Has anyone hit the Basileus AAA shaft? $1000 - crazy exotic

Harob11

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Harob11' timestamp='1425970272' post='11113185']
$50,000,000 for a painting. $10,000 for a bottle of wine. It's all stuff rich a**holes buy.
[/quote]

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

The Basileus AAA is a full 80 ton shaft with Toray 1100 carbon fiber material. The Toray has extreme pulling strength which gives it a strong kick. The AAA has a stiffer tip and gives a lower launch and lower spin. The 80 ton keeps the shaft very stable and the torque super low.

The prices for Basileus are higher but considering the maker Akatsuka-San considers them not only a tool for golf but a work of art, then you might be able to understand the pricing a bit more. Akatsuka-San uses the highest quality materials in shafts. The crystallized sterling silver he uses to plate the shafts are two and a half times more expensive than typical ion plating. The 80 ton material in the AAA takes a lot more skill and effort to stretch it correctly. Considering many shafts use only 30T and when they do use 80T for their higher end stuff, they mix it with 40T. Basileus also uses pan based carbon fiber instead of pitch based. The difference is pan is a better material than pitch. Right there is your cost difference based on material used and not just a company charging higher prices for their stuff. Sure it's not for everyone but if you've played a Basileus and you like the feel of them, then the price is not too distasteful. As it is, some think of him as the Katsuhiro Miura of shafts in Japan.

Here's a picture of him explaining the material he uses. You can also see the AAA carbon fiber material to the right on the table. By the way....the AAA stands for Akatsuka Advanced Architecture. He's that serious about his work. ;)

[attachment=2655825:Screen Shot 2015-03-09 at 9.12.48 PM.png]

Thanks so much for this post, pitbull. Some people understand quality, some don't.

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='RLL33' timestamp='1425995866' post='11114207']
Thanks so much for this post, pitbull. Some people understand quality, some don't.
[/quote]

+1 excellent post. i would have tried the AAA but i just placed an order for the Seven Dreamers.
$1,000 is certainly alot of money but given the technology and quality i think it is worth it.

Btw, are there any american marketed shafts that are 80t?

Callaway AI Smoke TD 8* - Ventus Black TR 5x

3W -Ping G430 LST - Ventus Black TR 7x

5W - TM Qi10 Tour - Ventus Black TR 7x

2i - Srixon ZX MK II Axiom 105X

4-6 T200 Axiom 105s

7-AW T150 Axion 105s

54S SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

60T SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

Bettinardi QB14 LA Golf

[quote name='mr.haha' timestamp='1425997033' post='11114321']
+1 excellent post. i would have tried the AAA but i just placed an order for the Seven Dreamers.
$1,000 is certainly alot of money but given the technology and quality i think it is worth it.

Btw, are there any american marketed shafts that are 80t?[/quote]

The new Mitsubishi B, W and R use a mixed 80t. That's about it. The shop I go to also does Seven Dreamers which feels pretty amazing as well.

People blow me away with their preconceived notions - "rich - a******". Give me a break. If someone wants to spend $1000 on a shaft for whatever reason he chooses so be it. I'm not saying I'm going to do it but if I did it's my money and my choice. Is it going to make me a hell of a lot better than I was before. Absolutely not. Will it possibly help me hit the ball straighter... to some degree, possibly. Bottom line is people can do whatever the hell they want with their own money. As I said earlier, there are multi millionaires and billionaires who spend tens of millions on art that sits on a wall. Is that insane? To most people probably but it doesn't make him a "rich a******". It's all relative. Relax and worry about yourself. Now back to my original question... has anyone had a chance to try it? If you can't comment on the question no one wants to hear your chirping.

[quote name='flopshot99' timestamp='1426026723' post='11117473']
Save the 1000 on a shaft, take aimpoint express putting workshop and golf lessons for 500..profit.
[/quote]

Haha thats funny....golf for a profit.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 8* - Ventus Black TR 5x

3W -Ping G430 LST - Ventus Black TR 7x

5W - TM Qi10 Tour - Ventus Black TR 7x

2i - Srixon ZX MK II Axiom 105X

4-6 T200 Axiom 105s

7-AW T150 Axion 105s

54S SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

60T SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

Bettinardi QB14 LA Golf

To each their own, I guess. At the end of the day, I highly doubt that "better" materials and processing hype will keep make this launch any better than a 35 dollar ProLite.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1426043473' post='11119231']
To each their own, I guess. At the end of the day, I highly doubt that "better" materials and processing hype will keep make this launch any better than a 35 dollar ProLite.
[/quote]

Neither will the new Taylormade driver that comes out every 3 months but many people have spent more on keeping current on the latest driver in a single year than this shaft costs. I know nothing about this shaft but there are other factors nearly as important to me as performance and I do think in certain cases the cost can be justified. Like you said, to each their own...

More to the point is why do people get up in arms about a $1000 shaft? Don't buy it and move along. No one cares. Save your breath.
Why do people buy Ferraris? Why do people buy expensive cigars, wines, shoes, etc? Of course there isn't a $300 difference between Levis and some boutique brand of jeans but someone who is into jeans/fashion feels justified in spending that $350 and you know what... WHO CARES!

[quote name='Harob11' timestamp='1426048545' post='11119615']
More to the point is why do people get up in arms about a $1000 shaft? Don't buy it and move along. No one cares. Save your breath.
Why do people buy Ferraris? Why do people buy expensive cigars, wines, shoes, etc? Of course there isn't a $300 difference between Levis and some boutique brand of jeans but someone who is into jeans/fashion feels justified in spending that $350 and you know what... WHO CARES!
[/quote]

Don't sweat the comments that have nothing to do with your question. I remember when an unknown shaft brand Ozik came out with the TP-7 around ten years ago where every one on the forums were shocked at it's $1000 sticker. Forum members were up in arms on asking who would spend that much and why when an Aldila could do the same. Those same people were arguing GSS Camerons versus stainless steel putters from everyone else. Ten years later and the same argument is around the forums and unfortunately Richard has to come out with threads like this... [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1131623-negativity-alert-troll-nets-are-deployed-please-dont-be-a-troll/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ont-be-a-troll/[/url]

It's your bag. It's what you are playing. It may not make you better, may not make your ball straighter but mentally, at least you've taken out the the variable of not playing what you feel is the best that you can afford for your game. This game we play where the mental part plays such a huge part in it...that's a great variable to remove.

So play whatever you want to play...ask about whatever you want to know about and maybe..just maybe...you'll get a great answer and everyone will play nicely in your thread. :drinks:

[quote name='pitbull808' timestamp='1426054099' post='11119923']
[/quote]

Don't sweat the comments that have nothing to do with your question. I remember when an unknown shaft brand Ozik came out with the TP-7 around ten years ago where every one on the forums were shocked at it's $1000 sticker. Forum members were up in arms on asking who would spend that much and why when an Aldila could do the same. Those same people were arguing GSS Camerons versus stainless steel putters from everyone else. Ten years later and the same argument is around the forums and unfortunately Richard has to come out with threads like this... [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1131623-negativity-alert-troll-nets-are-deployed-please-dont-be-a-troll/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ont-be-a-troll/[/url]

It's your bag. It's what you are playing. It may not make you better, may not make your ball straighter but mentally, at least you've taken out the the variable of not playing what you feel is the best that you can afford for your game. This game we play where the mental part plays such a huge part in it...that's a great variable to remove.

So play whatever you want to play...ask about whatever you want to know about and maybe..just maybe...you'll get a great answer and everyone will play nicely in your thread. :drinks:
[/quote]
+1 !
Play what you want to play the way you want to play it . So long as you're enjoying your golf and not bothering anyone else in the process then it's all good .
Happy golfing and if this shaft works for you then rock it .

Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
Yamada Shogun

[quote name='pitbull808' timestamp='1426054099' post='11119923']
More to the point is why do people get [size=5][b]up in arms[/b][/size] about a $1000 shaft? Don't buy it and move along. No one cares. Save your breath.
[/quote]

Don't sweat the comments that have nothing to do with your question. I remember when an unknown shaft brand Ozik came out with the TP-7 around ten years ago where every one on the forums were shocked at it's $1000 sticker. Forum members were [size=5][b]up in arms[/b][/size] on asking who would spend that much and why when an Aldila could do the same. Those same people were arguing GSS Camerons versus stainless steel putters from everyone else. Ten years later and the same argument is around the forums and unfortunately Richard has to come out with threads like this... [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1131623-negativity-alert-troll-nets-are-deployed-please-dont-be-a-troll/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ont-be-a-troll/[/url]

[/quote]

That seems an odd characterization.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='flopshot99' timestamp='1426013062' post='11116085']
If u don't care about money then I get it. I highly doubt the shaft is 5x better then a 200 shaft..
[/quote]exactly.....you would have to be an amazing ballstrikers to tell difference....

But I totally understand wanting really expensive stuff.....performance wise though not so much...

Mentally it wouldn't help me a bit...I know std golf equipment is capable of far more than I could ever do....I try to make my best possible swing on every shot and on certain days I stripe the crap out of my stuff.....not like if I had more expensive gear it would make me better golfer on my bad days....I know guys with my gear and they shoot ridiculous scores on reg basis...so it's not a matter of if my equipment is good enough.....it's a matter of how well I am able to play with my current skill level....

I would like to hit one though....but I would never buy it...

Yeah, it's a crazy ammount for a shaft, but it's far from the most expensive shaft on the market in Japan. That title would go to the Seven Dreamers Space shaft which sells for about $12,500 per shaft.

http://golf.sevendreamers.com/en/products/

Likewise, I could never buy one myself, but I would love to hit one.

14 Beaten and Battered clubs,

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and

one unwavering spirit that loves the game

[quote name='flopshot99' timestamp='1425968387' post='11113163']
1000 for a shaft...um....why?
[/quote]

Because I can and I want to....

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - Ryoma D1 V-Spec TRPX Fabulous Ni-Ti - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - Callaway Paradym 20* Arch-Kams UTH
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon