2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

Ps 6 iron speed is high 80's. I can get up higher when I want to go for it, sometimes do. Is the 125 as stable as SPB? You could absolutely stand on those shafts without worry

Ps 6 iron speed is high 80's. I can get up higher when I want to go for it, sometimes do. Is the 125 as stable as SPB? You could absolutely stand on those shafts without worry

For anyone who's moved from the 120 to the 125...

120x is my top end flex for an iron. It's sweet but I want to go to a more balanced profile. Considered soft stepping but what fun would that be when they're are new shafts to be had. I loved super peening blues in hard step stiff but that was 3-4 mph's ago. Is it as simple as 125 S straight in? Fresh 716 ap2's await, my $300 is in your hands folks!

Thanks

I would guess 125's straight in and I think you would be fine.

For anyone who's moved from the 120 to the 125...

120x is my top end flex for an iron. It's sweet but I want to go to a more balanced profile. Considered soft stepping but what fun would that be when they're are new shafts to be had. I loved super peening blues in hard step stiff but that was 3-4 mph's ago. Is it as simple as 125 S straight in? Fresh 716 ap2's await, my $300 is in your hands folks!

Thanks

125S straight in would also be my suggestion, but if you think the heavier weight is going to be an issue you could softstep it a little to soften it up enough for 80% swinging.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

125 has more spin for me. Not enough to turn me away from it but if you struggle with spin or hooks the 125 may make that worse compared to SPB. The big difference is the exceptional feel of the Tour125 over the muted sort of heavy dead feel for SPB.

125 has more spin for me. Not enough to turn me away from it but if you struggle with spin or hooks the 125 may make that worse compared to SPB. The big difference is the exceptional feel of the Tour125 over the muted sort of heavy dead feel for SPB.

Can you elaborate a little on the comment about the 125 and hooks? Would hooks just be a little exaggerated due to extra spin?

Can you elaborate a little on the comment about the 125 and hooks? Would hooks just be a little exaggerated due to extra spin?

Yeah.

I used to struggle with hooks bad with DG and KBS. Tour125, and Tour130 even more so, I don't pull it / hook it as often as I used to. But if I do, the miss isn't nearly as far left as with DG or KBS which both would just spin WAY left. I know, DG is lower spin, but I tell ya I ballooned it and it hooked. Majorly bad for S300 ro S400. X100 would be more like a Tour125 where it will just kind of drift left on a minor pull. But I play a straight ballflight naturally. I tried to force right to left for a long time when I worked at a course with a lot of wind, trying to trap draw it and keep it low. But I did hit a 6i on a par3 the other day that sailed 20y over the green and probably 40y left of the target. But that is me starting it at the pin and then drawing it with a right to left wind.

SPB was pretty stout and had low low spin so a hooking ball didn't really spin left as much, it just kind of pulled left and stayed on that line. So I guess it is lateral dispersion I'm referring to? I have never had issues with over-fading or over cutting an iron. So right side was never a problem. Left side years past was major headache. Don't get me wrong, I can still hook a Tour125. But that is more me than the shaft, I tend to pull the club left before impact causing a pull or pull fade. Something I'm working on this year is to keep my hands moving forward longer and not around my body.

I will say this for me these do not hook at all. My typical 10-15 yard draw with steel fiber 125x's (I know everybody says these play very stiff but they are softer than any other x flex I have hit, so not sure if I got a bum set or something, my club builder did say they frequency out just above an s300 so I am guessing that is why they hard draw/hook for me) have been reduced down to a 2-3 yard draw and now I can't move the ball as much with the modus 125's. I actually prefer that because I don't wanna be like Bubba and try and hook/fade every shot as much as possible. I know that is how he see's the game but I always figure if you can hit it straight that's the easiest way to score.

Yeah.

I used to struggle with hooks bad with DG and KBS. Tour125, and Tour130 even more so, I don't pull it / hook it as often as I used to. But if I do, the miss isn't nearly as far left as with DG or KBS which both would just spin WAY left. I know, DG is lower spin, but I tell ya I ballooned it and it hooked. Majorly bad for S300 ro S400. X100 would be more like a Tour125 where it will just kind of drift left on a minor pull. But I play a straight ballflight naturally. I tried to force right to left for a long time when I worked at a course with a lot of wind, trying to trap draw it and keep it low. But I did hit a 6i on a par3 the other day that sailed 20y over the green and probably 40y left of the target. But that is me starting it at the pin and then drawing it with a right to left wind.

SPB was pretty stout and had low low spin so a hooking ball didn't really spin left as much, it just kind of pulled left and stayed on that line. So I guess it is lateral dispersion I'm referring to? I have never had issues with over-fading or over cutting an iron. So right side was never a problem. Left side years past was major headache. Don't get me wrong, I can still hook a Tour125. But that is more me than the shaft, I tend to pull the club left before impact causing a pull or pull fade. Something I'm working on this year is to keep my hands moving forward longer and not around my body.

Mark,

Out of curiousity, on your last line their you stated you tend to pull the ball left. With all the trackman data now showing that the face dictates where the ball starts is it possible you are shutting down the face so the ball starts left? I am just curious because I know that is what I fight, I flip the face closed at the last second sometimes and that causes the ball to start left but my swing path is to the right causing the right to left spin

Mark,

Out of curiousity, on your last line their you stated you tend to pull the ball left. With all the trackman data now showing that the face dictates where the ball starts is it possible you are shutting down the face so the ball starts left? I am just curious because I know that is what I fight, I flip the face closed at the last second sometimes and that causes the ball to start left but my swing path is to the right causing the right to left spin

Yeah, I'm closing the face and pulling left. But it doesn't always close, I have been hitting a slight (maybe 1-2y) cut with irons too so I am coming left with face square causing lateral spin to left, making ball turn right. It's because I drop my hands inside and sometimes get jammed so I turn around my body too fast and end up moving left early. I'm working on keeping my left shoulder down and clearing my hips better to create space for my room. Distance and accuracy is better since I've been focusing on that.

this might be the wrong time to ask , as I already purchased the irons (714 AP2 120 X's) ... BUT .....

I have played a lot of iron shafts and tend to gravitate to DGS300 as my "go to"

last year I tested some X100's and truth be told, I hit them higher and with less spin then S300's, and really loved the ball flight and shape

but I lost EASILY a club or so in distance, w equal lofts and shaft lengths compared

and in my long irons, could not hit anything but a 10 yd fade and was dead in a left to right wind, I could not turn them over

back to S300's and it was all normal again

based on what I've read here I should be ok in the 120 X's, as they tend to play a tad softer, no?

I am happy w the ball flight of the S300's, even a tad higher Id be OK with too

spin seems to be fine w them, maybe a little "balloony" into a head wind

for what its worth, I THINK my SS is in the 106-109 range

hit my 6i 180-182yds max carry

medium smooth tempo, short 3/4 swing

playing to a 2-3 index depending on time of year

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

Mark,

Yeah, I'm closing the face and pulling left. But it doesn't always close, I have been hitting a slight (maybe 1-2y) cut with irons too so I am coming left with face square causing lateral spin to left, making ball turn right. It's because I drop my hands inside and sometimes get jammed so I turn around my body too fast and end up moving left early. I'm working on keeping my left shoulder down and clearing my hips better to create space for my room. Distance and accuracy is better since I've been focusing on that.

That makes sense. I didn't see the part about the baby fade. Still 1-2 yards certainly isn't the worst miss ever.

this might be the wrong time to ask , as I already purchased the irons (714 AP2 120 X's) ... BUT .....

I have played a lot of iron shafts and tend to gravitate to DGS300 as my "go to"

last year I tested some X100's and truth be told, I hit them higher and with less spin then S300's, but really loved the ball flight and shape

but I lost EASILY a club or so in distance, w equal lofts and shaft lengths compared

and in my long irons, could not hit anything but a 10 yd fade and was dead in a left to right wind, I could not turn them over

based on what I've read here I should be ok in the 120 X's, as they tend to play a tad softer, no?

It's just to hard to say until you hit them. I have almost the same stats as far as distance/tempo but I might have a touch higher swing speed and I found the 120's to balloon big time. Everyone is different so they could be money for you. I am a high ball hitter though so if your not they might just be perfect. The only way to tell is to hit them and hopefully they work out well. As far as flex I think you made the right choice, I wouldn't worry too much as c tapers ballooned for me. It just goes to show you what everyone experiences is different. I find the 125's to have the best flight/spin/dispersion out of the 120/125/130's.

Great stuff. No problem with spin, actually too low hitting 120x in srixon 745's playing a chrome soft most of the summer. Ball will fly forever and unpredictably. Went back to the prov1x and it helped. Gotta believe the 125s will launch a little higher. Btw played the 130s for a few months and could never get used to them. Hyper stiff with a tickler tip. Ok in long irons

last year I tested some X100's and truth be told, I hit them higher and with less spin then S300's, and really loved the ball flight and shape

I have similar speed numbers and played the 120x extensively. Won't feel like a x in the hands but the stability through impact will tell you it's a x.

I think you'll be fine

Yeah.

In your experience, was the lateral dispersion between the 130 and 125 similar?

Mark,

That makes sense. I didn't see the part about the baby fade. Still 1-2 yards certainly isn't the worst miss ever.

Lots of shots I'd pull maybe 10y left offline and then fade back only that 2y so I was missing leftside of green. I was almost never left of a bunker like I would be with KBS Tour. But left fringe/rough/bunker a lot more than I wanted. So then I tied to start playing a bigger cut to get it back on target but then I was swiping across the ball and exacerbating the pull-fade. It was a mess. Climbed rom 1.2 handi to 4.2. Finally sought out some help from an old buddy who straightened me out, back down to a 2.8 and trending down again.

Yeah.

In your experience, was the lateral dispersion between the 130 and 125 similar?

I think 125 is better for me, which is why I play it. 130 is high launching and lower spin so the wind can really move it around. And it seems it tails off one way of the other more often than 125. 125 is lower and straighter, fewer issues with windy days. Ultimately I switched from 130 to 125 for that reason, and the ability to manipulate trajectory easier (mostly ability to hit it lower / punch shots.)

Based on your numbers, you should be able to handle the 120x, no problem.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Does anyone have any kind of definitive specs on the 2T15 profile of the Proto's?

Tour Issue TaylorMade M6 9.5* (Mitsubishi Diamana X17 60x)
Tour Issue TaylorMade M5 15*(Mitsubishi Diamana Ahina 70x)
Tour Issue TaylorMade 19* 5-wood (Mitsubishi Diamana Ahina 80x)
TaylorMade P750 3-PW (Nippon Modus Proto "2T15")
TaylorMade MG Black 52* (Nippon Limited "Blue" 125)
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58* (Nippon Limited "Blue" 125)
TaylorMade Spider X

So I got my modus iron 125x, and the WV125 shafts for my wedge build.  I got two wedges, and thought I would try the Taylormade EF wedge in a 52 degree head.  I'm a vokey guy, but these look pretty cool, although one of them had a shallower hosel depth and weight was off, after I drilled it out, they were identical in weight, and depth.  So I built them up, same head weight, same swing weight, same grip, same length.  I currently play the 130x in my wedges and have been used to playing them.  The WV was still drying, but the 125x was ready and I took it to my Saturday game, it had been raining alot, so the range was closed and I just had to use it on the course as I played my round.  I probably wont do trackman, but will do more on-course comparison.  My first thoughts after taking my first shot with the 125x was that it felt much more lively than the 130x, as such it probably spins a tad more and has greater dispersion than 130x.  The 130x just seems to go straight where you hit it, but it kicks more toward the tip end of the shaft, and feels firm in the top half of the shaft.  To me 125x feels more flexible in the mid and butt, and overall feels more flexible than 130x.  For me, I would not want a wedge shaft or iron shaft any more flexible than the 125x. My first thought were that I would want my wedge (and iron) shaft a little stiffer than the 125x. I hope the WV is a little firmer.  I may consider hard stepping the 125x when I order a set with the Nippons....raw length weight of these, the 125x was 129 grams, the WV was 132 grams......more to come.....

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

So I got my modus iron 125x, and the WV125 shafts for my wedge build. I got two wedges, and thought I would try the Taylormade EF wedge in a 52 degree head. I'm a vokey guy, but these look pretty cool, although one of them had a shallower hosel depth and weight was off, after I drilled it out, they were identical in weight, and depth. So I built them up, same head weight, same swing weight, same grip, same length. I currently play the 130x in my wedges and have been used to playing them. The WV was still drying, but the 125x was ready and I took it to my Saturday game, it had been raining alot, so the range was closed and I just had to use it on the course as I played my round. I probably wont do trackman, but will do more on-course comparison. My first thoughts after taking my first shot with the 125x was that it felt much more lively than the 130x, as such it probably spins a tad more and has greater dispersion than 130x. The 130x just seems to go straight where you hit it, but it kicks more toward the tip end of the shaft, and feels firm in the top half of the shaft. To me 125x feels more flexible in the mid and butt, and overall feels more flexible than 130x. For me, I would not want a wedge shaft or iron shaft any more flexible than the 125x. My first thought were that I would want my wedge (and iron) shaft a little stiffer than the 125x. I hope the WV is a little firmer. I may consider hard stepping the 125x when I order a set with the Nippons....raw length weight of these, the 125x was 129 grams, the WV was 132 grams......more to come.....

The original WV will feel half way between a 125X and a 130X IMO. Firmer for sure, less lively, I usually review the original WV as muted and dead. SPB users seem to like it. Have you ever hit a SPB X? You may want to look into a set of those for wedge trials too.

Original WV? Tell me more about this and which WV do I have? My WV says 125 on it. No flex. Thanks.

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

Original WV? Tell me more about this and which WV do I have? My WV says 125 on it. No flex. Thanks.

You have the original WV, with the purpleish little chevron. They made that in 105, 115 and 125 also. There is a new "Modus WV" which is livlier than the orginal and probably doesn't sound like something you want to try. The original there is a stiffer version that is slightly higher launch and lower spin. The newer one has a little softer lower mid & tip section so it launches low and spins more, like a bit of a built-in balloon effect in a wedge shaft.

Mark,

Question about the Modus 105 stiff and the 1050gh stiff. I've read a few reviews where these seem to be awful close to each other as far as measurements go. (from what I've read the Modus 105 is a little more stiff in the tip) From your experience, would a hard stepped 1050 stiff play even closer to the Modus 105 stiff straight in?

Thank you

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Ping i230 4 - UW (pwrspc)| Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 R

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 56*/mid, 60*/low| Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

Mark,

Question about the Modus 105 stiff and the 1050gh stiff. I've read a few reviews where these seem to be awful close to each other as far as measurements go. (from what I've read the Modus 105 is a little more stiff in the tip) From your experience, would a hard stepped 1050 stiff play even closer to the Modus 105 stiff straight in?

Thank you

Going off Tom's software, the tips of the taper tip 1050 and the 105 are pretty much identical. The butt-mid section is a bit stiffer throughout on the 105 over the 1050, not by a lot though.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Mark,

Thank you

For me the weighting is a big difference. 105 feels better balanced. But yeah, the 105 is going to be flatter launch and lower spin. I have a 1050 in a wedge somewhere and 1150's too but the 105 feels better. I feel like 105 can hang, 1050 was oddly weighted and lagged behind.

Does anyone have any kind of definitive specs on the 2T15 profile of the Proto's?

The exact words from the rep to me were "Proto, lighter version of 2S14, low flight and spin, one user, probably no release (meaning retail version.) He said it is heavier than 125, lighter than 2S14. Sounds very close to the C10, or possibly a heavier ORA shaft. So kind of like a SPB with maybe softer middle and firmer butt/tip. Ala heavy Tour125 kind of. Probably best to think of it as heavy Tour125. Not the same profile as 130/120.

Mark,

Thank you

For me the weighting is a big difference. 105 feels better balanced. But yeah, the 105 is going to be flatter launch and lower spin. I have a 1050 in a wedge somewhere and 1150's too but the 105 feels better. I feel like 105 can hang, 1050 was oddly weighted and lagged behind.

So do you think that the 950 is a better balanced shaft than the 1050?

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Ping i230 4 - UW (pwrspc)| Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 R

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 56*/mid, 60*/low| Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star