I am a Useless Putter

charles123

Help Me Please!
I have never been a very good putter and really didn't worry about it but now i have got my short game and long game sorted. It is really the only thing that holds me back when im playing. Every hole is usually 3 or 4 strokes from putting or 2 if I am lucky. Due to the drought in Australia my golf driving range putting green died and they ripped it up and cannot have one until water restrictions are reduced. I need some advice on putting. Im looking into getting a whole lesson based on putting with my coach but i need some drills i can practice at home i have carpet and floorboards to practice on or maybe i could buy something to putt on. The only green i can practice at is my club but thats about a 20 minute drive and i don't have my license So it is easier to do it from home.

Also I have thought about it might be my putter because it is a 2 ball copy i picked up cheap called fireform and i believe it doesnt square up properly but every now and then i have a good putting round. New putter is an option and i have looking around i am currently looking at Odyssey SRT 2 Ball, Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza, Scotty Cameron Newport. I have tried the SRT XG and didnt seem to help, Any suggestions are welcomed. I am off 27 and when my putting is sorted i know my handicap will drop very fast because i had -5 yesterday in Par with 40-50 putts. Any putting aids i could also buy that are fairly cheap are also an option.

Thanks in Advance
Charles

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be a terrible putter. However, I have had great success over the past several months since making the following changes: 1) switched from a regular grip to a cross-handed grip; 2) bought a putter that has the proper lie angle and length for my stroke; and 3) switched from a lightweight putter to heavier head (360g). So I say...experiment with grip and definitely look into getting a properly fitted putter.

I concur with the get properly fitted advice. As for putters, you don't need to spend Cameron money to get a quality stick. Odyssey, Ping, Taylor Made, and Nike (to name a few) make excellent putters for half the money or less. This is from someone who owns a host of Bettinardi's and Cameron's, too. Those are nice to have (and they look beautiful to the eye), but honestly, you aren't going to make more putts with them than you would with a properly fitted Odyssey or Ping.

The Dave Pelz Putting Tutor has been used by a few tour pros, and I think it is helpful ($30). I also hear that the Odyssey Marxman is supposed to be a good putter.

-

A drill that seems helpful for putting is taking a ruler and aiming it along your footline and then marking where your feet feel comfortable for a putting stance. And then mark where you position the ball. Once you have done this you can set up to the ball exactly the same each time, improving your putting hopefully.

Pelz clips are great for practicing center contact. You can use a couple of rubber bands for the same concept.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

This is what I started doing, YMMV

I started watching the movement of my putter head during the swing, and it was not good, all over the place.

So, I bent over and let my arms hang straight down,and then grasped the putter. My putter head movement was much truer, and it was much easier to hit straight putts. Where I ended up gripping the putter put me into a 33" putter, instead of the 35" I had before, and I am 6'1". For what ever reason, I have found it improves my stroke if I keep a 1" or so split between my hands.

I also believe in the high MOI putter heads. I bought a Mentorsports Duet, and that thing just wants to go straight.

My main focus is the under 8' or so putts. Practice knocking them straight in the hole. At least if you get that close, you have a good chance of closing it out.

As far as reading breaks, Pelz had a very good show on the subject, which demonstrated that most golfers do not allow for enough break.

I also practice putting into a 3" glass at home to refine my eye.

I have never been a very good putter and really didn't worry about it but now i have got my short game and long game sorted. It is really the only thing that holds me back when im playing. Every hole is usually 3 or 4 strokes from putting or 2 if I am lucky. Due to the drought in Australia my golf driving range putting green died and they ripped it up and cannot have one until water restrictions are reduced. I need some advice on putting. Im looking into getting a whole lesson based on putting with my coach but i need some drills i can practice at home i have carpet and floorboards to practice on or maybe i could buy something to putt on. The only green i can practice at is my club but thats about a 20 minute drive and i don't have my license So it is easier to do it from home.

Also I have thought about it might be my putter because it is a 2 ball copy i picked up cheap called fireform and i believe it doesnt square up properly but every now and then i have a good putting round. New putter is an option and i have looking around i am currently looking at Odyssey SRT 2 Ball, Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza, Scotty Cameron Newport. I have tried the SRT XG and didnt seem to help, Any suggestions are welcomed. I am off 27 and when my putting is sorted i know my handicap will drop very fast because i had -5 yesterday in Par with 40-50 putts. Any putting aids i could also buy that are fairly cheap are also an option.

Thanks in Advance

Charles

Stan Utley. Easiest to learn. Easiest to repeat. Cameron Newport or other toe balanced putter.

The boomerang is an Aussie product. :friends:

http://www.boomgolf.com/contact.htm

High MOI putters are the big ones. :cheesy:

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

Try reading Bob Rotella's Putting Out of Your Mind. If you are too worried about making a proper stroke etc while you are playing, you can handcuff yourself. His book is all about getting out of your own way and letting your natural feel for distance come through. His ideas are really helpful.

Callaway Epic

Callaway Apex Hybrid
Honma TW Muscle Backs
TP Mills Custom Soft Tail

I had the same problem my entire golfing career and played as a scratch player through college based on my ball striking and long game. My senior year I decided to give the long putter a try and have not looked back since I first tried it. For me it allows me to focus less on the mechanics of the stroke and focus more on getting the ball in the hole. I currently play off of an index of 2.1 and have made my putting from a detriment into a strong point in my game. I am currently working on a streak of 108 holes without a 3 putt, which I am sure will end on the first green in about two hours.

props to the boomerang fans. It really is awesome, I just got TWO because right now it is buy one get one free and my putting has changed insanely within a week. Also, get yourself a new, nice putter that is fitted to you so you can putt with confidence.

check out the boomerang video on youtube, it is very hard but it helps your putting a lot

Yes it was i played great before i reached greens but i am off such a high handicap and i get so many extra shots it aswell. Also annoys me and it puts me off and i end up duffing a couple or Hooking em.

Played Again Today i reached most greens in Regulation and 3 putted about 8 holes in a row then i got a couple of 2 putts and continued my 3 putt streak. :friends:. Using Dads Putter now it is mallet it seems a little better. Can i pick up the Boomerang at Drummond Golf In Australia or House of Golf or Or do i need to order it from their website? and there are 2 websites which one should i buy from?

Cheers for Replies Guys

Charles

i had -5 yesterday in Par with 40-50 putts

Uh, that must have been one heck of a ball-striking round...!

For those who don't play comps, -5 in a par round means he shot 5 over his handicap of 27, or 32 over whatever the course par was.

The Boomerang aid is most likely not available from your local shop, and if it was would be no cheaper than buying it direct.

For me, it has helped a great deal in putts within 8-10 feet. Hence today's two birdies.

However, my long putting sucked once again. Hence today's six three putts.

IMHO, you need to get to a real green with a real putter and just practice.

When you three putt, it isn't usually because you miss a short putt, but rather because your first putt was crap.

Get a putting lesson and a chipping lesson.

I should.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

i had -5 yesterday in Par with 40-50 putts

Uh, that must have been one heck of a ball-striking round...!

For those who don't play comps, -5 in a par round means he shot 5 over his handicap of 27, or 32 over whatever the course par was.

The Boomerang aid is most likely not available from your local shop, and if it was would be no cheaper than buying it direct.

For me, it has helped a great deal in putts within 8-10 feet. Hence today's two birdies.

However, my long putting sucked once again. Hence today's six three putts.

IMHO, you need to get to a real green with a real putter and just practice.

When you three putt, it isn't usually because you miss a short putt, but rather because your first putt was crap.

Get a putting lesson and a chipping lesson.

I should.

Thanks for the reply :friends:

I am getting a lesson this week hopefully but the reason i am getting/looking at boomerang system is because the putting green i used to go to at Driving range was ripped up due to very bad condition because of water Restrictions in Australia and being unable to water it. So i cant get to a good putting green when i want to so i was looking for couple indoor drills and boomerang seems to be the best.

Couple 3 putts today i put an iron shot within 10 foot and i just went straight around the hole missing little stupid putts. So when i get on the green i pretty much become useless.

I agree with everyone who said get fitted. I did this year and last time out had 31 putts. Lowest putt count in 3+ years and beat my next best of 34. I too am a terrible putter and it doesn't seem like it changed much but switching to a 33", 1 degree flat and 1 degree more loft and I seem to get better distance control, and better direction control.

Go on a putting green and do What I call PUTT LIKE A KID......

Clear your mind and just stoke the ball ..... too much analysis causes paralysis...

So do what a kid does.... hit the ball on the line you like and free ya a** up !!

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

• 3 months later...

I used to be a really bad putter. What really helped me is finding a putter I'm comfortable with and sticking with it. I was constantly switching, 2-Ball, Yes, just anything that was the "latest & greatest". I probably used one model at the most for 2 months. What suffered when I was doing this was my touch. I had no idea on speed control, which is more important than anything in putting.

Finally I made the switch to a TP Mills Softail, and have used that for a long time now. It has a heavier head, 355 grams, and is an extremely sweet feeling putter. So what I'm saying is, find a model that you really like the look of, and one that feels right, and stick with it. Get it fitted for you too, lie and length. It will reward you over time. And also, you'll develop a great touch with it where you can just look at the hole and know how hard to hit it. That's hard to do when you're constantly switching putters.

Tiger's used the same putter for 8 years now. I think it's worked OK for him.

I was like you, the straw that broke the camel's back was a great round of ballstriking with 42 putts. I bought the utley book and the pelz book. unfortunately, utley didn't work for me, so I studied up on pelz. I ditched my scotty studio design 1 and got a yes tracy, fitted to me (34" 2 deg flat) and a putting mat. Now 6 footers are automatic, and pelz's ideas for distance control have really helped. Just 3 months later and last week I took 31 putts. That was an exceptional day, as the hole seemed 5 feet wide all day, but in general, I am putting alot better.

I used to consider myself a bad putter (34-40 putts a round), so I made some serious changes this season that helped me a lot.

1) Got a shorter putter. 35" was way too long, and even my 34" was too long. I had a cheap Daiwa sawed off to 31.5" and am lights out. My stance feels much more natural now.

2) Got a fat grip. Lambkin oversized that lets me put my thumbs almost side to side.

3) Drew a line around the entire circumference of the ball with Check Go Pro. I check the line of the putt from a few feet back, then stand over the ball, confident in the line (this may have helped the most).

4) Practiced a lot on a roll-out putting green!

Big thing was being confident in the line and taking wrists out of the equation. Weird looking forward to 10-footers now!

Two things that have helped my putting recently: Stan Utley's book and going to a heavier putter with a smaller grip. I used to use the Pelz method and it worked OK on slower bermuda greens that didn't have a lot of break. Since playing mostly on faster bent grass greens my putter started to go south on me. Switching to the Utley method made me feel a lot more natural and instinctive while putting. I used to use big fat grips and now I use a mid-sized Winn. I have a lot better sense of where the putter is, and I don't think mechanically about how hard to hit the stroke, I just hit it. I've played cross-handed before, and sometimes I'll switch to cross-handed without realizing it while putting. For $10 or whatever the book costs, it's worth reading even if you decide it's not for you. One thing I will say, I think the feel based approach is good for guys that play a lot, but people that only play a few times a year might do better staying with a more scientific method like Pelz. It's hard to maintain good feel without constant use.