2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

CSagan's stop sliding log

CSagan

Great changes. Good luck. Still hoping I can get down there one day, would like to swing on the gears system.

Thanks. It's fun stuff. Where do you live?

It's about a 5 hour drive for me, but I have a friend that lives there. Talked about doing a trip down last year.

Not too bad. Lemme know if you come down. I'll come up to the facility. There's a par 3 course...3 practice holes and a ton of Short game areas.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had another good session with Shaun today. I was hitting it pretty good but not quite getting my shoulder at least back to start position from face on view. Almost all the PGA guys bust through that shoulder start line and I just couldn't get there...I could get barely back to it but it was too contrived. We put on the gears suit and hit some balls and we noticed I was losing the angle between my left shirt seam/left femur (at the top of the swing from DTL) on the downswing. He put up Jonas Blixt's gears model and could see his was increasing on the downwing. So we worked on that for the rest of session and it cleaned up a lot of problems I have been having. Didn't have to think about leg work or getting left anymore. Almost like cheating. Just gotta keep grinding. Shaun will send me the gears pics tomorrow.

Here's a video from today.

https://www.instagra.../p/BO0ml8ZgCHH/

Pause this one at top and you can see angle I'm talking about. Left shirt seam and left femur..felt like I was maintaining that angle longer on downswing.

[media=]

[/media]

disclaimer: that feel may wreck your swing..use at own risk :P

On the second swing in the "Swallowing Drill" (sic) video, your backswing gets a bit across the line at the top...is that a tendency you've had, or was that just a function of the drill?

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Your swing is looking so good in that IG vid! Nice work

Can you clarify what angle you're talking about with the shirt seam/femur? It seems like you're describing what a lot of people call spine angle, and losing that angle = early extension, is that what you mean?

Then in the FO view, are you meaning you were trying to get your left shoulder to move towards the target in the downswing, basically into that line that Shaun drew on the IG vid?

Just want to be sure I'm understanding what you're doing, thanks!

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

On the second swing in the "Swallowing Drill" (sic) video, your backswing gets a bit across the line at the top...is that a tendency you've had, or was that just a function of the drill?

I was just trying to stay wide on the backswing and I think it did that. If I get narrow and try and shallow I'll do it by goat humping. (early extension).

Your swing is looking so good in that IG vid! Nice work

Can you clarify what angle you're talking about with the shirt seam/femur? It seems like you're describing what a lot of people call spine angle, and losing that angle = early extension, is that what you mean?

Then in the FO view, are you meaning you were trying to get your left shoulder to move towards the target in the downswing, basically into that line that Shaun drew on the IG vid?

Just want to be sure I'm understanding what you're doing, thanks!

Yeah I'm maintaining that angle better. But you know that its just not maintaining that forward bend at address. On the downswing I feel like I maintain the left side bend longer..Keeping left shoulder closer to left thigh in transition...and since I've always had ton of right tilt back away from the target that part comes naturally. Really weird thing to try and translate in words just like a lot of things golf.

FO VIew yes, trying to bust through that line with my left shoulder. I think Spieth does it the most I've seen. But almost every good golfer does it. I'm sure you do it just fine. You're pretty dang solid.

[media=]

[/media]

Look at this sicko. See how he gets more left side bend on start of downswing..Left shoulder closer to left thigh. That feel.

[media=]

[/media]

I gotta make sure and come back to these feels when needed.

Thanks for clarifying, makes sense!

Also, DJ has such a ridiculous move....I love those super slo-mo's of him. No idea how he pulls that off, but it's fun to watch!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

[media=]

[/media]

Lexi is more eye pleasing than DJ.

The technical term is pivot flexion/extension.

A more palatable term is squatting and extending.

Or perhaps a more instinctive term is crouching and jumping.

Perhaps, if we intend to jump like Lexi, then we naturally will flex/squat/crouch first and have the desired torso/left thigh angle that CSagan mentioned.

But of course we need not jump as high as Lexi nor Bubba.

I definitely am learning from the thread, thanks to CSagan.

[media=]

[/media]

Perhaps, if we intend to jump like Lexi, then we naturally will flex/squat/crouch first and have the desired torso/left thigh angle that CSagan mentioned.

one of the worst swings from the ladies.

if you need to shift your body in 3 different directions your timing and such will be off daily even with one swing to the next.

its as bad as it gets out there on the tour.

she could change and be longer and more accurate.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

Had another good session with Shaun today. I was hitting it pretty good but not quite getting my shoulder at least back to start position from face on view. Almost all the PGA guys bust through that shoulder start line and I just couldn't get there...I could get barely back to it but it was too contrived. We put on the gears suit and hit some balls and we noticed I was losing the angle between my left shirt seam/left femur (at the top of the swing from DTL) on the downswing. He put up Jonas Blixt's gears model and could see his was increasing on the downwing. So we worked on that for the rest of session and it cleaned up a lot of problems I have been having. Didn't have to think about leg work or getting left anymore. Almost like cheating. Just gotta keep grinding. Shaun will send me the gears pics tomorrow.

dude with a swing like that playing off 6 your chipping & putting must suck! :P :lol:

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

dude with a swing like that playing off 6 your chipping & putting must suck! :P :lol:

Haha. I've been a lot better and a lot worse. That swing is in a controlled environment...I don't own it yet. Lot of work to take it to the course without thinking about it.

I've been hacking due to being wild with the driver. Looking to change all that.

[media=]

[/media]

one of the worst swings from the ladies.

if you need to shift your body in 3 different directions your timing and such will be off daily even with one swing to the next.

its as bad as it gets out there on the tour.

she could change and be longer and more accurate.

She is already a top-tiered LPGA professional!!

Her unique swing was acquired from having to compete with the brothers in length since very young.

Can you just focus on the essence?

CSagan, can you clarify for me how you feel like you keep your left shoulder down longer and moving towards the target without getting an actual lateral shift? Particularly with your head? My head wants to go with it when I try that

So my head would back away from target on downswing. With that feel it keeps my head in place. So it's an exaggeration feel for me and is awful for someone that doesn't have right bend from like right ribcage to right armpit.

You have to get the right bend eventually or your head will end up towards target too much.

Look at this sicko. See how he gets more left side bend on start of downswing..Left shoulder closer to left thigh. That feel.

[media=]

[/media]

I gotta make sure and come back to these feels when needed.

Thanks for clarifying, makes sense!

Also, DJ has such a ridiculous move....I love those super slo-mo's of him. No idea how he pulls that off, but it's fun to watch!

He's gumby man; just a freak flexible athlete! Of all of his ballstriking talents, I most enjoy watching him flight wedges.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Took last two days off from hitting balls...weather has been cold and have been busy. Have been doing some mirror work though...working on the body movement.

Asked Shaun the other day to send me the gears before/afters explaining some of the numbers. Here's the screenshots if anyone is interested.

Really crazy looking at some of the tour pros spine angles being a couple degrees towards the target at p6 and just barely getting some tilt just before impact (with irons). Feels like you're going to tip over towards target in transition trying to get where they are, but I'm used to being hung back immediately I guess that explains it.

The sway is lateral movement with pelvis..and thrust is towards ball with pelvis. The left hip angle is really what we were focusing on..getting left shoulder down in transition/downswing helped that.

Ok one month later since I've started working with Shaun again. I think I've had 5 lessons and practiced a decent amount and I'm happy with the direction the ball is flying haha. I went to him and really wanted to clean up my pivot bc I knew it was ugly and was causing me to hit my driver 150 yards right when I really yanked on the handle and slid my hips.

Look at the picture on the wall behind me and where my head is. That's how much I was hanging back and I would hit thin shots all the time and it would drive me nuts. I also had to have a ton of shaft lean at impact to hit it anywhere near the right trajectory. All my friends would always tell me you're just not getting to your left side. So I would try harder to get there...making the slide worse. Have to go down on downswing...then push off. Its always the opposite of what you think.

This is the move that fixed it mainly. Getting more pressure going down first before going towards target. You can see my pressure is 56% left and my center of pressure (indicated by the little ball on the tracer line) is slightly left as well. The one on the right the pressure looked close to the same but my COP was towards my back foot. You can also see how much lower my head is on the left from this motion.

So things we worked on.

First was wider stance. He likes to see a little wider for taller guys...felt more comfortable as well.

Then we just worked and worked on getting me to move my body correctly. It started with getting my hips loaded good on the backswing (right hip higher than left) it kinda felt a little stacky but my pressure was more on my back foot. For transition I would get my left shoulder low/squat more/get more left side bend..those were some of the feels we used...all trying to accomplish the same thing. From there I would just try and get my shirt buttons to get to the ball first then just finish in a nice standing position. I was trying to extend up too hard but once we got it down I just felt like I was chillin standing up in the follow through.

Things I need to work on still:

Staying wider going back and down (especially with driver...I get a little narrow at top, add that with the hip slide and handle pull and its bad)

Not pulling on handle (using GG's no throw freezers for this)

Checkpoints for my swing:

Getting left shoulder back to start position on downswing or further towards target

Making sure right knee isn't kicking in and giving me the Elvis legs

Keeping or increasing side bend (getting rid of a little early extension)

Feels: (used one at a time)

Wider stance

Not strangling club in transition

Left shoulder closer to left thigh on downswing

Shirt buttons beat club to the ball

Keeping width throughout swing

I have to go back to Vegas for a month so I won't be able to have anymore lessons for a while. Will see if I can monitor it on my own and play some good golf.

Awesome stuff, CSagan! Thank you for sharing.

Staying wider going back and down (especially with driver...I get a little narrow at top, add that with the hip slide and handle pull and its bad)

That is one of the things I need to work on, too. I don't feel like I'm pulling down as much as I used to, but my R arm still gets a little narrow.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

That is one of the things I need to work on, too. I don't feel like I'm pulling down as much as I used to, but my R arm still gets a little narrow.

Thanks Q. Yeah that's the toughy. First time I saw Dan he had me keeping the right arm straight and I was hitting the driver so good...It just evolved into narrow and yanky..Due to my lack of intelligence.

Lemme know if you find the magic bullet.

really is some fantastic progress in such a short period, great work

Thanks Q. Yeah that's the toughy. First time I saw Dan he had me keeping the right arm straight and I was hitting the driver so good...It just evolved into narrow and yanky..Due to my lack of intelligence.

Lemme know if you find the magic bullet.

get some cardboard and wrap it around your elbow and get someone to tape it tight, forces your arm straight, obviously can't swing like it but could be a good aid to help get the feel of right shoulder staying straighter for longer?

Played yesterday in Vegas. Couldn't hit balls beforehand and struggled with the old demons. Yanking on handle and sliding hips just wrecks me. Made money in our wolf game tho...so I have that.

Hit two large buckets today at Taylormade. Was hitting off the mats and my stall just happened to have the longest rubber tee I've seen there. So after doing half a bucket of chip 9 irons working on mechanics and the rest of the bucket hitting short irons, I decided to whip out the driver on the second bucket. Watching that Dalquist/Waite/Chamblee/and even Rory debate on twitter made me wanna try hitting up on it. How hard can it be...I've watched all the required GGswingtips videos right? Spray city. Oh wait..need path more right..hit a couple bombs then start hitting snappers. Anyways, I wont be messing with that again until I get my own dang swing in order.

Going to try and play Sunday with Robrey and get some rounds in with DrewBaller21 soon too.

Played yesterday in Vegas. Couldn't hit balls beforehand and struggled with the old demons. Yanking on handle and sliding hips just wrecks me. Made money in our wolf game tho...so I have that.

Hit two large buckets today at Taylormade. Was hitting off the mats and my stall just happened to have the longest rubber tee I've seen there. So after doing half a bucket of chip 9 irons working on mechanics and the rest of the bucket hitting short irons, I decided to whip out the driver on the second bucket. Watching that Dalquist/Waite/Chamblee/and even Rory debate on twitter made me wanna try hitting up on it. How hard can it be...I've watched all the required GGswingtips videos right? Spray city. Oh wait..need path more right..hit a couple bombs then start hitting snappers. Anyways, I wont be messing with that again until I get my own dang swing in order.

Going to try and play Sunday with Robrey and get some rounds in with DrewBaller21 soon too.

How 'bout Rory's twitter game?! Haha that cracked me up.

Excited to get out with ya soon! I've done that whole hitting up routine too, your experience sounds pretty spot on to mine lol. Hit a few DEEP and then the lefts show up. No bueno.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I'm about a week or so in to feeling across the line at the top. The goal with that is to have plenty of room to let club shallow coming down. I have poor mobility in my shoulders to begin with so I'll never be able to get real shallow. Basically feels like reverse forearm rotation going back then I just unwind with the move Shaun has me doing. I don't know if he'll like it but I've picked up some speed doing it this way.

I think it was like a week ago I was hitting 8 irons at the range about 165-170...then tried the crossed up move and hit the first one 185. I was like whoa...thats Golfwrx long! So I've continued on with it with great results. Playing tomorrow with some wrx'ers (Hopefully Drew gets the pass!) so will try and get some video and see if I'm actually doing what I feel like.

Was at Taylormade center today and they had demo day going on. Got to hit the 2017 m1's and m2's. I liked the 440 M1 better than M2. The M2 head looked too big and felt a little lighter to me. I didn't hit a ton of shafts but liked the Tensei black 70x shaft for driver and the stock aldila 70x shaft felt pretty good in 3 wood..but maybe a hair light. Might set up an actual fitting to hit some more shafts in the future, didn't want to hog the stall for others..but definitely going M1 440 head and M1 for 3 wood.

The 3 wood is hottttt. Maybe too hot.

Driver: My old speed was around 112-113/170 ballspeed before trying crossed up move. Fastest of 124/180 with crossed up feeling. Ty GG for speed tips!

Sorry for braggy pics..just happy with speed improvements.

Ok so I'm about a week or so in to feeling across the line at the top. The goal with that is to have plenty of room to let club shallow coming down. I have poor mobility in my shoulders to begin with so I'll never be able to get real shallow. Basically feels like reverse forearm rotation going back then I just unwind with the move Shaun has me doing. I don't know if he'll like it but I've picked up some speed doing it this way.

I think it was like a week ago I was hitting 8 irons at the range about 165-170...then tried the crossed up move and hit the first one 185. I was like whoa...thats Golfwrx long! So I've continued on with it with great results. Playing tomorrow with some wrx'ers (Hopefully Drew gets the pass!) so will try and get some video and see if I'm actually doing what I feel like.

Was at Taylormade center today and they had demo day going on. Got to hit the 2017 m1's and m2's. I liked the 440 M1 better than M2. The M2 head looked too big and felt a little lighter to me. I didn't hit a ton of shafts but liked the Tensei black 70x shaft for driver and the stock aldila 70x shaft felt pretty good in 3 wood..but maybe a hair light. Might set up an actual fitting to hit some more shafts in the future, didn't want to hog the stall for others..but definitely going M1 440 head and M1 for 3 wood.

The 3 wood is hottttt. Maybe too hot.

Driver: My old speed was around 112-113/170 ballspeed before trying crossed up move. Fastest of 124/180 with crossed up feeling. Ty GG for speed tips!

Sorry for braggy pics..just happy with speed improvements.

that's some interesting dispersion! were you trying to hit different shapes?

I think I hit about 10 balls. The other 100 were there from prior people trying out stuff. I can spray it but not that bad haha.

haha I was going to say, some real low left snipes in there!