(Football) Soccer thread (English Premier League, Champions League)

apple_crumble

[quote name='Golfingfanatic' timestamp='1425940894' post='11110883']
Di Maria showing he was well worth that 60mil price tag..NOT
[/quote]

Agree, he has that look of ...."But I was SO good in La Liga"

Here's a tip Angel, stay on your feet and play a little defense.

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

[quote name='apple_crumble' timestamp='1425941591' post='11110949']
I just realised this is a huge morale booster for the Gunners before the Monaco game.
[/quote]
Maybe, having to win by two in Monaco is a big ask though. They didn't look that great tonight really, Utd could have really been thrashed. Arsenal's defense is shaky, especially versus speed.

Callaway Paradym 15*

Titleist SM9 48*

Boom! COYG! Just finished the game (had it recorded while I was at work).

That was a nervous 20 minutes. De Gea is a beast. Got to give him credit.

Arsenal were shaky down the right hand side with the young right backs (Bellerin and Chambers). Ozil tracked back just enough to help out. Really surprised at how well they handled the long balls up to Fellaini.

I still don't think they will have enough to overcome Monaco. Would be awesome to pull off though!

[quote name='wetdogsmell' timestamp='1425954193' post='11112227']
Boom! COYG! Just finished the game (had it recorded while I was at work).

That was a nervous 20 minutes. De Gea is a beast. Got to give him credit.

Arsenal were shaky down the right hand side with the young right backs (Bellerin and Chambers). Ozil tracked back just enough to help out. Really surprised at how well they handled the long balls up to Fellaini.

I still don't think they will have enough to overcome Monaco. Would be awesome to pull off though!
[/quote]
Better for us that you go through, thought the gooner support last night was excellent made the atmosphere very good. 1st half was a cracking cup tie but both teams subs seemed to buggar themselves, but arsenal were by far the better team. United lacked guts and that's the disappointment, quarters of the fa cup and no one really seemed bothered. No chance on top 4, and I'm truth past caring United aren't good enough........just has the feel of United under Dave section...boring!

[quote name='TheGameChanger' timestamp='1425991712' post='11113863']
Moyes only got Mata in January and Fellani. LVG Got Di Maria,Shaw,Rojo,Falcao,Blind,Herrara. IMO LVG is worse. I hope he gets Sacked. Pep would be my 1st choice then SImeone from Athletico Madrid,
[/quote]
Strong rumours flying around this morning that United top brass want to start from scratch with a United man. Hughes is strongly being mentioned as stokes (stoke city owner) said he wouldn't stand in sparkys way. Interesting, would be popular as Hughes plays decent 442 football and he's a huge legend at the club.......but I just can't see van gaal being sacked, only happen if he resigned. But I do like the starting from scratch idea (pains me to say it) like liverpool have done with Rodgers. Well shall wait and see, as I'm not bothered at all about top 4 just want to see some attacking football win lose or draw

[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1425997787' post='11114423']
[quote name='TheGameChanger' timestamp='1425991712' post='11113863']
Moyes only got Mata in January and Fellani. LVG Got Di Maria,Shaw,Rojo,Falcao,Blind,Herrara. IMO LVG is worse. I hope he gets Sacked. Pep would be my 1st choice then SImeone from Athletico Madrid,
[/quote]
Strong rumours flying around this morning that United top brass want to start from scratch with a United man. Hughes is strongly being mentioned as stokes (stoke city owner) said he wouldn't stand in sparkys way. Interesting, would be popular as Hughes plays decent 442 football and he's a huge legend at the club.......but I just can't see van gaal being sacked, only happen if he resigned. But I do like the starting from scratch idea (pains me to say it) like liverpool have done with Rodgers. Well shall wait and see, as I'm not bothered at all about top 4 just want to see some attacking football win lose or draw
[/quote]

That could work, but I also want Giggsy to absorb as much as he could from LVG then intern again at another club for a big manager, then come back to United. (e.g. what the Special One did with Sir Bobby and LVG). I would personally love it if Pep came to United after LVG, seriously love it. But I'm worried if he might want his sabbatical once every 5 years, that could potentially de-stablize the club.

No one else is watching the end of this Chelsea / PSG game....holy smokes what a game.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

That PSG game made me almost wet myself in pure joy. Down to 10 men and they outplayed that despicable side. Poetic justice.

Callaway Paradym 15*

Titleist SM9 48*

[quote name='wetdogsmell' timestamp='1426268204' post='11136813']
What's up with Falcao? Any ideas on why he is struggling to bang in goals in the PL? That's a lot of coin to leave sitting on the bench! Now that Rooney is scoring, maybe they will play Falcao in the midfield :)
[/quote]
Bad bad injury and he's lost pace....understandable, but basically he's been woeful. Trying very very hard as he really wants it to work and the supporters love him......I think he'll come good after a good pre season but the money wanted, yikes! Unless it goes down to £15m he ain't at United next season. Pitty as a falcao pre injury with Rooney would be something

[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1426283975' post='11138447']
[quote name='wetdogsmell' timestamp='1426268204' post='11136813']
What's up with Falcao? Any ideas on why he is struggling to bang in goals in the PL? That's a lot of coin to leave sitting on the bench! Now that Rooney is scoring, maybe they will play Falcao in the midfield :)
[/quote]
Bad bad injury and he's lost pace....understandable, but basically he's been woeful. Trying very very hard as he really wants it to work and the supporters love him......I think he'll come good after a good pre season but the money wanted, yikes! Unless it goes down to £15m he ain't at United next season. Pitty as a falcao pre injury with Rooney would be something
[/quote]

I think Falcao at his current rate should sell for around £15 or less. Whether his billionaire agent Mendes and Monaco would agree is another matter. Di Maria as well, his form was completely different from the start of the season. It seems like the only South American arrival doing well is Rojo.

I don't want us to turn to Tottenham again for buying someone as we once did with Berba and Carrick (great buys btw). Imagine if United placed a bid for Kane. Probably £50m~.

[quote name='Golfingfanatic' timestamp='1426290765' post='11138993']
If I were United I'd sell di Maria and Falcao. I'd buy Marquinhos and a decent right back NOT Dani Alves though. If I had to go for a striker I'd try to lure Benzema away from Madrid
[/quote]
[quote name='jrharden' timestamp='1426294849' post='11139457']
I saw an article that Falco was playing with the U21's this week, to get some game time.
[/quote]

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54LovoopcA8[/media]

[quote name='apple_crumble' timestamp='1426326277' post='11140991']
Btw, could someone please answer me this?

Why was Luis Suarez hailed as a hero at home after his team left the World Cup? For biting another player, but get this.... Becks was hated when he returned home after the 98 WC for his actions? What was the main difference?
[/quote]

Well, it's like most things, people support their team, nation, political party, etc and mostly ignore the less savory actions their side commits. It's simple PoV and most folks justify actions that if done by an opposing side would be criticized. It's tribal. As a Liverpool supporter I was appalled when Suarez bit Ivanovic, but did I rant online that he is an animal? No. Part of me was happy it was vs. Chelsea at least. Do I hate Costa even if he saves 100 orphans from a fire today? Yes.

I don't remember many United supporters hating Beckham.

Add that in the WC it's another level of intensity being that it's national. A small South American country (URU) vs a major European football power (ITA), being played in South America. Suarez could have bitten a finger off of Chellini, it would have been justified somehow in Uruguay.

I will say that at least in Europe, football fans behave ALOT better on the whole than they did a generation ago.

Callaway Paradym 15*

Titleist SM9 48*

Why was Luis Suarez hailed as a hero at home after his team left the World Cup? For biting another player, but get this.... Becks was hated when he returned home after the 98 WC for his actions? What was the main difference?
[/quote]
Brits were looking for a scapegoat, the Uruguayan were not?
Ronaldo also got booed a lot for calling that red card from Rooney right?

[quote name='KarstenK' timestamp='1426337341' post='11141273']

[/quote]

Well, it's like most things, people support their team, nation, political party, etc and mostly ignore the less savory actions their side commits. It's simple PoV and most folks justify actions that if done by an opposing side would be criticized. It's tribal. As a Liverpool supporter I was appalled when Suarez bit Ivanovic, but did I rant online that he is an animal? No. Part of me was happy it was vs. Chelsea at least. Do I hate Costa even if he saves 100 orphans from a fire today? Yes.

I don't remember many United supporters hating Beckham.

Add that in the WC it's another level of intensity being that it's national. A small South American country (URU) vs a major European football power (ITA), being played in South America. Suarez could have bitten a finger off of Chellini, it would have been justified somehow in Uruguay.

I will say that at least in Europe, football fans behave ALOT better on the whole than they did a generation ago.
[/quote]

They do, not including the Chelsea Paris incident. The FA/Uefa take things a lot more seriously now with stadium/fan bans.

[quote name='wetdogsmell' timestamp='1426379962' post='11144389']
Really good performance from Burnley today! They really worked hard for the win.
[/quote]

A real upset, this essentially puts Arsenal with a possible 2nd spot chance.
Imagine if Chelsea dropped points, and Arsenal somehow reached top spot on the last day.