2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

I saw a bit of Jordan Speith's interview this morning at The Open. He was getting questions about why he skipping the Olympics. When the reporter mentioned zika, Jordan said he wasn't going because of "health reasons", not zika. What? What other health reasons are there other than zika?

The only thing I could think of was getting shot in the head during a kidnapping attempt - that is a pretty serious health reason lol.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Kidnapping is one of the main reasons for these guys. Pga players are worth so much and don't have the infrastructure that the USA basketball guys have in terms of protection and organization.

The guys going are going to have to hire personal security teams if they're serious about their safety

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

The best way I can describe the greens is like playing late in the day on a course that had a big scramble tournament earlier. Too many unfixed ball marks, and lots of sloppy foot traffic near the holes. They were just about the ideal firmness, IMO. I bet the speed on them was better earlier in the day as well.

I just don't get what's going on there this year. Some combination of the weather this spring, and what they've done must have just F'ed them up and put them seriously in defense mode. They've done some form of aeration on the greens 3 times already this year. They randomly top dressed them at least one other time. The fairways finally came out when the weather warmed up, and now they aerate and verticut them? They were perfect last week. I don't understand what is happening. They get pretty solid weekend traffic, but play during the week is light. Add to that they've got the financial backing of the Columbia Association, and the overall conditions this year have just been vexing. I've played it other times in 2014 and 2015, and didn't see any of this nonsense.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but it seemed to me like the ball was really flying yesterday.

Canton had an all-world par save on 16 yesterday. He was just pass where the path forks, short and left of the green. He hit a big high flopper that caught some leaves on the way up, plopped down softly, and trickled to about 5 feet.

Greg should easily be a mid single-digit handicap. Seriously. Find somebody reputable, and spend a couple hours with them on short game and putting lessons. It'll be worth every penny when your scores plummet.

Not surprised to hear PQ put up a really nice round yesterday. Every time we looked back, he was stuffing an approach shot. Much tour sauce. Very accuracy. Wow.

I definitely didn't have the same control yesterday that I did last week, but it felt good to still have some consistency carry over. I really do feel like playing smarter golf is helping as well. I'm playing more tactical off the tee, and less aggressively on approaches that aren't green light situations. According to eaglegrint.com, my par 5 scoring average is down .2 strokes over the last 5 rounds, compared to the average for my last 20. That's almost a stroke a round, which is huge when you start getting down towards scratch. Every fraction of a shot gets harder and harder to shave off.

Kidnapping is one of the main reasons for these guys. Pga players are worth so much and don't have the infrastructure that the USA basketball guys have in terms of protection and organization.

The guys going are going to have to hire personal security teams if they're serious about their safety

The security situation is a legitimate disaster down there right now but it is not really getting a lot of press - just yet.

But its coming.

Also the Golf Channel hammering on these golfers for not going is getting old. One of the desk guys last night was talking about how all these other athletes are going and the golfers are the ones dropping out. But these guys are outside 6-8 hours a day, walking on a property with stagnant water that was built on a swamp. I'm not really worried about the health of the 75% (or whatever it is) of the athletes that are indoors-only.

There's one reason Rory doesn't want to play in the Olympics.

Here's a little hint. . .

mcilroy2.jpg

The worst guy of all is Vijay. I think he's a little more concerned with "deer antler virus" than the Zika virus.

He's basically the most famous person ever from Fiji and he's not going to go play in the Olympics for them?

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

City. You're spot on there too

Tiger back in the day looked a lot more like a linebacker than he did a golfer. Once the tour testing increased he magically couldn't come back from injuries like he used to.

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

mcilroy2.jpg

The worst guy of all is Vijay. I think he's a little more concerned with "deer antler virus" than the Zika virus.

He's basically the most famous person ever from Fiji and he's not going to go play in the Olympics for them?

The deer antler thing with Vijay is one thing but I don't think Rory has been using any PEDs. He was a slightly pudgy kid years ago who probably has no issues putting on some muscle. He's a professional athlete who has the lifestyle that allows him to eat well, train hard, and recover properly. He's still sub 200 pounds and nowhere near what I'd call big. A good pump, proper lighting, some photoshop and anyone can look like a beast.

Do you think Vijay cares about growing golf in Fiji? If that is even a thing - do people even care about Olympic golf in Fiji?

I feel like these guys have basically been badgered by the media into pretending they love the Olympics - ooooh the Olympics, so amazing! I couldn't care less if they dont go. But I'd rather hear what Rory said though which is essentially look the Olympics are the 9th most important thing I care about golfwise, rather than making up some other reason. I still think those reasons are absolutely valid FWIW, I just prefer the honesty.

Vijays been on a handful of Presidents Cup teams too so its not like he's never represented his country.

But then again I also hate the idea of professional golfers representing golf in the Olympics.

mcilroy2.jpg

You couldn't see that natural potential back in 2009?

rory-mcilroy_1725011c.jpg

Edit - to be clear, I'm not arguing either way, but I think it is easy enough for someone like that to get trim and cut with a full time trainer and an open schedule, like JKC said.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Edit - to be clear, I'm not arguing either way, but I think it is easy enough for someone like that to get trim and cut with a full time trainer and an open schedule, like JKC said.

Super easy. Money for a full time personal trainer and nutritionist and all the best gear. Not a stretch to get trim and cut in those circumstances. Not like he's working a 40 hour week and trying to get a workout in here and there.

The Zika virus has definitely been a convenient cover for a majority of the golfers deciding not to go. Props to Rory for telling us how he really feels about golf in the Olympics (although he initially cited Zika as his reason for pulling out). His priority right now is to win majors and he isn't necessarily worried about going out of his way to grow the game. If Rory did go to Rio and win a gold medal how many people would that bring to golf? I don't think that many.

The police in Rio haven't been paid in months. Those are the first people that need paid in any city! And the Olympic Committee is out there saying that they are ready for the games to start today. What a bunch of fools.

Honestly, I think a TON of these guys use something they can get away with on the tour and not in the Olympics.

I don't think the media is badgering these guys into saying they love the Olympics.

It would be nice if they weren't being Word not allowedholes about it, though. Some guys are going there to enjoy themselves, play a tournament, try to win something for their country and themselves and Rory is going, "I'm going to watch diving, something that matters."

Nice, Rors. How about we just have everybody swing a golf club and we'll rate their swings from 1-10. Highest score wins. F*cking diving.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Yea, he's just leaned up and put on muscle over a decent period of time. I was always a heavy kid, it is just in my genetics. But, I can look at food and with minimal time in the gym I will put on muscle. Leaning out just comes from most importantly proper diet, but also upping intensity and adding in some cardio when needed. I worked my a** off to get into amazing shape after not taking care of myself and prepare for a bodybuilding show while I owned my own software development company. It can be done.

Unfortunately I've gotten fat as f*** again after going through all the bullxxxx of dissolving a company when you have partners. Finally have balance and going to get back into shape. I figure it can only help my golf game too. :)

Yeah, Rory is 5'9" and 161. That's pretty slim still and he works out with professional guidance. In the middle of a gym session you get that kind of pump (plus that photo is mid rep).

For reference I'm just shy of that height and my "fighting weight" is 175.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Yeah, Rory is 5'9" and 161. That's pretty slim still and he works out with professional guidance. In the middle of a gym session you get that kind of pump (plus that photo is mid rep).

5'9 165 is consider overweight per Air Force standards.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

overweight per paper - but after a physical examination it would be moot.

rory's job is to stay fit, get stronger, and practice his skill. he has a team soley just for his fitness, and his physical transformation, I would say is 100% legit and clean. if we had that time/team I bet we would all look pretty similar respective to our body types. I'd suspect he's not drinking as much as we are - but I could be wrong :)

According to this article, he got to 170 and put on 20 pounds of muscle mass between 2010 and 2012. . .I don't know where he is now. 160 seems small.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/rory-mcilroy%E2%80%99s-trainer-reveals-mcilroys-training-regimen

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

What WRX thinks is "too big" or "too muscular":

ryanreynolds2.jpg

What WRX thinks is the perfect body for golf:

rFYLmYC.png

What REAL Swoll or Muscular looks like:

DtJVhkGk.jpg

I've been in other threads hearing that Tiger or Rory are too muscular or bulky now...I'm sorry but what kind of p***y a** s*** are they talking about. They have good lean muscle going on. That pic of Ryan Reynolds when he trained to play his character in Blade is LEAN muscle, not body builder type muscle. Other members on other threads expect someone like Tiger or Rory to look thin with a bird chest and think that's a good look or having too much muscle has hindered their golf career can gtfoh. I'd kill to have lean muscle mass like Ryan Reynolds or Brad Pitt did in Troy.

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Nike VR TW blade/split cavity- 4-PW

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

And I'll be sure to weep myself to sleep over the obsolete metric that is Body Mass Index!

If my current self got down to 170 I'd be in single digit body fat. At 177 a couple years ago I was measured @ 11% and told I was 'borderline obese' because of the BMI measurement.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

rory's job is to stay fit, get stronger, and practice his skill. he has a team soley just for his fitness, and his physical transformation,

Yeah, and that was the job adn team of Mark McGwire, and Barry Bonds, and Tiger Woods, and Ben Johnson, and Lance Armstrong and Ray Lewis and and and and and

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I haven't had much good stuff this year so I'm relatively pleased with the grinding ability. Short game is better than last year and my iron play feels good, putting is usually not killing me. I have to get this business with woods out of dodge- 3 irons are nice off the tee but 300 yards in the fairway makes golf a lot easier.

Couldn't agree more. I'm not Goose-strong but my last ten rounds from Game Golf clearly show that in aggregate driver is definitely the better play for me.

Last ten rounds

Driver - 272 avg / 68% fw

3W - 237 avg / 46% fw

More importantly for me, when I miss with the driver, its still 30-40 yards ahead of where a missed 3W is. Not saying the 3W still isnt the play at time but definitely not leaning on it like I was a few months ago.

Totally different things, Boogs.

Known steroid user. . .

Ben-Johnson.jpg

You don't need to be SWOLE to be on the juice. You build it right, and for the specific things you need.

Juicer. . .

Rafael-Palmeiro.jpg?id=457908cd-36d8-478b-9e6c-ed6c7222ffdc&size=original

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

And I'll be sure to weep myself to sleep over the obsolete metric that is Body Mass Index!

If my current self got down to 170 I'd be in single digit body fat. At 177 a couple years ago I was measured @ 11% and told I was 'borderline obese' because of the BMI measurement.

That BMI chart is the dumbest thing I've seen. At my height, I think my "ideal" weight should be 125-135 pounds. WTF?!

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

I haven't had much good stuff this year so I'm relatively pleased with the grinding ability. Short game is better than last year and my iron play feels good, putting is usually not killing me. I have to get this business with woods out of dodge- 3 irons are nice off the tee but 300 yards in the fairway makes golf a lot easier.

Couldn't agree more. I'm not Goose-strong but my last ten rounds from Game Golf clearly show that in aggregate driver is definitely the better play for me.

Last ten rounds

Driver - 272 avg / 68% fw

3W - 237 avg / 46% fw

More importantly for me, when I miss with the driver, its still 30-40 yards ahead of where a missed 3W is. Not saying the 3W still isnt the play at time but definitely not leaning on it like I was a few months ago.

True, and it's not like we are playing in rough that is tough on full wedge shots if you know what you're doing.

Basically my power is the ONLY thing getting me by. I can still hit that Fli Hi on 415-430 yard holes and not put myself way back on an approach. I flew the 13th green so the actual right club in was something like a hard 8 or regular 7.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Totally different things, Boogs.

Known steroid user. . .

Ben-Johnson.jpg

You don't need to be SWOLE to be on the juice. You build it right, and for the specific things you need.

Juicer. . .

Rafael-Palmeiro.jpg?id=457908cd-36d8-478b-9e6c-ed6c7222ffdc&size=original

I'm not talking about juicing...I'm talking about that WRX members think that the build that Tiger and Rory have or did have are "swole" or "too muscular". It's not. When you have a healthy diet and get your body fat percentage to 5% or less, you're naturally going to look "muscular".

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

rory's job is to stay fit, get stronger, and practice his skill. he has a team soley just for his fitness, and his physical transformation,

Yeah, and that was the job adn team of Mark McGwire, and Barry Bonds, and Tiger Woods, and Ben Johnson, and Lance Armstrong and Ray Lewis and and and and and

You think Tiger took PEDs? At least McGwire and Bonds it was overly blatantly obvious. As for the cycling - he was blood doping a whole different type for cyclists.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say rory could be where he is naturally.

That BMI chart is the dumbest thing I've seen. At my height, I think my "ideal" weight should be 125-135 pounds. WTF?!

I'm obese according to the charts.

Obese.

I ain't skinny. But OBESE?

Still, those BMI charts get a little mis-represented. Basically, BMI is a number and that number correlates with OTHER factors. In no way is it a perfect predictor of health, or health problems, but when you use it across populations, it does correlate with risk factors.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I'd be surprised if he were much over 170. Everyone says he looks jacked, but really I think he's just a lean dude. Plenty of guys at the gym I go to who have more muscle than him without looking like something out of a comic book.

I don't really think Rory is on juice (not that I would really know one way or the other). It's not too difficult to look like him naturally, if you have the dedication and time.

Edit: I don't know how much I weigh, but if I had to ballpark it I'm pretty sure that BMI scale would have me significantly overweight

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

It was always a crock but that's what they went off. It impacted some people's careers.

I'm down to 8% body fat...really don't care to be this skinny. Thus, why I'm trying to bulk up because being skinny hasn't helped my golf game.

At least chubby, I could hit the driver straight.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway