2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

Anyone listen to ShackHouse this week?

Pretty good episode -- except for the sound of a TRAIN in the background.

Shack talked to Mike Tirico in a pretty good conversation. Tirico had a few things to say about having to be on the air when rules stuff came in.

He also said that basically, NBC and the golf channel are going to have the British Open on starting at 1:30 AM on Thursday, and run it for 2 (or 4) days straight.

Shack and House mentioned that Jim Herman takes a golf trip to Scotland with his buddies every year. I always like the stories that shows these guys sometimes still seem to like golf on the fun level, too.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Inspired by the blowout sale on Nike shoes...

Golf Talk Wednesday : What is your favorite golf shoe of the last 2-3 years?

The Adidas Gripmore. Its the only spikeless shoe I've never had traction issues with and is the most comfortable walking shoe I've ever tried. Bought two pairs when they came out and almost have worn through the black ones - the back of the ankle part is wearing a hole in it. Bought a 2nd pair on ebay, probably will buy a backup pair to the white ones as well.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

TW 13.. The general shape of it matches my feet. Best combination of weight, grip, and comfort in a shoe thus far.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Nikesp8whiteblack9-2.jpg

*mic drop

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Nike VR TW blade/split cavity- 4-PW

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

Shopping deals at Ross and crossword puzzles? Suddenly Kent seems to be the youngest one on the thread.

GTW2: favorite early bird special. Bonus if it's a buffet and near a Ross.

Bob Evans. Sunshine skillet with extra biscuits and gravy on the side FTfreakinW.

o.jpg

Toulon Palm Beach

I said 2-3 years, Boogs. I think you're reaching about 10 years back with those lol. Great shoes, though. I had a white pair, and a brown pair. The Nike Tour Premiums I picked up a couple years ago are almost exactly the same.

I'm torn between the TW 13 and TW 15 for my favorite in the last couple years. I like the look and fit of the upper better on the TW 15. I like the comfort of the footbed, overall shape, and durability of the TW 13 better. I'd be happy to have a lifetime supply of either one, honestly.

Are there any courses within 45 minutes of DC that you can play a round in 4.5hrs for ~$50? Not a member - just getting back into the swing of things and trying to improve my game, but having a really tough time with finding a good course to sharpen my skills on.

I recently played the following:

Little Bennett - all the blind teeboxes spooked me a little but it was a fairly fun course, the grade changes gave me some real challenges

Falls Road - Pace was okay, course was okay

East Potomac White - Pace was painful, greens were a mess but it was kind of fun

UMD - fantastic course, but was extremely challenging for me despite making par on one of the harder holes

Also - if anyone has any recommendations for teachers/lessons my ears are open. I live in NW DC, work a 8-6 job but am willing to put the work in.

Thanks!

Shopping deals at Ross and crossword puzzles? Suddenly Kent seems to be the youngest one on the thread.

GTW2: favorite early bird special. Bonus if it's a buffet and near a Ross.

Always sticking with iHop. Can walk there and its the only place around me that serves scrapple.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I said 2-3 years, Boogs. I think you're reaching about 10 years back with those lol. Great shoes, though. I had a white pair, and a brown pair. The Nike Tour Premiums I picked up a couple years ago are almost exactly the same.

I'm torn between the TW 13 and TW 15 for my favorite in the last couple years. I like the look and fit of the upper better on the TW 15. I like the comfort of the footbed, overall shape, and durability of the TW 13 better. I'd be happy to have a lifetime supply of either one, honestly.

Do your feet squeak in the TW 13s? Maybe its the socks I use, but mine squeak quite a bit, esp when I'm doing the "address shuffle" before hitting a shot.

Toulon Palm Beach

I'm sure Vijay could spot him some deer antler spray to help...

Toulon Palm Beach

Are there any courses within 45 minutes of DC that you can play a round in 4.5hrs for ~$50? Not a member - just getting back into the swing of things and trying to improve my game, but having a really tough time with finding a good course to sharpen my skills on.

Little Bennett - all the blind teeboxes spooked me a little but it was a fairly fun course, the grade changes gave me some real challenges

East Potomac White - Pace was painful, greens were a mess but it was kind of fun

UMD - fantastic course, but was extremely challenging for me despite making par on one of the harder holes

Also - if anyone has any recommendations for teachers/lessons my ears are open. I live in NW DC, work a 8-6 job but am willing to put the work in.

Thanks!

45 minutes at what time?

also waht time are you looking to play - you have to look at muni's like twin lakes, or pohick in virginia, i can't think of anything else that price

Maybe he's saying that even a shoe 10 years old is better than the last 2-3 years of shoes!

I loved the TW 13 initially and then they started gouging skin off my pinkie toes. LC3 for me.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Oh woops...here's my pic:

adidas-adiPURE_white-black.jpg

One of the cleanest and best looking shoes I've had.

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Maybe he's saying that even a show 10 years old is better than the last 2-3 years of shoes!

I loved the TW 13 initially and then they started gouging skin off my pinkie toes. LC3 for me.

Pretty much this. The SP-8s were the best shoes ever imo..

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Thanks!

45 minutes at what time?

also waht time are you looking to play - you have to look at muni's like twin lakes, or pohick in virginia, i can't think of anything else that price

Sorry - should have been more clear. Given that I have to work an 8-6, i'm mostly looking at weekends or dusk play - i can sometimes break out at 5 to make it on the course by 6 - but that doesn't seem to work out so well to squeeze 9 in.

Chorizo Burrito at Golden West. . .

ls.jpg

Favorite golf shoe from the last 2-3 years ar 5 year old ORIGINAL Chukkas on sale. . .

true-chukka-2.jpg

top.h. . .depending on where in NWDC, you can starting getting up into the PB Dye, Worthington Manor area. You can get on in the afternoons there for less than $50, more on the weekends. Lots of other guys will have recs for you.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I would have picked my Tour 360 if they didn't weigh 3x as much as the TW 13. They are definitely more comfortable than the TW.

Toulon Palm Beach

Thanks!

You might have to travel bit for instructors.

Some good ones at Lake Presidential and it sounds Olney golf park.

Good luck and stop back in. A few of the guys live in DC too.

MD

Gunpowder (cheapest but fair/challenging)

Northwest (27 holes, so you could just knock out 9)

Blue Mash (might be more expensive but great practice facility)

Andrews AFB (If you are a cia agent or work the government or DOD contractor)

Sligo Creek (only 9)

VA

Greendale (fun track)

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Toulon Palm Beach

I would have picked my Tour 360 if they didn't weigh 3x as much as the TW 13. They are definitely more comfortable than the TW.

I had the 360 ATVs, great shoes as well but like you said they were a tad bit heavy especially compared to the synthetic material they used on the TW13s.

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Thanks!

You might have to travel bit for instructors.

Some good ones at Lake Presidential and it sounds Olney golf park.

Good luck and stop back in. A few of the guys live in DC too.

MD

Gunpowder (cheapest but fair/challenging)

Northwest (27 holes, so you could just knock out 9)

Blue Mash (might be more expensive but great practice facility)

Andrews AFB (If you are a cia agent or work the government or DOD contractor)

Sligo Creek (only 9)

VA

Greendale (fun track)

Much appreciated!

For golf shoes from last 2-3 years for real, I like the lyt||dry from true linkswear.

True-Linkswear-Lyt-Dry.jpg

And, the lyt||breathe. . .

51XYxmvM93L.jpg

Lyt breathe are kind of annoying because they slip-on and when they're new, it takes three people and the jaws of life to get my ping-pong paddle feet through the opening, but they're comfortable, light, and cool. The lyt-dry aren't as beefy as the Chukkas, but they stay dry and are light and comfortable and I've got quite a few rounds on them and they're holding up well.

I don't really like the LOOKS of either of them. I just wish they were both totally murdered. Their updated version is the elements hybrid. I'm going to wait a year for no one to buy these, either, and pick up a couple for $30.

true-elements3.jpg

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

@top.h

All the Montgomery County public courses are pretty good. My normal rotation is Falls Road, Needwood and Northwest Park. They're pretty straightforward and walkable. It can get kind of slow during prime times though, especially Falls Road.

Redgate in Rockville is another cheaper public course. Hilly. A bit of an oddball design. A couple of the par 5s are not well liked/hated. The greens were not good last year, but they're getting back to ok so far this year. My kids and I have taken lessons from the pro there.

Gunpowder, as mentioned earlier, is not bad. Quirky lay out, but cheap.

In Virginia Reston National and Brambleton seemed like decent courses. Only played them once.

Enterprise GC was decent, although it's been a while since I've played there.

top.h, as Tex said, Greendale is definitely a good twilight track, but getting down 395 from DC can be tough, although there are back roads to take as an alternative. Pinecrest in Annandale is also decent for 9 holes in the evening. That being said Twin Lakes is my go-to because they have a full range (not grass though), short game area, putting green, and 2 18 hole courses, which really increases pace of play in evening. Their twilight walking rates are like $25. Of course, you'll have to figure out how to get from DC to Clifton at 5 pm...

Toulon Palm Beach