2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Help me complete my JDM bag

My 3rd bag consists of mostly JDM older equipment (at least I think they are JDM… not sure now after reading the "Mizuno is not JDM" thread).

Precept 2EZ 18* hybrid, with GD YS-7 shaft

PRGR #3 (19*) DI/hybrid, with TT Dynalite Gold shaft

Fourteen #4 (23*) DI/hybrid, with NS Pro 950GH shaft

KZG Forged II-M 5-PW, with NS Pro 950GH shafts

So looking for JDM driver, 3W, SW, LW and putter. And since this is my 3rd bag that I use only for leisurely rounds, I don't want to spend that much (maybe $50-$75 per club on average). I'm ok with older, used clubs. Are TourStage or Nakamura drivers good?

Does my bag need to be JDM too? I currently use a Nike stand bag. What about grips and shafts?

Also, I'm Asian but not Japanese, and living in the S.F. Bay Area with a large Japanese population. I don't want to be "that guy" that pretends he's Japanese. I know a little Japanese, but afraid of fluent Japanese coming up to me and trying to start a conversation.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found that Asians can usually recognize the difference between each race so I wouldn't worry about other people trying to speak to you in their language just because of your gear. Japanese or not, most of them probably won't recognize JDM equipment anyways.

Tourstage are excellent clubs. I'd definitely go for a JDM bag but that's just me. If this isn't your A-game bag, I wouldn't worry about shafts/grips.

Going to be hard pressed to find a newer driver for that money. You may find something from the early 2000s or late '90s. That being the case, Tourstage and Yamaha might be worth looking for. I would extend your budget and look for something around $100 to $125 range on the driver and find something you will enjoy hitting and not something just for the sake of it being JDM.

3 wood is easy. PRGR Egg all the way. As for wedges, you can pick up some cheap Fourteen wedges now a days. For a putter, you can get Mizuno TP Mills for next to nothing as well as the Tourstage Tadd Moore putters.

However, hate to burst your bubble, but KZG isn't JDM. Nevertheless, as your 3rd set, I wouldn't give a hoot. Just enjoy the game and don't take it too seriously. If your goal is a set for leisure, then go for what is fun to hit and not worry about where it is made.

Finally, don't worry about being "that guy," just enjoy your leisure set. I highly doubt anybody will know your clubs and will mistake you for a Japanese person just because of the clubs you have, so relax...it's Suntory time!

14 Beaten and Battered clubs,

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and

one unwavering spirit that loves the game

Wow, that's kind of embarrassing. All this time, I thought KZG forged heads were from a Japanese boutique forging house -- is this true?. This kind of blows my JDM plan to pieces. Maybe I should refer to it as my "non-mainstream OEM" bag rather than JDM.

Since my original post, I have purchased:

Tourstage X-Drive 701 9.5* driver (used for $95)
Yururi Gekku 53* PS (pitching/sand) wedge (used for $100)
Vega 60* chrome LW (used for $60)

Looking at either a Royal Collection or XXIO 3-wood.

I realized that $50-$75 per club isn't going to get me much for JDM... $75-$100 is more reasonable.

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

Vokey Forged 52 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

KZG heads may, or may not be forged in Japan (lots of talk about this topic on this board), however it is not a JDM, or Japanese Domestic Market brand, since it's not readily available for sale in Japan. Nevertheless, good sticks I hear.

Nice pick up on the driver. Tourstage drivers are Endo forged, so they feel great. I have a 701R, limited edition, driver and it is a beast. Now you just need an Egg 3 wood and a putter.

Don't worry about what to call the set, just get out and enjoy yourself. After all, that's the whole point of the game, right?

14 Beaten and Battered clubs,

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and

one unwavering spirit that loves the game

You should splurge, there is a guy selling a JDM SLDR in the BST.

Also as a Korean American, most other Asian Americans will be able to tell each other apart. It is always the non-asians that ask me are you this, this, or this. And it is typically followed up be the one word they know in your language.

Titleist TSR 4 - Autoflex SF 505XX

Burner Mini - Autoflex SF505XX

Cally Apex UW - Ventus TR RED 7x

Ping G430 3H - Ventus HY Blue 8x 

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW Axiom 105x

Hi-Toe 3 52/MG3 TW 60 - S400TI 

Odyssey Ai Milled Eleven DB w/Stability Tour 

• 2 months later...

I can't believe it was just March 4th when I started my venture into JDM. It's only been a little over 2 months and now I own close to 70 "legitimate" JDM clubs. I sold those KZG irons.

Here's what I'm bringing to my club tourney this Sunday:

[color=#181818][size=3][background=rgb(253, 252, 250)]Driver: jBEAM FX BM-435 9.5* w/ Basileus Fiamma 60 shaft, 45"[/background][/size][/color]
[color=#181818][size=3][background=rgb(253, 252, 250)]3W: S-Yard XT 15* w/ stock "made for" GD Tour AD[/background][/size][/color]
[color=#181818][size=3][background=rgb(253, 252, 250)]5W: S-Yard XV 18* w/ NS Regio Formula 65[/background][/size][/color]
[color=#181818][size=3][background=rgb(253, 252, 250)]Utility: PRGR Egg i+ 4UT 21* w/ stock shaft[/background][/size][/color]
[color=#181818][size=3][background=rgb(253, 252, 250)]5-PW: PRGR iD Nabla Black Forged w/ Tour AD 75's[/background][/size][/color]
[color=#181818][size=3][background=rgb(253, 252, 250)]GW: Miura Giken WMF-03 53* w/ TT D/G[/background][/size][/color]
[color=#181818][size=3][background=rgb(253, 252, 250)]SW: Dance With Dragon 56* w/ stock steel[/background][/size][/color]
[color=#181818][size=3][background=rgb(253, 252, 250)]LW: RomaRo Alcobaca Scoop 60* w/ stock steel[/background][/size][/color]
[color=#181818][size=3][background=rgb(253, 252, 250)]Putter: Hiro Matsumoto MZ-10, 33"[/background][/size][/color]

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

Vokey Forged 52 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

You are pulling off the JDM bag looks like straight knockoff no name walmart club bag better than anyone I have ever seen! I think the 3 different brand wedges(complete with DWD graphics, giken with the funny sole, and scoop logo on romaro also with funny sole), Hiro putter, prgr irons and gold s yard.......that is seriously the most under the radar a bag could possibly fly in the United States. I would put those sticks in the oldest and most beat up bag you have for icing on the cake. Everyone you play with has to think you geared up at Salvation Army!

I have the same romaro in a 58. I bent it to 59.5, I just recently got it but so far other than getting used to a lob wedge again, I really am impressed with it. Great sticks man, Good luck at the tourney!

great job putting together a formidable bag, I think you'll be very happy with whatever you get out of those, esp knowing you paid a small fraction of the price for any of those new!

as for not speaking Japanese, I'm one of the "other" Asians and have no qualms about being a die hard JDM head without having th bloodline or speaking the language. I just appreciate the culture, history and affinity for being master craftsmens in this sport we all love!

[quote name='needmoregolf' timestamp='1431582700' post='11556788']
great job putting together a formidable bag, I think you'll be very happy with whatever you get out of those, esp knowing you paid a small fraction of the price for any of those new!

as for not speaking Japanese, I'm one of the "other" Asians and have no qualms about being a die hard JDM head without having th bloodline or speaking the language. I just appreciate the culture, history and affinity for being master craftsmens in this sport we all love!
[/quote]
Well said !

Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
Yamada Shogun

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1431625560' post='11559176']
Really. Also I forgot to throw props for the budget assembling as well. Nice job! I am on the same program. It is rewarding to score jdm on a budget, especially because it is just so expensive and. Even much more scarce so you have to work a few different avenues...
[/quote] Picked up an R4 obo for half the going price and been smiling ever since.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

[quote name='chiromikey' timestamp='1425869284' post='11105615']
Lol, I can't disagree...since I've got more honkey in me than Asian.
[/quote]

I do as well, I have a hard time with Malaysians....not much time there...Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Philippino, Thai no prob...jdm and usdm/faked to be jdm no problems....golf clubs are easier than people....

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

[quote name='95124hacker' timestamp='1431550376' post='11554068']
I can't believe it was just March 4th when I started my venture into JDM. It's only been a little over 2 months and now I own close to 70 "legitimate" JDM clubs. I sold those KZG irons.

Here's what I'm bringing to my club tourney this Sunday:

[color=#181818][size=3][background=rgb(253, 252, 250)]Driver: jBEAM FX BM-435 9.5* w/ Basileus Fiamma 60 shaft, 45"[/background][/size][/color]
[color=#181818][size=3][background=rgb(253, 252, 250)]3W: S-Yard XT 15* w/ stock "made for" GD Tour AD[/background][/size][/color]
[color=#181818][size=3][background=rgb(253, 252, 250)]5W: S-Yard XV 18* w/ NS Regio Formula 65[/background][/size][/color]
[color=#181818][size=3][background=rgb(253, 252, 250)]Utility: PRGR Egg i+ 4UT 21* w/ stock shaft[/background][/size][/color]
[color=#181818][size=3][background=rgb(253, 252, 250)]5-PW: PRGR iD Nabla Black Forged w/ Tour AD 75's[/background][/size][/color]
[color=#181818][size=3][background=rgb(253, 252, 250)]GW: Miura Giken WMF-03 53* w/ TT D/G[/background][/size][/color]
[color=#181818][size=3][background=rgb(253, 252, 250)]SW: Dance With Dragon 56* w/ stock steel[/background][/size][/color]
[color=#181818][size=3][background=rgb(253, 252, 250)]LW: RomaRo Alcobaca Scoop 60* w/ stock steel[/background][/size][/color]
[color=#181818][size=3][background=rgb(253, 252, 250)]Putter: Hiro Matsumoto MZ-10, 33"[/background][/size][/color]
[/quote]

Somebody caught the fever...well done, very solid playable jdm bag!

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S