2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

(Football) Soccer thread (English Premier League, Champions League)

apple_crumble

[quote name='KarstenK' timestamp='1427637327' post='11239123']
Trying to find a way to watch the Gerrard Charity game today. Torres, Suarez, Alonso all back on one squad w/Stevie & Thierry Henry vs. Carragher's picks. An LFC dream team.

As for the Arsenal match...ugh. Of course Sturridge is out AGAIN. The boy is made of glass. Our record at the Emirates is poor and this doesn't help. I would take a draw happily.
[/quote]

Where the f was Mr. Hammer Didi Hamann????

The most underrated German footballer ever, seriously he should have played for a big team, Bayern and Liverpool yes, but why he signed for Newcastle...so confused back then.

Again, would be happy to see Arsenal and Liverpool draw!
As long as this makes it a bit less stressful for United to move up a spot. Still got Chelsea, Arsenal, City... sigh....

[quote name='apple_crumble' timestamp='1427706922' post='11243819']
[quote name='KarstenK' timestamp='1427637327' post='11239123']
Trying to find a way to watch the Gerrard Charity game today. Torres, Suarez, Alonso all back on one squad w/Stevie & Thierry Henry vs. Carragher's picks. An LFC dream team.

As for the Arsenal match...ugh. Of course Sturridge is out AGAIN. The boy is made of glass. Our record at the Emirates is poor and this doesn't help. I would take a draw happily.
[/quote]

Where the f was Mr. Hammer Didi Hamann????

The most underrated German footballer ever, seriously he should have played for a big team, Bayern and Liverpool yes, but why he signed for Newcastle...so confused back then.

Again, would be happy to see Arsenal and Liverpool draw!
As long as this makes it a bit less stressful for United to move up a spot. Still got Chelsea, Arsenal, City... sigh....
[/quote]

True on Didi, several guys more were invited but couldn't play. Dirk Kuyt was another favorite that is hurt and didn't play. It was weird seeing Drogba and John Terry play with Carra's side. Thierry Henry had a sweet pass in front of goal that went for not. He's still very good.

I hate international breaks, nothing good to watch and many players pick up knocks.

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

god, there would have been a treble with this lot together at once...

1042__2541__mew12000_513X307.jpg

Callaway Paradym 15*

Titleist SM9 48*

Would be a crazy combo indeed. It is sad seeing those 2 not in Liverpool even though they were a rival club who smashed us when either of those 2 played. Suarez seems to be immune to injuries (and is only away from games due to his silly bans) and is seriously needed especially when Sturridge's great performances are short lived due to injuries.

And Sterling seems to be a bit edgy with his contract renewal, is he disappointed at his positioning on field and would prefer a move to Madrid?

_82016373_kane_reuters.jpg

One of these days, or perhaps in next year's transfer window... some big club will bid for him. Manchester United and Madrid come knocking?

I don't think Spurs is willing to let him go without some crazy hefty fee and the English nationality premium, it would be more than I am happy to see United pay.

Also, if any big clubs do acquire him, I hope they let him play consistently. Anyone remember Jack Rodwell? City let him rot on the bench. Sad.

One of these days, or perhaps in next year's transfer window... some big club will bid for him. Manchester United and Madrid come knocking?

I don't think Spurs is willing to let him go without some crazy hefty fee and the English nationality premium, it would be more than I am happy to see United pay.

Also, if any big clubs do acquire him, I hope they let him play consistently. Anyone remember Jack Rodwell? City let him rot on the bench. Sad.

If Falcao is leaving (which is more than likely, even though I have tremendous praise for his work ethic and hard working rate ever since his injury and I still hope LVG would give him more playing time but is unlikely), then Kane would be a good fit with less wage demands for the time. Like how Bale is the most expensive player but his wages are not high compared to the rest.

United would have to offer upwards of £50m for Harry Kane, and Spurs would want a bit more than that. But ultimately, I fear if Kane came to United and LVG doesn't use him right then he would rot on the bench, or if he fits well into LVG's plans then he would be a huge asset but won't score as much as before. Still, Kane needs another year at Spurs, not to show he is already a good player but Spurs allows players to develop into consistent performers before they are sadly sold to a bigger club.

As much as I want him to come to United and as much as we need a quality striker like him, our team might ultimately let him down. So Madrid would probably be a better opportunity, but seeing how low some of their fans are towards Bale...

If Falcao is leaving (which is more than likely, even though I have tremendous praise for his work ethic and hard working rate ever since his injury and I still hope LVG would give him more playing time but is unlikely), then Kane would be a good fit with less wage demands for the time. Like how Bale is the most expensive player but his wages are not high compared to the rest.

United would have to offer upwards of £50m for Harry Kane, and Spurs would want a bit more than that. But ultimately, I fear if Kane came to United and LVG doesn't use him right then he would rot on the bench, or if he fits well into LVG's plans then he would be a huge asset but won't score as much as before. Still, Kane needs another year at Spurs, not to show he is already a good player but Spurs allows players to develop into consistent performers before they are sadly sold to a bigger club.

As much as I want him to come to United and as much as we need a quality striker like him, our team might ultimately let him down. So Madrid would probably be a better opportunity, but seeing how low some of their fans are towards Bale...

I say that if he goes anywhere in England it will be United. United will splash big money at Spurs and they have a history of cashing in on their talent. The only English clubs with a ton of money to spend this summer are United and maybe City if they unload some players. There's a ton of talk about the boy, whether he is just having a wonder season and will crash back to earth, or if he is capable of several great years ahead. Never really showed this kind of form before at any level.

Callaway Paradym 15*

Titleist SM9 48*

Would be a crazy combo indeed. It is sad seeing those 2 not in Liverpool even though they were a rival club who smashed us when either of those 2 played. Suarez seems to be immune to injuries (and is only away from games due to his silly bans) and is seriously needed especially when Sturridge's great performances are short lived due to injuries.

And Sterling seems to be a bit edgy with his contract renewal, is he disappointed at his positioning on field and would prefer a move to Madrid?

It's a big topic right now for LFC. Stupid rumors abound right now about it that are fueling unrest with the fans. So nobody really knows what he is thinking because he is keeping quiet. Henderson is renegotiating also, but he said publicly that he wants to came back. Sterling could just say that and all the unease would end. if he thinks he will star at RM, Bayern, or a top three EPL club he is delusional and is being goaded by his agent. He is gifted with speed, but average to below average in all other skills. His touch is poor and shooting is awful.

Callaway Paradym 15*

Titleist SM9 48*

[quote name='apple_crumble' timestamp='1427762202' post='11249031']
Also, looking back at last season, is it me or did every Premier League manager respect David Moyes? Seriously, Rogers, Wenger, Mourinho, Pellegrini were super polite to him.
[/quote]

Moyes earned respect at Neverton and is a good coach. Was poor timing for him last year to go to united and he was treated poorly there. It wasn't a surprise really. Any new manger that didn't go top two after Fergie left was gonna get torn apart by all the glory hunters.

Callaway Paradym 15*

Titleist SM9 48*

Sterling, like Kane, should stay where they are and wait a few years to show that they are indeed true gems.
Sterling especially will not be starting at any top team in Europe not RM not Barca not Juventus and certainly not Bayern. Kane is killing it right now so he might have a chance, stirling has speed and what else? AFAIR Lennon and Walcott are fast too and where are they now?

Moves, for me I'm happy that he left United and he's doing well at Sociedad. Picking him for United I think was one of SAF bad decisions with all the pressure that Moyes had to handle.

Is a London lad and wants to go back....arsenal maybe

[quote name='KarstenK' timestamp='1427809467' post='11252067']
Also, looking back at last season, is it me or did every Premier League manager respect David Moyes? Seriously, Rogers, Wenger, Mourinho, Pellegrini were super polite to him.
[/quote]

Moyes earned respect at Neverton and is a good coach. Was poor timing for him last year to go to united and he was treated poorly there. It wasn't a surprise really. Any new manger that didn't go top two after Fergie left was gonna get torn apart by all the glory hunters.
[/quote]
Moyes was well treated by the match going supporters and well supported, many of us wanted him to stay and see what he could do with his team. Van persie, vidic and Rio were in truth a disgrace the way they behaved. However, moyes did a bad job as United were champions and finished 7th.....was like a rabbit in the headlights. But not all his fault, players downed tools and fergie didn't help with his book and Rooney saga! But you say glory hunters, you do know United have over 30,000 season ticket holders with m postcodes.....more than any other club. United since the war have had the highest att. Each season even in 74 after relegation (55k).....grinds my gears people saying glory hunters when us mancs support through thick and thin in massive numbers. I mean the away support pisses every other team away simply second to none and has always been the case

[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1427817863' post='11253079']
[quote name='KarstenK' timestamp='1427809467' post='11252067']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Moyes was well treated by the match going supporters and well supported, many of us wanted him to stay and see what he could do with his team. Van persie, vidic and Rio were in truth a disgrace the way they behaved. However, moyes did a bad job as United were champions and finished 7th.....was like a rabbit in the headlights. But not all his fault, players downed tools and fergie didn't help with his book and Rooney saga! But you say glory hunters, you do know United have over 30,000 season ticket holders with m postcodes.....more than any other club. United since the war have had the highest att. Each season even in 74 after relegation (55k).....grinds my gears people saying glory hunters when us mancs support through thick and thin in massive numbers. I mean the away support pisses every other team away simply second to none and has always been the case
[/quote]

Your travelling support is unquestioned. Keane had that great quote I always remember about a big part of the Old Trafford crowd there for the prawn sandwiches and couldn't care less about the game. It's the support outside of Manchester I'm talking about. The plastics like so many Chelsea fans that don't know &*^$ about football and move from supporting one team to the next depending on who is top of the table. They exist in most top clubs, just some teams' "supporters" are much more annoying than others. I've heard the Liverpool plastics that have been ranting all year to fire Rodgers for every reason imaginable.

Callaway Paradym 15*

Titleist SM9 48*

Super big games tonight guys. Arsenal play Liverpool at home in what will be a contributing factor to the top four race, while United battle Villa at home.

I think Arsenal might have the edge with their game while Villa could pull off an upset, hopefully the momentum and formation United have had could be persistent.

That was some crazy 8 minute blitz attack from Arsenal. Herrera did very well against Villa.
My only concern is that this is the calm before the storm because we have those loud neighbours Man City and Chelsea back to back. Both will be very tough games and I am sure City will bounce back from their recent slump.

Although Liverpool are 8 points behind (I think?), when their injury and suspension woes are over they could bounce back. Their string of games are a lot easier than United's.

To sum it up, Arsenal and United are in superb form, and Chelsea is getting very close to winning the title (which I hope they do).

But I still think the top 3 spots won't last long for United, yes I'm a pessimist... If we beat City and draw or beat Chelsea, then definitely top 3.

Man City lose to Palace! Confidence boost for United with their win against Villa? I reckon so... But with Uniteds next 2 games being City and Chelsea I just hope they can maintain this new found confidence. I must say Arsenal is playing some tremendous football at the moment.

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe