2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Best courses in Twin Cities, MN

rlheiman

[quote name='whysguy' timestamp='1329862401' post='4344493']
Buddy of mine bought property at the Jewel when it went into receivership and now we go down there and play a few times a year.; Great course, nice folks. Mix of links and woods. greens are very good and relatively quick.
Owned a business a few blocks from Meadowbrook for 25 yrs. Played it countless times. Gets the most play of any of the twin cites munis.
Active group but often very busy and really, really slow play. Especially due to the blind shots. Blind approach on #3, blind tee on #5, blind approach on #7, blind approach on #11, blind tee on #13, blind tee on #15. Arrgh, its a 4 hr round weekdays and 5 plus on weekends. Play Brookview instead.
Somersby, a wonderful course, with a group who think way too much of themselves. But if you get the chance, PLAY IT..
[/quote]
Yeah, that's getting to be any of the MPLS courses. Gross is a 5 hour round on the weekends usually. Hiawatha has been as well. (Oh that could be a cool little track with some badly-needed TLC.) I HATE blind shots, -especially on munis. Never played Brookview. Looks OK. Little short on the card, but oh well. It would be a new course to play. :partytime2: Gettin' a little burned out on the local courses. Will have to expand the radius this year provided gas isn't $6/gal. :scare2:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree with a lot of the posts I've read here so far. Love Troy Burne. Played Mississippi Dunes last year twice....horrible damage all over the course. Also, the amount of blind shots drove me insane. Some real nice holes but overall I wouldn't recommend it.

I actually really like Prestwick in Woodbury. Since the addition of the black tee's and the redone bunkers it plays really nice. Tip for playing Prestwick, don't play it in the fall. Everytime I've played in the fall, the greens have been plugged. My buddy hit 16 GIR and shot like an 80 (he's not even bad with the putter). However, if you play during the summer the course is a lot of fun.

Also really like Loggers Trail. Played it twice in a weekend last year in the windiest weather I've ever played in. Made the course ridiculously difficult.

If you haven't played Stoneridge, do it. I absolutely love that course. I just moved out to the west side of the cities and am kind of lost without some of these courses. Looks very difficult to find quality public tracks out here, might have to go find myself a private course.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Stuge' timestamp='1313978081' post='3508247']
[quote name='Jeembo' timestamp='1313703639' post='3500141']
Honestly, I can't really remember offhand. Most of the par 5s were blind iirc - 18, the one with the creek up the left side and waterfall short of the green, #2 or 3 - the one with the island-ish green.. It's a huge pet peeve of mine to not be able to see where my ball ends up from the tee if I stroke one down the middle. Lots of my hate for that course could've stemmed from how badly I played that day though.
[/quote]

Appreciate your reviews, but I'm not sure how much stock to put in any of them when you admit your "hate" for a particular course stems from how poorly you played on a particular day. How much of a factor does the weather play in your rankings? Sorry to be a dick, but I think we'd all be better served with assessments that revolve around the actual golf course.
[/quote]

It's all good, take em or leave em. Meadows and Chaska are the only ones I played less than a handful of times on my list, so those are more 'first impressions' types of thoughts.

I liked your thoughts, mr divots. The Wilds definitely tore me up.

Also, my apologies for taking 6 months to respond :) . This thread deserves a bump though - great info in here!

And fwiw, golf in MN is WAY better than golf in CA. I moved out here in november and it takes 6 hours to get 18 in on their dumpy munis!

One course that has lots of tradition and usually one of my favorites in the Twin Cities is Keller. They will be getting a remake at the end of '12 and I think will be shut down for '13. I don't know if that is why there greens were in such terrible shape or not, but the greens were in really rough shape this past weekend. Lots of dead spots, it made it really tough to putt. Hopefully they'll get the greens fixed for this summer before the shut down.

• 4 months later...

For 2012 I have played them all, so far Stoneridge and Troy Burne are killing it. Willingers in a third place. Rush Creek is over manicured, and way too expensive. Good thing about Troy Burne and Stoneridge is how close they are, so you can have a all day experience of the best golf available in the cities. Now for september, as every year, I will go to Giants Ridge and Wilderness. It cant get better than that.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

Have not played Stoneridge this year, but Troy and White Eagle make a great 36 hole day too. I do really like Stoneridge, just not gotten there.
And I am really sad, my regular golf buddy tore up his knee last week and done with all sports for 6wks. He has never played Giants or the Wilderness and we had plans to go north. Now all gone. Arrgh. And... I'm playing as well as anytime in my life for this time of year where I;ve sometimes come to the sad realization that I just suck and will never get any better. This year, so far, I'm having a blast and scoring pretty well.
I may just make the drive and play both Giants ridge courses and then head back to the cities.

Dont know how many of you get to the south western edge, but I'd like to throw out a recommmendation to play Deer Run. I've played it a lot this year and the course is in wonderful shape and the folks are a super bunch. It might play a bit short for some, but I like the track and the staff are awesome. Starts with Tom Abts and runs all the way thru.
Try the "Fun Play Fridays" gig. Lunch at the turn and really cute girls with free stuff at many of the tee boxes.

• 1 month later...

IMO the best public courses are Stoneridge, Troy Burne, and Legends.

On a side note, has anybody else noticed the lack of quality golf options in the south metro (dakota county specifically). I used to live in Woodbury, and there are tons of options within 10 minutes... Stoneridge, Prestwick, Eagle Valley, heck even oak marsh and the 9 hole ponds are close and OK. I live in Eagan now, and there is not much down there. Valleywood is absolutely brutal imo. Inverwood is usually in decent shape, but the layout sucks. From the tips, there are like 4, maybe 5 driver holes, no thanks. Crystal Lake is usually in good shape. Legends is great, but about 20 min from central Eagan. What's up with this? Seems to me there was a missed opportunity to build something decent in Eagan or Apple Valley before they were built out. Maybe this was a result of having private clubs like Mendakota, Southview, etc in Mendota Heights. Anybody else notice this?

Your are right. There is a lack of quality courses on Eagan, Apple Valley and Bloomington. The eastern and western suburbs are way better as it stands now. In the south cities you have to go to Shakopee (Wilds, legends, Meadows) to find decent courses. Willingers definitely better but 40 miles south.

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

I haven't gone up north the to the nice resort courses. But one thing I have found is there are very few good "long" courses in Minnesota. Most rounds I feel like I only hit my 4-9 irons about 4 to 5 times depending on the length of the par 3's.

Hopefully a whole new setup coming soon!

Ping Anser 2 putter

• 1 month later...

[quote name='iStank' timestamp='1354571730' post='6013557']
My fav for the price is Edinburg.

Is it possible to find a membership for under a grand anywhere in the TC?
[/quote]
Tartan Park, that used to be fully private for 3M, 27 holes, had a $1,000 membership this year. And is an Audubon golf course, not many people plays there, so you can find nice conditions. Close to $1000 you have Mississippi Dunes also. Eagle Valley is at $1500.

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='iStank' timestamp='1354910502' post='6034481']
Lake Elmo is too far away. G dang it. I'm used to playing 500 bucks up north.
[/quote]

Tartan Park is better than a lot of places and at $1,000 it's probably a better value than similar places in the east metro like Loggers Trail or Oak Glen. Depending on where you live, New Richmond in western Wisconsin is very nice for the money (not that it helps you if Lake Elmo is too far away).

[quote name='Stuge' timestamp='1355790120' post='6083029']
[quote name='iStank' timestamp='1354910502' post='6034481']
Lake Elmo is too far away. G dang it. I'm used to playing 500 bucks up north.
[/quote]

Tartan Park is better than a lot of places and at $1,000 it's probably a better value than similar places in the east metro like Loggers Trail or Oak Glen. Depending on where you live, New Richmond in western Wisconsin is very nice for the money (not that it helps you if Lake Elmo is too far away).
[/quote]

I'm in the western burbs.

• 1 month later...

iStank,

Depending on where you live in the western suburbs, you might want to consider a place like Fox Hollow or Dalhgren, but both are probably more than $1,000. Island View in Waconia is really good for the money, but it is more than $1000.

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='iStank' timestamp='1361154205' post='6448805']
I'm in Crystal. Waconia is a little too far out. I'm so mad too. My main two golfing buddies joined Minneapolis Golf Club.
[/quote]
Good for them joining Minneapolis GC but when I played there I was really dissapointed. I think you can find better courses for your money around. TPC being one

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[quote name='linkerpan' timestamp='1361208155' post='6451999']
I'm in Crystal. Waconia is a little too far out. I'm so mad too. My main two golfing buddies joined Minneapolis Golf Club.
[/quote]
Good for them joining Minneapolis GC but when I played there I was really dissapointed. I think you can find better courses for your money around. TPC being one
[/quote]

Are MGC and TPC even in the same ballpark as far as dues and initiation? Minneapolis has some pretty good deals going on for younger members.

[quote name='winn0040' timestamp='1361243153' post='6455619']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Are MGC and TPC even in the same ballpark as far as dues and initiation? Minneapolis has some pretty good deals going on for younger members.
[/quote]
Sorry I can't help because my friends are members thru their corporations (Wells Fargo and United Health), so they don't worry in how much, as the company pays. I can tell you MGC really dissapointed me, so you better go and see first. Even the range is a micro range. But at the same time I think there is no need like in other states to belong to a club, unless you really need the social part. Our courses are generally well maintained, weekdays are fast paced days in most private owned courses (not belonging to a city or county), and then in weekends you can afford to play the expensive better ones, so the rounds will never be 5 hours.
In less than 20 min you can be in very good ones.
Also, $8,000 a year are good to take you out 4 times in the winter time to Sawgrass, Dove Mountain, Pebble Beach and Doral, no joke!

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[/quote]
[/quote]
I'd be curious to find out when you played MGC and whether it was before or after the recent work they did out there (I think it was 3-5 years ago or so). Unless the clubhouse and/or practice facilities are really important to you, I don't think the TPC can hold a candle to MGC.