2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Jim Venetos golf swing?

garyt

16 hours ago, lsh said:

I have experimented with this a bit. The good shots were similar in distance to any other way I’ve tried but felt like it took less effort. For some reason it feels a bit steep coming into the ball.

I would like to give it a go but the $49.00 a month subscription is a bit steep. When I 1st looked it was less than that.

Wow!  Last time I looked it was $30 -- the current price is almost double.

I take back what I said in an earlier post about the price being "reasonable" -- $50 is overpriced for what it is.

On 3/15/2021 at 2:55 PM, tm3 said:

Wow!  Last time I looked it was $30 -- the current price is almost double.

I take back what I said in an earlier post about the price being "reasonable" -- $50 is overpriced for what it is.

Works out $33 a month if you pay the year up front. Not bad considering i pay more for a 45 min lesson at my local club and im seriously not getting any better lol

Just now, MrEleven said:

Works out $33 a month if you pay the year up front. Not bad considering i pay more for a 45 min lesson at my local club and im seriously not getting any better lol . What was the pro who venetos trained ? I was wanting to see if there was any youtube videos of a pro playing in a comp with the swing ?

Hit some more balls off a mat in the back yard with my sand wedge. It went pretty well. My primary misses were low on the face or pull draw. The on line shots seemed a bit high. I am soaking my practice balls to soften the dirt. When I get them clean I'm going to hit some more.  Not sure I want to pay a full year i advance but I may if I can improve on my initial results.

Update

Pretty much same results with 2nd session.  Misses were a little pull with a draw and low on the clubface.  Consistent enough to have my attention.

Edited by lsh
Update

• 1 month later...

I somehow started watching some of Venetos' videos on YouTube. At first I thought it was pretty wacky. I went to the range the other day and started playing around with some of the stuff I watched. I was honestly surprised how well I was hitting it. I'm not even sure how close I was to what he was saying but it's intriguing. 

Curious if anyone else has updates? Maybe I'm just a skeptical person but it's interesting that some of the glowing reviews on here are from people that have a very low amount of posts. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 12:45 PM, scopek said:

I somehow started watching some of Venetos' videos on YouTube. At first I thought it was pretty wacky. I went to the range the other day and started playing around with some of the stuff I watched. I was honestly surprised how well I was hitting it. I'm not even sure how close I was to what he was saying but it's intriguing. 

Curious if anyone else has updates? Maybe I'm just a skeptical person but it's interesting that some of the glowing reviews on here are from people that have a very low amount of posts. 

I tried Jim’s method in 2017.  It’s interesting, and I hit some solid shots doing his method and really worked at engraining it.  However, I just wasn’t able to generate power and moved on.  If you are someone who is new to the game or are someone who can’t dedicate a lot of time to practice or have physical limitations, I could see it as beneficial.  Having said that, I don’t believe it to be the most effective and powerful way to strike a golf ball.  It has its place and Jim was always a good dude and willing to provide feedback and work with his online students.  

Your experience is similar to mine.  Also, I looked around on other golf forums and found a long thread about Venetos on one.  It contained several posts from supporters of the method who only had one or two posts.  Curious.  Plus there was feedback from someone who had signed up for the online program for a few months and said he bagged it because he didn't find the additional video content or the feedback from Venetos helpful.

10 hours ago, blues72 said:

I tried Jim’s method in 2017.  It’s interesting, and I hit some solid shots doing his method and really worked at engraining it.  However, I just wasn’t able to generate power and moved on.  If you are someone who is new to the game or are someone who can’t dedicate a lot of time to practice or have physical limitations, I could see it as beneficial.  Having said that, I don’t believe it to be the most effective and powerful way to strike a golf ball.  It has its place and Jim was always a good dude and willing to provide feedback and work with his online students.  

1 hour ago, tm3 said:

Your experience is similar to mine.  Also, I looked around on other golf forums and found a long thread about Venetos on one.  It contained several posts from supporters of the method who only had one or two posts.  Curious.  Plus there was feedback from someone who had signed up for the online program for a few months and said he bagged it because he didn't find the additional video content or the feedback from Venetos helpful.

Thank you, both. My guess is that it really does work well for some. I'm just not sure I can turn off some of my instinct that way I move naturally enough for this. I'm not sure what to make of the one time posters who come on here praising this method. It's hard to know. I can see how this would help, but for now, it's not for me. 

4 hours ago, scopek said:

Thank you, both. My guess is that it really does work well for some. I'm just not sure I can turn off some of my instinct that way I move naturally enough for this. I'm not sure what to make of the one time posters who come on here praising this method. It's hard to know. I can see how this would help, but for now, it's not for me. 

With my "curiosity testing" on the range I actually hit my 8i further and more consistently doing what I thought was the Venetos swing.  My theory is that the reason is with the V swing I was keeping my weight on the front foot and the lack of weight shift or sway or whatever I usually do was leading to better contact.  I was intrigued enough that I was seriously considering signing up for the online system for a trial, but then Venetos raised the price to $50/month and that IMO is too much.

There is a dude on YouTube who does a lot of swing system reviews.  He calls himself "Golf Test Dummy."  He did several videos on the Venetos system that you might enjoy watching.  I don't like the guy as like a lot of other YouTubers he blathers on and on and I don't have the patience to listen to all of it.  Nevertheless, you can get some info on Venetos there.  Here is kind of a summary review he did:

https://www.fogolf.com/243942/the-best-golf-swing-qa-with-golf-test-dummy/

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing it for about 2 months.  It's a good swing for a high handicapper like me.  Plus I've completely eliminated the slice from my game.  The downsides:  It's pretty hard to do this with longer clubs.  My 2H used to be a reliable rescue club but now its super unpredictable with this swing.  I also feel like there's a distance cap once you get past a 7i.  Someone mentioned this on another forum.  I just bought a rangefinder so I'm going to actually measure my distances when I go to the range next time.  Because right now I my distances are all over the place.

The videos on his site are cool but I think his method would benefit greatly from him recording himself playing a full round.  Hell even some videos of his shots with shot tracers would help.  I can't tell how far he's hitting when he's hitting into a net or off into the desert.

Edited by MrHateCoffee
  • Like 1

I’ve noticed a lot on Jim’s videos and comment sections that when people explain they’re having trouble with the driver or longer clubs he seems to always reply with “ don’t rush the long clubs, groove it with the shorter irons first.”

The problem is most of these people have already grooved it with the shorter irons and mid irons and are specifically asking for help with the driver / longer clubs  which seems to always get the “don’t rush the longer clubs / groove the irons first” response. 

Also in his videos his driver seems to be quite cut down and I’m not sure if there’s any more than 2-3 videos total of him hitting driver. And unlike the shorter irons where sometimes in his videos he’ll talk , then set up and hit a shot with no camera cut , any time he hits driver there’s always a cut in between the dialogue and the shot. 

So we’re not exactly sure  how many times he’s hitting that driver until he finds a camera appropriate upload. 

I think course vlogs with out cuts are an excellent way of pros showing that they can back up their methods with action. 

Edited by CB67
  • Like 3

On 5/11/2021 at 8:08 AM, tm3 said:

I don't find it all that curious.  People who take up the Venetos swing,  (or any swing for that matter) are likely to Google the instructors name to get more info. Ive joined a couple other forums because I  googled an instructors name (Ron Del Barrio) and found they had threads on him. I posted good things about him and I guess I  could have looked like a  plant

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 1:48 PM, CB67 said:

I’ve noticed a lot on Jim’s videos and comment sections that when people explain they’re having trouble with the driver or longer clubs he seems to always reply with “ don’t rush the long clubs, groove it with the shorter irons first.”

The problem is most of these people have already grooved it with the shorter irons and mid irons and are specifically asking for help with the driver / longer clubs  which seems to always get the “don’t rush the longer clubs / groove the irons first” response. 

Also in his videos his driver seems to be quite cut down and I’m not sure if there’s any more than 2-3 videos total of him hitting driver. And unlike the shorter irons where sometimes in his videos he’ll talk , then set up and hit a shot with no camera cut , any time he hits driver there’s always a cut in between the dialogue and the shot. 

So we’re not exactly sure  how many times he’s hitting that driver until he finds a camera appropriate upload. 

I think course vlogs with out cuts are an excellent way of pros showing that they can back up their methods with action. 

I’m a single plane , Moe / Graves swinger now a days and Todd Graves started doing course vlogs last summer using the shot tracer without any cuts or edits and it’s fun to watch and reassuring that the method you’re learning is being proven on course by the guy teaching it. 

Interesting point, especially since JV says (earlier in this thread, IIRC) that he was a long drive competitor at one point.  That by itself would suggest that the swing system works with the long club.

To add to your list of apparent "driver aversion" examples with the JV swing, one of his videos that I watched had him saying something to the effect that one "didn't need" to use driver and "shouldn't" use driver.  Odd.

Edited by tm3
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, garyt said:

I don't find it all that curious.  People who take up the Venetos swing,  (or any swing for that matter) are likely to Google the instructors name to get more info. Ive joined a couple other forums because I  googled an instructors name (Ron Del Barrio) and found they had threads on him. I posted good things about him and I guess I  could have looked like a  plant

That is a good alternate explanation.

I goofed with this at the range one day and hit the short irons pretty well, so I ended up going into my sim to see what the numbers looked like.  From 8 iron up, I had a pretty substantial drop in swing speed/ball speed just letting the club fall. Not sure why I needed the sim to tell me that, but the numbers were pretty clear.  I think you can play with this swing, but I don’t think you will hit it as far (although I have seen several posters say that they hit the ball farther with this swing).

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

On 5/22/2021 at 1:48 PM, CB67 said:

I’m a single plane , Moe / Graves swinger now a days and Todd Graves started doing course vlogs last summer using the shot tracer without any cuts or edits and it’s fun to watch and reassuring that the method you’re learning is being proven on course by the guy teaching it. 

One of the guys who posted about taking in person lessons from Venetos also did a playing lesson from him. He said Venetos is the real deal, hits it long and can score. I think he shot -1 the day they played.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 6:45 PM, garyt said:

I go on a Googling spree every time I get interest in a new instructor.  I think I've read every page on Jim in this forum and the two other most popular golf forums.  What's interesting is that a lot of his advocates wind up switching to another method or disappearing from the face of the earth. That's not necessarily an indictment on Venetos however, because people do it with all swing methods.  But for once I'd like to see someone have sustained success and watch their journey.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrHateCoffee said:

I go on a Googling spree every time I get interest in a new instructor.  I think I've read every page on Jim in this forum and the two other most popular golf forums.  What's interesting is that a lot of his advocates wind up switching to another method or disappearing from the face of the earth. That's not necessarily an indictment on Venetos however, because people do it with all swing methods.  But for once I'd like to see someone have sustained success and watch their journey.

Jim is another guy who figured out a way to swing that works really well for him.  He believes in his method very strongly and has had success teaching it certain number of golfers that the swing meshes with.  There a lot of swing gurus on the internet who do the same thing and have similar stories.  The funny part is that they pretty much all teach different swings!  

I tried the Venetos swing but I never subscribed or got his help.  I used video to look at my swing and also looked at some of his swing lessons that were linked on the alternative golf swing forum along with all of the videos that he has online.  In the end I got pretty good with a nine iron.  The problem was that when I really maintained stillness I lost some distance.  Also I could never keep the swing without constant vigilance.  I would think I was maintaining stillness and then look at video and I had drifted back to my swing.  So in the end I went back to my more natural move and quit worrying about keeping still and I am hitting the ball farther and better then I did trying to implement Jim's ideas.  A failure on my part or maybe the method just does not mesh with my particular abilities.  LOL I don't know!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrHateCoffee said:

Exactly. I started this thread and don't use the swing. But I don't find the idea that most of the people in this thread who say it's good don't have many posts to be telling of anything. I have yet to meet one golfer on the course who has heard of GolfWRX when I bring it up.

• Like 1

Every once in awhile on the range I run into a very fleeting swing.  The syncing feels perfect, it feels like I move backwards to start the downswing and everything stays in front of me until the very last instant when it is like my body trades places from being backwards to the target to forward facing the target.  I've always got the idea that this is the keep your back to the target as long as you can, and start the swing with the "zipper away" the moving backwards feel for me.  I can never hold on to the swing for very long, but while it lasts I strike the golf ball better than any other swing I have tried.  I always get that "aha, I found it" but it leaves quickly too.  

Anyway, this swing kind of looks like a physical representation of the feels I have with that fleeting swing.  I may give this a try to see if it helps.  I'm not looking to switch to this swing, but if it can help me find that fleeting swing that would be pretty awesome. 

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

I stumbled into this thread because I have a (supposed) hip problem that on further diagnosis turned out to be a lower back problem. The prognosis here is basically experimental, but the epidural has allowed me to make normal golf swings. OTOH,  I cannot walk and carry my clubs for 18 holes right now. The injection may last a few weeks or it could last a long time. Hence the 'experimental' description.  

I was researching 'less turn than I normally do' (my DOB is 1949 so it that is less turn than I used to do) when I stumbled across this thread. It seems to me to be an interesting option. I gave it a few swings at the range yesterday (which was my first attempt at a real swing at a real golf ball since this issue cropped up in late Feb). A few swings is hardly a 'good try' at this type swing, but I have a few questions that I would certainly be asking Jim if I were taking a lesson from him, like ....

1) It certainly feels like a weak swing to me (and my few attempts generated weak results). I would be looking for an explanation of just how in the world you get power from basically no rotation (and no rotation could be my future here). 

2) From what I read/see 'belt buckle pointing somewhat to the rear at impact' is the intent here. NOBODY does this (AFAIK). Isn't there really some forward rotation at impact? BTW, prior to the injection the backswing was actually the biggest pain generator for me. 

3) Much of this seems very Ernest Jones and Manuel de la Torre like and I would be wondering about that. Specifically 'learn the arm motion and the body will do the right thing'.

4) If I want to generate bad/bad/bad pitch and chip shots without intentionally trying to mis-hit the ball, all I have to do is 'freeze my body through impact' and the result will be skulls and fat shots galore. I would be asking about that. 

Right now this is a casual interest but depending on how things go that might change, so I would be interested in any comments here. 

Thanks.

dave

ps. If you ever get a lower back MRI, I would suggest that you not read the doctor's report that comes out of that. The words would scare you to death and led me to believe that I was lucky to be able to stand up straight without assistance. I will have problems down the road, but the outlook is not necessarily as grim as a casual reader might believe. 

2 hours ago, DaveLeeNC said:

I stumbled into this thread because I have a (supposed) hip problem that on further diagnosis turned out to be a lower back problem. The prognosis here is basically experimental, but the epidural has allowed me to make normal golf swings. OTOH,  I cannot walk and carry my clubs for 18 holes right now. The injection may last a few weeks or it could last a long time. Hence the 'experimental' description.  

I was researching 'less turn than I normally do' (my DOB is 1949 so it that is less turn than I used to do) when I stumbled across this thread. It seems to me to be an interesting option. I gave it a few swings at the range yesterday (which was my first attempt at a real swing at a real golf ball since this issue cropped up in late Feb). A few swings is hardly a 'good try' at this type swing, but I have a few questions that I would certainly be asking Jim if I were taking a lesson from him, like ....

1) It certainly feels like a weak swing to me (and my few attempts generated weak results). I would be looking for an explanation of just how in the world you get power from basically no rotation (and no rotation could be my future here). 

2) From what I read/see 'belt buckle pointing somewhat to the rear at impact' is the intent here. NOBODY does this (AFAIK). Isn't there really some forward rotation at impact? BTW, prior to the injection the backswing was actually the biggest pain generator for me. 

3) Much of this seems very Ernest Jones and Manuel de la Torre like and I would be wondering about that. Specifically 'learn the arm motion and the body will do the right thing'.

4) If I want to generate bad/bad/bad pitch and chip shots without intentionally trying to mis-hit the ball, all I have to do is 'freeze my body through impact' and the result will be skulls and fat shots galore. I would be asking about that. 

Right now this is a casual interest but depending on how things go that might change, so I would be interested in any comments here. 

Thanks.

dave

ps. If you ever get a lower back MRI, I would suggest that you not read the doctor's report that comes out of that. The words would scare you to death and led me to believe that I was lucky to be able to stand up straight without assistance. I will have problems down the road, but the outlook is not necessarily as grim as a casual reader might believe. 

1) Power comes from the arms/hands in a free swing just as with a lot of other swing styles.  JV would argue that stillness also gives you a better chance to hit the sweet spot of the club which would also add to the power.

2) Not true. Many instructors advocate "the feeling" of keeping the back to the target as long as possible on the DS.  Again, usually more prevalent for arm focused (2 plane) swings versus more rotational 1 plane swings.

3) Actually JV would advocate just learn to be "still" and even the arm motion would take care of itself.

4) A bit of a misnomer as the "body" isn't frozen.  Arms and shoulders (to a small extent) are certainly moving.   Most chips given the small swing length usually don't involve a lot of body movement anyways.

On 2/17/2021 at 2:12 AM, Nels55 said:

Here is a swing sequence that I made from one of Jim's youtube videos:

VenetosSequence.jpg.ebcf3a5652ec2986d8ea42d90a368514.jpg

4 hours ago, DaveLeeNC said:

I would be looking for an explanation of just how in the world you get power from basically no rotation 

I plucked the above sequence from a post by Nels55.  It looks to me like JV is rotating (and also weight shifting to some extent).  The issue may be the interpretation of what JV means by "still" -- I take it to mean "no conscious weight shift" not "no rotation" but I'm not a JV student so I may be wrong.

Good luck with the epidural lasting!

5 hours ago, DaveLeeNC said:

Thanks.

dave

I feel your pain!  I suggest that you look into Muscle Activation Technique.  Here is a thread on the subject:

I hope that you can get past this one and have many more years of golf!

Thanks for the additional info. It sounds like (and looks like as well - thanks for that, @tm3) there is more rotation going into the ball than JV would imply with his words (or the way I read them). 

The M.A.T. stuff is interesting. But I spent almost a month working on gluteous medius tendonitis (hip muscle) where the source of the problem is clearly somewhere between L3 and L5 (lower back). I have had enough muscle work to last me a while 😃 )

dave

1 hour ago, DaveLeeNC said:

Thanks for the additional info. It sounds like (and looks like as well - thanks for that, @tm3) there is more rotation going into the ball than JV would imply with his words (or the way I read them). 

The M.A.T. stuff is interesting. But I spent almost a month working on gluteous medius tendonitis (hip muscle) where the source of the problem is clearly somewhere between L3 and L5 (lower back). I have had enough muscle work to last me a while 😃 )

dave

Working the bigger muscles does not activate the supporting muscles that are not working and are the cause of many physical problems.  I had serious lower back issues and as I have said MAT has changed my life and allowed me to practice and golf every day if I wish.  LOL I don't blame you for being skeptical though as most folks that I talk to about this dismiss what I say immediately because they know what their problems are and they know the solution cannot be the same as my experience.  Such is life!

7 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

Working the bigger muscles does not activate the supporting muscles that are not working and are the cause of many physical problems.  I had serious lower back issues and as I have said MAT has changed my life and allowed me to practice and golf every day if I wish.  LOL I don't blame you for being skeptical though as most folks that I talk to about this dismiss what I say immediately because they know what their problems are and they know the solution cannot be the same as my experience.  Such is life!

FWIW, I have no discomfort in my back - just in my left hip (and it sometimes also shows up in the lower left calf). Any back discomfort would be like 5th on the list behind left hip, both knees, left shoulder, and both wrists. 

dave

3 hours ago, DaveLeeNC said:

FWIW, I have no discomfort in my back - just in my left hip (and it sometimes also shows up in the lower left calf). Any back discomfort would be like 5th on the list behind left hip, both knees, left shoulder, and both wrists. 

dave

Carrie Edwards did quite a bit of work to get my hips working correctly during the MAT process.  This helped my lower back a lot and also got rid of the chronic pain that I had in my left / lead hip.  

7 hours ago, Nels55 said:

Carrie Edwards did quite a bit of work to get my hips working correctly during the MAT process.  This helped my lower back a lot and also got rid of the chronic pain that I had in my left / lead hip.  

Yeah - I am just a bit over sensitive here. I spent almost a month getting treated as if this were a musculature system issue and that effort made things worse (it is nerve impingement). Kind of a knee jerk reaction on my part. 

dave