2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

[quote name='thechief16' timestamp='1429456493' post='11391589']
Dew sweeper round this morning -- 7:00 am tee time at Bull Run, home right at 11. Typical early season round that there was a lot of good and a lot of bad. 85 with 3 birdies, 4 doubles. Driver and putter came and went. Course was in great shape, weather was phenomenal.
[/quote]

bull run is my favorite local course. The setting is awesome and its a fun course, I am dying to play a scramble there.

Also, I do have a walking cart that my older neighbor gave me before he moved and if anybody local is looking for one I would rather somebody use it than sit in my parents basement. Its in rather good shape and hasn't been used much at all. I don't think I want to sell it, at most maybe just trade it for a backup club or something…if not just pass it on to somebody who would give it use. Just pm me if anybody is interested.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1429467645' post='11392379'][quote name='thechief16' timestamp='1429456493' post='11391589']
Dew sweeper round this morning -- 7:00 am tee time at Bull Run, home right at 11. Typical early season round that there was a lot of good and a lot of bad. 85 with 3 birdies, 4 doubles. Driver and putter came and went. Course was in great shape, weather was phenomenal.
[/quote]

bull run is my favorite local course. The setting is awesome and its a fun course, I am dying to play a scramble there.

[/quote]

+1. I really enjoy playing Bull Run. It is a haul but one I enjoy taking to play the course.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1429467645' post='11392379'][quote name='thechief16' timestamp='1429456493' post='11391589']
[/quote]

[/quote]

+1. I really enjoy playing Bull Run. It is a haul but one I enjoy taking to play the course.

protos F4

[quote name='TurtleJeJus' timestamp='1429476857' post='11393151']
Go to start the riding mower and the battery is dead. Have it on the charger now, but I don't think I'll get to it before it gets dark. Note to self, disconnect the battery once the grass starts growing....
[/quote]

I just finished mowing mine for the first time since I bought my place. Quite an experience since I'm at the very top of a hill. Have to mow downhill then turn and come back up my driveway or I'm stuck at the bottom...need some chains or something

Adams Speedline 9064LS 10.5*
Adams Speedline Fast 12 3 Wood 15*
Adams IdeaTECH 3 Hybrid 19*
Nike Covert 2.0 Forged 4-AW Nippon 950GH
Shitty Wedge
TaylorMade TPA VII

[quote name='TurtleJeJus' timestamp='1429476857' post='11393151']
Go to start the riding mower and the battery is dead. Have it on the charger now, but I don't think I'll get to it before it gets dark. Note to self, disconnect the battery once the grass starts growing....
[/quote]

I just finished mowing mine for the first time since I bought my place. Quite an experience since I'm at the very top of a hill. Have to mow downhill then turn and come back up my driveway or I'm stuck at the bottom...need some chains or something

Adams Speedline 9064LS 10.5*
Adams Speedline Fast 12 3 Wood 15*
Adams IdeaTECH 3 Hybrid 19*
Nike Covert 2.0 Forged 4-AW Nippon 950GH
Shitty Wedge
TaylorMade TPA VII

[quote name='AFSFK' timestamp='1429477683' post='11393199'][quote name='TurtleJeJus' timestamp='1429476857' post='11393151']
[/quote]

I just finished mowing mine for the first time since I bought my place. Quite an experience since I'm at the very top of a hill. Have to mow downhill then turn and come back up my driveway or I'm stuck at the bottom...need some chains or something[/quote]

Get some rope and football cleats.

Tie the rope or chain around the engage lever and the handle and let gravity take place with some manipulation by the rope. Then pull it up...repeat.

Football cleats are for leverage.

protos F4

[quote name='AFSFK' timestamp='1429477683' post='11393199'][quote name='TurtleJeJus' timestamp='1429476857' post='11393151']
[/quote]

I just finished mowing mine for the first time since I bought my place. Quite an experience since I'm at the very top of a hill. Have to mow downhill then turn and come back up my driveway or I'm stuck at the bottom...need some chains or something[/quote]

Tie the rope or chain around the engage lever and the handle and let gravity take place with some manipulation by the rope. Then pull it up...repeat.

Football cleats are for leverage.

protos F4

[quote name='AFSFK' timestamp='1429445348' post='11390829']
Is that John Nesbitt around 60 years old?
[/quote]

Or a late 30s, early 40s shortish black guy? Played with him a few times back in 2013 on the tour I play on and he was maybe the biggest cheater I've ever played with. He was reported for probably 6-8 different incidents of cheating over a season or two, including an real inability to count strokes (caught several times) as well as his favorite move - the "finding" of a ball deep in the woods, where everyone would stop looking and leave and then by magic he would "find" a ball in a perfect lie right where we had all looked. Happened so many times the tour president finally had to relent and play with him at an event, and like a donk, he did it more than once during that round. Not only was he kicked off our tour but our president got hooked up with the guy who ran another tour he played on - Golfweek tour or something like that - and he was bounced from that tour too.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

[/quote]

Or a late 30s, early 40s shortish black guy? Played with him a few times back in 2013 on the tour I play on and he was maybe the biggest cheater I've ever played with. He was reported for probably 6-8 different incidents of cheating over a season or two, including an real inability to count strokes (caught several times) as well as his favorite move - the "finding" of a ball deep in the woods, where everyone would stop looking and leave and then by magic he would "find" a ball in a perfect lie right where we had all looked. Happened so many times the tour president finally had to relent and play with him at an event, and like a donk, he did it more than once during that round. Not only was he kicked off our tour but our president got hooked up with the guy who ran another tour he played on - Golfweek tour or something like that - and he was bounced from that tour too.

[quote name='misplacedtexan83' timestamp='1429478392' post='11393249'][quote name='AFSFK' timestamp='1429477683' post='11393199'][quote name='TurtleJeJus' timestamp='1429476857' post='11393151']
[/quote]

Football cleats are for leverage.[/quote][quote name='TurtleJeJus' timestamp='1429478839' post='11393293']Make sure your drinking Natty lite with a NASCAR coozie while doing it![/quote]

Ewwww....when I lived out past La Plata that was the only way I could cut a portion of our yard.
[quote name='gwchem' timestamp='1429481187' post='11393539']My wife cut the back yard while we played this morning...[/quote]

High five...my wife cuts the grass too!

protos F4

[quote name='misplacedtexan83' timestamp='1429478392' post='11393249'][quote name='AFSFK' timestamp='1429477683' post='11393199'][quote name='TurtleJeJus' timestamp='1429476857' post='11393151']
[/quote]

Football cleats are for leverage.[/quote][quote name='TurtleJeJus' timestamp='1429478839' post='11393293']Make sure your drinking Natty lite with a NASCAR coozie while doing it![/quote]

Ewwww....when I lived out past La Plata that was the only way I could cut a portion of our yard.
[quote name='gwchem' timestamp='1429481187' post='11393539']My wife cut the back yard while we played this morning...[/quote]

High five...my wife cuts the grass too!

protos F4

Played a rather unremarkable 18 today, one bad hole on the back derailed the day but I managed to finish with 3 pars, so maybe I'm looking my mental meltdowns in the rearview. Hit one bad drive that resulted in the bad hole but otherwise, nothing too good/bad. Played with an awesome Sunday morning group though so that part of the day was a success.

Aimpoint Express class this afternoon was absolutely fantastic though, definitely worth the 90 minutes. I can see how just getting used to feeling the break with different parts of your feet - just that part - could really help on the 6-20 foot putts. Considering the longer putts tend to be where I'm the worst, it was worth the time. The instructor was really great too (Erika Larkin) and I know she does these clinics all over the area as well as lessons out at VA Oaks. If you're interested at all and she has a class nearby, I would highly recommend it. I would even think about going out there for lessons.

And of course Fabb is playing the long con, I've been saying that for months!!

Played a rather unremarkable 18 today, one bad hole on the back derailed the day but I managed to finish with 3 pars, so maybe I'm looking my mental meltdowns in the rearview. Hit one bad drive that resulted in the bad hole but otherwise, nothing too good/bad. Played with an awesome Sunday morning group though so that part of the day was a success.

Aimpoint Express class this afternoon was absolutely fantastic though, definitely worth the 90 minutes. I can see how just getting used to feeling the break with different parts of your feet - just that part - could really help on the 6-20 foot putts. Considering the longer putts tend to be where I'm the worst, it was worth the time. The instructor was really great too (Erika Larkin) and I know she does these clinics all over the area as well as lessons out at VA Oaks. If you're interested at all and she has a class nearby, I would highly recommend it. I would even think about going out there for lessons.

And of course Fabb is playing the long con, I've been saying that for months!!

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1429485021' post='11393919']Played a rather unremarkable 18 today, one bad hole on the back derailed the day but I managed to finish with 3 pars, so maybe I'm looking my mental meltdowns in the rearview. Hit one bad drive that resulted in the bad hole but otherwise, nothing too good/bad. Played with an awesome Sunday morning group though so that part of the day was a success.

And of course Fabb is playing the long con, I've been saying that for months!![/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. I really want to do one of the aim point class because I suck at reading greens. I'll have to look into it.

protos F4

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1429485021' post='11393919']Played a rather unremarkable 18 today, one bad hole on the back derailed the day but I managed to finish with 3 pars, so maybe I'm looking my mental meltdowns in the rearview. Hit one bad drive that resulted in the bad hole but otherwise, nothing too good/bad. Played with an awesome Sunday morning group though so that part of the day was a success.

And of course Fabb is playing the long con, I've been saying that for months!![/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. I really want to do one of the aim point class because I suck at reading greens. I'll have to look into it.

protos F4

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1429484157' post='11393825']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Based on the description, thats him. Stix played with him so only he can say on the cheating part.

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1429484157' post='11393825']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Based on the description, thats him. Stix played with him so only he can say on the cheating part.

BTW I'm not implying he cheated today - nor that they are definitely the same guy - merely sharing my experiences as a member of the other tour (and Rules Committee member) over a couple of seasons.

BTW I'm not implying he cheated today - nor that they are definitely the same guy - merely sharing my experiences as a member of the other tour (and Rules Committee member) over a couple of seasons.

Bit another bullet. Got my clubs re-gripped at Golf Etc. today. Decided on the NDMC Plus-4 Grips. Got the whole bag redone except putter.

Three things happened while I was there:

First, before I got my clubs re-gripped, a couple came in and was looking at getting his clubs also re-gripped. After seeing the price (3.50/club plus the price of your grip which have varied prices) he and his wife left, why I have no idea as it is pretty cheap IMO.

Then as the owner was answering a phone call (from family, I believe), I saw that the place now will only sell Titleist, PING, Mizuno (through order) and Wilson-Staff. They decided to do that since Taylor-Way and Callamade just over saturate the market and he can't make a profit. Plus he doesn't like NIKE at all, even if he acknowledges it has come leaps and bounds from their first clubs. I saw the FG-v4 irons and after taking a comparison look at the irons with mine, asked if he had a FG V4 iron to demo. I did a slight waggle with the D-200 driver and that was too light so I didn't even bother.

Anyway, I did a brief head-to-head swing comparison between that 7 iron with the DG Pro S300 vs my Titleist AP2 714 7 iron at the hitting bay. The V4 felt nice and solid, but the AP2 just flat out felt better overall and ultimately would stay in the bag. It was good to do a test of a club that caught my eye. Unfortunately, there were no Mizuno clubs (MP-15 or 54, lol) to do another head-to-head with, but I had a good feel for the V4 with 6 swings and the AP2 was just a touch better. Just can't make that change unless there was something that REALLY stood out.

Finally, while my clubs were being re-taped another customer came in about getting a new shaft into his Old Cleveland Hi-Bore driver since the original shaft broke at the hosel. The owner told him the price and then showed him three trade-in drivers, a Callaway RazrX, a Callaway FT-3, and a Titleist 907 D2, that the guy could purchase any one of them and it would be less than half of what getting that Hi-Bore re-shafted. The three of us talked about the Hi-Bore and the drivers he put out there while the owner was putting on new tape on my clubs. The person then went out to the car, talked to 'the boss', came back in and walked out after buying a slightly used (I would put it in the 'Very Good' to 'Mint' category with the slightest of discoloration on the crown) Razr-X.

Now to wait for the next good golf day and see how the sticks feel getting new grips.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

Bit another bullet. Got my clubs re-gripped at Golf Etc. today. Decided on the NDMC Plus-4 Grips. Got the whole bag redone except putter.

Three things happened while I was there:

First, before I got my clubs re-gripped, a couple came in and was looking at getting his clubs also re-gripped. After seeing the price (3.50/club plus the price of your grip which have varied prices) he and his wife left, why I have no idea as it is pretty cheap IMO.

Then as the owner was answering a phone call (from family, I believe), I saw that the place now will only sell Titleist, PING, Mizuno (through order) and Wilson-Staff. They decided to do that since Taylor-Way and Callamade just over saturate the market and he can't make a profit. Plus he doesn't like NIKE at all, even if he acknowledges it has come leaps and bounds from their first clubs. I saw the FG-v4 irons and after taking a comparison look at the irons with mine, asked if he had a FG V4 iron to demo. I did a slight waggle with the D-200 driver and that was too light so I didn't even bother.

Anyway, I did a brief head-to-head swing comparison between that 7 iron with the DG Pro S300 vs my Titleist AP2 714 7 iron at the hitting bay. The V4 felt nice and solid, but the AP2 just flat out felt better overall and ultimately would stay in the bag. It was good to do a test of a club that caught my eye. Unfortunately, there were no Mizuno clubs (MP-15 or 54, lol) to do another head-to-head with, but I had a good feel for the V4 with 6 swings and the AP2 was just a touch better. Just can't make that change unless there was something that REALLY stood out.

Finally, while my clubs were being re-taped another customer came in about getting a new shaft into his Old Cleveland Hi-Bore driver since the original shaft broke at the hosel. The owner told him the price and then showed him three trade-in drivers, a Callaway RazrX, a Callaway FT-3, and a Titleist 907 D2, that the guy could purchase any one of them and it would be less than half of what getting that Hi-Bore re-shafted. The three of us talked about the Hi-Bore and the drivers he put out there while the owner was putting on new tape on my clubs. The person then went out to the car, talked to 'the boss', came back in and walked out after buying a slightly used (I would put it in the 'Very Good' to 'Mint' category with the slightest of discoloration on the crown) Razr-X.

Now to wait for the next good golf day and see how the sticks feel getting new grips.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

^^The waggle test ^^

Have you been on this site too long?

protos F4