2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

I admit defeat...I am getting old...

m d g

...in my search for JDM irons, I originally narrowed it down to four clubs. OnOff Kuro. Miura 5005. Titleist VG3. Epon 703.

I've hit the Titleist VG3 E and OnOffs into a net and both felt great. The Miuras look so damn good that they were the front runner, but these may be the last irons I ever buy so I think I need to use my brain and not my heart and go for forgiveness over anything else.

That leaves Titleist (VG 3 E because the forgiveness will last into my 80s) and the Epon 703s.

I've yet to hit the Epons as I can't find them anywhere so help there would be appreciated (I'm in Tokyo).

Question: if I find a place to hit the Titleists while getting fit, are they available with graphite shafts other than the standard option?

Not too concerned with price as these will probably be the last irons I ever buy. I'm 54 now and don't play enough to justify switching clubs like most people on this forum.

My goal was to get JDM irons as I love the passion that goes into making them, and as a designer, I appreciate the artistry and tradition of forged clubs. So many people have told me to 'just get Pings,' but that goes against my nature. Besides, I've done a lot of research and the VG 3s and 703s both earn the highest praise for game improvement clubs.

Thoughts? Shaft musings? Places in Tokyo to find a great fitter who carries Titleist and Epon?

All a very much appreciated. I've got some yen burning a hole in my pocket.

Thanks for your time and thoughts...

m

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that you are in Japan an finding it difficult to find the Epons to hit. So much for JDM.
I would have thought if you buy irons and get custom fit it would be straight forward getting graphite in the Titleists or any other heads for that matter.
You should have a good look at most cb's, even if they don't look as forgiving as you feel you need. These days modern designed heads that look hard to hit are not necessarily so. Don't just automatically go to big chunky heads; they may not be the best option for you.
I am nearly 60 and while I have no troubles using graphite shafts there are plenty of options in lightweight steel that are very smooth feeling and easy to load. Nippons, Shimada etc.
My experience has been that big soled chunky undercut heads do not suit me as much as more blade style cb's. You may be the same so see for yourself and don't just restrict yourself to options that the marketing says are maximum forgiveness.

I have the on off kuros, I've hit the 5005s and had the older vg3s and 502s. 5005 sexist of the bunch but most demanding. The kuros are the best all around for looks,feel and forgiveness.

Titleist TSR2 9 Fujikura Ventus Blue
Srixon ZX mkll 15 Ventus Red

Taylormade Sim2 Max 19 GD
Srixon ZX 5 MKII 4-AW Nippon
Vokey SM7 54/10

Vokey SM9 59/5

Scotty tri sole Newport 2 ct

Titleist ProV1

Oldplayer: Epon is almost invisible in Japan. It's marketed outside Japan, but has no real presence in Japan because clubbuilders are a dying breed in Japan. You can find Miura, but they're rare.

To the original poster - I guess the map didn't work for you I posted in the thread below.?

Every retail shop carries Titleist.

You need to find someone to help you read Japanese because Yahoo auction Japan has the best selection of clubs you'll ever find. Since it's Japan, you won't get ripped off and the clubs will be in better condtion than claimed.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

You'll need to find some golfers in Japan to point you where to go - the epon 703's would be a good choice for maximum forgiveness.

I can't help you where to go in Japan, sorry... Now Thailand, I can tell there's a couple of driving ranges in Bangkok that have Epon shops with demo clubs, and also where the main Epon dealer and club builder is (Golfcraft).

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

Why are you considering the 703 and not the 503? The 503 would be a much better fit for you...more forgiving than the onoff's and way more forgiving than the miuras...the vg3's are very good...

Get the 503 with roddio i9 stiff, you will enjoy, I promise!

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

I'll say get epon, you can find 703 as component and get the head only. As you said - for the last club you would ever buy then you are deserve the best fitter in your area, bring the head and fit there because true fitting is a proggress, you might need to tweak abit here and there later on. Have fun!

Driver -
Ryoma- crazy royal deco
Fw -
#3 Cally Legacy'10 - Diamana R.
#5 Rbz stg1 tour TP std Rul.
#7 Cleaveland Launcher 1st gen std Fuji gold.
Irons -
#4-Hy JBeam - Attas.
#5-Pw Miura BB - MR MTI.
Wedges -
52 & 58 Fourteen Rm 12 std Dg.
Putter -
Lajosi dd copper.

First off…thanks for the great suggestions.

I will try to consolidate replies here:

-- To Bravo36 & potuna

The OnOff Kuros felt great in a net at Victoria Golf. The numbers I was seeing were likely way off but probably accurate relative to other clubs. The biggest problem there is that nobody in the store spoke enough English to discuss details (shaft options, grip, length, etc.).

-- To Solman1

Yes…I got the map (the Miura English site doesn't work in my browser but I am clicking on lots of map links to see where stores are in Tokyo). There are a couple nearby and I will be hiking out to them. If I fall in love with a club I can contact a Japanese-speaking friend for help on a fitting.

Titleist is in every retail shop and I am considering because they fit the bill…forgiving, long, forged (sort of) and JDM (sort of). The Miura 5005s are some of the coolest looking clubs I've ever seen. The problem is I tend to fall in love with the 'cool factor' and forget about playability. I'm not getting any younger, and though I hope to return to my single-digit days with some practice, I'm all for making golf easier.

I will look around on the Yahoo site.

-- To Oldplayer

I agree…but graphite is great for shock absorption as well as being light. I am battling a very bad shoulder issue that doesn't keep me from playing, but is painful nonetheless. I thought maybe graphite would help with impact vibration…maybe not? I would love to try the Steelfibers everyone raves about if I can find them. Or even some light steel if I can see that they don't balloon too much.

The Kuros don't look like game improvement but felt very nice. I just wasn't outdoors and couldn't see the ball flight and carry.

-- To flopshot99

Regular VG3 or VG3 Type E? To be honest, the Type Es look a bit chunky for my taste. How much less forgiving are the regular versions?

-- To freehb

503s get rave reviews on many forums, and I still haven't figured out how they are different from the 703s. I just figured if they are so similar, might as well go with newer model. But newer is not always better. I will know for sure if i can hit them side-by-side.

-- To golfnutjp (from another thread)

Thanks for the fairwaygolfusa suggestion. From their site it seems like they only have stores in California listed and none in Tokyo. I will keep searching to see if they have a Tokyo brick and mortar location. They certainly seem to carry a very wide selection.

---------

I hope to have this all resolved before the end of January. Looking is half the fun, but it will be nice to get something in the bag and start playing/practicing which is what I really need. But new sticks are fun, and this is an equipment forum after all...

Here's a link to 503 http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/m128449376

703 http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/e156098493

From your previous posts I would really recommend the 503s over the 703...the 503 is already more forgiving than the other irons you're considering and the the 703 is more of a super game improvement head. Yes, it's long but that's primarily due to jacked up lofts...the 503 looks very good over the ball, is long and forgiving...if this will be your final set, you really don't want to look down on those big heads the rest of your golfing days...

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

Here are Miura clubs for sale on Yahoo auction: [url="http://category.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/list/%E4%B8%89%E6%B5%A6%E6%8A%80%E7%A0%94-%E3%82%A2%E3%82%A4%E3%82%A2%E3%83%B3-%E7%94%B7%E6%80%A7%E5%8F%B3%E3%81%8D%E3%81%8D%E7%94%A8-%E3%82%AF%E3%83%A9%E3%83%96-%E3%82%B4%E3%83%AB%E3%83%95-%E3%82%B9%E3%83%9D%E3%83%BC%E3%83%84%E5%88%A5-%E3%82%B9%E3%83%9D%E3%83%BC%E3%83%84-%E3%83%AC%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A3%E3%83%BC/2084304013/?fr=auc-prop&tab_ex=commerce&p=%E4%B8%89%E6%B5%A6%E6%8A%80%E7%A0%94"]http://category.auct...&p=三浦技ç "[/url]

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key