(Football) Soccer thread (English Premier League, Champions League)

apple_crumble

[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1425284598' post='11059151']
[quote name='TheGameChanger' timestamp='1425261530' post='11057477']
Good to see Rooney playing where he belongs.
[/quote]
Hear hear, United's best goal scorer and gets 2......simples! Just need Mata playing number 10 and it will start to look better
[/quote]
x1000

While I am entertained to no end watching the disaster, how UTD can't score with Rooney, Falcao, Di Maria, RVP, Mata, Young is beyond me. Even if they are in 3-2 or 4-3 games they should be able to score goals. while still picking up points against minnows, on current form they look to be heading down the table sooner than later.

I would love to see Liverpool start a season with the form they have worked themselves into the last 2 seasons. Until they have another top class striker I don't see a genuine title challenge coming though. I don't think anyone will ever doubt Balotelli's ability but at this point he is clearly not filling that role even though he is more than capable. I think Rodgers will actually be more comfortable once all the Gerrard stuff is behind him and he no longer has to bend to accommodate the legend. A striker, a defender, and another CM in the summer a must.

Scouse bias? Ugh, maybe you never listen to every word from Neville. Utd's run down lucky road is at it's end. Spurs, Liverpool, Villa, City, Chelsea await you next five games. Utd catching flak in the media is no surprise given the money spent and the awful play from it's stars. Add a host of miracle results and Utd is stayed in the top four with smoke and mirrors. It's not gonna last.

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

Yet United record this season against the top 4 is very good, lost to city that's it! And Neville is anything but bias, heard his lambasting of United this season? And I think United's end came last season but United are like bayern, real and barca just too massive a club to be in the dark too long? Money spent is irrelevant United have pots of it and should be spending that money, Christ were United ffs! And I don't care if we finish top 4 or not, as I've seen worse through the 70s and 80s and I'll be there as always next season........and boy the media in England is very scouse bias, always has been just look at the ex players that are pundits

[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1425585658' post='11084595']
Yet United record this season against the top 4 is very good, lost to city that's it! And Neville is anything but bias, heard his lambasting of United this season? And I think United's end came last season but United are like bayern, real and barca just too massive a club to be in the dark too long? Money spent is irrelevant United have pots of it and should be spending that money, Christ were United ffs! And I don't care if we finish top 4 or not, as I've seen worse through the 70s and 80s and I'll be there as always next season........and boy the media in England is very scouse bias, always has been just look at the ex players that are pundits
[/quote]

Good to see you guys are keeping this thread alive. I hope we beat Arsenal for the next two times we meet. I have little or no confidence against Liverpool as they have suddenly transformed, which is great for them especially post-suraez.

In other news, have you see Jamie Carragher defending LVG? Takes a Liverpool great to defend his former arch-divl while two other United Legends (Scholes/Neville) constantly crucify United.

On a side not, an extremely stupid question:

Can a lower division team ever play in the Champions League? E.g. A third division team wins the FA Cup, then due to that they qualify for the Uefa Cup next season, they then win the Uefa Cup which makes them automatically qualify for the Champions League. Is there a rule against this aside from it being -0% possible?

[quote name='KarstenK' timestamp='1425563552' post='11081997']
Scouse bias? Ugh, maybe you never listen to every word from Neville. Utd's run down lucky road is at it's end. Spurs, Liverpool, Villa, City, Chelsea await you next five games. Utd catching flak in the media is no surprise given the[b] money spent[/b] and the awful play from it's stars. Add a host of miracle results and Utd is stayed in the top four with smoke and mirrors. It's not gonna last.
[/quote]

Speaking about money:

"[color=#282A2F][size=5]"Manchester City won the title, then spent 88 million pounds on new players. Liverpool finished second, then invested 114.8 million pounds. Chelsea have sold well but have paid out 112.8 million pounds since last year. Arsenal's outlay for the same period has been 95 million pounds. United's spending shouldn't come into arguments." [/size][/color]

[color=#282A2F][size=5]By Jamie Carragher.[/size][/color]

[quote name='apple_crumble' timestamp='1425777247' post='11099291']
Scouse bias? Ugh, maybe you never listen to every word from Neville. Utd's run down lucky road is at it's end. Spurs, Liverpool, Villa, City, Chelsea await you next five games. Utd catching flak in the media is no surprise given the[b] money spent[/b] and the awful play from it's stars. Add a host of miracle results and Utd is stayed in the top four with smoke and mirrors. It's not gonna last.
[/quote]

Speaking about money:

"[color=#282A2F][size=5]"Manchester City won the title, then spent 88 million pounds on new players. Liverpool finished second, then invested 114.8 million pounds. Chelsea have sold well but have paid out 112.8 million pounds since last year. Arsenal's outlay for the same period has been 95 million pounds. United's spending shouldn't come into arguments." [/size][/color]

[/quote]

And a scouce defending a manc manager. Surely his bias is well hidden. :)

On the money subject, Liverpool caught all sorts of grief about their signings when they played poorly Sept-Nov this season. Spurs were a train wreck of big signings last year that got nowhere. Money spent compared to table position is ALWAYS going to be an issue. If clubs don't spend big now, they just can't make top 4. It's the new reality sadly. Rich teams have always had the advantage, but even with FFP it's only getting worse.

Callaway Paradym 15*

Titleist SM9 48*

[quote name='apple_crumble' timestamp='1425776976' post='11099265']

Can a lower division team ever play in the Champions League? E.g. A third division team wins the FA Cup, then due to that they qualify for the Uefa Cup next season, they then win the Uefa Cup which makes them automatically qualify for the Champions League. Is there a rule against this aside from it being -0% possible?
[/quote]

You know, that's a great question. I don't see why not. It's probability is zero, but I guess it is allowed.

Callaway Paradym 15*

Titleist SM9 48*

[quote name='apple_crumble' timestamp='1425776858' post='11099253']
[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1425585658' post='11084595']
[/quote]

Good to see you guys are keeping this thread alive. I hope we beat Arsenal for the next two times we meet. I have little or no confidence against Liverpool as they have suddenly transformed, which is great for them especially post-suraez.

In other news, have you see Jamie Carragher defending LVG? Takes a Liverpool great to defend his former arch-divl while two other United Legends (Scholes/Neville) constantly crucify United.
[/quote]
Can't see us beating arsenal tomorrow night but the last thing United need is a reply before spurs and Liverpool. With the spuds winning again the top 4 is near impossible to predict as it will change from week to week. If United avoid defeat at anfield which is unlikely, United will be in pole position as Liverpool and arsenal playing each other after the international break. On a side note, those villa scenes brought back memories of footballs dark side, thankfully it was celebration and not the 80s again.....strange seeing it again as it rarely happens.

[quote name='KarstenK' timestamp='1425778708' post='11099459']

[/quote]

You know, that's a great question. I don't see why not. It's probability is zero, but I guess it is allowed.
[/quote]
Yes, if reading or bradford get to the cup final against a top 4 club this season they will be in the Europa league......then by a miracle win the thing they'll be in the champions league the following year. The Europa league needed a better prize but there's too many games and many teams rather not be in it which is a shame.

[quote name='KarstenK' timestamp='1425778506' post='11099433']
[/quote]

Speaking about money:

[/quote]

On the money subject, Liverpool caught all sorts of grief about their signings when they played poorly Sept-Nov this season. Spurs were a train wreck of big signings last year that got nowhere. Money spent compared to table position is ALWAYS going to be an issue. If clubs don't spend big now, they just can't make top 4. It's the new reality sadly. Rich teams have always had the advantage, but even with FFP it's only getting worse.
[/quote]
True, back in 03 the spending was going back to some kind of reality until Chelsea came along then it went nuts. Then it was bonkers with city in 08 onwards. Ffp has some good points but it seems to protect the massive clubs which isn't good for competition in the long term

[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1425796620' post='11100709']
[/quote]

Speaking about money:

[/quote]

[/quote]
True, back in 03 the spending was going back to some kind of reality until Chelsea came along then it went nuts. Then it was bonkers with city in 08 onwards. Ffp has some good points but it seems to protect the massive clubs which isn't good for competition in the long term
[/quote]
Not sure what point carraher was making, but United's spending is very relevant. United are set to spend eve n more in the summer top 4 or not. Exciting for us supporters as for years United really penny pinched under the glazers when winning titles.........always spend when on top but reality is United had to spend massive to get back to the top. They can't win, got slaughtered by the press for not spending then moaned at when spending £150m.......red tops for you!

[/quote]
I think it would be possible, but they would need to find another stadium to play in, because their normal stadium most likely doesn't hold up to the uefa requirements.

[quote name='Golfingfanatic' timestamp='1425807337' post='11100931']

[/quote]
I think it would be possible, but they would need to find another stadium to play in, because their normal stadium most likely doesn't hold up to the uefa requirements.
[/quote]
Both reading and valley parade (bradford) meet requirements especially readings as its brand new and very modern. Valley parade was done up not too long ago as they were in the premiership for 2 seasons. In fact valley parade produces a cracking atmosphere.....only concern would be the away end that needs a face lift

[/quote]

Speaking about money:

[/quote]

[/quote]
. Ffp has some good points but it seems to protect the massive clubs which isn't good for competition in the long term
[/quote]

100% correct. Luckily we both support big clubs that should always be near the top as the new rules really separate the top 5-6 clubs from everyone else. A club like West Ham or Southampton will never win the league or likely even get top four without a miraculous season. They both had a good first half run, but we all knew they would fade second half. The FA and League cups are their only chances for more $ and glory.

Callaway Paradym 15*

Titleist SM9 48*

[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1425798292' post='11100761']
[/quote]

Speaking about money:

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
Not sure what point carraher was making, but United's spending is very relevant. United are set to spend eve n more in the summer top 4 or not. Exciting for us supporters as for years United really penny pinched under the glazers when winning titles.........always spend when on top but reality is United had to spend massive to get back to the top. They can't win, got slaughtered by the press for not spending then moaned at when spending £150m.......red tops for you!
[/quote]

Yeah JC was defending United's spending in light of other big teams spending as well :)

[quote name='KarstenK' timestamp='1425823227' post='11101479']
[/quote]

Speaking about money:

[/quote]

[/quote]
. Ffp has some good points but it seems to protect the massive clubs which isn't good for competition in the long term
[/quote]

100% correct. Luckily we both support big clubs that should always bear near the top as the new rules really separate the top 5-6 clubs from everyone else. A club like West Ham or Southampton will never win the league or likely even get top four without a miraculous season. They both had a good first half run, but we all knew they would fade second half. The FA and League cups are their only chances for more $ and glory.
[/quote]

Yeah unfortunately, they have great academies but chances of winning a title requires more than just the academy.

I wonder if an English manager would get a knighthood if he helped a non-powerhouse team with the Premier League, Cup and Champions League would get a chance of knighthood?

[quote name='wetdogsmell' timestamp='1425922495' post='11108845']
I watched the Liverpool v Rovers FA Cup tie yesterday. I didn't expect it to end in a tie. I thought Markovic completely crapped the bed. When he was replaced by Balotelli it seemed Rovers were also starting to tire a bit... But nothing ended up hitting the back of the net.
[/quote]

It was an awful performance. Rovers stacked the box and Liverpool couldn't break them down or finish well. They have been so good in the league since Christmas but poor in cups and Europe mostly.

Callaway Paradym 15*

Titleist SM9 48*

[quote name='jrharden' timestamp='1425923232' post='11108925']
I'm just hoping a decent Arsenal team shows up today for the FA cup game against Man U. I don't know if I could stomach another performance like they had against Monaco.
[/quote]

You got your wish! But that was the most pathetic Utd performance in a big cup tie I can remember. So great to see a ref finally punish the blatant dives.

Callaway Paradym 15*

Titleist SM9 48*

[quote name='KarstenK' timestamp='1425937993' post='11110625']
I'm just hoping a decent Arsenal team shows up today for the FA cup game against Man U. I don't know if I could stomach another performance like they had against Monaco.
[/quote]

You got your wish! But that was the most pathetic Utd performance in a big cup tie I can remember. So great to see a ref finally punish the blatant dives.
[/quote]
Ugg......awful, season over in March for the 2nd year running.....club in a mess

[quote name='KarstenK' timestamp='1425937993' post='11110625']
[/quote]

[/quote]

MK...