2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Tourstage X-BLADE CB 4-P Irons -Stiff 110 F4 Recoil Shafts UTX Grips

T.Beau

Curious as to what the forum knows about these irons? you know? the usual stuff. am mostly interested about ball flight (shafts aside) and forgiveness. I am sure they will feel great. Have no idea what year they are. Assume they are Endo. There really wasnt much info available on the net about these. They have the variable tungsten weighting. Also what their value may be with the Recoil shafts. No face browning or dings. Just normal chatter. Thanks!

$_12.JPG

j33 460 9.5 ACCRA DyMatch 2.0 MT M4
Exotics cb1 13 Matrix Ozik
Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
j38cb's - 3-pw s300sl pro soft & j36pc GAT 95
j40 52,56 & Odyssey Metal-X #7H
average score = 75

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good solid performers. Ballfight depends a little on the shaft. Many come stock with nippons which are on the lighter side and launch higher. Generally though they launch like a players cb. ie. not too high like a gi iron.
All tourstage irons feel good and these look to have a little bulk behind the hitting area similar to the TS201's which were also tungstan weighted in the long irons. Tourstage has been doing this for quite a long time.
Headsize on these is on the smaller side of midsize. While quite user friendly most Tourstage cb's are reasonably compact. Perhaps the VIQ series would be the biggest.
Toustage cb's probably first got noticed in the mainstream US market with the Z101's which became a virtual cult model with enthusiasts. All those cb's that have followed are probably similar to those. A playable cb with good feel that is traditional in size and shape. Lofts are generally set around a 46 degree pw.
Value around the $250 to $350 mark depending on condition.

ok thx for the feedback. i bought them before i created the thread just out of curiosity..i think i made a fantastic buy. think the recoil shafts alone would be worth 250 as one time pulls. i;ll post a short review if anyone is interested...doesnt seem to be many of these sets out there in the wild...well they arent talked about much anyway,

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

[quote name='T.Beau' timestamp='1434071354' post='11735618']
ok thx for the feedback. i bought them before i created the thread just out of curiosity..i think i made a fantastic buy. think the recoil shafts alone would be worth 250 as one time pulls. i;ll post a short review if anyone is interested...doesnt seem to be many of these sets out there in the wild...well they arent talked about much anyway,
[/quote]
You'll like em for sure. They are not too uncommon, but not heaps of sets in the US available either. Plenty second hand in Japan though. There are quite a few iterations of the x blade and x blade cbs. Quite a few of the x blade models in more recent years were a shallow cavity or neo-blade and were not as demanding to play as earlier models.

Man nobody is doing these guys justice, i have the x blade cb 2008 with x 100 and they are in my top five for prettiest and most solid irons I have ever hit (I haven't everything but many). Seriously have turned down big offers from people after they hit them and felt how soft and solid they are, so easy to work the ball and long as hell. I love them and if you want to sell your set anytime I am a buyer all day. Want to get the 909 mc x blade which are beautiful blades but i think your model and my cbs are two of my favourites.

Nice clubs, please sell to me

[quote name='Kingcat990' timestamp='1434137057' post='11740384']
You sure those irons have enough bounce Beau?
[/quote]

i would say they will be fine. they've a wider sole making for more effective bounce

[quote name='Caerus`' timestamp='1434137374' post='11740412']
Man nobody is doing these guys justice, i have the x blade cb 2008 with x 100 and they are in my top five for prettiest and most solid irons I have ever hit (I haven't everything but many). Seriously have turned down big offers from people after they hit them and felt how soft and solid they are, so easy to work the ball and long as hell. I love them and if you want to sell your set anytime I am a buyer all day. Want to get the 909 mc x blade which are beautiful blades but i think your model and my cbs are two of my favourites.

Nice clubs, please sell to me
[/quote]

great to hear. i really wasnt in the market for new irons since i dig my j38cb's like a day off and also have j40dpc's, but could not pass these up at the price i paid. Looks like the j40dpc's will have to go.

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

Put it this way I have been offered 650 and 700 CAD for my xblade cb2008 and I only finally gave in to an offer of $1000 for the set. That says something but what really says something is the first thing i did when i got home was start searching frantically to find and probably will have to build and buy the exact same set, I will always keep a set of x blades. Seriously if you ever want to move these let me know. The 2008 cb is like the j40 cb but easier to hit, way more forgiving on thin shots, and longer when you get them right plus you can shape shots easier than you can with anything.

[quote name='Caerus`' timestamp='1434218646' post='11745108']
Put it this way I have been offered 650 and 700 CAD for my xblade cb2008 and I only finally gave in to an offer of $1000 for the set. That says something but what really says something is the first thing i did when i got home was start searching frantically to find and probably will have to build and buy the exact same set, I will always keep a set of x blades. Seriously if you ever want to move these let me know. The 2008 cb is like the j40 cb but easier to hit, way more forgiving on thin shots, and longer when you get them right plus you can shape shots easier than you can with anything.
[/quote]

will do. i will def PM you if i decide to move these. i;ve been very happily playing j38cb's, but couldnt pass these up. i didnt find the j40cb easy enough for me to reliably flush hit, the j40dpc's are just a little large headed and high launching, and the j38cb's are just right...i;m hoping that is where these x-blades will be

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

Man x-blades in my opinion are on a whole other level than the j40 and j38 both of which I have owned and really liked but your right the j40 cb is a non forgiving iron, almost tougher to hit than other mb blades I have tried. My 2008 cb's with x100's were so heavy and so solid, I would let people hit a shot with them and you can just see it in their faces that they have never hit irons quite that solid and soft before, J40 and j38 are both great irons but they are kind of like a more harder, harsher and less workable version of x blades. I love the J38 dpc amazing all around set of irons but your right the look isn't quite as sleek and traditional as I would like. Currently trying to figure out what my next set of x blades will be and was wondering which models of x blade are known to be the best. I am dying to get my hands on some heads or an actual full set of some 909's

Good luck with those,

Man x-blades in my opinion are on a whole other level than the j40 and j38 both of which I have owned and really liked but your right the j40 cb is a non forgiving iron, almost tougher to hit than other mb blades I have tried. My 2008 cb's with x100's were so heavy and so solid, I would let people hit a shot with them and you can just see it in their faces that they have never hit irons quite that solid and soft before, J40 and j38 are both great irons but they are kind of like a more harder, harsher and less workable version of x blades. I love the J38 dpc amazing all around set of irons but your right the look isn't quite as sleek and traditional as I would like. Currently trying to figure out what my next set of x blades will be and was wondering which models of x blade are known to be the best. I am dying to get my hands on some heads or an actual full set of some 909's

Good luck with those,

ya man, those j40cb's are a bit of an odd duck if you ask me. compact heads w. lots of offset given their type. then they combo'd them up with the dual pockets and you ended up w. a set of irons where the short irons have more offset than the long irons...wha????

if you figure out a heirarchy of x blades cb's, i;d sure like to know about it. also if you havent hit the particular x-blades i;ve got coming, i;d be happy to put up a little review. i;m thinking those irons w. those shafts are gonna be killer.

these x - blade cb's kinda look like the j38cb? x-blade cb2

post-1615-1151031292.jpg

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

[quote name='Caerus`' timestamp='1434341927' post='11752838']
no mine were the x blade cb 2008 and i loved them but turned down a bunch of offers and finally took one. I am going to buy a set of 905 cb right now actually have the invoice already, hope they are as good as the 2008 cb but i dont know about that, pretty high standard to live up to.
[/quote]

cb, cb2008, and 905cb all look like minor tweaks? let us know how you like your new irons...hope they work out great for you. i bet they will, depending in art on the shaft of course

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

Hey T, the reverse offset pattern from short to long irons is actually kinda not uncommon in jdm sets. IT definitely seems to go against logic here, but in reality someone like me can't miss long irons right unless a dead push, but I sure can loose them left a few different ways and I know that isn't a large segment, but I know you are a really good player, but I don't know your tendencies, but maybe the reverse offset is something you may like. Give it an open mind and see. Beautiful set and score by the way!

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1434467831' post='11761746']
Hey T, the reverse offset pattern from short to long irons is actually kinda not uncommon in jdm sets. IT definitely seems to go against logic here, but in reality someone like me can't miss long irons right unless a dead push, but I sure can loose them left a few different ways and I know that isn't a large segment, but I know you are a really good player, but I don't know your tendencies, but maybe the reverse offset is something you may like. Give it an open mind and see. Beautiful set and score by the way!
[/quote]

aye, thx for the props man!

big offset = not for me. i already hit the ball plenty high and where I live it's most always windy in the PM's when we play so often need to flight it down (even downwind at times). perhaps you are more of a low ball hitter. not that it matters but i;m more into enjoying the benefits of flighted gear. px flighted irons are great i think and these irons arriving in an hour or so seem to wanna keep the short irons flighted lower and long irons higher...think the Recoils do about the same thing as well...the same apex on all the irons is a beautiful thing (for me). diff saddles for diff butts aye?

I can see where JDM stuff might be prone to higher offset as they seem to set up their stuff to be higher launching in shafts as well

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

I think I didn't say it right...I hate offset...but jdm had this thing with more offset in higher irons and lower offset in long irons, which is opposite of anything off the rack here, meaning joe golfer is going to slice a 4 iron way worse than a 8. I thought that was the offset thing you were talking about.

Either way, jdm is a fun world, I think you will like it. Lots of cool Offerings and especially lots of little offset options...I

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1434478592' post='11762994']
I think I didn't say it right...I hate offset...but jdm had this thing with more offset in higher irons and lower offset in long irons, which is opposite of anything off the rack here, meaning joe golfer is going to slice a 4 iron way worse than a 8. I thought that was the offset thing you were talking about.

Either way, jdm is a fun world, I think you will like it. Lots of cool Offerings and especially lots of little offset options...I
[/quote]

no man..you said it fine. i just have trouble understanding why they would design more offset in the short irons and less in the longs. i hope these x-blades arent that way.

anyone have specs?

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

[quote name='Caerus`' timestamp='1434341927' post='11752838']
no mine were the x blade cb 2008 and i loved them but turned down a bunch of offers and finally took one. I am going to buy a set of 905 cb right now actually have the invoice already, hope they are as good as the 2008 cb but i dont know about that, pretty high standard to live up to.
[/quote]

The phonebooks are in!!!!! Remember that line from the Steve Martin movie? actually my x-blades came this day and i;ve already had them out on the course walking 9 hitting a bunch of diff shots w. them playing multiple balls....i can see why you dig them so much! they're special....there was a query in the equipment section asking to compare b stone stuff to tour stage..i may put up a little review there....you;re welcome to do same. appreciated your feedback

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

[quote name='T.Beau' timestamp='1434480117' post='11763180']

[/quote]

no man..you said it fine. i just have trouble understanding why they would design more offset in the short irons and less in the longs. i hope these x-blades arent that way.

anyone have specs?
[/quote]

Cool.

I don't, but I have read it a lot on JDM stuff, so I hope the set works out in your favor. Ok, yeah as much as I hate offset, for whatever reason, a 9 iron being offset is less an issue for me than a 5 iron, probably because when addressing with a 9 I am not worried about missing anything and with a 5 I am highly concerned about what it to the left.... hahaha

[/quote]

I've never seen a set of irons with more offset in the short irons than long. What models are like this? Bonus points for links to specs.

JDM specs don't typically list offset, it's face progression. Opposite numbers. Higher is less offset than lower.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1434506640' post='11766106']

[/quote]

I've never seen a set of irons with more offset in the short irons than long. What models are like this? Bonus points for links to specs.

JDM specs don't typically list offset, it's face progression. Opposite numbers. Higher is less offset than lower.
[/quote]
This practice was very common with JDM irons and also was not unknown in blade sets which are not JDM but were made in the 80's or there about. I have a set of Australian made PGF Aristocrat blades which a very prominently reverse offset.

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you haven't seen it or experienced it, then it probably doesn't exist and is wrong. I would take a picture of the JDM set I own that does this, but I couldn't be concerned less with "bonus points" from you and of course I don't want the flash photography to cause any damage to the satin nickel, you know how I only own "beauty queen" sets.

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1434539288' post='11767588']
[/quote]

If you haven't seen it or experienced it, then it probably doesn't exist and is wrong. I would take a picture of the JDM set I own that does this, but I couldn't be concerned less with "bonus points" from you and of course I don't want the flash photography to cause any damage to the satin nickel, you know how I only own "beauty queen" sets.
[/quote]

Reverse offset is extraordinarily rare in a set of irons. Please list the model and year of manufacture (if known) of such irons that have this feature. I've personally never seen such a set of clubs, nor seen any published specs depicting this either. Not saying there has never been a set with reverse offset, but I'll tell you it's rare to the point of being an anomaly, and NO, the Japanese don't typically build irons this way.

A good way to judge iron offset is to lay the club face down on a table. Then lift the toe of the iron until the leading edge is parallel to the table and the hosel is resting flat. The offset is the distance from the table top to the parallel leading edge. Judging offset visually by looking at the club in the playing position is not a good method since most people perceive offset <2.5mm as "zero offset".

[quote name='T.Beau' timestamp='1434550028' post='11768434']
Face progression in my set goes from 3.25 in the long irons to 4.25 in the PW
[/quote]

Many people read these face progression numbers and wrongly interpret them as offset. Face progression is a measurement from the centerline of the shaft to the leading edge. The greater the number the more forward the leading edge is. In this case the PW face is more forward than the long irons, so in effect, the long irons have 1mm more offset than the PW.

To translate face progression into offset the diameter of the hosel would have to be known. A common diameter is 13mm, so half that is 6.5.

PW Face progression = 4.25mm, hosel radius = 6.5mm, offset = 2.25mm
5i Face progression = 3.25mm, hosel radius = 6.5mm, offset = 3.25mm

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Caerus`' timestamp='1434519560' post='11767120']
My 905 cb x-blades should be on their way tomorrow! they have a raw finish which looks great.
[/quote]

coolio! let us know how you like them...and post pics of the finish if you like.

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75