2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Jim Venetos golf swing?

garyt

I found some of  Venetos golf method to be helpful like his setup to a point but the closer my swing became like his model the worse I became. My modified setup , which is less closed but still closed with a minimum weight shift works for me. Would I say mine is better? No. But with the physical limitations caused by surgeries I haven’t a choice. (Left my trailing leg shorter so a normal shift of weight gives inconsistent results on all shots) 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

• 2 months later...

Well I’m back at the Venetos swing . It working well on the range. Not sure if it’s a perfect copy , not using the strong grip he recommends but a neutral grip . Will give an update in a month.

• Like 3

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

11 minutes ago, NoTalentLefty said:

Well I’m back at the Venetos swing . It working well on the range. Not sure if it’s a perfect copy , not using the strong grip he recommends but a neutral grip . Will give an update in a month.

I'm curious how it goes. I gave it a try with his online membership. I was able to start hitting draws but I lost a lot of distance. He said I was doing something wrong since I lost distance....I just couldn't get over the idea of swinging with less effort to gain distance. I know it's my issue, but I moved on. I'll say, however, if what he's saying is true, it really would be a game changer for the average golfer. I guess I just have trust issues to fully commit. 🤪 But I've read reviews on youtub where people swear by it. So I'll be curious how it goes for you. 

• Like 1

I recently had an interesting experience with the JV swing.

I was playing in a best ball tournament after not being on the course for a while.  Range warmup went well but while waiting for partners to finish I decided to hit "just a few more." I proceeded to consistently launch the worst string of crap ever -- I was slicing, shanking, horrible and I couldn't figure out why or how to get back on track.  In desperation I tried a JV swing and bam -- nice shot right at the target, then again and again.  So I took it to the course and played pretty well.

Obviously the "JV swing" corrected some fault I was making but I'm looking forward to experimenting some more with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tm3 said:

I recently had an interesting experience with the JV swing.

I was playing in a best ball tournament after not being on the course for a while.  Range warmup went well but while waiting for partners to finish I decided to hit "just a few more." I proceeded to consistently launch the worst string of crap ever -- I was slicing, shanking, horrible and I couldn't figure out why or how to get back on track.  In desperation I tried a JV swing and bam -- nice shot right at the target, then again and again.  So I took it to the course and played pretty well.

Obviously the "JV swing" corrected some fault I was making but I'm looking forward to experimenting some more with it.

Maybe you've done this, but I'd highly recommend joining the online membership. You can send him videos and he'll guide you. Even though I didn't follow through with it, I really can't see how people (not you) can say "it didn't work" by just watching his YouTube videos. I wouldn't say it didn't work for me. For myself, I just have trust issues and taking that leap of faith. But I believe there are students that do very well with this swing.

Edited by scopek
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, scopek said:

Maybe you've done this, but I'd highly recommend joining the online membership. You can send him videos and he'll guide you. Even though I didn't follow through with it, I really can't see how people (not you) can say "it didn't work" by just watching his YouTube videos. I wouldn't say it didn't work for me. For myself, I just have trust issues and taking that leap of faith. But I believe there are students that do very well with this swing.

Thanks -- I may try the online membership, pending how things hold up.  My reservations are 1) I think that it's too expensive for what it is, and 2) I've read that there isn't a way for members to ask JV questions, and I'm one who always comes up with a lot of questions -- watching his YT videos I find myself saying, "Wait, when you say that, do you mean this or this?"

Went to the course today with a lot of confidence but wasn’t looking good after the first tee. Managed par but nothing but bogeys . Still continue to play with Venetos swing and par the last 3 holes on the front for a 41 . Well the back had six pars for a 39. Driving was good but my iron and hybrids were stellar . Had an issue with going against the south wind. Never hit a good drive on the 4 holes against , a lot of pulling the ball. The course was giving me 11 strokes on my 14.3 hci  shooting an 80, an easy course. So I’m happy with Venetos swing so far. 64 pct fairway and 56 GIR. The test is next week, a much tougher course.

• Like 1

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

My farewell statement to Venetos swing. Does it work yes but it caused me pain in my back and front hip that lasted for almost two days. Two days ago I was happy with it but now taking 2 days recovery is not good.  My problem is my shoulders are too flat and caused me to look for a closed shoulder swing  to keep from pulling to the right (LHer) . Going back to a more conventional swing.

BTW I just my lowest score of the year with it so it does work but not for a guy with Hip replacements.

• Like 1

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

15 hours ago, NoTalentLefty said:

My farewell statement to Venetos swing. Does it work yes but it caused me pain in my back and front hip that lasted for almost two days. Two days ago I was happy with it but now taking 2 days recovery is not good.  My problem is my shoulders are too flat and caused me to look for a closed shoulder swing  to keep from pulling to the right (LHer) . Going back to a more conventional swing.

BTW I just my lowest score of the year with it so it does work but not for a guy with Hip replacements.

Interesting.  From the "stillness" aspect I would have guessed that it is easier on the hips, but I would have been wrong.

Thanks for posting your experience and impressions.

Stillness yes is good. Putting most of your weight on front leg causes hip issue.

• Like 1

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

1 hour ago, Chainlinks said:

This clown still being talked about on wrx shows you how low this forum has sunk

Actually I was shooting lower numbers with his swing. Think he does actually bring something good to people who can’t spend a lot of time on their swing. Is it the best way? No.

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

On 8/5/2022 at 7:27 PM, NoTalentLefty said:

Sorry to hear about your hip...Hope you find something that is easy on your body. 

But the feedback I'm hearing from other is that this does work for those who stick with it. There are a lot of people that follow him on YouTube that swear by this, once you get over the weirdness of not trying to swing too hard. For myself, it's just sticking with one thing and...that's hard for me! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scopek said:

Sorry to hear about your hip...Hope you find something that is easy on your body. 

But the feedback I'm hearing from other is that this does work for those who stick with it. There are a lot of people that follow him on YouTube that swear by this, once you get over the weirdness of not trying to swing too hard. For myself, it's just sticking with one thing and...that's hard for me! 

I still think it can be effective for some. Easy to hit on center of club face is its draw to people. 

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

1 hour ago, ALIF said:

It's "draw" to people. I see what you did there. Very funny! You sir today win the Internet!

A happy mistake. Didn’t intend to.

• Like 1

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

1 hour ago, Krt22 said:

Low hook doesn't have the same ring. 

Never had a low hook with it. But people being people gotta be hatin’. Prejudging is in our nature. 

• Like 3

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

2 hours ago, NoTalentLefty said:

Never had a low hook with it. But people being people gotta be hatin’. Prejudging is in our nature. 

Zero prejudgment, just going by the video in the OP. It's an awful swing pattern, period. It might help a long time slicer finally hit the elusive draw, at the expense of loss of distance and severe back pain. The guy is hitting a swooping hook with a 9i for crying out loud lol

Edited by Krt22
  • Like 2

I think I posted in here years ago but I've battled a slinger hook for many years and I cannot for the life of me get how this system/swing/philosophy could produce anything but a big high hook all over for every club.

Even when I watched some of his  out swings out of morbid curiosity years ago everything looked like a 30+ yard hook (draw?). Wedges, driver etc. It didnt matter.

Weight forward, big closed stance, aiming way right and hit a big sweeper in there that hopefully lands somewhere near the green...

Maybe a 100 shooter trying to find some consistency with contact could benefit. Not for me.  

Edited by Mcgeeno
  • Like 3

I never hooked the ball with this. I was hitting draws. My issue is that it doesn't feel athletic and it's very hard to turn off that instinct. I also loss distance...But I do know that students who actually get their swing reviewed by Venetos and stick with it, are very happy with the results. Doesn't mean it's, obviously, for everyone, but seems like a lot of positive students out there.  

• Like 3

On 8/2/2022 at 2:41 PM, tm3 said:

Thanks -- I may try the online membership, pending how things hold up.  My reservations are 1) I think that it's too expensive for what it is, and 2) I've read that there isn't a way for members to ask JV questions, and I'm one who always comes up with a lot of questions -- watching his YT videos I find myself saying, "Wait, when you say that, do you mean this or this?"

I tried the JV swing on three separate occasions.  Had some success with it.

While I was a member of his website - I didn't have any problems with asking questions and getting answers (although it could take a few days to get the answer back....)

This was a few years ago.  Maybe his membership has grown to the point where that's not as easy?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scopek said:

I never hooked the ball with this. I was hitting draws. My issue is that it doesn't feel athletic and it's very hard to turn off that instinct. I also loss distance...But I do know that students who actually get their swing reviewed by Venetos and stick with it, are very happy with the results. Doesn't mean it's, obviously, for everyone, but seems like a lot of positive students out there.  

The things I took away from Venetos swing is stillness( staying more centered), playing a closed stance but not nearly as closed as his swing , and weight more on front foot but not as much as he requires. I took a lot from him. 

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

On 8/10/2022 at 2:20 PM, BigEx44 said:

I tried the JV swing on three separate occasions.  Had some success with it.

While I was a member of his website - I didn't have any problems with asking questions and getting answers (although it could take a few days to get the answer back....)

This was a few years ago.  Maybe his membership has grown to the point where that's not as easy?

I don't recall where I read the "no questions" comment, but the person making it said that it detracted from the JV video analysis.

Maybe I misinterpreted, and instead of "no questions at all" the meaning was "no real time questions."  I would not mind a delay in the answers.

On 8/10/2022 at 12:09 PM, scopek said:

But I do know that students who actually get their swing reviewed by Venetos and stick with it, are very happy with the results. Doesn't mean it's, obviously, for everyone, but seems like a lot of positive students out there.  

And if it works for some, and makes them happy, how can that be a bad thing?

Unless of course the JV swing (or any other) comes up against those whose self esteem is dependent on having their personal belief systems validated, and then its a bad thing indeed.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Long thread, but not abandoned!  I've using JV's Youtube instructions for a few months now and like where it's going. Driving range success is a grade B, on the course, a C. Still, that is an upgrade, so today took a V1 face-on and D-T-L video in anticipation of trying out his academy and sending the videos in.

Been hitting banana slices for 50 years so when JV says set up at 45 degrees well, that takes a serious mental effort.  Like asking for a rope to hang myself.  The well-executed JV swing does not actually go to the right but I still, haven't lost my fear that it will, so these months I just yo-yo between following the instructions and backsliding to my old setup and over-the-top swing.

I joined up here because there's lots of Venetos commentary and maybe someone has had this fear-of-slice block, and can say what it takes to overcome it.

Edited by TomScht
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious, has anyone at wrx actually seen Jim play golf or hit balls?

I experimented with his setup the other day in the simulator and I was hitting very solid shots right from ball 1.  My struggle has always been getting to my lead side at impact. 

I know he was run off wrx but I googled him and it seems he won some A flight championships so he must shoot around scratch. I would love to see someone play golf with his method or even hit balls on YouTube with a trackman. 

• Like 3