(Football) Soccer thread (English Premier League, Champions League)

apple_crumble

I missed most of the game but caught the hilites and I must say that was the most poorly reffed and played game I've seen... How costa was not sent off the pitch is beyond me... In the interest of fair football and consistency for either team (in terms of referee decisions) I saw none of that in that game, mike dean did a shocker of a job. To hear chelsea fans gloating about that win makes me so grumpy.

On to more important things, Martial is changing critics minds very quickly! Heck he's changing my mind! I did doubt him but I'm so glad he's proving himself. I must say Southampton have a great attack, Pelle is just ridiculous in the air

I also enjoyed the Swansea/Everton game this past weekend, was just good to watch.

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

City with a loss! Always nice to see! I was hoping Leicester would continue their unbeaten form but Arsenal proved too strong in the end.... the real treat of the weekend was watching Chelsea slump to 15th on the log

Titleist 910D3 9.5°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

I'm curious, of those that are American and follow the premiere league, do you have a favorite team, and how did you decide that they were your favorite. Just curious as i root for area teams in the US, and have started getting into sat morning premiere league matches, but don't have a favorite team not that I need one, but would be nice to follow one team.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

[quote name='HoosierMizuno' timestamp='1443461250' post='12378894']
I'm curious, of those that are American and follow the premiere league, do you have a favorite team, and how did you decide that they were your favorite. Just curious as i root for area teams in the US, and have started getting into sat morning premiere league matches, but don't have a favorite team not that I need one, but would be nice to follow one team.
[/quote]
Strange being a footy supporter and who you choose as a kid......most it's their local team, or it's because your dad supported a certain team but now you can watch any game anywhere in the world, some just get attached to a team and it can be any reason...........it just comes within and for 2 hours you lose any sense and become tribal! For me (even though I hate it at times that I feel like I do) I just need the nervous tension during the big games, and when United score a last grasp winner......boy, nothing compares especially in the Stretford End!

[/quote]
I'm from the U.S. It started off with a discussion about FIFA 2004 during a U14 practice. I was talking with my Scottish coach at the time, and I said, "That's Henry on the cover, right?" Then my coach corrected me and said, "It's pronounced Henry (ahn-ree), son." I was embarassed, obviously, but curiousity got the best of me. I started watching every Thierry Henry video I could find online, and he soon became the biggest influence regarding my growth in the sport.

At the time, the U.S. didn't have the coverage of international soccer leagues like we do now with NBC broadcasting EPL games, then FOX Soccer Channel came to my parent's Dish subcription. I started watching every game I could because I was infatuated with how much faster and better European soccer was compared to the U.S. Since I had decided Henry was my favorite player, I naturally gravitated towards Arsenal, and I've been a gooner ever since. I Wish Arsenal had a striker that was even half as good as Henry...Walcott or Girioud aren't even close.

Here is the cover of the game:

[/quote]

I started liking Arsenal I guess it comes down to the managing style. They play fluid and beautiful attacking football. They try to develop their youth. They don't spend ridiculous amounts of money on players.

Manchester United fan here. I got hooked when Beckham was the star. I watch the EPL every weekend. Even went to Old Trafford for a match once.

PING G400 MAX driver, 10.5*, Tour 65 shaft
PING K15 3 wood, TFC 149F shaft
PING G15 hybrid, 23*, TFC 149H shaft
PING G400 irons, 5-U, AWT 2.0 steel shafts
PING Eye 2 XG SW and LW, TFC 149I shaft
PING Zing 5 KS stainless steel putter

Well a midweek loss for Arsenal I doubt it will play much of a role in the upcoming game against United this Sunday... I'm very intrigued to see if Rooney even starts given his performance on Wednesday... Excited for the Liverpool v Everton game and I'm hoping Everton pull through! The Swansea v Tottenham game I'm also hoping makes for some good viewing.

Titleist 910D3 9.5°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

[quote name='Jonesy' timestamp='1443777585' post='12399438']
Well a midweek loss for Arsenal I doubt it will play much of a role in the upcoming game against United this Sunday... I'm very intrigued to see if Rooney even starts given his performance on Wednesday... Excited for the Liverpool v Everton game and I'm hoping Everton pull through! The Swansea v Tottenham game I'm also hoping makes for some good viewing.
[/quote]
Rooney will start, shouldn't do but he will. But it's arsenal and rooney always scores against arsenal.........glad I'm not in work on Monday with these 2 games on!

[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1443798980' post='12400426']
[/quote]
Rooney will start, shouldn't do but he will. But it's arsenal and rooney always scores against arsenal.........glad I'm not in work on Monday with these 2 games on!
[/quote]

Well that was embarrassing... did United even know that the game had started?

Titleist 910D3 9.5°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

[quote name='Jonesy' timestamp='1444039656' post='12411532']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Had to wait a day just to have a reply that won't get banned!!! So bad day, move on and hope van gaal learns the following......play Jones ffs, play blind at left back for crying out load, play schielderlin each game and for the love of God drop rooney as he's playing gash! 2 of those goals yesterday wouldn't have happened with the above, but to be fair arsenal are just better than United and gave us a real spanking!

[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1444064174' post='12412972']
[quote name='Jonesy' timestamp='1444039656' post='12411532']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Had to wait a day just to have a reply that won't get banned!!! So bad day, move on and hope van gaal learns the following......play Jones ffs, play blind at left back for crying out load, play schielderlin each game and for the love of God drop rooney as he's playing gash! 2 of those goals yesterday wouldn't have happened with the above, but to be fair arsenal are just better than United and gave us a real spanking!
[/quote]

Agreed on all of the above, I really don't know how Rooney got the nod to start considering his current form, that was a big mistake. Our defense has been coming right lately but Arsenal just tore it apart... really poor from United and I hope van gaal has learnt something here...

Titleist 910D3 9.5°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

[quote name='TheGameChanger' timestamp='1445820035' post='12505964']
So who is going to replace LVG next season?

Pep would be my choice.
[/quote]
I think pep wants London, think he'll extend his contract with bayern by a year and replace wegner at arsenal. I honesty think giggs will take over as the whole club has changed and he's part of the new direction, but van gaal will be doing another year after this anyway. On another note, the manc derby was well zzzzzzzzz, glad I went straight to pub after watching that

[quote name='Jonesy' timestamp='1447064950' post='12573300']
Chelsea really putting on a good performance in defending their title, I hope they sneak into the relegation zone.
[/quote]
Ha ha worse than moyes! And if Rodgers takes over, boy the chavs will go into meltdown! I actually tipped Chelsea for the title again.......glad I didn't put alot of money on it

[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1447194976' post='12581196']
Chelsea really putting on a good performance in defending their title, I hope they sneak into the relegation zone.
[/quote]
Ha ha worse than moyes! And if Rodgers takes over, boy the chavs will go into meltdown! I actually tipped Chelsea for the title again.......glad I didn't put alot of money on it
[/quote]

I believe Moyes has just been fired from his spanish team, maybe Abramovich will be considering Moyes for the position haha... Whoever has put substantial money down on Chelsea retaining the title must be an absolute wreck at the moment

Titleist 910D3 9.5°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

[quote name='Jonesy' timestamp='1447237402' post='12583282']
[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1447194976' post='12581196']
[/quote]
[/quote]

I believe Moyes has just been fired from his spanish team, maybe Abramovich will be considering Moyes for the position haha... Whoever has put substantial money down on Chelsea retaining the title must be an absolute wreck at the moment
[/quote]
Moyes is a good manager, just wrong time at United. I actually liked him but he was like a rabbit in the headlights and just fooked it up! But moyes at villa or Newcastle would be a great fit, as he'll do what he did at Everton which in truth was an outstanding job

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...