side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

I recently had my first putting lesson as a side-saddler with a top-flight pro (Tom Ream of Prestonwood CC in NC). After tracking my stroke on a SAM putting lab, he recommended that I completely sole the putter (F22) and then step-into my stance, with the grip pointed at my belt buckle. This gives me a more consistent set-up than previously and has resulted in fewer pulled putts (my major problem) and pushes. I am going to stop fiddling around with a more vertical shaft based on this advice. He also felt that my swing path is more straight back/through using a quick stroke, as opposed to the slow stroke I used. Finally, and this was a bit of a surprise to me, he wants me to draw a prominent line on the ball to aid in setting up. I thought side-saddlers didn't benefit from this as much as conventional putters, but apparently my set-up was so inconsistent I need a "cheater-line." I have had only a few rounds since the lesson and while I haven't sunk a ton of putts, I am starting them on-line more often.

6 minutes ago, Henry C. said:

I recently had my first putting lesson as a side-saddler with a top-flight pro (Tom Ream of Prestonwood CC in NC). After tracking my stroke on a SAM putting lab, he recommended that I completely sole the putter (F22) and then step-into my stance, with the grip pointed at my belt buckle. This gives me a more consistent set-up than previously and has resulted in fewer pulled putts (my major problem) and pushes. I am going to stop fiddling around with a more vertical shaft based on this advice. He also felt that my swing path is more straight back/through using a quick stroke, as opposed to the slow stroke I used. Finally, and this was a bit of a surprise to me, he wants me to draw a prominent line on the ball to aid in setting up. I thought side-saddlers didn't benefit from this as much as conventional putters, but apparently my set-up was so inconsistent I need a "cheater-line." I have had only a few rounds since the lesson and while I haven't sunk a ton of putts, I am starting them on-line more often.

I know Tom well; I did a complete rebuild of my full swing with him back in 2019.  I think his advice vis a vis putting is solid; more and more, I believe that setting up the same way every time is crucial to ALL golfers and methods, but MAYBE more difficult for a side saddle putter because by comparison with conventional putting side saddle is so easy and natural that it's easy to get careless, or at least not pay enough attention to setting up the same way.

I'll be curious to see if the line on the ball helps you.  Way back in 2015 when I started putting side saddle, I spoke on the phone with Juan Elizondo, who makes and sells the JuanPutt, and has taught putting on Tour.  He asked me if I had used the line when I was putting conventionally; I told him that I had tried hard to use it, but visually just couldn't get used to it.  He told me that 60% of the golfers he'd worked with were the same way, but that I wouldn't need it putting face on.  I know Tom is a big believer in the line in conventional putting.  For me, even side saddle, the line doesn't work; I was always left-eye dominant, but now my right eye is damaged to the point that I'm basically playing with monovision, which makes the line look tilted left and aimed left.  But I am an unusual case...

I'm glad to know he's added a SAM lab; back when I was working with him, we tried to use Trackman on my putting stroke in the hallway behind the hitting bays, and it wouldn't register because I was in the way of the Doppler. 

1 hour ago, Henry C. said:

Thanks for this. Yes. I think I’m going to try a couple of months doing all putts with the f22 soled to get that consistent swing!  Also. Let’s face it, it’s how the putter is meant to be used and when I’ve experimented it does seem a bit more solid on the swing plane like that !

First time out today with the F22. I spend about an hour on the putting green getting a feel for the putter and testing soleing vs holding vertical closer to 90°. I noticed pretty quickly I was getting the ball rolling end over end a lot better than my previous make shift face on putter (converted belly & wasn’t near heavy enough).

I believe I will have some struggles atleast off the start on slow greens, but will adapt nicely for quicker greens.

I’ve got my 1st round of the year tomorrow, so I’ll report back with an update.

Here is a quick video of a 12’ downhill slight left to righter!

Cheers fellas!

28 minutes ago, TriadGolfer said:

First time out today with the F22. I spend about an hour on the putting green getting a feel for the putter and testing soleing vs holding vertical closer to 90°. I noticed pretty quickly I was getting the ball rolling end over end a lot better than my previous make shift face on putter (converted belly & wasn’t near heavy enough).

I believe I will have some struggles atleast off the start on slow greens, but will adapt nicely for quicker greens.

I’ve got my 1st round of the year tomorrow, so I’ll report back with an update.

Here is a quick video of a 12’ downhill slight left to righter!

Cheers fellas!

Excellent. Good work. Which felt more comfortable for you? Soled or “vertical”? 😀

My F22 came today as well. Haven’t had it on a real green yet and only a few min available on the Big Moss, but I think it is going to be transformational versus the old Teardrop repurposed experiment. 

It feels remarkably stable and puts such a great roll on the ball. Cannot wait to get it in play. 

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Temp back into the 30s here 😡 so I’m still wearing out my Big Moss inside with my new F-22. I get it now, why I kept being told to quit being cheap and just buy the dang thing.

One observation and one question. Observation is I’m much better if I keep the back stroke shorter than I think. Seems to be easy to get too long and not accelerate sufficiently. 

Question — any drills or steps y’all recommend to lock in consistent  ball position, both forward of the R toe and to the R of the same toe? Seems a little more tricky than all those years of conventional putting.

21 hours ago, mshills said:

Temp back into the 30s here 😡 so I’m still wearing out my Big Moss inside with my new F-22. I get it now, why I kept being told to quit being cheap and just buy the dang thing.

One observation and one question. Observation is I’m much better if I keep the back stroke shorter than I think. Seems to be easy to get too long and not accelerate sufficiently. 

Question — any drills or steps y’all recommend to lock in consistent  ball position, both forward of the R toe and to the R of the same toe? Seems a little more tricky than all those years of conventional putting.

The observation: What you are describing is a decelerating putting stroke, and it’s absolutely an issue with ANY putting method. Every golfer that ever lived has to be aware of that tendency, including those of us who putt side saddle.

The question:  I don’t think it’s more tricky than conventional putting; just different. Again, this is generic to ALL putting methods; if ball position isn’t exactly the same every time, then the stroke can’t be either.  FOR ME, that problem pretty much goes away if I’m very intentional about my setup; I stand behind and line up the putter, then step to the left and pin my left elbow to my side; I actually sort of raise it and then bang it against my side to be sure.  That puts my hands in the same position, which I HOPE puts the ball in the same position.  It also locks down my left arm and hand and makes it more of a one-handed stroke, which is the goal anyway.  

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 3:20 PM, mshills said:

Hi,

Is there any way you can explain how or why you feel that the F-22 is so much better than the old teardrop long putter you are using?

I have been messing about with side saddle on and off using cut down broomhandle putters (Ping Pickmeup and Rife Two Bar) with mixed results. I would say i am definitely better using side saddle with long putters but end up missing the short ones which is very embarassing. I am trying to determine for myself whether side saddle is just not for me or would i be more likely to hit better short putts if i had a Bobby Grace F22. 

Sorry if its a silly question but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

19 minutes ago, Corrstown said:

Hi,

Is there any way you can explain how or why you feel that the F-22 is so much better than the old teardrop long putter you are using?

I have been messing about with side saddle on and off using cut down broomhandle putters (Ping Pickmeup and Rife Two Bar) with mixed results. I would say i am definitely better using side saddle with long putters but end up missing the short ones which is very embarassing. I am trying to determine for myself whether side saddle is just not for me or would i be more likely to hit better short putts if i had a Bobby Grace F22. 

Sorry if its a silly question but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

No problem. It’s two things I’ve noticed. First the stability back and through. Can’t say why, but it swings to and fro on a very consistent, stable arc. My L (butt) hand grip is really only with my index finger and thumb, and is very light. My R hand grip is as light as you could imagine.

Second is the roll. The old Teardrop tends to make the ball skid in the first 18-24”. The Grace does not. It is very obvious in the sound the ball makes on my Big Moss and visually apparent when using a ball with a line all the way around. 

1 hour ago, mshills said:

No problem. It’s two things I’ve noticed. First the stability back and through. Can’t say why, but it swings to and fro on a very consistent, stable arc. My L (butt) hand grip is really only with my index finger and thumb, and is very light. My R hand grip is as light as you could imagine.

Second is the roll. The old Teardrop tends to make the ball skid in the first 18-24”. The Grace does not. It is very obvious in the sound the ball makes on my Big Moss and visually apparent when using a ball with a line all the way around. 

Thanks for your very quick reply. Does your F22 have the a** kicker shaft and if so do you feel this is a great benefit over the shaft going straight into the centre of the head like i presume it does on the Teardrop? 

Trying to decide whether to take the plunge - it would probably be very costly for me  as I live in Ireland and would have to pay shipping and import taxes. Thanks again

12 hours ago, Corrstown said:

Thanks for your very quick reply. Does your F22 have the a** kicker shaft and if so do you feel this is a great benefit over the shaft going straight into the centre of the head like i presume it does on the Teardrop? 

Trying to decide whether to take the plunge - it would probably be very costly for me  as I live in Ireland and would have to pay shipping and import taxes. Thanks again

It does have the arze kicker but not the $$$$$ composite shaft. I think it helps but it is hard for me to say for sure. The F22 and the TearDrop are apples and oranges and don’t really have a lot in common. One thing I’m sure of is I’d never drop the extra cheese for the composite shaft, I don’t see the benefit there at all. 

Get your point totally. These putters are expensive here on this side of the Atlantic! I got mine from a very lucky WTB post I put up. Someone on here made me a great deal in my exact specs so I jumped on it. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Eisele24 said:

Hey everyone I’m buying a Bobby grace f22 putter that’s 45” will cutting it down to 42” mess anything up… strictly using it side saddle 

Nope, no issues. They are face balanced in the traditional sense, not about the axis like a LAB. Go for it!

I’ve been reading through the last few pages of this thread, stopping to look up all of the putters mentioned either on eBay or just online, and I have to ask: is there a reasonable side saddle putter that someone can buy just to experiment with and try out out in the $100-150 range???? Everything is $499+, no wonder you don’t see many people trying this. But seriously, if anyone has an older beater they are willing to sell off to let someone stick his toes in the water, let me know. 

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

GP Side Saddle Broomstick, 45"

On 4/7/2024 at 11:38 PM, sm_watts said:

I’ve been reading through the last few pages of this thread, stopping to look up all of the putters mentioned either on eBay or just online, and I have to ask: is there a reasonable side saddle putter that someone can buy just to experiment with and try out out in the $100-150 range???? Everything is $499+, no wonder you don’t see many people trying this. But seriously, if anyone has an older beater they are willing to sell off to let someone stick his toes in the water, let me know. 

Two affordable options that you might consider are Bell putters, or two-ball putters made by edtheclubmaker; both will show up in an eBay search for face on/side saddle putters.  In both cases, you’re talking about a little below $200 including shipping, and both are decent options.  Anything cheaper than that is going to be VERY used.

Be sure to get something with a 79* lie angle, and preferably with very little loft.  You might also look online to get an idea of what length to get.  I think it’s better to start longer and then cut it down if needed.  

I agree with you that cost is a factor in keeping people from experimenting with face on, but the inability to go into Golf Galaxy or the PGA Superstore and try one out is another.  But the biggest deterrent by far, IMO, is simply tradition and unwillingness to be “different”.  There are only two of us at my club that putt this way, and there are some absolutely TERRIBLE putters that would be better Day One if they converted.  They are much more ok with being terrible than with being different.

1 hour ago, bluedot said:

Two affordable options that you might consider are Bell putters, or two-ball putters made by edtheclubmaker; both will show up in an eBay search for face on/side saddle putters.  In both cases, you’re talking about a little below $200 including shipping, and both are decent options.  Anything cheaper than that is going to be VERY used.

Be sure to get something with a 79* lie angle, and preferably with very little loft.  You might also look online to get an idea of what length to get.  I think it’s better to start longer and then cut it down if needed.  

I saw everything edtheclubmaker has and I prefer the EGK model mainly for the additional head weight, but it seems like an offset/double bend shaft isn’t ideal for side saddle putting. Based on what I’m reading, I think I’m looking for a center shafted, 470+ gram head, with a straight shaft. Does that sound right?

Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

56 minutes ago, sm_watts said:

I saw everything edtheclubmaker has and I prefer the EGK model mainly for the additional head weight, but it seems like an offset/double bend shaft isn’t ideal for side saddle putting. Based on what I’m reading, I think I’m looking for a center shafted, 470+ gram head, with a straight shaft. Does that sound right?

Yes.

If you can find an inexpensive Ping B90 putter, they work ok as a side saddle experiment, but you’re not likely to save more than a few bucks versus something like an EGK by the time you buy the B90, adjust length, and regrip. 

I joined a club last week, and Sunday was my first day at the course. I rolled in about 1P for a 3P tee time — got a quick lunch then attacked the putting green for an extended practice session. All of the work I’ve done side saddle has been inside on my Big Moss this winter and wanted some time on a real putting surface. It certainly attracted a lot of attention!

Building some confidence, but the real test will come on in-season greens with some $ at stake. All in due time. 

If I'm going to be using a putter side saddle, which I'm assuming will be as vertical as possible, what's the highest loft on a putter head that you guys would find acceptable?  Is 3 degrees too much?  I doubt that most of these can be bent.

Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

If you are still looking for something to start sidesaddle with I have a GP Putter that I am not using. It was my second sidesaddle putter after the Resso Cook model. The putter is  in good shape but not perfect. Face is 99% sole is 60% top has been polished and is 60%. (All this subjective of courser). I added some weight to the head, normal is 400g this one is 456g. The leather headcover is perfect. It has a Super Stroke split grip in good shape. I will take $100 plus shipping. I like the putter but have gone to the L.A.B. 2.1 which is an entirely different putter in cost and concept. I suggest looking at the GP website to see the putter.

On 4/11/2024 at 3:39 PM, Horseshoe2 said:

If you are still looking for something to start sidesaddle with I have a GP Putter that I am not using. It was my second sidesaddle putter after the Resso Cook model. The putter is  in good shape but not perfect. Face is 99% sole is 60% top has been polished and is 60%. (All this subjective of courser). I added some weight to the head, normal is 400g this one is 456g. The leather headcover is perfect. It has a Super Stroke split grip in good shape. I will take $100 plus shipping. I like the putter but have gone to the L.A.B. 2.1 which is an entirely different putter in cost and concept. I suggest looking at the GP website to see the putter.

The GP putter is an excellent "foot in the door" style side saddle.  If you can feel slightly confident with that and think the approach has merit (which I think most here would say it does) then its time to open the wallet and get a F22.  Still the best one I've found and I have about every side saddle version BG has ever come out with (and he's basically got a strangle hold on boutique side saddle putters).  

• Like 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

You guys can rest easy knowing that the GP is on its way to Wyo. Thanks to Horseshoe2 for sponsoring my membership into the club 😂

• Like 1

Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

Any side saddlers here use broomstick style for longer putts?  I’ve tinkered with both with my F22. With broomstick style I use an open stance with my feet together and use a pendulum stroke with my left arm parallel to the hole. I’m not as accurate if I keep my left arm close to my body.  I’m learning that with either method I have to keep my right eye over the ball to start it correctly. Regardless of where I settle, I do believe my conventional putting days are over.  

On 4/16/2024 at 7:05 AM, OakHillsNo.88 said:

Any side saddlers here use broomstick style for longer putts?  I’ve tinkered with both with my F22. With broomstick style I use an open stance with my feet together and use a pendulum stroke with my left arm parallel to the hole. I’m not as accurate if I keep my left arm close to my body.  I’m learning that with either method I have to keep my right eye over the ball to start it correctly. Regardless of where I settle, I do believe my conventional putting days are over.  

Welcome to the "Dark Side"!🙂

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John Wooden

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau