2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Jim Venetos golf swing?

garyt

Just now, Nels55 said:

Have you looked into Milo Line's stuff on Youtube?  Definitely an athletic motion there...

Yes, I like him, but I'm going to start working with Monte online. Monte's stuff does not happen over night and will be a challenge, but after extensive research, I believe he has the most correct information to have an efficient, simple, and body friendly swing for the long term. 

• Like 1

I am not going full out Venetos Golf Method but…I hurt my left ankle (RH golf swing) a while back and I think it has caused problems during the transition from back swing to forward swing. Pre-setting my shoulders and hips, eliminating some of that excess motion has helped tremendously. I feel like I don’t put as much pressure on that left ankle.

On 12/11/2023 at 11:04 AM, scopek said:

I really gave this swing a decent try. In short, I do believe this can be a very good swing and believe from reading other's report on his internal member board that it's a God send for many golfers. My issue was that I really struggled with turning off my athletic instincts. You really have to be disciplined to not want to do what feels natural. Now I understand what feels natural is not always a good thing, but the swing felt so unathletic that it just never felt right. Sure, I was starting to have a consistent ball flight. But I actually enjoy the feeling of movement and it just wasn't enjoyable to hit balls, if that makes sense. Again, I genuinely believe this is a great way to go for a lot of golfers, but just wasn't for me. 

I had the same issue when I gave Jim's swing a try.

I just hit the ball better when I had a feel of "motion".

Plus, when I got in pressure situations, or needed a good strike - I found myself "reverse" weight shifting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2023 at 2:29 PM, TomScht said:

WARNING!.. The Jim Venetos swing is not for old people.

I signed up for 3-4 months of lessons and my left hip started hurting.  On his discussion site, there was another guy asking about hip pain.  Jim's answer was "If you do it right, it won't hurt."

Well, here I am more than six months later and IT STILL HURTS. Right where the bone goes into the socket.  The Venetos swing sets your right (rear) foot back so you are facing 45 degrees to the right.  Then you swing to 45 degrees to the left, keeping all your weight on your left leg.  Well, you keep that up and it's going to grind away what cartilage is in there and that's what happened to me.  I've got a lot of bone-on-bone.  When I stand, I have to put the weight on my right foot, when I walk, if I don't limp, I feel like I should. A year ago I never thought about arthritis pain, now I do every day.

Okay, so maybe I didn't "do it right," but still...  this has been a high price to pay.  Venetos should be on the lookout for this but if he continues to blow it off, here you go.

Not to say the swing doesn't work.  I never hit my irons better than with the JV swing and actually, I still use it (maybe a less rigorous version) on the course.  But I'd be stupid to repeat it with 50 balls on the range, that's what blew my hip in the first place.

• 3 months later...
On 9/9/2014 at 1:18 PM, garyt said:

I think he's posted on here before. Maybe he'll see this and chime in. I tried just swinging a club this way in the yard,and it seems like it would be hard to get any distance with the driver.
Also seems a little unathletic,as what other sport do you not use your body at all,just arms?

How about Basketball? DOH!

• Haha 1

On 1/1/2024 at 11:02 AM, TomScht said:

Not to say the swing doesn't work.  I never hit my irons better than with the JV swing and actually, I still use it (maybe a less rigorous version) on the course.  But I'd be stupid to repeat it with 50 balls on the range, that's what blew my hip in the first place.

I'm 72.

3 herniated discs.

two new knees.

right shoulder rotator cuff damaged.

right elbow has a bicep tendon that is getting ready to come loose.

fibromyalgia or rheumatoid arthritis (dr. can differentiate since there is no definitive tests).

I use this and I don't hurt after a round of golf. I have for 15 years. His info is spot on for me and my students.

I'm a golfsmith from Golfsmith, retired. Larry at Golfsmith was my instructor.

It works. Simple as that.

I can only shoot in the 80's but this is not bad for a cripple like myself who has never played highschool or college golf nor ever had a PGA card.

I'm just a weekend warrior that enjoyed the game. This is 98% of all the golfers in the world. Now I don't play much (once every month or two) and have taken up scuba and wreck diving. 

The problem in golf, as I see it here on this forum, is that everyone has the tendency to believe they are or need to be long hitters.

Here is the mental part of the game I taught.

Once someone sees how reachable greens are they slow down on the long crooked balls and go after the straight shots.

The average par 4 on the combined public courses is America that are well cared for is 329 yards from the white tees.

I taught 55 and older seniors so the white tee or senior tees were the place they belonged.

Unless you can shoot 75 or better every day out you don't belong on the championship or black or blue tees.

That's just the ego talking.

At 329 yards it's only two shots of 150 or so and I would not hesitate to say that nearly everyone could put together two shots of 150 yards total distance. If they wanted shots that were straight they could take the 'Hulk' swing out of their game and get to more straight shots.

Now it's a reachable hole. Two shots of 150 carry/bonce/roll. Not that big of a challenge now?

If you can hit a ball 180 total distance down the middle of the fairway your second shot would only be 120 yards.

We can all hit the ball 120 wouldn't you say? Pars are always in reach if you plan your game ahead of time.

Golf's a great sport and an even greater enjoyment if the ego is removed from the game.

Plus the loud talkers and braggers when on the course will shoot way over any stated handicap (90% of the time).

And since only 20% of golfers actually have a verifiable handicap, most stated handicaps are just made up.

They don't play by the rules, use the slope of the course and other things to mathmatically calculate a real handicap.

Some do, 20%, but the rest don't. According to the USGA.

Play the game for your own enjoyment.

You never play against any other golfer in reality. You play against the course.

Cya

Gramps

• Like 3