren forum again. I'll "wager" it is getting complicated for others in this thread too. :taunt:

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1422442648' post='10833417']
Pigs,

[/quote]

TYVM sir, its been a while since I've done any so I felt I was due. I'm hoping to get all the orange gone, but the issue with the remaining orange is its not in a indented line, its just painted flat on a surface. So its going to take some thinking to get rid of the last 2 orange lines. But I will find a way. gonna re do the red on my fairways tonight to match the driver too, the different color reds are bugging me already lol. I still can't decide on colors for my irons though, this used to be easier before lol.
[/quote] If you are getting new irons, would it make sense to paint your irons if you are going to lose value in selling them?

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1422486722' post='10837307']
PD, that's Anita. lol Btw, might want to put the Wager on hold? I think the price of equipment will be going up?! Dollar closed below .80. This happened last time the dollar went for a s***!
[/quote]

I thought the young lady looked familiar. You are a very lucky man. If only she'd take off that darn Habitant jersey ; )

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[/quote]

Excellent score! Well done. I'm glad your friend is thrilled with the club and following through with the rest of the set. I'm sure he's going to be coming back to you for several more builds!

The will said yes to digging out Grandpa's house, the back said no. Tomorrow afternoon it shall be. :D

Pigs, thanks for the pricing update on those ProV1s... I think they are officially out of my league now, LOL.

Anyone else ready for spring?

[quote name='lucascole23' timestamp='1422487281' post='10837367']
Pigs,

[/quote]

[/quote] If you are getting new irons, would it make sense to paint your irons if you are going to lose value in selling them?
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing... it might be best to leave them be for maximum value.

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1422499154' post='10838585']
[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1422486722' post='10837307']
[/quote]

I thought the young lady looked familiar. You are a very lucky man. If only she'd take off that darn Habitant jersey ; )
[/quote]

I didn't want to say anything but... ah, nevermind. ;)

I just realized how poorly I would do in this thread. I pulled the trigger on some new in plastic XTD forged heads, 4-PW. I'm very exited as I'm expecting much more forgiveness versus my MP69s, which I like very much. I can't wait until they're here!!!!

[quote name='lucascole23' timestamp='1422487281' post='10837367']
Pigs,

[/quote]

[/quote]
If you are getting new irons, would it make sense to paint your irons if you are going to lose value in selling them?
[/quote]

Oh I have no intent to sell them, I don't sell things all to often. If i get some AP's in the spring it will just be an addition to the collection, no selling. :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Trust me PD, I keep asking her to 'take it off'! Was hitting a few irons @ GT yesterday, RSI1 7 iron, 190 total?!? Normally my 7 iron is 160?! And I wasn't hitting well?! Scary!

Ping Hoofer

TM Sim2 10.5* 

TM Sim2 4H

TM P790 5-AW

TM MG1 54/60*

SC NP

TM SS

Now in really starting to question the length of my irons. I just spent 20 min with my PW downstairs(I'm off today) choking up almost a full inch and this is the results. Hmmmmm....

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1422536996' post='10840187']
Trust me PD, I keep asking her to 'take it off'! Was hitting a few irons @ GT yesterday, RSI1 7 iron, 190 total?!? Normally my 7 iron is 160?! And I wasn't hitting well?! Scary!
[/quote]

190?? Did you hit any half on/half off the spring face to see what would happen?? I'm curious as to how bad it would go offline ?? Are they conforming??

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1422537096' post='10840193']
Now in really starting to question the length of my irons. I just spent 20 min with my PW downstairs(I'm off today) choking up almost a full inch and this is the results. Hmmmmm....
[/quote]

Years ago Pige, I took a lesson from a guy who at one point asked me to swing a PW for him. So I obliged of course. Within two swings he asked me to choke down and slightly shorten the swing. Then we shortened it a little more and choked down a little more. He was driving home the point that that's a scoring club and in HIS opinion it should never be given a full swing with no choke-down. He really stressed how when its time to let out the PW that I should do anything and everything to swing the 9 Iron. Well I'd love to report I have faithfully done what I was taught 100% of the time since. Heck I still find myself blasting the wedges when I shouldn't.... but that nice tight distribution you're getting with a little choke-down sort of reminded of what that old pro told me that day. LOL - maybe he had a point.

I will say that to this day I "try" (don't always maintain the discipline) but "try" to keep the wedge distances down under 125 to 130 MAX. And FWIW - I'm a little more in the camp of the 8 o'clock vs 9 o'clock vs 10 measures to control distance with one or two choke-down points to control distance. I know some folks just prefer to "hit it harder or not so hard". To each his own - LOL.