Confessions of Ignorance: Share your Confusion as a Rookie WRX'er

Drudersh

Reason, I need to go watch those guys up close one of these days, it would probably help me. Sounds like it was a blast! Nice pic too!!

As for the trolls there are far too many, I was lurking in that "12" thread mostly for entertainment lol, but I did learn a lot, thanks Ninja!! But yeah, unfortunately I catch myself wanting to feel the trolls sometimes but then I realize it's a random person on the internet that means nothing to me LOL. As they say sometimes "haters gonna hate" some people are just d*cks and hate themselves so they feel the need to drag others into their crappy mentality.............via the internet :rofl:

[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1428641018' post='11325333']
[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1428640513' post='11325299']
[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1428639956' post='11325237']
Tiger, Striker (who has the swing I love most), and Mark O'meara. Lindsey Vonn and Woods kids to the right. Tiger missed a hole in one by inches. One of his kids made the birdie putt.

Side story - earlier a little band of guys had a few too many and got a touch loud. Funny thing how quickly and quietly really big Sheriffs walk up and ask folks to take a little walk with them!
[/quote]

Nice, you were practically on the tee box!

I'm a fan of Stricker's swing too. Doesn't even appear to have a wrist
set but pretty deadly with a wedge in hand.
[/quote]

Totally agree about Stricker. So many people seem to want to emulate Phil's lag, or Zach Johnson's hand path and such. Same with trying to emulate Hogan's swing down to the microsecond. IMHO - those are very dangerous motions to try and copy. But Stricker does something I think is worth at least trying - which is to keep the hands quieter.

Btw Rad the earlier reference was to Jason Day - the Aussie. I heard Duff lost a lost of weight too but I never saw him there.
[/quote]

Day looks like he's been in the gym lately!! I agree about Strickers swing, it's a very simple move. Plus he putts light out too!!

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1428640779' post='11325319']
[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1428639956' post='11325237']
Tiger, Striker (who has the swing I love most), and Mark O'meara.
[/quote]

Reason that must be awesome to be there live. Thank you for sharing that pic. The perspective is great.
[/quote]

Ninn - Here is a rare look at the par 3 16th green. We see it on TV from the tee box thru the green and back. But from the side you see just how long it is. I was hoping this photo would show the change in elevation from the farthest bunkers to those closest but it misses the mark on that front. its very dramatic in a short span (probably 15 yards or so.) The Sunday pin placement is usually to the left side of this pic. That's where the famous Jack birdie and Tiger's pitch came from. An interesting thing I notice is the TV tower to the left of the green houses Verne Lundquist. LOL - I have no clue how that get him up in there! God Bless him but the man is as wide as he is tall! "IN YOUR LIFE" can you picture him climbing a ladder?

Also interesting is the fact that about 30 yards to the immediate left of this view is the 6th hole fairway which is also a par 3. The tee box is well up on a hill top. the first 1/3 of that fairway is a where fans sit on the hillside and watch balls fly over their heads to the green. Its a little unique for there to be a hole where the fans are in the fairway - but the player doesn't even see them since the tee box is just far enough back from the precipice to block the view of hundred of fans right in front of them. Heaven help those folks if a pro ever tops one!

[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1428642533' post='11325433']
[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1428640779' post='11325319']
Reason that must be awesome to be there live. Thank you for sharing that pic. The perspective is great.
[/quote]

Ninn - Here is a rare look at the par 3 16th green. We see it on TV from the tee box thru the green and back. But from the side you see just how long it is. I was hoping this photo would show the change in elevation from the farthest bunkers to those closest but it misses the mark on that front. its very dramatic in a short span (probably 15 yards or so.) The Sunday pin placement is usually to the left side of this pic. That's where the famous Jack birdie and Tiger's pitch came from. An interesting thing I notice is the TV tower to the left of the green houses Verne Lundquist. LOL - I have no clue how that get him up in there! God Bless him but the man is as wide as he is tall! "IN YOUR LIFE" can you picture him climbing a ladder?

Also interesting is the fact that about 30 yards to the immediate left of this view is the 6th hole fairway which is also a par 3. The tee box is well up on a hill top. the first 1/3 of that fairway is a where fans sit on the hillside and watch balls fly over their heads to the green. Its a little unique for there to be a hole where the fans are in the fairway - but the player doesn't even see them since the tee box is just far enough back from the precipice to block the view of hundred of fans right in front of them. Heaven help those folks if a pro ever tops one!
[/quote]

Nice intel as usual Reason. I have played a replica of #16 at this course in Wisconsin called Northern Bay. And I can attest to that slope if it was anything close to the real thing at Augusta. You just have to barely tap your putts if you are anywhere above the hole. It's the kind of green where a sidehill 2 footer is no gimme.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Beautiful pics Judge! And beautiful blue skies!

Though I've never been to Augusta National these pics remind me
a lot of the RTJ courses at home. No azaleas or so perfectly manicured
but the whole look is so familiar to me, i.e. parkland with pines, etc,
and tightly mown fairways and lots of water.

That green on 12, I assume it's 12 lol, looks so small and shallow. Not
much room to land on the green! And is it my eyes or does that green
slope a lot also from left to right? That's a small target from 150 yards
out.

And 16 is the other way around; very deep but not very wide and water
lurking if you pull your tee shot.

I have heard the "landing" areas on the fairways and greens are
actually very small cause the slopes will send balls away of you miss
by just a little. Genius I think for a course that can be played by anyone
and have fun yet require great precision if you have a mind to try
and shoot a "score" on it.

Thanks for putting those up!

Ninn there was a course in Tx that claimed to be an assembly of world famous holes. You would tee off on a replica of a hole at St. Andrews, then play a hole from TPC Sawgrass, etc. It had its own "amen corner" and the story goes Augusta National sued them for use of their name and signature hole designs without permission. Not sure how that law suit ended. I believe the course was allowed to continue operating so long as they removed all references to Augusta National.

A couple of not so well known facts - Augusta National property was purchased from the Birkman family by Bobby Jones. At the time the property was a plant/tree nursery. Each hole is named for a species of plant. The 13th hole pictured above is called "Azalea". All holes have a yardage that ends in zero or five. The 12th hole is a par 3 that is only 12 steps from front to back. Can you imagine flying a ball over water to a green that small??? :Phew!

[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1428644694' post='11325517']
Ninn there was a course in Tx that claimed to be an assembly of world famous holes. You would tee off on a replica of a hole at St. Andrews, then play a hole from TPC Sawgrass, etc. It had its own "amen corner" and the story goes Augusta National sued them for use of their name and signature hole designs without permission. Not sure how that law suit ended. I believe the course was allowed to continue operating so long as they removed all references to Augusta National.

A couple of not so well known facts - Augusta National property was purchased from the Birkman family by Bobby Jones. At the time the property was a plant/tree nursery. Each hole is named for a species of plant. The 13th hole pictured above is called "Azalea". All holes have a yardage that ends in zero or five. The 12th hole is a par 3 that is only 12 steps from front to back. Can you imagine flying a ball over water to a green that small??? :Phew!
[/quote]

So that was 13 and not 12 you showed. How are those guys hitting
that tiny green in 2 from so far away? That shot is fraught with danger!

A couple of not so well known facts - Augusta National property was purchased from the Birkman family -0lby Bobby Jones. At the time the property was a plant/tree nursery. Each hole is named for a species of plant. The 13th hole pictured above is called "Azalea". All holes have a yardage that ends in zero or five. The 12th hole is a par 3 that is only 12 steps from front to back. Can you imagine flying a ball over water to a green that small??? :Phew!
[/quote]

I played that course pre lawsuit days, it was called Tour 18, I was 16 my Dad had to go to Houston once a year for training and he dropped me off there 2 days in a row. It was like 18 dollars for me because I was a junior at the time. Real nice course, I remember amen corner, they had the scoreboard, vegetation was spot on for all the different holes too. They also had Sawgrass 17 as well lol!

Great pics btw Judge!!

Rad the 13th green is post #7622. Its a little hard to see it from this angle but Rae's creek fronts that green. The grass in the fairways is tightly mown and uniformly looks like a tightly mown collar around most greens we AMs play. There is no second cut of rough. There is a first cut which is maybe 3/4" tall and is completely smooth and uniform - devoid of sticks, rocks, weeds, bumps, etc.

Yes, SOME of the fairways are undulating and change radically in side slope.... but that's actually a little bit rare. Most of the elevation changes in a fairway there are from high to low with some gentle leftward or rightward slope. What is a touch tricky is on many/most holes there is a couple of fairly significant "moguls".... these sort of two to three foot tall little bumps in otherwise flat ground. The heck of it is they are subtle but located exactly where you wouldn't want them. 8 and 11 have them in spades. Landing on one of them would shoot an approach shot into all sorts of odd directions. Pitching from one could mean a very odd stance is required.

Because of the short rough, tall pines and pine straw between fairways - an errant drive is generally recoverable. But its very much a placement course. The better approach shot can only be taken from one side of a given fairway. The false fronts on so many greens and closely mown grasses surrounding greens cause balls to spin right off the green and often into trouble. At the end of the day - its all about putting at Augusta. I've seen golfers turned well past 90 degrees to the hole, barely tap the ball and a 50 foot breaking roll-out ensued. If you putt from the right places - it looks like a course where low scores are possible. Its interesting to watch pros actually trying to take spin OFF of their approach shots. They tend to want to hit the ball very high and land it softly with very little spin. As we've talked about here in this thread - the shot that throws the ball up high is a little less predictable in terms of spin and distance control. But at Augusta that low hot spinning bullet is not a good option for most approaches. 18 and a few holes would allow for that but most greens would just puke those shots right back off the putting surface.

[quote name='Palauan Hammer' timestamp='1428645870' post='11325555']

A couple of not so well known facts - Augusta National property was purchased from the Birkman family -0lby Bobby Jones. At the time the property was a plant/tree nursery. Each hole is named for a species of plant. The 13th hole pictured above is called "Azalea". All holes have a yardage that ends in zero or five. The 12th hole is a par 3 that is only 12 steps from front to back. Can you imagine flying a ball over water to a green that small??? :Phew!
[/quote]

I played that course pre lawsuit days, it was called Tour 18, I was 16 my Dad had to go to Houston once a year for training and he dropped me off there 2 days in a row. It was like 18 dollars for me because I was a junior at the time. Real nice course, I remember amen corner, they had the scoreboard, vegetation was spot on for all the different holes too. They also had Sawgrass 17 as well lol!

Great pics btw Judge!!
[/quote]

Well Ham we have one more thing in common! I played it once in the early 1990s. Still have the hat in my closet! LOL. I forgot the name of it until you mentioned it.

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1428645277' post='11325543']

[/quote]

So that was 13 and not 12 you showed. How are those guys hitting
that tiny green in 2 from so far away? That shot is fraught with danger!
[/quote]

Its a little deceptive from this one photo shot. There is a bail-out area to the left of that green as seen in the photo. Its a par five and the best gamble is to drive to the middle of the dog leg and lay up to the right of Rae's creek. But its possible if you boom the drive with enough length and right to left curve that the green can be reached it two.

If you use the lay-up strategy you get this shot...

That lay up (if you can get up and down) is a sure birdie, But on Sunday the pin is close to Rae's creek. Everything on that green is TRYING to feed the ball into that creek. Risk/reward like you've never seen it! Go for the green in two and make eagle, you just closed in on the field by two strokes. Lay up and go for birdie. Screw either strategy up and you just went backwards.

Confession - I've been to Augusta more than any other tour stop. I've been lucky. Had jobs in the past where we entertained there. Now I get there every three or four years by virtue of the lottery. But in the 1990s I was typically there every day for the entire week. I confess - given the good times, the ups and downs in my life - the struggles - when I get to Amen corner I break down. I did it this year. Cried like a baby. Its the most pristine and gorgeous piece of golf real estate I've ever seen. Its not possible for a picture or words to describe it and it gets to me every time I see it.

Well gents - I've babbled enough for one eve! LOL.

Thanks for allowing me to dump on you all. This is one super amped up week for me each year. Selfishly I just can't contain myself. This is the week when I start twisting arms of playing pards to steal away and play and yak ceaselessly about the Masters. Got one of those little green chairs one year and it sits in front of the tube all weekend. Mrs. Reason fires up a cheesecake and we drink from cups we collected over the years with the Augusta National logo on them. The laptops have the streaming coverage running. It totally dominates the household. All relatives know to call only if they are on their deathbed until after 7 PM EST! I sleep on the couch with Golf Channel on 24/7!

For the sake of you all - I'll do my level best to log on only occasionally this weekend so others can get a word in edgewise! LOL.

Judge Reason loses all sense of reason for one week each April and you guys have a front row seat to seeing golf insanity at its highest!!!!!

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Judge I always appreciate your posts and insight! The course looks absolutely amazing but I'm sure it's more breathtaking in person, perhaps one day I can see that course! This is one of the few weeks in the last year that I'm actually looking forward to something. The Masters would be the one major I would want to win if I were on Tour, followed closely by the Open Championship. Because of the time difference I'm up at 4am making breakfast so I can watch the coverage which begins at 5am Guam time. Also I'll confess I get emotional watching the Masters now because it was the first golf tournament I watched after my run in with the law and I was battling deep depression. Watching the tv coverage helped me get through the day without thinking my life was over, crying all day, or other worse thoughts like sleeping and not waking up. I was in a real real real bad place mentally this time last year. I've come a loooong way since then, I'm glad to watching the Masters this year with an entirely different perspective on life. Anyway that's my little confession rant haha!! Woooooooohooooo Masters Baby :taunt:

[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1428648578' post='11325625']

Thanks for allowing me to dump on you all. This is one super amped up week for me each year. Selfishly I just can't contain myself. This is the week when I start twisting arms of playing pards to steal away and play and yak ceaselessly about the Masters. Got one of those little green chairs one year and it sits in front of the tube all weekend. Mrs. Reason fires up a cheesecake and we drink from cups we collected over the years with the Augusta National logo on them. The laptops have the streaming coverage running. It totally dominates the household. All relatives know to call only if they are on their deathbed until after 7 PM EST! I sleep on the couch with Golf Channel on 24/7!

For the sake of you all - I'll do my level best to log on only occasionally this weekend so others can get a word in edgewise! LOL.

Judge Reason loses all sense of reason for one week each April and you guys have a front row seat to seeing golf insanity at its highest!!!!!

[/quote]
Thanks again Reasy! We can at least have the vicarious experience. I will have to put it on my bucket list. On another vein. I tried to post a bit last night and it was impossible. Is the wrx getting slower and slower for yaall? Is it getting killed by it's own success?

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

[quote name='scotee' timestamp='1428681376' post='11327669']

[/quote]
Thanks again Reasy! We can at least have the vicarious experience. I will have to put it on my bucket list. On another vein. I tried to post a bit last night and it was impossible. Is the wrx getting slower and slower for yaall? Is it getting killed by it's own success?
[/quote]Was bad for awhile then last couple weeks got a lot better. Today just this thread has been way past slow. Got off and on three times before I could finally get to this pg. 255. Worst day ever for this thread. That said 255 pgs is going to be slow anyhow, and like today, impossible sometimes.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

[quote name='Qqq123xx' timestamp='1428692024' post='11328759']
[quote name='scotee' timestamp='1428681376' post='11327669']

[/quote]
[/quote]Was bad for awhile then last couple weeks got a lot better. Today just this thread has been way past slow. Got off and on three times before I could finally get to this pg. 255. Worst day ever for this thread. That said 255 pgs is going to be slow anyhow, and like today, impossible sometimes.
[/quote]

Ya, I think it IS the size of this thread after all.

Jordan sets a new 36 hole record @ 130 (-14) and Charley Hoffman's
great playing at -10 so far is way overshadowed, lol.

Good day for Tiger IMHO. He's made the cut and has a shot at a top 10.

The afternoon groups better get it in gear if they want a chance. No one
has come from behind to win when 9 shots or more back after 36 holes
at Augusta.......

I know what you guys mean by slow haha, took me about 15 minutes just to get in here! How about Jordan Spieth!? 64, then 66!! Impressive, but coming from him it doesn't surprise me that kid is something special. NOW he definitely has one arm in the jacket. Tiger played well, hope he goes low this weekend, just now watching his highlights, he made a lot of putts.

[quote name='Palauan Hammer' timestamp='1428695082' post='11329109']
I know what you guys mean by slow haha, took me about 15 minutes just to get in here! How about Jordan Spieth!? 64, then 66!! Impressive, but coming from him it doesn't surprise me that kid is something special. NOW he definitely has one arm in the jacket. Tiger played well, hope he goes low this weekend, just now watching his highlights, he made a lot of putts.
[/quote]

The afternoon guys seem to be struggling. They look up and see that -14 and
and wonder what course Jordan is playing, LMAO.

Rad, I noticed that too, it's like no one has energy out there!!! It's the fricken MASTERS, go for broke or live in regret hahaha! I bet it would be deflating to see that score up there, but still 2 rounds to go and anything can happen. Rory is kinda disappointing me not with his score, but with his attitude. At least to thrown clubs, but with all that game and your slumping your shoulders with half of your round still to go. He needs to grind it out!! Jason Day had a rough round today unfortunately. Dustin Johnson is on the move!! Hopefully the weekend gets interesting or it's a massive, record setting blowout LOL. I would also like to add that I'm impressed with Charley Hoffmans play, way to follow up that first round.

[quote name='Palauan Hammer' timestamp='1428701721' post='11329915']
Rad, I noticed that too, it's like no one has energy out there!!! It's the fricken MASTERS, go for broke or live in regret hahaha! I bet it would be deflating to see that score up there, but still 2 rounds to go and anything can happen. Rory is kinda disappointing me not with his score, but with his attitude. At least to thrown clubs, but with all that game and your slumping your shoulders with half of your round still to go. He needs to grind it out!! Jason Day had a rough round today unfortunately. Dustin Johnson is on the move!! Hopefully the weekend gets interesting or it's a massive, record setting blowout LOL. I would also like to add that I'm impressed with Charley Hoffmans play, way to follow up that first round.
[/quote]

Ya, DJ might have a shot. Did he make 3 eagles today? I thought
I heard that but maybe I heard it wrong, lol

[quote name='Palauan Hammer' timestamp='1428702426' post='11329979']
Yes he did, 3 of them! Aaaaand as I soon as I call out Rory he hits it to 3 feet at 13 for Eagle LOL. Shows I know nothing haha!!
[/quote]

3 eagles in one round is amazing. I wonder how often that happens?

So, do you all think Jordan will cruise to a wire to wire win....or do you
think he'll experience some adversity and have to battle? He has control
of the tournament pretty much. If there were 8 guys at -9 that would be
one thing as you could expect 1 or 2 to go low but.....he has 1 at -9 and
3 at -7 so 4 guys that could pressure him.....but again he can shoot 70/70
on the weekend and win IMHO and ignore what the other guys are doing.

Gonna be fun to see it unfold starting tomorrow.

[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1428709399' post='11330737']
Lets retire this thread guys. I'll start another right here in the 19th hole. This poor old cart is pushing us versus the other way around.

We can call it Confessions Part 2.

See you there. Have it up and running in about 15 mins!
[/quote]

Ya, it's time. This thread is just too slow and we are important people
and our time is valuable! :nyam:

• 1 year later...

Ants have become the primary pest infesting homes in recent years and are usually very difficult to control. Successful control of ant infestations takes some skill that is gained through knowledge of ant behavior and experience in dealing with ants.

I like ants, specially when they are in the walls of the house.

Living in Australia, termites are a huge problem, without knowing they are there they can totally destroy the structural integrity of the house.

Ants love to eat termites so if you have ants in your wall you are safe from termites.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).