2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Jim Venetos golf swing?

garyt

I am a mid 80's inconsistent 60 year old golfer that has been "chasing my swing" for about 20 years... Athletic and totally understand the swing plane and swing progression. My problem is executing all of the movements consistently. I am in about my 6th week of Jim's program... The comments here have some valid points... i.e. driver and 3 wood is hard, chipping this way is hard due to being so closed without rotating my hands through impact my chips seem to end up right of my target, but short and mid irons are so dang easy to hit consistently with minimal feather draws, no big hooks. My biggest problem is staying still with my left side, I mean real still. If I straighten my left leg at all or move my weight my shots will go off, however, they do the same with my traditional swing. Still working on it... but definitely not a gimmick or a rip off, I have sent Jim video after video and he almost immediately gives a instant review and compares side by side to him doing it properly and no matter how I "feel" I am doing, the video comparison always shows how I am actually doing and gives me great feedback to move forward... Just my .02

I got a notice that I'm too new to post links so as soon as I can I will... I have a couple public of my original swing on facebook / pmceeman it's time to video the new one and I will do that this week...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I havent tried this and am definitely not a swing guru at all but the curvature on his shots when I've watched him hit balls on youtube seems excessive.

It looks like he plays a 20 yard snap hook every shot which seems crazy to me.

I have spent years trying to minimize my path and hit a more consistent straighter flight.

To each his own though.

Hey @Jimvenetos I saw this today on Youtube and couldn't help but think about you.... not the same but look at some of the points he is focusing on ... lol wonder what the guys here will think about this... :-) crud still won't let me post a link... go to you tube and search "how to hit the ball then the turf with your irons - magic drill"... by danny maude.... lol, your method or a variation of your method is taught in a lot of places...

> @pmalone said:

> Hey @Jimvenetos I saw this today on Youtube and couldn't help but think about you.... not the same but look at some of the points he is focusing on ... lol wonder what the guys here will think about this... :-) crud still won't let me post a link... go to you tube and search "how to hit the ball then the turf with your irons - magic drill"... by danny maude.... lol, your method or a variation of your method is taught in a lot of places...

>

>

I think it has nothing to do with the Venetos swing. First off, it's a drill. Second, he still makes a full turn and says nothing about hanging left. He even talks about being centered, making a turn and having a natural pivot. It looks nothing like the Venetos swing.

Did Venetos put you up to this?

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread but would like to say I have followed Jim's Swing after seeing many instructors before him with no success at all and this swing works. I cannot believe how sceptical everyone was in their comments towards a man who was just trying to help the average golfer improve.

If you do what he teaches you will find a consistent, powerful, accurate shot everytime.

I have dropped from a 28 handicap to 18 in a very short space of time following his advice on his free content and Golf Test Dummy content when he followed Jim's Swing for 12 weeks.

After the holidays I am signing up to Jim's Academy course to enable myself to drop my HC even further. If you're sceptical give it a try and see for yourself, there's plenty of free content out there so no need to sign up

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

For all you cynics out there, I committed to the Jim venetos swing and have been astounded by the results.  I am striking the ball better, more consistently than ever. I honestly would recommend it highly. 

After only three weeks I have won our last 2 club competitions. More fairways, more greens and improvement in short game is clear. 

I had 3 birdies on my last round and missed only one fairway. Out drove my group consistently. I have tried all manner od stuff for years and never got past a 14 handicap. I predict single figures within the next 3 months.  Still have the occasional blob but crucially I now believe I can challenge par on any given hole. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Guys sorry to bump this old thread but I'm pretty new to golf. Only been playing the sport for say 7/8 months and due to lockdown I've not actually played that much.

So far I've managed to break 90 best score has been 88 and i was playing pretty well but all of a sudden started to hook quite a few shots. So probably as most do i found myself looking up YouTube videos and found jim venetos videos.

As a new golfer i didn’t find what he was doing that strange and started trying his swing only yesterday at the range. Found it made me hit the ball so much better and no hooks but i was struggling to get success with my hybrids and driver. Irons i was getting the same distance and more consistency. Driver i usually hit around 240 but with new swing i was getting 200/210 it did feel weird with the new swing and I probably maybe need to get it perfected more.

Wanted to make this post just to ask what is it with forum mentality? I don’t really go on any forums and if i do its usually just to ask a question or two on something then I'm done. Ive noticed all forums people are just like pack animals waiting to attack and belittle people and its really not nice to read. Not sure why all forums are the same. I think it’s probably down to people maybe being unhappy in life, maybe there unsuccessful, maybe they get crap in the home and a forum is a place where they can be nasty and get there frustration out anonymously or maybe there just nasty people who knowns but Jim Venetos seems like a genuinely nice man who's trying to help people.

I was always told golfs a gentleman’s sport, well there’s certainly a lack of gentlemen on this thread.

Edited by MrEleven
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MrEleven said:

Guys sorry to bump this old thread but I'm pretty new to golf. Only been playing the sport for say 7/8 months and due to lockdown I've not actually played that much.

So far I've managed to break 90 best score has been 88 and i was playing pretty well but all of a sudden started to hook quite a few shots. So probably as most do i found myself looking up YouTube videos and found jim venetos videos.

As a new golfer i didn’t find what he was doing that strange and started trying his swing only yesterday at the range. Found it made me hit the ball so much better and no hooks but i was struggling to get success with my hybrids and driver. Irons i was getting the same distance and more consistency. Driver i usually hit around 240 but with new swing i was getting 200/210 it did feel weird with the new swing and I probably maybe need to get it perfected more.

Wanted to make this post just to ask what is it with forum mentality? I don’t really go on any forums and if i do its usually just to ask a question or two on something then I'm done. Ive noticed all forums people are just like pack animals waiting to attack and belittle people and its really not nice to read. Not sure why all forums are the same. I think it’s probably down to people maybe being unhappy in life, maybe there unsuccessful, maybe they get crap in the home and a forum is a place where they can be nasty and get there frustration out anonymously or maybe there just nasty people who knowns but Jim Venetos seems like a genuinely nice man who's trying to help people.

I was always told golfs a gentleman’s sport, well there’s certainly a lack of gentlemen on this thread.

Well said! Also, I call this Covid stress. People are misbehaving. I am a recruiter and candidates who disappear (aka ghost) are becoming more common. I just accept it and move on. Jim does seem very kind to his students. 

Edited by Tanner25
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, MrEleven said:

Nice post. People sometimes take disagreement as a personal attack. I know I can. But disagreement and discussion is healthy. The put downs and belittling are not necessary. It's also important to understand we don't know who is on the other keyboard. Computers are often a safe space for people with learning or social difficulties. 

The Venetos method is not for me but whose to say it's not for others.

All the best with it.

• Like 2

I came across this swing on YouTube , I was desperate to find a swing that wouldn't hurt my back.

I have PARS Fracture in my L5 lower back and have spent months looking for something that would allow me to play golf without pain.

I tried this swing after watching the videos and too my astonishment it worked.

Thru trial and error I found that you need to modify it slightly when hitting drivers or fairway woods.

With irons I'm hitting lasers at the pin, my buddies cannot believe the sound my irons are making.

Unfortunately I can only go 12 holes before the pain comes back but it's not as bad as it used to be.

I'm 67 years old and still break 80 from the White Tees and I'm a handful from the Senior Tees.

• Like 3

This is probably good for people who struggle to shallow the club. Limiting body rotation through impact is a shallowing element. Arm straightening is also a shallowing move as well. 

Low point control/consistency would likely be an issue with this swing style. 

Driver, fairway metals and long irons would be a challenge since those clubs really benefit from having a long flat spot. This swing would look more like a V-shape down through impact.

On 2/14/2021 at 5:09 PM, casman said:

I came across this swing on YouTube , I was desperate to find a swing that wouldn't hurt my back.

I have PARS Fracture in my L5 lower back and have spent months looking for something that would allow me to play golf without pain.

I tried this swing after watching the videos and too my astonishment it worked.

Thru trial and error I found that you need to modify it slightly when hitting drivers or fairway woods.

With irons I'm hitting lasers at the pin, my buddies cannot believe the sound my irons are making.

Unfortunately I can only go 12 holes before the pain comes back but it's not as bad as it used to be.

I'm 67 years old and still break 80 from the White Tees and I'm a handful from the Senior Tees.

L5-S1 spinal fusion.

• Thanks 1

$$$$

On 2/15/2021 at 12:36 AM, llaw999 said:

This is probably good for people who struggle to shallow the club. Limiting body rotation through impact is a shallowing element. Arm straightening is also a shallowing move as well. 

Low point control/consistency would likely be an issue with this swing style. 

Driver, fairway metals and long irons would be a challenge since those clubs really benefit from having a long flat spot. This swing would look more like a V-shape down through impact.

Have you tried swing?

13 hours ago, casman said:

6 months to a year recovery with no guarantee of it actually working.

I will stick with beer and ice packs.

The only guarantee you have in your life is that if you continue to do what you’ve been doing you will continue to be in the same pain that you’re in. With your condition golf is literally the very worst thing you can do for your back pain.

$$$$

Here is a swing sequence that I made from one of Jim's youtube videos:

VenetosSequence.jpg.ebcf3a5652ec2986d8ea42d90a368514.jpg

Some thoughts which are purely speculation on my part:

This is a good pro quality 'y' impact position with shaft lean.  I am guessing that Jim might be right eye dominant which could be a good reason for the restricted shoulder turn and the bent right arm at the top. 

I don't have a down the line sequence but it looks to me that he has the clubhead outside of his hands or maybe right on the same plane with his hands which will tend to mitigate the hook tendency with the strong grip.  I am working on figuring out this swing for myself and I have found that when I get the shaft under my hands taking it back I get in a lot of trouble pull hooking the ball.  Of course this is also related to cupping the lead wrist which opens the clubhead a bit.  Cupping the wrist a bit on the backswing will keep me from swinging the club back inside too much.   LOL don't know if any of that makes sense to you but it does make sense to me...

• Like 2

I heard of this swing in another thread, watched some of the videos, and during some pretty weather 10 days ago decided to try it in a range session.  I hit maybe a couple dozen shots (off the mat, with an 8 iron).  No hooks, one mild pull, the rest were draws that had a narrower dispersion and were slightly longer than the shots I hit with my normal swing.  I am intrigued by it.  His weight on the left side mantra reminds me of Saguto Golf on YT who advocates getting the weight to the left side during the backswing rather than the Venetos pre-set.

Maybe my results were a fluke, or maybe I have a recurring error in my swing that this Venetos system takes out.  Regardless, we won't be seeing DJ or Rory adopt this but if it helps lesser players like me be more consistent and have more fun that's a good thing.

I read through the earlier posts and it's a shame that Venetos was treated the way he was, but maybe there is a silver lining.  If everyone here was stroking him and he kept advertising by posting maybe his fee would skyrocket (it seems pretty reasonable right now).

• Like 3

I've gone through Jim's videos and have a golf simulator.  12 handicap 58 years old.  Always been a fader and always more work to draw the ball consistently.  The setup Jim uses is very similar to Shawn Clements draw set up where he gets behind the ball.  I adopted Jims setup and got tight draws one after another with no strain.  I found it easy to keep my weight planted on my left foot and kept my old over the top swing completely out of it.  I also picked up quite a bit of distance off all clubs.  I believe this is due to the draw ball flight but also the forward shaft angle at impact that delofts the face.  I am not kidding i had my 6 iron carrying 195 and i normally hit it 170 total.  I now have to figure out my new distances.  Not a bad problem to have.  Looking forward to playing a consistent draw with this method on the course and lowering my scores this golf season.  Thanks Jim V

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Louielips said:

I've gone through Jim's videos and have a golf simulator.  12 handicap 58 years old.  Always been a fader and always more work to draw the ball consistently.  The setup Jim uses is very similar to Shawn Clements draw set up where he gets behind the ball.  I adopted Jims setup and got tight draws one after another with no strain.  I found it easy to keep my weight planted on my left foot and kept my old over the top swing completely out of it.  I also picked up quite a bit of distance off all clubs.  I believe this is due to the draw ball flight but also the forward shaft angle at impact that delofts the face.  I am not kidding i had my 6 iron carrying 195 and i normally hit it 170 total.  I now have to figure out my new distances.  Not a bad problem to have.  Looking forward to playing a consistent draw with this method on the course and lowering my scores this golf season.  Thanks Jim V

Interesting observation about delofting the clubface.  My guess was that I was seeing more distance because of more consistent center of clubface contact based on the preset to the left and no sway or weight shift.

Somewhere in one of his videos Venetos makes a comment about gaining more distance that doesn't make a lot of sense, but most of his stuff that I heard seems logical.

Edited by tm3

• 3 weeks later...

Update. The JV swing is a complete game changer for me now. Been practicing like mad over past few weeks. All my irons now go on average 30/40 yards more carry and maybe up to 50 yards more total. Now use my 6 iron off the tee because total distance can be up to 220/230 yards. Plus the constant strikes is really impressive, especially since im new to golf.

Even had a lesson yesterday with pro and my local club. Showed him my setup and he was like no no no thats all wrong we need you textbook but when i hit my 6 iron he was shocked and actually said i can’t even hit mine that far lol he made me hit maybe 30 balls like that. Guessing it was to see if it was a fluke but i maybe hit maximum 3 bad shots in total.

The problem i am now having is im so good with my irons, that im horrible with hybrids, 3 wood and driver. Has any one else found this after swapping to JV swing ? Im thinking about signing up to his online school to see if it can help my hybrids, woods and driver. Although im getting round a course the now having lots of fun with just a 6 iron as my longest club.

Edited by MrEleven
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MrEleven said:

Update. The JV swing is a complete game changer for me now. Been practicing like mad over past few weeks. All my irons now go on average 30/40 yards more carry and maybe up to 50 yards more total. Now use my 6 iron off the tee because total distance can be up to 220/230 yards. Plus the constant strikes is really impressive, especially since im new to golf.

Even had a lesson yesterday with pro and my local club. Showed him my setup and he was like no no no thats all wrong we need you textbook but when i hit my 6 iron he was shocked and actually said i can’t even hit mine that far lol he made me hit maybe 30 balls like that. Guessing it was to see if it was a fluke but i maybe hit maximum 3 bad shots in total.

The problem i am now having is im so good with my irons, that im horrible with hybrids, 3 wood and driver. Has any one else found this after swapping to JV swing ? Im thinking about signing up to his online school to see if it can help my hybrids, woods and driver. Although im getting round a course the now having lots of fun with just a 6 iron as my longest club.

Relative to other online instruction and relative to in person instruction his online school seems pretty reasonable.  Sounds like it would be a great idea for you to try it.

I have experimented with this a bit. The good shots were similar in distance to any other way I’ve tried but felt like it took less effort. For some reason it feels a bit steep coming into the ball.

I would like to give it a go but the $49.00 a month subscription is a bit steep. When I 1st looked it was less than that.