2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping i-e Irons?

Nessism

[quote name='rbilramz' timestamp='1437356337' post='11981462']
[quote name='driverwedge3putt' timestamp='1437355608' post='11981358']
I ordered a set from Golftown 3-U S300, Standard Length Standard Loft, Stock Grip

Very excited - question though will they come Black Dot or Blue Dot???

Im hoping / assuming Black
[/quote]

Since "standard" is now +1/4" I'm guessing they'll be blue dot. Report back, I'm sure a lot of people would like to know.
[/quote]

I'll reply to my own response, because I know I'm wrong. Standard is standard; Ping knows to adjust that based on length. The blue dot is based on their research to what the average i series buyer needs.

I'll still be curious to see what they send you, black or blue dot.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

When I went in to test, I loved the Modus 105 stiff. My 7 iron SS is 91-92 mph. The stiff was producing about 6800 RPM according to GC2. I chose the Modus 105 X Stiff as I felt the stiff would allow my misses to be a bit wider.

Irons were ordered on the 16th, so we will see when they come in!

PING G430 Max 9* • Tensei 1K Pro Orange 6S
PING G430 3 Wood • Tensei 1K Pro Blue 7S
Titleist TSR2 3 Hybrid • Tensei 1K Hybrid 80S

T200 4 Iron • Hzrdus 6.0

PING Blueprint S 5-PW • AWT 2.0 X

Vokey 50.12F, 54.10S, 58.08M • DG TI S400 Onyx

Odyssey 2-Ball Eleven • BGT Stability Tour

[quote name='rbilramz' timestamp='1437363584' post='11982160']
I ordered a set from Golftown 3-U S300, Standard Length Standard Loft, Stock Grip

[/quote]

Since "standard" is now +1/4" I'm guessing they'll be blue dot. Report back, I'm sure a lot of people would like to know.
[/quote]

I'll reply to my own response, because I know I'm wrong. Standard is standard; Ping knows to adjust that based on length. The blue dot is based on their research to what the average i series buyer needs.

[/quote]If they state on the website standard specs are blue dot, why would they not send a standard order as blue dot?

[quote name='denvergolf' timestamp='1437363914' post='11982182']
[quote name='rbilramz' timestamp='1437363584' post='11982160']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]If they state on the website standard specs are blue dot, why would they not send a standard order as blue dot?
[/quote]

Good point. I guess it all comes back to what "standard" means. My second post was only is response to the length vs. lie. It's probably best for everyone to order a specific color, not simply @standard".

Hi

I have been looking at these clubs, I haven't had a chance to try them, but they look really nice in the flesh.

I've been playing for around 5 months now with a second hand set of G15s, when I play my average score is around 91-95 or so. I'm just wondering if these clubs are aimed at a much better player than me, which is what I think is the case.

I'm hoping to continue to improve and I want a set that can last for a while and still be relevant as I progress.

Thanks for the help.

[quote name='d.m.gannon' timestamp='1437389687' post='11982904']
Hi

I have been looking at these clubs, I haven't had a chance to try them, but they look really nice in the flesh.

I've been playing for around 5 months now with a second hand set of G15s, when I play my average score is around 91-95 or so. I'm just wondering if these clubs are aimed at a much better player than me, which is what I think is the case.

I'm hoping to continue to improve and I want a set that can last for a while and still be relevant as I progress.

Thanks for the help.
[/quote]

Going by your scores, i'd guess you would be better off staying with the G series irons. the i series are PLAYERS irons,so unless your ball striking with irons is impeccable, better err on the G side..... :no2:

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

[quote name='nilopol' timestamp='1437293543' post='11976894']
[quote name='tommaso05' timestamp='1437259102' post='11974694']Got back from my fitting. My previous irons were i10's, and when I got fitted for those (almost 10 years ago) my swing was a bit different.

Got fitted at the new Golf Galaxy in Columbus, OH (Easton) which has a dedicated Ping fitting bay and fitter. I'm a high ball hitter so I only tried the DG's and PX's (7 iron only). Started with the DG's and those were nice (huge improvement over i10's). Good solid feel and tighter dispersion. However still felt a little "loose," even after 30 balls or so. I swapped over to the PX 6.0's and over an additional 30-40 balls I knew this setup was perfect. Dispersion tightened up quite a bit over the DG's, and the #'s were pretty solid. Overall I really liked the feel of the i's. It's a very solid feel even off-center, but anything close to the center just feels flush as can be. All of the data on the simulator backed it up, too. I didn't lose much distance on off-center shots and my misses were much much smaller. I finished the session by getting some impact stickers on the face and sole and hit a number of balls and hitting off of the plastic board. Dead flush on everything. Lie angle was perfect. So I ordered a set and hopefully they ship out right away on July 30th.

4-PW
Blue dot (.75 upright)
Standard grip
Standard length
Project X 6.0

Some numbers (7 iron on everything with a Pro V1 for all shots):
89 mph club head speed
115.5 ball speed (smash factor of 1.30)
20.8' launch angle
6338 rpm spin
4 yard draw was the avg shot
48.1' landing angle
164 yard carry and a 171 total carry[/quote]
I was wondering did you stay a blue dot from the i10 to iE's? Or did you from one to the blue?
[/quote]

My swing has changed a bunch since almost 10 years ago when I got fit for my i10's. I was lower to the ground and had my hands lower. Therefore my i10's are red dot (.75 flat), but since my swing has changed (standing taller and now I swing a little bit harder), the blue dot is now a perfect fit. I have noticed the past couple of years my i10's contacting the turf a lot out on the toe, so new irons have been needed for a while!

Callaway GBB Epic SZ 10' - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15' - HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5
Taylormade SIM 3H - GD AD-DI 8x
Ping i(e1) 4-PW - Project X 6.0 
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08F, 54.08M, 60.04L - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 7

[quote name='puttitin' timestamp='1437393864' post='11983080']
Hi

Thanks for the help.
[/quote]

Going by your scores, i'd guess you would be better off staying with the G series irons. the [b]i series are PLAYERS irons,so unless your ball striking with irons is impeccable, better err on the G side.[/b].... :no2:
[/quote]

:blind:
Dont think you need "impeccable" ball striking to play irons the size of Kim K a**

[quote name='beluga99' timestamp='1437445245' post='11989550']
Would love to hear a comparison between the CFS, Modus and S300 once people start trying these combos.
[/quote]
+1

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

Saw and hit them for the first time today. Very pleasantly surprised. In hand, they definitely remind me of my old i5's and I love the fact they can be refinished if they ever need to be (since there's no chrome).

Felt much better/softer than I expected. Hit them almost identically to my current s55/i25 mixed set. (Could have something to do with the fact that my ideal specs are blue, +.25, and CFS Stiff).

Forgiveness was pretty impressive, too. I'd recommend them to anyone who prefers the look of smaller heads (and doesn't have to play blades).

From all appearances, they're solid, hardworking irons with some smart engineering and minimal hype. PING should be proud.

I went to my fitter today and they had the 7 iron for demo. I hit it today in the Blue dot (my spec) with the Project X 6.0 and it was pretty good. Top line was thin and the offset was (imho) much less than the I-25. They were very easy to hit and very soft for a cast club. Overall, another great club from PING. A couple months ago, I would have thought about gaming it but my S55s are more than safe:)

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

[quote name='Makuakane_Bear' timestamp='1437453077' post='11990286']
I went to my fitter today and they had the 7 iron for demo. I hit it today in the Blue dot (my spec) with the Project X 6.0 and it was pretty good. Top line was thin and the offset was (imho) much less than the I-25. They were very easy to hit and very soft for a cast club. Overall, another great club from PING. A couple months ago, I would have thought about gaming it but my S55s are more than safe:)
[/quote]

Most all the manufacturers produce 7 irons with relatively thin top lines. The problem is that these "progressive sets" , in the the 6, 5, 4, and 3 irons, have very large heads with thick top lines.

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

[quote name='square' timestamp='1437453980' post='11990340']
[/quote]

Most all the manufacturers produce 7 irons with relatively thin top lines. The problem is that these "progressive sets" , in the the 6, 5, 4, and 3 irons, have very large heads with thick top lines.
[/quote]

Is that "the problem" with progressive sets, or "the point".

[quote name='rbilramz' timestamp='1437455521' post='11990398']
[quote name='square' timestamp='1437453980' post='11990340']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Is that "the problem" with progressive sets, or "the point".
[/quote]

amen

[quote name='woody1351' timestamp='1437443289' post='11989290']
I've been hitting our demo clubon and off since Friday. I like it with the s300 shaft best but am going to hit on a trackman tomorrow and see what my numbers are before I buy. I have not hit the modus shaft yet, but will tomorrow.
[/quote]

How did it go?

I didn't hit on the trackman bc there was someone on it and I said I had a meeting at work so I could go get fit. I hit the blue and red head I was in between those, but they did not have a black head. out of all the shafts I liked the s300 the best, followed by the px6.0. I think my I20s feel better, softer than the IE1. She was going to call her rep and go over all the info we got.

[quote name='snook...' timestamp='1437497568' post='11992806']
Just ordered. 4-W X100. Gave them serial number of last fitted set. They will match the old set for length and lie.
[/quote]

The new Ping i irons standard length is .25" longer than Ping's previous standard length. For example the 5 iron is now 38" compared to Ping's decade long standard of 37.75".

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

[quote name='pthor' timestamp='1437395910' post='11983196']
[quote name='puttitin' timestamp='1437393864' post='11983080']
Hi

Thanks for the help.
[/quote]

Going by your scores, i'd guess you would be better off staying with the G series irons. the [b]i series are PLAYERS irons,so unless your ball striking with irons is impeccable, better err on the G side.[/b].... :no2:
[/quote]

:blind:
Dont think you need "impeccable" ball striking to play irons the size of Kim K a**
[/quote]

Really I series are huge huh. That's such a Wrx thing to say. I bet you play baby blades and hit your double x flex driver 350 huh

I hit moon balls with the Modus. Dynamic gold felt heavy. CFS was a nice balance between the two.

PING G410 LST 9° Ping Tour 65 S

PING Tisi Tec 14° Fairway Aldila 350 S

Cobra Aerojet Hybrid 19° KBS PGI S

PING iCrossover 22° Ping Tour 85 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Pro 5-G DG 105 S

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52° DG Spinner 115

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 58° DG Spinner 115

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='mx-20' timestamp='1437511655' post='11994458']
I hit moon balls with the Modus. Dynamic gold felt heavy. CFS was a nice balance between the two.
[/quote]

This is what I am afraid of. What is your swing speed approx? Did you try the XP 95 shaft?

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

Stay with your same color code

I have had communication from a Ping rep that works w colleges and developmental tours. I asked the blue vs black question. I have always been black dot. I asked if i have always been black dot will I be blue now.

He said stay w your same color code, or for me, stay w black.

Based on that communication and communication with local EW manager the blue will be the "stock" set sold in stores due to the frequency of blue dot requests and fittings.

Hope that helps. The confusion seems to be what is "standard". I don't know that there is a "standard" anymore except within each individual mfr. Gives more credence to a fitting to be sure.