2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

(Football) Soccer thread (English Premier League, Champions League)

apple_crumble

Reading very easily could have pulled off the same thing that Villa did to Liverpool. They both gave 110% but Arsenal just got a few lucky breaks to nip ahead of Reading. I absolutely loved watching Villa take down Liverpool.

Chelsea can be tough to watch at times but I have to admit their counterattacking tactic works. Very efficient in making their few chances count. I think Luke Shaw was probably the best player for United. I hope Smalling plays when Arsenal head to Old Trafford :)

Reading very easily could have pulled off the same thing that Villa did to Liverpool. They both gave 110% but Arsenal just got a few lucky breaks to nip ahead of Reading. I absolutely loved watching Villa take down Liverpool.

Chelsea can be tough to watch at times but I have to admit their counterattacking tactic works. Very efficient in making their few chances count. I think Luke Shaw was probably the best player for United. I hope Smalling plays when Arsenal head to Old Trafford :)

[quote name='wetdogsmell' timestamp='1429537516' post='11396985'] Reading very easily could have pulled off the same thing that Villa did to Liverpool. They both gave 110% but Arsenal just got a few lucky breaks to nip ahead of Reading. I absolutely loved watching Villa take down Liverpool. Chelsea can be tough to watch at times but I have to admit their counterattacking tactic works. Very efficient in making their few chances count. I think Luke Shaw was probably the best player for United. I hope Smalling plays when Arsenal head to Old Trafford :) [/quote]

Forwards will win you games and defences will win titles, an old saying that still holds true and if you were to compile the best defence in the league at least 3 of them would be Chelsea players.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

[quote name='wetdogsmell' timestamp='1429537516' post='11396985'] Reading very easily could have pulled off the same thing that Villa did to Liverpool. They both gave 110% but Arsenal just got a few lucky breaks to nip ahead of Reading. I absolutely loved watching Villa take down Liverpool. Chelsea can be tough to watch at times but I have to admit their counterattacking tactic works. Very efficient in making their few chances count. I think Luke Shaw was probably the best player for United. I hope Smalling plays when Arsenal head to Old Trafford :) [/quote]

Forwards will win you games and defences will win titles, an old saying that still holds true and if you were to compile the best defence in the league at least 3 of them would be Chelsea players.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

[quote name='HoffTTM' timestamp='1429541189' post='11397389']

[/quote]

The 3 defensive players I would take from Chelsea would be:
[indent=1]Matic[/indent]
[indent=1]Ivanovic[/indent]
[indent=1]Azpiliqueta[/indent]

That is 3 areas where Arsenal really haven't had a solid 1st team player for some time.
DM- Getting Coquelin back as a DM has been an eye opener and is evidence that this was a missing piece of the puzzle for years.
RB- Sagna was a solid right back but he moved on to Man City. Debuchy has had a horrible year with injuries. Bellerin could be great but is a bit young.
LB- Nacho Monreal is my first pick at left back at this point. He has passed Gibbs in the pecking order. Neither are "World Class".

[quote name='HoffTTM' timestamp='1429541189' post='11397389']

[/quote]
Until you play in CL where Terry and Cahill are so slow and get pulled everywhere.....play them 2 next season Chelsea have massive problems

[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1430239835' post='11458889']
Only a few positives.....we always lose at goodison, Rooney is injured, scousers slipped up as well.....apart from that it was utter s***!
[/quote]

Hull 1-0 Liverpool

Right now we're relying on Liverpool and Tottenham to drop points...
Liverpool/Spurs/Southampton are all very close to knocking Man Utd off 4th place, we have to win against West Brom. A 1-0 boring result would do as long as we get 3 points. If Dea Gea really wants to leave, at least do a Suarez and sign a contract so your sale would cost more. But I'm a novice when it comes to these contract advantages, maybe by not signing his Real Madrid wage would be higher.

Also, I'm sure Valdes is ready to stand in if De Gea leaves.

[quote name='apple_crumble' timestamp='1430291168' post='11463763']
[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1430239835' post='11458889']
Only a few positives.....we always lose at goodison, Rooney is injured, scousers slipped up as well.....apart from that it was utter s***!
[/quote]

Hull 1-0 Liverpool

Right now we're relying on Liverpool and Tottenham to drop points...
Liverpool/Spurs/Southampton are all very close to knocking Man Utd off 4th place, we have to win against West Brom. A 1-0 boring result would do as long as we get 3 points. If Dea Gea really wants to leave, at least do a Suarez and sign a contract so your sale would cost more. But I'm a novice when it comes to these contract advantages, maybe by not signing his Real Madrid wage would be higher.

Also, I'm sure Valdes is ready to stand in if De Gea leaves.
[/quote]
Was told by a Manchester evening news journalist that ge gea has gone to Madrid.....but he suspects a player is coming the other way (no idea who). Will be a few moving in and out during the summer

[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1430410155' post='11473509']
[quote name='Jonesy' timestamp='1430381514' post='11471209']
De Gea gone???? That doesn't bode well for United :'(
[/quote]
Ha ha.....now it's big news here in the sunny north west of England that he's staying! Lesson here......don't listen to journalists they know as much as we do
[/quote]

I hope he stay's! He's really grown as a player at United and has been integral in a couple performances. I'm still frustrated with the west brom game... it's all good and well saying that the deflection and goal was lucky but United dominated most of that game and couldn't find the goal once??? And why on earth did RVP take that penalty???

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

Went into the game buzzing, met scholes and had a little chat! But I was fuming coming out.....playing big bird up top and Rooney and van persie in midfield???? Sorry it was a shambles and quite frankly I don't care about top 4 if this is what's getting served up. Lucky to win any of the last 3 games but it still might be enough as I can't see the scousers winning all 3 either....That's how bad it's got. Can't wait til season ends

[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1430750991' post='11494963']
Went into the game buzzing, met scholes and had a little chat! But I was fuming coming out.....playing big bird up top and Rooney and van persie in midfield???? Sorry it was a shambles and quite frankly I don't care about top 4 if this is what's getting served up. Lucky to win any of the last 3 games but it still might be enough as I can't see the scousers winning all 3 either....That's how bad it's got. Can't wait til season ends
[/quote]

Meeting Scholes must have been amazing! But yeah the longer the game went on the more frustrated and angry I got... I must say I agree with you about wanting the season to end, it's been a majority of dismal displays from United, I just hope they win the last 3 to take some confidence into next season.

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1430816183' post='11501161']
[quote name='Nick6771' timestamp='1430816060' post='to be 1501155']
You boys have it easy at the top of the league. The relegation issue is far more exciting (gulp)......
[/quote]
Villa are fine.....wish we had cleverly back seems to be playing well....also benteke up top what a class act he is
[/quote]

Goodness, we got owned by Everton, and then Villa shows us how to beat them. Villa definitely deserves and should be in the PL next season, perhaps even more.

Nick, if by a huge miracle we overcome Palace and at the same time Liverpool loses to Chelsea, does this mean we automatically qualify for the Champions League?

[quote name='apple_crumble' timestamp='1430882672' post='11507637']
You boys have it easy at the top of the league. The relegation issue is far more exciting (gulp)......
[/quote]
Villa are fine.....wish we had cleverly back seems to be playing well....also benteke up top what a class act he is
[/quote]

Goodness, we got owned by Everton, and then Villa shows us how to beat them. Villa definitely deserves and should be in the PL next season, perhaps even more.

Nick, if by a huge miracle we overcome Palace and at the same time Liverpool loses to Chelsea, does this mean we automatically qualify for the Champions League?
[/quote]
Yep!

[quote name='scruffynick' timetamp='1430928460' post='11510167']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yep!
[/quote]
The odd thing is that United could lose all 3 games and still finish 4th......Liverpool have to win all 3 which includes Chelsea and stoke away. Might get in with a few draws, but hoping hull win Burnley on Saturday so they have naff all to play for when United play them on the last game of season......but it's United and it will go to the wire as normal and I'm not confident of getting any win at present time

[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1430928460' post='11510167']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yep!
[/quote]

Yus!! I hope we do.

Huge signing. First of a big summer main question is. With so many expected targets coming in, who to let go? I see Young, Mata, Janujaz, maybe De Gea, and probably even more players that will be tough to say goodbye to , but I trust LVG

Driver -  PXG Gen5 0311 XF 12* - PX Cypher 50 R

5 Wood -  Taylormade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue R

Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW - True Temper S

Wedges - Titleist SM8 52* 56* 

Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Special Select - 33" 

[quote name='JWells' timestamp='1431096220' post='11522823']
Huge signing. First of a big summer main question is. With so many expected targets coming in, who to let go? I see Young, Mata, Janujaz, maybe De Gea, and probably even more players that will be tough to say goodbye to , but I trust LVG
[/quote]
Young has had a very good season and has signed an extension to his contract so he's going nowhere. But young Arden I feel will leave on loan or permanently......Mata will be interesting as when the chips are down the lad is useless at covering back. Hopefully ge gea will stay but if United lose tomorrow and top 4 is bottled he'll leave, that's how much they fooked up on Saturday.....utter shambles watching that mess. I'm still hoping mad about Saturday!!!!!