2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

~sigh~ My name is Tim and I am a Vintage Club Ho...

001_zps8e51sqke.jpg

002_zpszpkdnjsj.jpg

003_zpsuxbg2ft5.jpg

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Nice pickup on the bag, Otey, etc. OSR. One can never have to many golf bags (or bookcases). Picked up a nice Miller black fabric and tan leather (?) one a week ago for $15. Has a real old school look to it and just the right size, not to big, not to small.

Went out this a.m. to run some errands and check for new merch at a couple of thrifts. Hoping I would not find anything. First stop nothing, in and out. Second one, I was not so lucky. Rummaging thru the bin, almost undetectable, was a taped together bundle of clubs. Golden Ram Tour Grind Axial 4 - PW, TTDG 5.5 shafts with near new GP Tour Velvets in pristine condition. Matching numbers, perfect shaft bands, perfect grooves. Also in the bundle were Maxfli Tour Limited 3 and 4I (says nickel/chrome on the hosel) and a First Flight "the Standard" PW. All for $16.00. What's a poor boy to do. Couldn't just walk away and leave them there. I scooped. The problem is....I already have a set of Axials. Same exact clubs, only in not as good of condition. Such is the web we weave.

And for good measure before I left: two pair of microfiber shorts, a nearly new Cutter and Buck 35th Matches (Oakland Hills C. C.) Ryder Cup polo (sweet!) and six old school knit head covers.

P.S. I showed all of the latter to the Mrs. explaining the good deal obtained. I haven't shown her the irons. She wouldn't understand why I would need to buy MORE golf clubs, especially ones that I already have in inventory.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Wow! You guys sure do get some incredible hauls at thrifts!

At least I now know that if I decided to take a road trip to Michigan for a round that I wouldn't need to bring any clubs as you now have matching sets of Golden Rams, Fella! ;)

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Great day for the thrifts. The moon must be in the seventh sun, or something's in the water. Anyway, I also found a set of wonderful old Augusta Coasters. I'm sure there were orginally 18, but picked up 9 or 10 for $3.00 total. Each one is a pictorial of a hole. Think I'll put them in a Shadowbox, along with a Masters cap my boys had Rory sign for me.

[quote name='URStillAway' timestamp='1433689899' post='11705482']
I live in a small city and there is no places to find used classic clubs.

But I jumped at a chance to purchase some Hogan PC 's when a local pro shop was selling a set

2-9. The 5 and 2 iron have different serial numbers. All "4" flex except for the 5 iron which is a "3".

All in pretty good shape. Shaft bands mostly pretty good. Original grip on the 5 iron.

I will probably just play a round or two with them. For me, they are more nice golf art for my home office.

[attachment=2794900:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1433689828.555468.jpg]

[attachment=2794906:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1433689854.314141.jpg]

[attachment=2794908:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1433689875.366446.jpg]
[/quote]

UR, your PCs are one of Hogan's most iconic forged blades. I play mine and swear by them. The sweetspot is the size of a gnat, but when struck properly, they will let you know a perfect swing was made.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

[quote name='xgolfx' timestamp='1436813453' post='11940564']
[quote name='johnnydman' timestamp='1436045036' post='11888234']
I found these yesterday...the iron sets look to be at least nearly unhit (2-9i). I'm no MacGregor expert but I am guessing these are later reissues??? No hosel pin that I can see. Didn't realize until later both are ladies sets.

The woods, are they also reissues? I have 1-2-3-4-5wd...the 2 wood is slightly different, a PT2W.

Lastly, a Toney Penna Driver (ladies?)
[/quote]

Please show other views of the Toney Penna Driver. there are a couple non-sequiters in your description

CHARLEY PENNA
[/quote]

Here's a picture of the sole and the top. Let me know if you'd like to see any other views. (grip, meteor shaft band, etc...)

The shaft is just a bit short (about the same length as the 3wd for the Eye-O-Matic 60 set I bought at the same time).

Thank you for the info and clarifying what didn't make sense. The "Toney Penna" on the top is a stamp, the sole plate is worn/buffed down a bit as you can see...any chance it was a 3 wood and someone replaced the sole plate with a lighter weight one from a driver?

I'll hit a few balls with it and see how it feels but if you say it's an oddball/goofy then I'll make a new bin for such stuff!

Thanks again!

Nice Score Tim. Those are a slightly newer iteration of the clubs I'm currently playing in my main bag.

Really like the head shape with the meat lower down.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1436294449' post='11904600']
2-9 AP Tru-Matic, plus woods, 1,3,4,5, and bag stuffed with random clubs for $20.00 at Goodwill this afternoon.[attachment=2842588:image.jpg]
[/quote]

Nice find Randy. They have a slight resemblance to a '67 VIP.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

This isn't exactly new, as I acquired it a few years ago. Spalding TPM-3 that had been refinished at some point. Don't remember exactly where I picked it up, or even exactly when. :)

It was too short for me until yesterday, when I finally got around to getting it to 34". Will be giving it some play in the bag, starting with my next round. We'll see how it goes.

Threw a green midsized Pure Grip on it. Perhaps not quite up to Classic folder snuff, but I like different color grips....

(dumped the earlier thumbnail for the full size image)

0715151439_zpsdvjjptw1.jpg

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Up in post #947, I mentioned as part of the Axial pickup, in the bundle were a pair of Maxfli A10 Tour Limited irons (3i & 4i). They're shafted with TT Dynalites and look like they have never been hit. For giggles, I thru the 4i in the bag when I was out for a round the other day. Hit a few shots with it and to my surprise, it was pretty nice. Was able to get the ball up and away nicely (shafts?) and it had a pretty soft feel to the ball strike.

Some internet research yielded that they were manufactured 2002 - 2003 and were something of a successor to the Revolutions. They were a combo set with 2 -6i being a shallow cavity back and the 7i up blades. Has Nickel/Chrome stamped on the hosel, whatever that is suppose to be. Fairly compact head size, very little offset, narrow sole, a rather handsome looking golf club. Assume the blades are similarly sized and shaped.

Some commentary I found here and there was generally favorable, a nice set of irons in their day. Does anyone here have experience playing the full set? Impressions? Worthy of pursuit? TIA.

Please tell me that they are rubbish, that I should consign to the misc. club bin, not warranting further contemplation.

Edit note: A pic. Sorry about the size, not very good at the whole photo editing thing.

[attachment=2860246:image.jpg]

If Mr. Moore checks in he will probably be able to give you some valuable insight on those

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

For a time, I played a set of A10 irons. They are top shelf stuff.

The Revolution irons, the A10s, and the Australian Blades of the same vintage as the Revolution irons, were all a cast nickel. The Revolutions and Aussies had very little, or even no, offset, and were ridiculously soft. Those 99 Aussie blades are the softest irons I've ever hit. (and I've hit a lot of clubs in my short time)

The sole design on all of them is quite good, having some healthy camber from leading edge to trailing edge. Made them rather playable.

I have a black dot Revolution 1 iron I use in the 17°-18° slot from time to time. Quite lovely.

Top of the line. :)

FWIW, should you get into the reshafting realm, they are .370 bore. The Revolutions are best done with a collared ferrule, not sure if the A10s have the same "coning" at the top of the bore as the Revolutions.

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Thanks for the feedback NRJ. "Top shelf, quite lovely, top of the line"......I take it that you liked this era of Maxfli's? My club ho'in life would have been simpler if you would have said they play like crap. The A10's apparently are a worthy candidate to place on the watch list. They're not exactly old in a WRX classical sense, but anything +10 years qualifies in my book.

I more closely examined the camber after your mentioning of it. I see what you mean. Perhaps a contributing factor in my ability to get the ball up and away smartly. Quite unlike other 4 irons that I tend to struggle with. But I was striking the ball decently the day I tried it.

Read elsewhere on the internets that the A10's were .355. No matter, need to perform minor surgery to replace a missing ferrule on the 3i. We'll find out once apart. Top of the bore appears coned. I've used standard ferrules on coned bores before with no issues. Have a set of old school Precision Rifle 5.5 shafts waiting for a new home. I always got along nicely with these. Picked them up for next to nothing awhile back. Think they may have been Cally pulls, angled thru-bore tips and rubber o-rings for ferrules. I'll trim off the angle (don't believe it will significantly affect flex, squaring up a 1/4" or so) and install one in the A10 3i for a test drive.

Perhaps I need to make a return recon visit to where I found these last week. Make sure I didn't overlook the remainder of the set. Thx again NRJ for your take on these, I guess..........

I was indeed a fan, especially of the golf balls. I played the Revolution ball a bit, but really jumped all over the A10 and M3 balls. I refer to them as quasi-wound, the wound layer was really no thicker than the mantle of other solid multilayer balls. I found them to be the best balls of that era. They could do it all, and with amazing feel.

But the sheeple did largely ignore them, and TaylorMade acquired Maxfli at the end of 2002.

Might be a reason I tend to like TM golf balls. :)

Amusingly, aside from my brief dalliance with the A10 irons (orig. owner traded to get them back after not too long), I've not played this era of Maxfli irons, the Revolutions or the Australian Blades. I've had a couple opportunities to pick up a set of those particular Aussie Blades, but haven't pulled the proverbial trigger. I even have a set of essentially unhit Revolution irons, but they require reshafting for my use, being DGR shafts, and I keep procrastinating on that.

Funny how that is. Borrowing a quote, "fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony."

I should get off my backside and reshaft these Revs, maybe give them a good run in the bag. Or, find a set of the Aussies and get all over them.

FWIW, I checked the Maltby OEM Shaft Replacement info on GolfWorks. They list all these as .355 shafts. One problem: I know for fact the Revolutions are parallel, having shafted one up myself, and read many accounts of reshafts in 2000-2002. Proceed with caution. :)

I played with the Turfriders today for the first time.

Got a couple of good shots, but in general I couldn't feel as much as I do with the 1956.
Also, I had shots come up really short. Straight, but short. I think it's the extra resistance in the soil from the curved bottom, compared to a flat bottom?

I'll have to get out with my Dynapowereds soon to see if I can notice what's different (and have better luck with my shots).

A set of A10's showed up on the bay today. Quickly had 7 followers and sold almost immediately. Hmmm. Interesting. Might be something to these.

To console myself, went thrifting. Found a Wilson 600 Geo Low putter for a $1.99. Little rough, finish is coming off the head. Maybe a strip and torch candidate?

[attachment=2871146:The Australian #1a.jpg][attachment=2871150:The Australian #2.jpg][attachment=2871152:The Australian #3a.jpg]

I thought I would share with the folks on this forum some of my recent acquisitions. I have acquired a lot of clubs lately however kind of top of the list would be these 6 new additions to my Wood Bros Driver collection. So to start with, here is a very rare WB The Australian that has a DG s400 Shaft and unlike other WB's you may typically see, this has the original hand etched Wood Bros which is Dave Wood's actual writing - hand etched.

Enjoy!

CC

[attachment=2871154:Trevino Texan #1a.jpg][attachment=2871158:Trevino Texan #2.jpg][attachment=2871162:Trevino Texan #3a.jpg]

Here are pictures of a WB Texan that was previously owned and used by Lee Trevino. Very nice club overall, WBW insert and face sitting slightly open for the "patented" cut Trevino played so well! FM 7.0 Precision Rifle Shaft installed..

This was given to Herman Mitchell, Trevino's long time caddie back in the late 80's from Lee. It was not used in competition in the mid 90's as Lee had moved on to Taylor Made and Metal woods but had been used during a number of events when he first acquired the club. Herman sold the Texan in the mid 90's to a collector which eventually has now come to live with me in my collection.

CC

[attachment=2871180:All American #1.jpg][attachment=2871176:All American #2.jpg][attachment=2871178:All American #3.jpg]

Next on the list, a very smart looking All American! This one has a Green True Temper EI-70 R-Flex Carbon Shaft. Likely not one for me to game due to my swing speed, but we shall see!

CC

[attachment=2871182:Texan RWR #1.jpg][attachment=2871184:Texan RWR #2.jpg][attachment=2871186:Texan RWR #3.jpg]

Here is an older model Texan with a rare RWR insert! Dynamic Gold Shaft that appears stiff due to the stepping but shaft band has no markings. Refinished by Dave Wood! Note that there is no loft markings which would make this a custom build for a tour pro. I am waiting for feedback from Dave Wood on this club to see what its background is.

CC