Driving Ranges and Distance Flags

I've been to several driving ranges in my area and there is only couple that actually do a good job of having an adequate number of flags or targets to hit towards or measure distances.

Several of the ranges are pretty decent, but have 3-4 flags from 50- 250 yds. Why would a range not have more flags. With a rangefinder, its prett convenient to be able to hit at flags of all distances, yet it seems too many courses think an open field is all you need for a quality practice range.

is the reason that its just to hard to pick balls or mow with more flags? i routinely go to the one course with a better practice facility. wouldn't other ranges get more business if they would just make the simple and easy improvements such as adding few more flags to their range.

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

Takes lots of $3-4 buckets to justify big range improvements. And most people will hit balls regardless as they are just looking to warm up. Maybe 5-10% of people will not hit balls if there are no targets, so not really worth the extra investment for most courses.

Covert 1.0 (RIP Alpha X)
i25 15*
913H 21 Tour Green Stiff
714 CB 4-PW
50, 56, 60 MD2
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.6
<a href="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1004543-obon18s-witb" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a>

[quote name='OBon18' timestamp='1431461983' post='11547108']
Takes lots of $3-4 buckets to justify big range improvements. And most people will hit balls regardless as they are just looking to warm up. Maybe 5-10% of people will not hit balls if there are no targets, so not really worth the extra investment for most courses.
[/quote]

where are you getting $3 and $4 buckets at? I think the ranges I have frequented in my life I've never payed less than $5 and that was for the smallest bucket of balls. and to be honest calling these places driving ranges is fairly generous...they were basically just open fields where they let you hit balls.

I have learned one big thing about driving ranges. I will never use a Driving Range as distance measuring device.

I will use it to focus on timing, quality of ball striking and unique shots like moving the ball left and right up and down without much though on distance.

1) Yes the range flags are all over the place.
2) with the design of the range a person on the far left/right could be hitting longer in to the 50 yard flag in the middle of the range......geometry in full effect LOL
3) RANGE BALLS RANGE BALLS RANGE BALLS...... Those pieces of crap are no indication of how the ball would really travel on the course
4) When I work on ranges I also need to know how the ball reacts. but the ranges are sometimes dirt, or over grown grass. I cant tell if I am hitting it and it will stop or if it will roll like hell.

So personally I would not take to much account into the distances but focus more on quality of strike.

• Like 1

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

how much do the flags in the ground actually cost? and where in Indiana can you get a $3-4 bucket.

i'd be interested to see the number of people who buy range balls and whether they are to warm up before a round or for practice and then headed home. i'm not saying people won't hit balls without flags, but why not make the range experience better. i get costly improvements aren't going to happen, but adding stationary targets to the range does not seem that costly.

Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P

[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1431462664' post='11547198']
I have learned one big thing about driving ranges. I will never use a Driving Range as distance measuring device.

I will use it to focus on timing, quality of ball striking and unique shots like moving the ball left and right up and down without much though on distance.

2) with the design of the range a person on the far left/right could be hitting longer in to the 50 yard flag in the middle of the range......geometry in full effect LOL
3) RANGE BALLS RANGE BALLS RANGE BALLS...... Those pieces of crap are no indication of how the ball would really travel on the course
4) When I work on ranges I also need to know how the ball reacts. but the ranges are sometimes dirt, or over grown grass. I cant tell if I am hitting it and it will stop or if it will roll like hell.

So personally I would not take to much account into the distances but focus more on quality of strike.
[/quote]

of course i wouldn't trust the sign with posted yardages, but some people have rangefinders. and ranges that don't have beat up old balls you can get your distances dialed in fairly well. i don't need to see how the ball reacts when in hits the ground on a range. i know it will stop when hitting into a green. i do like to work on hitting a 120 yd wedge and not have to choose between the 80 yd flag and the 160 yd flag.

Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P

[quote name='HoosierMizuno' timestamp='1431462881' post='11547222']
[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1431462664' post='11547198']

[/quote]

of course i wouldn't trust the sign with posted yardages, but some people have rangefinders. and ranges that don't have beat up old balls you can get your distances dialed in fairly well.
[/quote]

Damn I forgot, I am at GolfWRX where many members are Country Club members and touring pros LOL

Seriously though, I am sure 80% of all driving ranges are pure crap, yes there are some nice ranges but I am sure many of use do not have that luxury to practice at those on a consistent basis.

In addition I have the pleasure of playing at 2 of our top Country Clubs where I live, yups they still use "Range Balls" nothing compared to the balls I use....So while the Distance are there....I wouldnt hold a candle in the wind for them......

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

My home course is investing a ton of cash lately and one of the things they bought was new Titleist "Practice" range balls with no stripes. It's nice to practice with balls that are not limited distance or nicked up dogs. Like others I also laser the flags to work on distance as well as direction. It can be done.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

and another thing....how about ranges that do not offer grass hitting areas. Those turf mats provide a really false sense of success for people. Hit it six inches fat and your club bounces off the rubber mat and the ball flies right down the range. So deceiving for beginners as to how well you really are striking the ball.

It's not that the range balls are "beat up"...it's that range balls are made differently.

Specifically they are made to fly shorter, and to take a hell of a lot more hits before they crack.

So use the range for shot shaping and warming up, I wouldn't laser flags and then guage your distance from that.

You're going to find out either the flag marked 150 is at 135 (to account for limited flight balls) or that it is close to 150, and you're not reaching it with your 150 club.

Not to mention the inconsistency from ball to ball.

i have a pretty decent range i frequent with nice grass, but standard range balls. had my first lesson last year and hit a pretty solid drive but it didn't go more than 240. i told my instructor that i was disappointed in the distance. he told me the balls were designed not to fly very far. i grabbed a crappy Top Flite ball from my bag I had found on the course and hit a drive again. same swing and drive but it went 30 yards farther. I was kind of shocked.

bottom line is that once you reach a certain level, never use ranges to figure out your distances. use them for feel and working on solid impacts. I do like when there are targets, but i use those targets for the direction, not distance. I couldn't care less if my range ball was dropping right at the flag, way past, or way short. As long as it's going on the correct line toward the flag.

[quote name='angler99' timestamp='1431528301' post='11551832']
i have a pretty decent range i frequent with nice grass, but standard range balls. had my first lesson last year and hit a pretty solid drive but it didn't go more than 240. i told my instructor that i was disappointed in the distance. he told me the balls were designed not to fly very far. i grabbed a crappy Top Flite ball from my bag I had found on the course and hit a drive again. same swing and drive but it went 30 yards farther. I was kind of shocked.

bottom line is that once you reach a certain level, never use ranges to figure out your distances. use them for feel and working on solid impacts. I do like when there are targets, but i use those targets for the direction, not distance. I couldn't care less if my range ball was dropping right at the flag, way past, or way short. As long as it's going on the correct line toward the flag.
[/quote]

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/2014-06/gd-tested-range-balls

I've always been told that standard range balls are 5%-10% limited distance.

I was a member at a course in AZ that posted a sign from the middle of the range setup that day with the distance to each flag from that spot. They did this every morning with a range finder.

Ranges are a limited source of income at most golf courses. There is not a lot of return for money spent on a range. 90% of golfers don't even know we have a range or where it is. They never use it. I'm betting not more then 10% of the people warm up and even less then that practice on any range.

• Like 1