2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

https://www.bobbygraceputters.com/product-page/bruces-magic-side-saddle-long

Any of you other psychopaths order one of these?  Or am I the only one?

Edit - I guess I technically didn't order it, I traded in 2 other mint BG putters for it.  Even I don't need 4 F22 putters...

Edited by J_Tizzle
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

2 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

Edit - I guess I technically didn't order it, I traded in 2 other mint BG putters for it.  Even I don't need 4 F22 putters...

Haha. Do you have it in hand yet. I like the looks of that. 

25 minutes ago, brentflog said:

Haha. Do you have it in hand yet. I like the looks of that. 

Not yet, I just got my trade ins shipped today, so based on my previous experiences with Bobby I might get the putter sometime in the next 3-6 months, lol.  

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

11 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

It’s a great looking putter, and I was tempted, but decided to pass.  For now…

In addition to already having not only an F22 but two other BGs (not counting the one I gave away!) I’ve got three LAB putters, and they have a new model coming out.  The Bruce looks in the picture like it might not have the same sole as the F22, and if that’s the case, it would be difficult to match the LAB DF if the putter was used with the sole perfectly flat.  

I’ll look forward to hearing your thoughts when you have it in hand.

45 minutes ago, bluedot said:

In addition to already having not only an F22 but two other BGs (not counting the one I gave away!) I’ve got three LAB putters, and they have a new model coming out.  The Bruce looks in the picture like it might not have the same sole as the F22, and if that’s the case, it would be difficult to match the LAB DF if the putter was used with the sole perfectly flat.  

Speaking of the new  DF putter. This really interests me. The massive size I the df 2.1 kept me from getting it. It’s the main reason I like the f18 over the f22. 

IMG_6560.jpeg

Edited by brentflog

38 minutes ago, brentflog said:

Speaking of the new  DF putter. This really interests me. The massive size I the df 2.1 kept me from getting it. It’s the main reason I like the f18 over the f22. 

IMG_6560.jpeg

I think there is a great chance, though not to a certainty, that I’ll order one of these when they become available in a broomstick.

I must say, though, that I ordered a Mezz XL last year, and it just isn’t close to the DF in terms of forgiveness/MOI, and the LAB guy posted to that effect on one of the other threads.  It is a much more “normal” looking putter for sure, but that’s its ONLY advantage over the DF.  This one could be the same, I fear, so it’s good that I’ll be able to see some reviews before it’s available in a broomstick.  The Mezz XL is a pretty pricey experiment to be sitting in the hall closet, and there’s not much need to further add to my absurd inventory or face on putters at that price.

The good news for us about the DF is that most people now have not only at least seen a DF before, but that they are so mesmerized by the way we are putting that they hardly notice the putter we’re using.  

2 hours ago, bluedot said:

Yeah, I wasn't going to order one but decided if he'd take a trade in on a F22 and the brick prototype he's currently selling.  The two I traded with him were essentially new so he could sell them no problem, so probably a good deal for him, and those were the two models I used the least so I figured what the hell.

The sole is a bit of a concern for sure, but we'll see whenever it arrives.  The face of the putter doesn't look as wide as a F22 (looks like there is more metal on the sides of the insert on the F22) but its hard to tell.

7 minutes ago, J_Tizzle said:

Yeah, I wasn't going to order one but decided if he'd take a trade in on a F22 and the brick prototype he's currently selling.  The two I traded with him were essentially new so he could sell them no problem, so probably a good deal for him, and those were the two models I used the least so I figured what the hell.

The sole is a bit of a concern for sure, but we'll see whenever it arrives.  The face of the putter doesn't look as wide as a F22 (looks like there is more metal on the sides of the insert on the F22) but its hard to tell.

I’m not a big believer in the necessity of holding the putter more vertically anyway; when a 79* putter is soled, it puts my left elbow firmly against my side, and the stroke feels very “one-handed”.  And I feel like it also helps me to set up exactly the same every time, whereas with my F22, it is so effective in a more vertical position that I think sometimes I get sloppy with my setup and ball position.

It’s just that IF I’m going to use a putter that is soled, it’s hard for me to imagine that it’ll improve on the LAB DF.  But as my hall closet proves, I’m willing to adjust my thinking on this, so I’ll await your review of the Bruce.

14 minutes ago, bluedot said:

I’m not a big believer in the necessity of holding the putter more vertically anyway; when a 79* putter is soled, it puts my left elbow firmly against my side, and the stroke feels very “one-handed”.  And I feel like it also helps me to set up exactly the same every time, whereas with my F22, it is so effective in a more vertical position that I think sometimes I get sloppy with my setup and ball position.

It’s just that IF I’m going to use a putter that is soled, it’s hard for me to imagine that it’ll improve on the LAB DF.  But as my hall closet proves, I’m willing to adjust my thinking on this, so I’ll await your review of the Bruce.

Yep thats totally fair.  I'm more of a more vertical holder for side saddling so like the Juan Putt and the DFs never worked as well for me compared to the various BG putters.

I'll make sure to give everyone an update and comparisons when it arrives!

1 hour ago, bluedot said:

I think there is a great chance, though not to a certainty, that I’ll order one of these when they become available in a broomstick.

I must say, though, that I ordered a Mezz XL last year, and it just isn’t close to the DF in terms of forgiveness/MOI, and the LAB guy posted to that effect on one of the other threads.  It is a much more “normal” looking putter for sure, but that’s its ONLY advantage over the DF.  This one could be the same, I fear, so it’s good that I’ll be able to see some reviews before it’s available in a broomstick.  The Mezz XL is a pretty pricey experiment to be sitting in the hall closet, and there’s not much need to further add to my absurd inventory or face on putters at that price.

The good news for us about the DF is that most people now have not only at least seen a DF before, but that they are so mesmerized by the way we are putting that they hardly notice the putter we’re using.  

You are definitely going to buy one. 😂😂

I’d be willing to buy your mezz xl to help combat your addiction and enable mine. 

Just now, brentflog said:

You are definitely going to buy one. 😂😂

I’d be willing to buy your mezz xl to help combat your addiction and enable mine. 

You are both kind, and very self-aware😁

I’m not going to sell any of my inventory; my plan is to leave the contents of the hall closet for my wife after I’m gone to figure out what the hell I was doing.  

In all seriousness, from time to time I’ll have a buddy ask about face on; the Mezz XL is a good one to lend, as is the JuanPutt.  No way am I lending the F22 or the DF; I don’t even like people touching those!

1 hour ago, bluedot said:

I agree with this. Holding at 90 degrees hasn’t been as good as soling the putter for me. I don’t feel confident that I have the putter lined up(the line always looks like it is pointed right) and when my top hand is going across my body I find it harder to keep my wrist stable and not flex or extend. Both can work though and are likely better for most than conventional putting if they are willing to put the work in

2 minutes ago, bluedot said:

You are both kind, and very self-aware😁

I’m not going to sell any of my inventory; my plan is to leave the contents of the hall closet for my wife after I’m gone to figure out what the hell I was doing.  

In all seriousness, from time to time I’ll have a buddy ask about face on; the Mezz XL is a good one to lend, as is the JuanPutt.  No way am I lending the F22 or the DF; I don’t even like people touching those!

Hope you live a long time but I want to be notified about that garage sale. 

maybe leave a note in the closet that says, “honey here is a list of names to contact on golfwrx in the event of my death. You won’t be able to believe how much these morons will be willing to pay for these putters”

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, brentflog said:

Hope you live a long time but I want to be notified about that garage sale. 

maybe leave a note in the closet that says, “honey here is a list of names to contact on golfwrx in the event of my death. You won’t be able to believe how much these morons will be willing to pay for these putters”

Done!

I have always kept my left arm well out from my body in side-saddle for fear of violating the anchor rule. But the video from https://facetheholegolf.com/ shows the elbow firmly pressed against the body, and bluedot just wrote that his set-up is likewise. Just where does the forearm start? When I set up like this, my elbow is the main contact, but a little of the arm below the elbow is also pressed (I won't say anchored). My main "mechanical" flaw in side-saddle is moving the left hand back during the backstroke, so I would like to be able to stop that.

3 hours ago, Henry C. said:

I have always kept my left arm well out from my body in side-saddle for fear of violating the anchor rule. But the video from https://facetheholegolf.com/ shows the elbow firmly pressed against the body, and bluedot just wrote that his set-up is likewise. Just where does the forearm start? When I set up like this, my elbow is the main contact, but a little of the arm below the elbow is also pressed (I won't say anchored). My main "mechanical" flaw in side-saddle is moving the left hand back during the backstroke, so I would like to be able to stop that.

I won’t attempt to answer the question of where the forearm starts, but I’m confident that if your elbow is pressed into your side and the putter is soled and the ball is ahead of your front foot, you can’t be violating the anchoring rule.  And fwiw, in almost 9 years and probably 150 tournaments at the club and state levels, I’ve never had anyone even question whether or not I was anchoring, including rules officials.

You probably already know this, but Randy Haag says that the top hand moving is THE biggest thing that can go wrong with face on putting.  I agree with him, at least in the sense that if you’re going to take full advantage of putting one-handed, the top hand MUST stay still and simply be a fulcrum.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2024 at 10:00 AM, J_Tizzle said:

Running this one back, thread has been too quiet!

Any feedback regarding the brick on a stick prototype? I’m only asking because it’s the lowest cost option on his site right now and I am pretty….frugal. 

I have been putting 4 to 12 footers like crazy on my Big Moss all winter with an old TearDrop broomstick that I cut down to 41”. That was a bit of a mistake, I could use an extra inch but I want to be sure before I go cut a perfectly good grip off to (re)extend it. After some time to get comfortable I am now center cutting putt after putt but I would like to stand up a bit taller. 

Direction / intended line is so consistent that I have to beware, as we all know, golf is not played on a home office Big Moss! Really need to be careful on speed control and not get caught up hammering them home with too much pace. Overall I am optimistic that I can commit to this method this year. It seems to work nicely for my adaptive play and L arm limitations. 

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

6 minutes ago, mshills said:

Running this one back, thread has been too quiet!

Any feedback regarding the brick on a stick prototype? I’m only asking because it’s the lowest cost option on his site right now and I am pretty….frugal. 

I have been putting 4 to 12 footers like crazy on my Big Moss all winter with an old TearDrop broomstick that I cut down to 41”. That was a bit of a mistake, I could use an extra inch but I want to be sure before I go cut a perfectly good grip off to (re)extend it. After some time to get comfortable I am now center cutting putt after putt but I would like to stand up a bit taller. 

Direction / intended line is so consistent that I have to beware, as we all know, golf is not played on a home office Big Moss! Really need to be careful on speed control and not get caught up hammering them home with too much pace. Overall I am optimistic that I can commit to this method this year. It seems to work nicely for my adaptive play and L arm limitations. 

I'll admit, I ended up trading this and a brand new F22 into BG for one of those new prototypes he has listed on his website (and I'm still waiting for that thing to show up, we're on week 4ish at this point...).  

I'll admit, the best thing about the BG putters honestly is the insert, it makes the ball just DIG and roll very very straight.  So I wasn't a big fan of the "brick" prototype.  It is a fine stepping stone, but honestly, I'd bite the bullet and pay the extra for one of the F22s, as to me, its the best side saddle option and I mean when you're dropping $400 on a putter, whats $550, lol.  

Thats honestly how I started side saddle putting.  I had a long putter, took it out one day and it was immediately better than a short putter, so over the winter I just committed and bought a BG "let's face it" prototype off eBay for fairly decent price and just hammered 4ft putts all winter long while working from home.  Never looked back.  I typically only practice my speed as I rarely have to worry about line just due to the process of side saddle putting.  

Edited by J_Tizzle
  • Thanks 1

Mishills, You can easily blow the grip off and reinstall. This is especially true with a split grip. Most of my putters have extensions since I have trouble making up my mind.

Regarding the prototype, I bought one and went for the expensive shaft. It was not bad but I found it a bit hard to aim due to the square shape of the overall head. I pulled the shaft and put it in another putter.

Currently I am using a Honu. This is not a long putter but I had them make the head (it is bamboo) and drill it to 79 degrees. I installed the BG shaft from the prototype. Pretty happy with the results. Turned out to be the most expensive putter I have when the shaft price is factored in.

18 hours ago, Horseshoe2 said:

Mishills, You can easily blow the grip off and reinstall. This is especially true with a split grip. Most of my putters have extensions since I have trouble making up my mind.

Regarding the prototype, I bought one and went for the expensive shaft. It was not bad but I found it a bit hard to aim due to the square shape of the overall head. I pulled the shaft and put it in another putter.

Currently I am using a Honu. This is not a long putter but I had them make the head (it is bamboo) and drill it to 79 degrees. I installed the BG shaft from the prototype. Pretty happy with the results. Turned out to be the most expensive putter I have when the shaft price is factored in.

Thanks. I’m going to stick with the Teardrop for now. Might go to the F22 if I settle in and really get comfortable putting this way when it matters. My observation so far is the Teardrop puts a great roll on the ball, especially if I don’t get it too far forward. 

Regarding the grip, I could definitely blow off the top of the split grip, but not the bottom, and I need to move that piece up. It’s no big deal to buy a new grip, which is what I’ll end up doing when I’m sure I need the extension. 

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

• 2 weeks later...

I guess Bobby Grace probably looks at this thread, because as soon as I posted my putter arrived a few days later :).  The Bruce's Magic looks absolutely sick in all honesty, probably one of the best looking side saddle offerings he's put out in a while.  Just from the 6ft test in the basement, it feels like it might be a TINY bit light compared to the F22, but a much more user friendly looking package.  Good thing lead tape is cheap.  I'm going to take it out tomorrow and give it a whirl and see if it has staying power, but initial tests/thoughts are positive.  

3 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

I guess Bobby Grace probably looks at this thread, because as soon as I posted my putter arrived a few days later :).  The Bruce's Magic looks absolutely sick in all honesty, probably one of the best looking side saddle offerings he's put out in a while.  Just from the 6ft test in the basement, it feels like it might be a TINY bit light compared to the F22, but a much more user friendly looking package.  Good thing lead tape is cheap.  I'm going to take it out tomorrow and give it a whirl and see if it has staying power, but initial tests/thoughts are positive.  

Thanks for that. I’m very close to pulling the trigger on this putter. 

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

4 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

Is that thing face balanced or toe hanging?  

18 hours ago, mshills said:

Thanks for that. I’m very close to pulling the trigger on this putter. 

If you are let me know.  I played with it today and didn't love it compared to a F22.

It seems like it would be excellent long putter in all honesty, but still not sure its going to kick out the current putter.

Long time lurker, 1st time poster!

I’ve been putting side saddle for about a year, and made the leap to purchase a Bobby Grace F22 with the Stability Tour @ 39”.

I received the putter today, and has some black residue where the stability shaft meets the steel. (Picture attached)

Has anyone ever run into this with their F22 and any recommendations to removing. Thanks everyone 

CAE1C415-EE43-4364-BA69-E926F96F9369.jpeg

@TriadGolfer Have not encountered that, but I’d try Goo Gone or a Magic Eraser. 

I now have an F22 en route to me. 🙂 Have been told many times it is the standard for face on putting. I’ve had good success with a relic Teardrop that is also 1” too short, and I am all in on the method as if anything, it uses my physical limitation versus highlighting it. 

Not sure if the new stick will get me into the US Adaptive Open, but I think it will help me make a respectable showing.

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Hey chaps. Did you see Randy Haag has moved away from sidle saddle putting and has gone to the Adam Scott model. I find it interesting. Apparently he started to really struggle with sidesaddle. 

At the end of the day you’ve got to do what works for you. I know right now, I could never move away from this method. It’s the only thing that suits my eye. 

one question though chaps. I have I confess started to miss more than usual and I’m flipping from holding the f22 slightly less than vertical to holding it so the head is “correctly flat on the green” (if that makes sense, I.e. I guess holding it at 80 degrees ish)

how vertical are you guys holding it? Would really appreciate your current form on this and any views you have.  Thanks. 

Matt

1 hour ago, CanPuttWillPutt2 said:

Hey chaps. Did you see Randy Haag has moved away from sidle saddle putting and has gone to the Adam Scott model. I find it interesting. Apparently he started to really struggle with sidesaddle. 

At the end of the day you’ve got to do what works for you. I know right now, I could never move away from this method. It’s the only thing that suits my eye. 

one question though chaps. I have I confess started to miss more than usual and I’m flipping from holding the f22 slightly less than vertical to holding it so the head is “correctly flat on the green” (if that makes sense, I.e. I guess holding it at 80 degrees ish)

how vertical are you guys holding it? Would really appreciate your current form on this and any views you have.  Thanks. 

Matt

This is a very individual question, I think.  

The biggest advantage of the F22 is the ability to hold it more vertically without losing much MOI/sweet spot.  The biggest disadvantage of the F22, IMO, is that same thing; I can set up pretty much anyway and still get a solid strike.  But that means that I’m not necessarily making the same stroke because my arms aren’t in the same place on every putt.  

When I use the DF, which pretty much MUST be soled, I think I end up in exactly the same setup regardless of the length of the putt.  

• Thanks 1