2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Advice on buying Mizuno

Galthran1327

Hello, im gonna get custom fitted for mizuno but before i go (which is only next month) can anyone tell me if i have any chance of be able to hit the MP series well? im currently playing 2013 cobra baffler which are really high forgiveness clubs. basically i have been reading alot about irons and at first i was looking into maybe titleist ap2, nike covert vrs 2.0, rocketbladez TM but than i heard about mizuno for the time and i started reading and they really made a big impact on me, i just love the look and i heard they have such a good feeling and they been making good forged irons for a longtime but the JPX series doesnt appeal to me at all, the colors are really appealing to me.

Also while reading on mizuno website, their MP-H5 long irons are suppose to have more forgiveness and the Ti muscle on the MP-15 are suppose to give more forgiveness but is that enough forgiveness for me? Im currently a high handicapper but im practising 3-4times a weeks and i have improved my score from the last 3months and im also losing atleast 10x less balls lol (and my favorite for the look is the mp-64!!)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All you can do is try and see.

They're not as demanding as they are made out to be. Musclebacks, to a point, yes, but many of the "player's cavity" styles are plenty playable by anyone.

Keep in mind, they are forged from a fairly soft steel and are quite shiny. They WILL show wear and tear after awhile.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I just recently bought a set of mp-64 irons to replace my TM burner's. The feel of the clubs are simply fantastic, the best feeling clubs I've ever hit. I'd say you certainly have to hit the sweet spot consistently to use any blades, however that principle can also be used to force you to be more consistent the more you hit them. I never played a blade style iron until I got these (along with some mp-t4 wedges i love too!). Played my first 18 with them yesterday and my iron play was a lot more consistent. In fact I never hit my woods because my 4 iron is so useful that i never needed to. I couldn't control my cavity back TM's, but i can shape the shot any way I want with these mizuno's.

Why don't you pick up an ex-demo 6 iron in an MP model and try hitting it at the range. That way you'll know if you can game it or not. You can get one for $20-$30. Regarding the wear, yes they will get dents and the chrome will eventually wear off but it's part of the appeal, and beat up forged blade looks much classier than a beat up SGI cavity which just looks like junk.

They can be hit, sure. But is it right for your game? The common belief amongst golfers is those 3 out of 10 times they make good contact makes the clubs playable.

Forgiveness is your friend on the golf course.

BTW: All this talk about how workable player's clubs are. Let's be honest...how many people have you played with in your lifetime that works the ball the way they intended?

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

[quote name='ckay' timestamp='1411566188' post='10174525']
They can be hit, sure. But is it right for your game? The common belief amongst golfers is those 3 out of 10 times they make good contact makes the clubs playable.

Forgiveness is your friend on the golf course.

BTW: All this talk about how workable player's clubs are. Let's be honest...how many people have you played with in your lifetime that works the ball the way they intended?
[/quote]i hear that term here everyday but rarely see it on course or even on TV....great ballstrikers move ball very little....2-5yd cuts and draws is about it....Every club is capable of that...I can work ball both ways, not every shot but I have the skill to hit cuts and draws....I have gamed mb and gi clubs and never had a problem with either....I too am not trying to move it 20-30yds....maybe 10 at most if I pull it off....for most part I am trying to hit it straight and if it has a tail at end either way that's fine.......

To OP:....The mp54 is nice compromise of feel and forgiveness. ....mizuno is not any harder to hit than any other manufacturers irons in same category.....The 64 is tougher to hit but head size is very similar to 54....mizuno irons are fantastic, best feel and quality made...they are soft so ding up fairly easy but whateves....it doesn't hurt performance and looks actually kinda cool imo when they have few scars.....

There not 9 finishes:...that's York craft models and much more expensive and longer wait.....stock finish is chrome and is good enough.....your gonna pay another $500 + for yoro craft series

[quote name='dunn' timestamp='1411702611' post='10185929']

There not 9 finishes:...that's York craft models and much more expensive and longer wait.....stock finish is chrome and is good enough.....your gonna pay another $500 + for yoro craft series
[/quote]

Well he posted in the JDM forum. Maybe Yoro Craft is what he's looking for. Who could blame him? Those finishes are very much a cut above the USDM finish.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='Galthran1327' timestamp='1411530717' post='10173131']
Hello, im gonna get custom fitted for mizuno but before i go (which is only next month) can anyone tell me if i have any chance of be able to hit the MP series well? im currently playing 2013 cobra baffler which are really high forgiveness clubs. basically i have been reading alot about irons and at first i was looking into maybe titleist ap2, nike covert vrs 2.0, rocketbladez TM but than i heard about mizuno for the time and i started reading and they really made a big impact on me, i just love the look and i heard they have such a good feeling and they been making good forged irons for a longtime but the JPX series doesnt appeal to me at all, the colors are really appealing to me.
Also while reading on mizuno website, their MP-H5 long irons are suppose to have more forgiveness and the Ti muscle on the MP-15 are suppose to give more forgiveness but is that enough forgiveness for me? Im currently a high handicapper but im practising 3-4times a weeks and i have improved my score from the last 3months and im also losing atleast 10x less balls lol (and my favorite for the look is the mp-64!!)
[/quote]

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-ZpHr5l0U0[/media]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

You're doing a lot of reading.....from manufacturers websites. Although that's fine, it's typically biased. You need to hit the irons you have mentioned before buying. Like said above, maybe buy a demo club. I see you're conflicted on reliability with the finish. I had that issue with my MP54's. I have several rounds on mine, I find that the finish has been holding up to the wear and tear I have been putting on them. If you're considering "players" cavity backs, the MP54's are great. So are the AP2's, basically all the clubs you have mentioned are great clubs. Even the club's you're currently hitting are great clubs.

Food for thought, since you're doing so much research on these clubs, and you're in a mind set of Mizuno Cavity backs, or any cavity back for that matter, and are also concerned with wear and tear, maybe give the FOURTEEN PC555 model a gander. They feel better than my mp54's and they're by physics a stronger club. Meaning, they are cast. FOURTEEN in general makes some spectacular JDM forged clubs. Their lines have changed my outlook on a few things when considering irons. Maybe worth a read on their site. Even the TC530's would be in your alley of thought. Smoooooth forged irons.

Good luck

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

The MP64s can be had for a great price. There are a few up on the BST forum. Can't go wrong with the 64s although a lot of people prefer to play the older generations. I myself still use MP32s and they are just fun.

Taylormade M2 10.5* // Tensei Pro Orange 6S
Taylormade M3 15* // Tensei Pro Orange 7s
Taylormade M3 Rescue // Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85HY
Srixon z565 4-PW // Nippon Modus Tour 120
Titleist Vokey SM 52*
Titleist Vokey SM 58*
Scotty Cameron 350g Milspec

Pick a few clubs that appeal to your eye and hit them. Take the OEM marketing crap and others' opinions with a grain of salt.

What matters is what YOU think :)

It's an individual thing-

The best to you in your search!!

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• 3 weeks later...

I have had/played mizuno mp 14s forever and I just refinished my set which was a lot of fun and they look awesome. I don't know what the difference between an "mp" and whatever else is(forged?) but you should go in open minded and see what fits your eye and your feel when hitting, not a preconceived model line.

For what it is worth, I just started playing golf again 4 1/2 months ago after taking 5 years off from the game post back surgery. I started playing again with my titleist 962 cavity backs....had no feel, no consistency, my swing was mega rusty, shooting in 90s. Finally I was like I hate the feel of these things and started gaming my mp 14s and I broke 80 like 5 times in the following 2 months and they got my ball striking back on track. So my point would be that even though I was super rusty and my mizunos are technically a lot harder to hit, I played much better with them becuase I profoundly prefer the feel of forged blades and also the club at address and everything about it suits my eye etc. So go with feel and if it says mp on it cool, if not, whatever.

• 1 month later...

get some mph4s and some reall good fitting headcovers. Get fitted and all that but stay away from the very latest ,like the 850 or mp 15. Take your savings and put it in a kitty for future purchases of various single used irons. Im looking at a new set of mph4s i bought on ebay last week new for 440 with shipping. I just cant make myself take the plastic off. I am back after 18 years away from golf, stuck on a bering sea crabber. I am semi retired and just sobered up:) Going through the club choosing experience myself. I went out and got fitted and bought a bunch of sets from around 2012. ap2 710, mp59, 825 pro, adams cmb, ping s56, 2009 xforged by callaway. And now the mph4s. I hit the h4 4 iron and that is going in my bag no matter what I decide to game.
I too love the look of the 64s and have bought a used 6 iron. its nice. theyre all nice man. Congrats on discovering mizuno. If you like the look of the 64s and hit them ok then get them. If you find you like a little more help then buy a used set of 53s, or h4s and play a 64 combo set to the 7. have fun and most importantly, be present, stay in the moment and try and get up on that higher plane above mere observation. find a friendly sort on the internet to learn from and get your mind and body fit and go out and enjoy your own company on the course.