(Football) Soccer thread (English Premier League, Champions League)

apple_crumble

[quote name='apple_crumble' timestamp='1423701875' post='10934977']
[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1423692412' post='10933841']
Manage to get a Canadian link for the game but how on earth did United go 2-1 up at half time. That is the worse United performance I've seen since Big Ron's days back in 86......it was awful! Much improved 2nd half, but my god the front 2 are woeful again, ronney isn't a midfield player at all and if I go on about evans, I'll be here all friggin night! God knows what me dad was saying tonight at the match.....glad I wasn't around to be honest ha ha
[/quote]

We need to find 2 highly rated strikers for next season...
[/quote]

Who doesn't? We've been playing with a comedy of strikers upfront all year after Suarez. Sturridge is always getting hurt, Sterling is fast but can't finish. Everyone else, meh. You Utd boys have serious payroll right now but I can't tell what the heck the team identity is or what the system is. You have a tough run of games soon so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

[quote name='KarstenK' timestamp='1423708283' post='10935711']
Manage to get a Canadian link for the game but how on earth did United go 2-1 up at half time. That is the worse United performance I've seen since Big Ron's days back in 86......it was awful! Much improved 2nd half, but my god the front 2 are woeful again, ronney isn't a midfield player at all and if I go on about evans, I'll be here all friggin night! God knows what me dad was saying tonight at the match.....glad I wasn't around to be honest ha ha
[/quote]

[/quote]

Who doesn't? We've been playing with a comedy of strikers upfront all year after Suarez. Sturridge is always getting hurt, Sterling is fast but can't finish. Everyone else, meh. You Utd boys have serious payroll right now but I can't tell what the heck the team identity is or what the system is. You have a tough run of games soon so it will be interesting to see how it goes.
[/quote]

What do you think about Balotelli and Sturridge playing up top together? I thought Balotelli's debut was pretty good and looked like it could be a great partnership. I don't think they've played together after Balo's debut, but I could be wrong.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Team identity so far: full of great players deployed in random positions, only De Gea is playing correctly. LVG arguing with Big Sam, w.t.f. Why lower himself?

It will not be interesting because I'm certain Liverpool will punish United at Anfield, Swansea too.
I will also refuse to get off my superstition high horse because United will not do well if they wear their white kit against Liverpool, they need to wear Blue.

[quote name='mnplayer' timestamp='1423710616' post='10936023']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What do you think about Balotelli and Sturridge playing up top together? I thought Balotelli's debut was pretty good and looked like it could be a great partnership. I don't think they've played together after Balo's debut, but I could be wrong.
[/quote]

Suarez took some time before he hit super form, maybe the same could happen to Balo. He scored an important goal and that will be a huge boost for him, if he works super hard (which he already is) and continues that way, then the Ballon D'Or (nah wtf am I talking about..) ///

[quote name='apple_crumble' timestamp='1423728542' post='10937065']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Team identity so far: full of great players deployed in random positions, only De Gea is playing correctly. LVG arguing with Big Sam, w.t.f. Why lower himself?

It will not be interesting because I'm certain Liverpool will punish United at Anfield, Swansea too.
I will also refuse to get off my superstition high horse because United will not do well if they wear their white kit against Liverpool, they need to wear Blue.
[/quote]
Swansea are on a terrible run at the moment, fancy us there but if we play like we're are against spurs and Liverpool, United will get murdered! Without doubt for those games van gaal will go back to 3 at the back, maybe after all there is madness to his thinking.......United looked far more solid playing 352......but it's dull as dish water to watch.
Just heard that tiger is taking a break from the game......Pitty, games misses him badly I think

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah I'm not sure. That was the first time since August and then it was brief. Balo is too static for us generally, he stands around and wants to poach or take long hail mary shots. I'm glad he finally broke his duck, but LFC fans have just about had enough of him. If he can turn it around it would be great for the $$$ spent.

Callaway Paradym 15*

Titleist SM9 48*

[quote name='apple_crumble' timestamp='1423728656' post='10937073']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Suarez took some time before he hit super form, maybe the same could happen to Balo. He scored an important goal and that will be a huge boost for him, if he works super hard (which he already is) and continues that way, then the Ballon D'Or (nah wtf am I talking about..) ///
[/quote]

hahaha, yeah right. Balo doesn't have that killer instinct near goal like Suarez does. I've followed them a long time and Suarez was the best Red striker since Rush. I say he's the best all time for us. If only he could have behaved better, lol.

Callaway Paradym 15*

Titleist SM9 48*

Balotelli will need to play some games coming down the stretch with all the fixtures piling up so that goal was a boost. Really hope to get a look at the prospect of him and Sturridge up front together maybe during a Europa game at home. Sturridge being back is a big plus but Balotelli coming back into the team and scoring some goals can be the diff between 4th and 5th.

on the other end of the table I just can't see how Villa with Benteke and Agbonlohor can't score a goal. Going to be tight coming down the stretch but I think they will stay up. Would hate to see them take the drop.

I have a side question, with regards to the FA Cup and "Giant killing" (small teams beating premier league teams), why can't these lower division teams keep up their consistency as they did when they beat big teams, to get promotions into the premier league? Team C from the second division beats a Premier League team and go on screaming with big roars, then lose 1-0 against a fellow second division team. What the f***?

[quote name='apple_crumble' timestamp='1423834461' post='10944745']
I have a side question, with regards to the FA Cup and "Giant killing" (small teams beating premier league teams), why can't these lower division teams keep up their consistency as they did when they beat big teams, to get promotions into the premier league? Team C from the second division beats a Premier League team and go on screaming with big roars, then lose 1-0 against a fellow second division team. What the f***?
[/quote]

I think you already have it pinpointed. Consistency. The clubs at the top can find a way to scrape up points even though they have several players hurt or in a rut. Squad depth plays a big part. Willingness to change tactics after 45 minutes if you realize that things aren't working out. Having players who are willing/capable of switching their mindset from "Attack" to "Solidify the midfield" if that is what is needed.

[quote name='wetdogsmell' timestamp='1423838181' post='10945129']
[/quote]

I think you already have it pinpointed. Consistency. The clubs at the top can find a way to scrape up points even though they have several players hurt or in a rut. Squad depth plays a big part. Willingness to change tactics after 45 minutes if you realize that things aren't working out. Having players who are willing/capable of switching their mindset from "Attack" to "Solidify the midfield" if that is what is needed.
[/quote]
It's simply the fa cup and why it's the most romantic cup competition in the world! All the great sides over a 100 years have suffered cup shocks. As a kid the fa cup was the main thing, Wembley in its full glory (the old one not the new piece of muck) was something else........sadly for the younger generation it isn't quite the same. But the 85 cup final as a 10 year old boy is one of my greatest memories.....oh Whiteside!

[quote name='wetdogsmell' timestamp='1423838181' post='10945129']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Agree, and the pure adrenaline rush for those lower teams playing in one the biggest matches in their careers. As mentioned the bench strength is ridiculous in the top PL sides. Think of the money sitting on the bench for City and Chelski compared to even the lower PL sides. The top teams could field a second starting XI that would still beat many other squads. I think it helps lower squads also that the refs generally let lower teams play more aggressively and get away with more fouls in FA matches than the PL teams are used to. FA matches are brutal affairs often.

Callaway Paradym 15*

Titleist SM9 48*

[quote name='apple_crumble' timestamp='1423905859' post='10951007']
Awesome, thanks for the answers guys! I liked the justification of depth and consistency. Also the ref allows more fouls, it is like rugby fused with football the F.A. Cup is!
[/quote]
Chuffin eck, Bradford do it again. My wife went to Bradford uni, more of a run by town as they had one hell of a side 10 years ago...not now on hard times. But no team will want to play at valley parade that's for sure

[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1424077650' post='10962043']
[quote name='apple_crumble' timestamp='1423905859' post='10951007']
Awesome, thanks for the answers guys! I liked the justification of depth and consistency. Also the ref allows more fouls, it is like rugby fused with football the F.A. Cup is!
[/quote]
Chuffin eck, Bradford do it again. My wife went to Bradford uni, more of a run by town as they had one hell of a side 10 years ago...not now on hard times. But no team will want to play at valley parade that's for sure
[/quote]
Stupid predictive text.....more of a rubgy town!

Van gaal isn't going to last, when our away fans start turning against you you're in trouble......another dull slow backwards performance. My clubs soul is being ripped out, van gaal needs to learn what man utd stand for and what sir Matt created! Really thinking of not bothering next week, it's terrible to watch and I'm bored watching us.....Just might go to pub or stay on the course, be more fun!

[quote name='jrharden' timestamp='1424555988' post='10999685']
ManU is really struggling to find an identity right now. I can't see them staying near the top four as the end of the season gets closer.
[/quote]
I might be a good thing not to finish top4, so the club gets the reality check it needs. Needs to go back to using the youth as United have some cracking talent in the under 21s, in fact I've enjoyed watching the under 21s. Just spending big on players who don't want to be there like di Maria is pointless. But van gaal needs to learn the United way or it's p45 time in April

[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1424595917' post='11002515']
ManU is really struggling to find an identity right now. I can't see them staying near the top four as the end of the season gets closer.
[/quote]
I might be a good thing not to finish top4, so the club gets the reality check it needs. Needs to go back to using the youth as United have some cracking talent in the under 21s, in fact I've enjoyed watching the under 21s. Just spending big on players who don't want to be there like di Maria is pointless. But van gaal needs to learn the United way or it's p45 time in April
[/quote]
That's what should have happened after last season if you ask me. ManU needs proper defenders and not spend 120 mil on bale or pogba

[quote name='Golfingfanatic' timestamp='1424603255' post='11002625']
[/quote]
[/quote]
That's what should have happened after last season if you ask me. ManU needs proper defenders and not spend 120 mil on bale or pogba
[/quote]
Spot on, if United had shawcross next to rojo there wouldn't be a problem. He's United youth wrongly let go under Fergie....add a de jong for £8m (that's all Milan wanted) and play Mata behind rooney and use Arden on the wing, United would be 6-8 points better off playing better football. Plus £150m hasn't been wrongly spent....but Herrera is a plus, good signing

United keep managing to tear my heart up and allow everyone to ridicule me... I will stand by them though! I fully believe they will be back winning Premier and Champions League titles however to do so I think United's focus should be on a strong defense... The dynamics between the midfielders and forwards will work itself out, we just need a defense.

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1424616440' post='11003163']
[quote name='Golfingfanatic' timestamp='1424603255' post='11002625']
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Spot on, if United had shawcross next to rojo there wouldn't be a problem. He's United youth wrongly let go under Fergie....add a de jong for £8m (that's all Milan wanted) and play Mata behind rooney and use Arden on the wing, United would be 6-8 points better off playing better football. Plus £150m hasn't been wrongly spent....but Herrera is a plus, good signing
[/quote]
Herrera and Blind are very good signings. Shaw is still young so he has time.

Massive result for LFC today and feeling great about top four again. Looking forward to a visit from Utd. Need the bitters to get a result vs Arsenal today.

Callaway Paradym 15*

Titleist SM9 48*

[quote name='KarstenK' timestamp='1425223898' post='11053237']
Massive result for LFC today and feeling great about top four again. Looking forward to a visit from Utd. Need the bitters to get a result vs Arsenal today.
[/quote]
Was a great game, especially in the first half. Liverpool is in some cracking form recently.

[quote name='Golfingfanatic' timestamp='1425229026' post='11053697']
[quote name='KarstenK' timestamp='1425223898' post='11053237']
[/quote]
Was a great game, especially in the first half. Liverpool is in some cracking form recently.
[/quote]
I'm very worried about the anfield game, if Jones or Evans play United will get hammered. In fact in worried about Wed game, United are simply playing terrible stuff