2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Vokey SM5 vs Miura New Wedge Series

squash71

Hi -

Interested in purchasing some new wedges....

I've been a Vokey user for many years but the forums seem to say that Miura is better -

I'm curious to hear peoples opinions - why is it better? what are the advantages? disadvantages (obviously price)? Which grinds?

Any feedback/info is certainly appreciated!

Btw, I'm a 16HC trying hard to get better....

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vokey is a great performing wedge with lots of options to suit every type of player. That said, Miura are on another planet as far as feel and quality in my opinion. But I currently play Vokey K grinds because they're like cheating and most JDM wedges are thinner soled for the most part.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

I wouldn't say better, just different. Vokeys feel a little firmer, or clickier (TMAG word). Miuras feel softer. Which plays better depends on your swing and turf conditions; also choosing the right grind for your course conditions and how you plan to use it.

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

[quote name='MBBG' timestamp='1409101034' post='10014833']
Vokey is a great performing wedge with lots of options to suit every type of player. That said, Miura are on another planet as far as feel and quality in my opinion. But I currently play Vokey K grinds because they're like cheating and most JDM wedges are thinner soled for the most part.
[/quote]

Thanks for your input - what do you mean your K grinds are like cheating? are they that easy to hit?

Also, because they are forged, are the Miura's somewhat fragile? i.e. more likely to get damaged because they are soft?

[quote name='squash71' timestamp='1409152494' post='10018185']
[quote name='MBBG' timestamp='1409101034' post='10014833']
[/quote]

Thanks for your input - what do you mean your K grinds are like cheating? are they that easy to hit?

Also, because they are forged, are the Miura's somewhat fragile? i.e. more likely to get damaged because they are soft?
[/quote]

Yeah the K grind Vokeys are just ridiculously easy to hit from a variety of lies...Was playing thinner soled Yururi the past couple seasons and while they're pretty awesome wedges they're not forgiving of any kind of fat shot whatsoever, and not really kind on thinner misses either. The Vokey K is almost impossible to hit a beaver with and contact just always seems to be clean. And shots get up and go too because so much of the weight is down in the sole for a low CG. These can be ordered in the cold forged from Japan.

I'm a miura fan but also a Titleist fan as well. I play vokey wedges mainly for the fact I play 2-3 a week plus a range day. I am in fl so it's always golf season. I change out my wedges at least every year and vokeys price tag vs miuras makes it easier on the wallet.

I'm a 6 but when I was 15-19 I used wedges (per round) more than I do know so I would go the vokey route.

The k grind is what I play in my 60 and 56 with f in my 52. I like s400 shafts for my wedges. If your a digger go k if a sweeper go m

G400 lst digital loft at 9 playing at 8
G400 3w. Xtorsion Black 80tx
G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
5-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

I will add to this and say that even though I am more of a sweeper, I have a 56M and a 58K bent to 56 and always go back to the K even in firm conditions. I think the M is a little easier to open all the way up on tight lies but that's not a shot I hit very often, and try to avoid at all costs. I have gained a lot of confidence with the K in that I can really use the bounce and let the club do all the work and get a consistent result, but it's also great for back in the stance shots with a lot of shaft lean too. I pretty much use it for everything inside of 100 yards which takes away my tendency to overanalyze which club and shot to hit around the greens.

One thing I will note however is that the K even though it is bent to 56 will launch higher than the 56M, I assume because of all the weight being down in the sole. It just wants to get up in the air on about every kind of shot which makes it so forgiving, but it isn't as long on fuller swing approaches as the M.

• 3 weeks later...

Not the right Miura wedge series, but I ordered a 56K and a 59C (bent to 55 and 60 respectively) with Nippon SPB to mess with. Will report back.

I have had them all. This is what I have had in the bag the last year.

Vokey forged 50 (endo forged best gap I've found)

Miura k grind 56 (best sw out period)

Vokey forged 62 (endo forged again best lob I've found. This thing is unreal!!)

All shafted with nippon spb

I haven't been this content with a wedge setup in years

Played Miura, Vokey, Edel.

Miura - leading edge too high off ground for my game, but a well balanced club, soft, dense feel (56K, 59C)

Vokey - leading edge too high off ground for my game, feel/sound, balance not as fine tuned or solid as Miura (60-10)

Edel - leading edge low to ground, plenty of effective bounce, solid, well balanced club, fits my game for the shots I play -- tight lies, lobs, ball in middle to front heel, hands behind and forward of ball ... most versatile wedges I've played. Grooves out to toe for more spin, COG in center ... just a lot of advantages if you want the entire arsenal of shots.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

[quote name='400yards' timestamp='1411008809' post='10137661']Miura K grind is great, but overall the SM5s have so many more options you could get a better fit.[/quote][quote name='clevelaand' timestamp='1411182816' post='10151303']I am a Miura fan and usually use only JDM wedges, but I was given a set of Cleveland Rotex wedges and was amazed with the spin. The milling on the faces on the Rotex wedges is heavy and seems to promote a lot of spin. Won't use Vokeys but might play Rotexes.[/quote]

Titleist, Cleveland, Ping and all the other made in China crap looks good until you go and play them. You tell your friends how they spin more/less and fly longer/shorter than your last set. So then you go and get them checked out only to find out the lofts are out along with the shafts. This doesn't happen with Miura and Epon. As far as custom goes you can get anything you want done with Miura and it's done for you specific, not massed produced!

• 2 weeks later...

I have this issue aswell , @MBBG how are the miuras going

[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913D2 8.75* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913F 16.5* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Anser 20* w/ TCF 800 s[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Mizuno MP5 4-PW w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Titleist SM6 52* KBS TOUR 90 S
Titleist SM6 58* STOCK
Odyssey #7[/font][/size][/color]

I have a Miura Y grind 53* as my gap wedge and a Vokey 58* M grind. both are great wedges, why? Because the grind and shape both fit my swing in terms of the shots I want to hit with them. Both have a variety of grinds, lofts etc. and I like the way they both look at address. You need to pick the one that suits your game, not just buy because of the brand.

Yes Vokeys are cast and Miuras forged, however IMO forged is overrated and cast is underrated. Yes Miura's have a nice feel/sound.

When buying wedges here is what I look for
1. Does the wedge look good to me at address? If it does not I move on, this is imperative for my brain to be able to accept it as an option.
2. Correct loft/bounce/grind combo, accurate specs. and the type of grooves or milling.
3. Custom fit for shaft and lie
4. Does it look pretty in my bag....let's face it would you game a no name or "cheap" wedge with no cool factor if there is a Miura or Vokey etc. out there you just like and feel proud to own?
5. Forged vs. cast. Not high on my list of preferences, in reality it has no impact for me on performance, but if it does for you, and mentally it helps your game then move it up the list.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Snelly' timestamp='1423945906' post='10953299']
+1for subwrx I'm in the same boat bought a 57 and 53 bent back a degree ,miura really are on a different level
[/quote]
+ 1 .
I use the New Wedge Series from Miura and they're the best wedges I've ever used !

Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
Yamada Shogun

• 6 months later...

[quote name='MBBG' timestamp='1410923762' post='10129919']
Not the right Miura wedge series, but I ordered a 56K and a 59C (bent to 55 and 60 respectively) with Nippon SPB to mess with. Will report back.
[/quote]

any update? I agree with your take on the yururi and vokey so I'm interested to hear how the miuras worked out for you.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Pilgrim' timestamp='1442235806' post='12310808']
Miuras new wedge series are better than vokey from tighter lies. the k grind miura is awesome in bunker as the knuckles just cut through the sand. However the miuras mark much easier from stones in bunkers than vokeys. Spin is similar between the two. Vokeys are heavier.
Down to personal preference.
[/quote]

mate, i am pretty sure the miura wedge are much heavier than the vokey.

[quote name='TheRealDeal' timestamp='1448155786' post='12629570']
What about vokey cold forged JDM vs Miura?
[/quote]

Depends on how much cash you have?

I owned miura Y and K, Epon 213, Miura new wedge series and Vokey forged.

For ease of use is vokey forged and epon 213. The miura wedges are not hard to use but you need to get used to it.

In terms of feel, I am a big fan of Epon irons but when it comes to wedge, i have to give it to Miura. I would rate the epon 213 as equals but maybe the K grind edge a little for the looks.

Japan's Pargolf magazine did a survey in October of what wedges the top JLPGA women had in their bags. Not a single one of them was using a Muira wedge. Even Lee Bo Mee, the no1 women's golfer on the JLPGA who uses Honma clubs carries 2 Vokey wedges (SM5 51 degrees F grind and SM5 57 degrees S grind). Obviously the pros have a preference and know what works for them.

PGOG-158434.jpg?158434PGOG-158435.jpg?158435

[quote name='magpies69' timestamp='1448236982' post='12632708']
miura doesn't sponsor pros. Probably they don't want to pay that much for a wedge from their own pocket. :p
[/quote]

The Japanese pros can definitely afford to use any equipment they want, they don't need Muira to sponsor. The wedge is probably one of the most used tools in their job. They use what works for them, so you see everything form Cleveland, Pings, Vokeys, Fourteen, Bridgestone, PRGR, etc even though they are contracted to use a particular brand. Muira is such a small company that its presence on the Japan circuit is next to nothing. Only people using Muiras for the most part are enthusiasts.

[quote name='creampuff' timestamp='1448244932' post='12633298']
[quote name='magpies69' timestamp='1448236982' post='12632708']
miura doesn't sponsor pros. Probably they don't want to pay that much for a wedge from their own pocket. :p
[/quote]

The Japanese pros can definitely afford to use any equipment they want, they don't need Muira to sponsor. The wedge is probably one of the most used tools in their job. They use what works for them, so you see everything form Cleveland, Pings, Vokeys, Fourteen, Bridgestone, PRGR, etc even though they are contracted to use a particular brand. Muira is such a small company that its presence on the Japan circuit is next to nothing. Only people using Muiras for the most part are enthusiasts.
[/quote]Familiarity, if they grew up with vokeys for example then there is the brand loyalty aspect as well. I doubt if any grew up with Miura in the bag.

@therealping