2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Courses between Erin Hills and Whistling Straits

adamjstl

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm originally from Milwaukee and was actually back visiting this past August. We got to play Erin and it was worth every penny.

Given that you'll basically be on I-94 and I-43, you definitely opened yourself up to some golf!

In Hartford, you'll have Washington County Golf Course (http://www.golfwcgc.com/). If you're a non-resident of the county, it's only $50 with a cart. Well worth it.

There's also The Bull in Sheboygan Falls, WI, right up I-43 (http://www.golfthebull.com/). IIRC, the October rates are right around $75.

The Broadlands is also a pretty decent choice if you wanted to save a little cash (www.broadlandsgolfclub.com).

Fire Ridge is also an option too in Grafton (http://www.fireridgegc.com/).

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

[quote name='adamjstl' timestamp='1413559632' post='10304955']
For everyone who has played either of these courses, what are some good public options nearby that won't break the bank? We are playing Whistling Straits, Blackwolf Run, and Erin Hills, and want to add 2 other under $100 options as well.
[/quote]

Washington County, http://www.golfwcgc.com/

Fire Ridge, http://www.fireridgegc.com/

The Bog, https://www.golfthebog.com/

[quote name='D^2' timestamp='1413560466' post='10305035']
For everyone who has played either of these courses, what are some good public options nearby that won't break the bank? We are playing Whistling Straits, Blackwolf Run, and Erin Hills, and want to add 2 other under $100 options as well.
[/quote]

Washington County, [url="http://www.golfwcgc.com/"]http://www.golfwcgc.com/[/url]

Fire Ridge, [url="http://www.fireridgegc.com/"]http://www.fireridgegc.com/[/url]

The Bog, [url="https://www.golfthebog.com/"]https://www.golfthebog.com/[/url]
[/quote]I have to disagree with you on The Bog...

I'd rather play twice at Washington County over there.

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

+1 on The Bull. 'Very tough Jack Nicklaus course.

I didn't particularly care for The Bog. I don't think I've ever seen a course with more wetlands, red stakes, and blind shots. I should have played Washington County.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Or you could play Erin twice!

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

[/quote]

When I played Erin HIlls (name drop, sorry), I asked the caddy what else around was worth playing. The only course he recommended was Washington County.....now that is not counting what is up in Sheboygan. I am playing Erin Hills on my next trip, but will play Whistling Straits-Irish and The Bull at Pinehurst Farms on my next trip. (already played The Straits and both Blackwolf Run courses).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the Bog was way over rated. You really need to play the course twice since the first round you really have no clue the distance or direction to hit your ball off the tee.

The Broadlands and Fire Ridge are both good deals for quality courses. I played Fire Ridge last week for $24 with cart and you can find a similar fall deal for Broadlands.

Callaway GBB 9* Diamana S+ 60 - Animal Weights
Titleist 915h 2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 70
Titleist 915h 3 Hybrid [size=4]Diamana S+ 82[/size]
Mizuno MP-54 3-5 DG 120
Mizuno MP-64 6-PW DG 120
[size=4]Mizuno MP-T5 50 and 56[/size]
Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank Counterbalanced
Srixon Z Star XV / Bridgestone B330 / Cut Blue

I'm probably not adding much, but here's where I'd rank your options.

1.) Washington county
2.) The Bull
3.) Fire Ridge
4.) Brown Deer
5.) Mee-Kwon (a lesser course than those mentioned above, but still fun, cheap, and under rated IMO)

Also, if you weren't planning on playing the Irish course at WS, add that in as well.

Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6S
Callaway XHP 15* AD DI 7s
Callaway Apex UW 19* AD DI 7S

Ping Icrossover 4 Kai'li White 80s
Ping S55 Nippon Modus 120x
Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan DH89

Snell MTB-X or Titleist ProV1

[quote name='ocburg17' timestamp='1414075757' post='10338277']
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the Bog was way over rated. You really need to play the course twice since the first round you really have no clue the distance or direction to hit your ball off the tee.

The Broadlands and Fire Ridge are both good deals for quality courses. I played Fire Ridge last week for $24 with cart and you can find a similar fall deal for Broadlands.
[/quote]Overrated and overpriced!

Don't they want close to $100 for it?

IIRC, they have been trying to sell The Bog for years at a fraction of what the total cost to build the place was.

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

Great thread. We are putting together our trip for next year and we're going back to Kohler for the 3rd time. We've played all the usual suspects (the four Kohler courses, Erin, Bog, Bull, Brown Deer). Lots of really good courses in the area.

We're looking to add a couple of new ones to the list this year in addition to playing some old favorites. We are not price sensitive. Really like some of the suggestions on this list. I checked the Boxgroove website and these courses are listed. Curious of your opinions and how these rate in comparison to the ones already listed in the thread:

North Shore and River Club, both in Mequon
Pine Hills in Sheboygan
Hidden Glen in Cedarburg
North Hills in Menomonee Falls

Thanks in advance for any advice.

[quote name='johnnylongball' timestamp='1414079649' post='10338703']
Great thread. We are putting together our trip for next year and we're going back to Kohler for the 3rd time. We've played all the usual suspects (the four Kohler courses, Erin, Bog, Bull, Brown Deer). Lots of really good courses in the area.

We're looking to add a couple of new ones to the list this year in addition to playing some old favorites. We are not price sensitive. Really like some of the suggestions on this list. I checked the Boxgroove website and these courses are listed. Curious of your opinions and how these rate in comparison to the ones already listed in the thread:

Pine Hills in Sheboygan
Hidden Glen in Cedarburg

[/quote]

These are definitely good courses (especially Pine Hills) but they're also private. If you have a way to get on, go for it.

Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6S
Callaway XHP 15* AD DI 7s
Callaway Apex UW 19* AD DI 7S

Ping Icrossover 4 Kai'li White 80s
Ping S55 Nippon Modus 120x
Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan DH89

Snell MTB-X or Titleist ProV1

Pine Hills in Sheboygan
Hidden Glen in Cedarburg

[/quote]

Since you've done this trip so many times its time for you to venture a little to the west and hit up Lawsonia in Green Lake. Or go to Madison and play U Ridge.

[quote name='CactusGolf' timestamp='1414077855' post='10338489']

IIRC, they have been trying to sell The Bog for years at a fraction of what the total cost to build the place was.
[/quote]

Even with a golfnow deal of about $70, I still thought it was overpriced. I did also just read that they have been trying to see for over a year at a lower price than it's worth.

It has some potential to be a nicer course and there are some cool holes, but it is just too demanding from tee to green. It's a "I'm going to trick you" type of demanding rather than being rewarded for good shots and penalized for really poor shots. I hope it gets sold, changes are made to improve the playability and cost is more appropriately set. Someone give me millions and I can start working on this in my free time.

Mizuno MP-54 3-5 DG 120
Mizuno MP-64 6-PW DG 120

[quote name='ocburg17' timestamp='1414085015' post='10339271']

[/quote]

Even with a golfnow deal of about $70, I still thought it was overpriced. I did also just read that they have been trying to see for over a year at a lower price than it's worth.

It has some potential to be a nicer course and there are some cool holes, but it is just too demanding from tee to green. It's a "I'm going to trick you" type of demanding rather than being rewarded for good shots and penalized for really poor shots. I hope it gets sold, changes are made to improve the playability and cost is more appropriately set. Someone give me millions and I can start working on this in my free time.
[/quote]That's how I feel about it.

I played a few high school matches up there and everyone hated it.

The problem is that it isn't really near anything. Not worth the drive up there.

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

[quote name='CactusGolf' timestamp='1414085296' post='10339293']
[quote name='ocburg17' timestamp='1414085015' post='10339271']

[/quote]

[/quote]That's how I feel about it.

I played a few high school matches up there and everyone hated it.

The problem is that it isn't really near anything. Not worth the drive up there.
[/quote]

On top of all that, they probably have the worst hamburger of any 19th hole I've eaten in. Blech!

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1414096718' post='10340403']
On top of all that, they probably have the worst hamburger of any 19th hole I've eaten in. Blech!
[/quote]

Ha. I did have a burger but I was so frustrated at the round/course that I probably ate it in 3 bites. Just wanted to get the f out of there.

Mizuno MP-54 3-5 DG 120
Mizuno MP-64 6-PW DG 120

• 1 month later...

Want to slightly revisit this tread. NEVER play fire ridge. The course was in nice shape about 2 years ago, but I played there at least 3 times this year and it was in awful shape. In addition, Im not a huge fan of the design. Sorry about the slight rant, but it seemed to be getting way too much credit from the posts I read.

TSR3 10* - Diamana DF 70tx
TSR3 15* - Tensei Black 1K 75x
716 TMB 2i - AMT White x100
Miura CB57 4&5i - Dynamic Gold x7

Miura MB001 6-P - Dynamic Gold x7
Vokey SM9 50-54-60 - Project X 7.0
Squareback, Newport 2, Method 90, LAB Blad, & many more

Pro V1x Left Dash

Yes fire ridge was in worse shape this year than last year but still a course worth playing. It is a good scramble course too which i do yearly with the company I work for.

Anyone have opinions on Fox Hills? I have a spring 3 day trip out there. For the total price I know it wont be great but the group im going with has been going for 4-5 years so it cant be awful.

Mizuno MP-54 3-5 DG 120
Mizuno MP-64 6-PW DG 120

[quote name='ocburg17' timestamp='1418494286' post='10588349']
Yes fire ridge was in worse shape this year than last year but still a course worth playing. It is a good scramble course too which i do yearly with the company I work for.

Anyone have opinions on Fox Hills? I have a spring 3 day trip out there. For the total price I know it wont be great but the group im going with has been going for 4-5 years so it cant be awful.
[/quote]

I'm close to Fox Hills and its nothing special; there is the red, white, and blue 9's, pretty average muni. parkland style 27... nothing tricky and pretty open; The National is their nicer course and it's links style...I played it last year it was not in great shape, fwy's were not kept up, nor were the tee boxes...looked liked they hadn't been mowed in a week. There are a few signature type holes that are fun, but other than that it's just an ok course. I was surprised re: the condition, as its typically in better shape.

I'm not picky and will play just about anywhere and try to get to the National once per year and I'll typically play one or two of the other 9's in spring as they typically open up early. Have fun and if you plan on venturing elsewhere for a round, lmk and I could give you some suggestions.

[quote name='AMATEUR_GOLFER79' timestamp='1418513737' post='10589483']
Washington county
Morning star

Broadlands had terrible greens almost all season to have such a nice layout. Bumpiest greens I've played on in a long time.
[/quote]That's too bad. Definitely a good layout. One of the few courses with a par 3 finishing hole.

Morning Star wasn't worth the cost. IIRC, close to $65.

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

I played a league on Thursdays at Broadland. When I first seen the course there was so much potential till I reached the greens. Worst ball marks ever. Bumpiest greens. It took till late August for the greens to smooth out.

To me Morningstar is worth the cash to play. I love that course. Another great course to play is Naga-waukee.
It is one of my favorites and the price is excellent for a course that is as well kept as it

[quote name='ode1' timestamp='1418501549' post='10588691']
[quote name='ocburg17' timestamp='1418494286' post='10588349']

[/quote]

I'm close to Fox Hills and its nothing special; there is the red, white, and blue 9's, pretty average muni. parkland style 27... nothing tricky and pretty open; The National is their nicer course and it's links style...I played it last year it was not in great shape, fwy's were not kept up, nor were the tee boxes...looked liked they hadn't been mowed in a week. There are a few signature type holes that are fun, but other than that it's just an ok course. I was surprised re: the condition, as its typically in better shape.

I'm not picky and will play just about anywhere and try to get to the National once per year and I'll typically play one or two of the other 9's in spring as they typically open up early. Have fun and if you plan on venturing elsewhere for a round, lmk and I could give you some suggestions.
[/quote]

Thanks for the response. I didn't expect much based on the price which included lodging and some cash towards the bar. It is a 3 day event (36 holes, 36 holes, 18 holes I believe) with 16 guys. I believe we play all the courses and you play your own ball throughout, but beyond that, not sure the rules. I'm just looking forward to being able to play again, and that is 6 months away still.

My buddy's family just bought a lake house on the east side of Winnebago so I'm sure we will be golfing a few times up that way.

Mizuno MP-54 3-5 DG 120
Mizuno MP-64 6-PW DG 120

• 3 weeks later...

Pine Hills in Sheboygan
Hidden Glen in Cedarburg

[/quote]
I also highly recommend playing both Lawsonia courses in Green Lake. If you want to head west, Lake Arrowhead has two great courses and you can actually drive off-road and look at the site for the new Sand Valley course that Mike Keiser is building & Coore/Crenshaw architect.

• 1 month later...

Depends what you want to play.

Broadlands, Morningstar, Fire Ridge, Washington County, Lawsonia (Links) are all links style courses.
Brown Deer, Lawsonia (Woodlands), The Bull, are more woodsy.

Don't forget about Wild Rock or Trappers Turn in Wisconsin Dells. Also University Ridge in Madison.

I would shoot for Lawsonia if I were you. It's a bit more expensive, but such nice courses. The Bull was nice as well, but also expensive.
If you're looking for quick and inexpensive, there's always Kettle Hills. It's like 15 minutes West of Erin Hills and a really fun track. (two 18's and a 9). Heck, you could play all three for under $100.